AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same exact thought.
Especially after seeing CW react to the phrase almost as if it has a personal, very negative meaning to her.
I do think she was already on a downward spiral from the questions (as others have suggested) but it's hard to miss her specific facial expression going quite sour, at the timing of the of mention of the "cornbread mafia".

jmo
her expressions started to waiver when asked
"what do you think should happen to whoever is responsible?"

also--the blue minivan... DW acts like this is first he ever heard about it. He shakes his head "NO" and repeats....a blue minivan ???"

Just my observations today.
Dr. Phil - 5-Year-Old Summer Wells’ Disappeared From Her Home - Bing video

Could have to do with drugs. Meth, crack etc etc.
I seriously doubt the real cornbread mafia guys are dealing in meth and crack (which they have never been accused, Johnny Boone is head of a marijuana syndicate, one of many, now legal) he is now making literal millions selling CBD products in dispensaries all over the country, featured in High Times and Whole Foods magazines, amoung others.
You can order their (trademarked) products online here:
The Cornbread Mafia - America's Best Cannabis - Cornbread Hemp™

Last edited:
From what was stated in the show segment (I don't have the time reference, sorry) it's a phrase referring to the local TN organized crime, not the actual group you've mentioned. It's now known as a more general term. Anyway that's the way I understood it.
Yes, Don called it the "Hillb*** mafia" and I gathered they were referring to some generic drug cartel. So far no one I know has heard the term "cornbread mafia" and I was surprised the men used it.

If you follow Don's comments it seems like he's referring not to any organized drug syndicate/cartel but more like a group of local drug users who steal stuff from them.

It's not the first time he's mentioned it in that way. He's talked about meth-using neighbors, meth-using coworkers, the "Mexican mafia," including how he ran drugs to Mexico in the past. CB even claimed Don was kidnapped by them in her drunken phone call.

The conversation started around 24:00.

you know what about those fellas that
24:09
live around there in the cornbread mafia
24:11
well
24:12
cornbread
24:13
that's what we call where we live
24:15
(Don): i have no idea i've heard about some
24:17
hillbilly mafia type stuff and
24:19
everything you know and
24:21
all these different voices we've tried
24:23
to steer clear from all these this is
24:24
wireless i've tried to steer clear from
24:27
all these people just
24:29
as much as possible
24:31
and i think they've kind of seen us as
24:32
targets because they have come up and
24:35
stole our stuff
24:38
and stole all my mechanic tools at one
24:41
time

Last edited:
Yes, Don called it the "Hillb*** mafia" so I gathered he was referring to some generic drug cartel. So far no one I know has heard the term "cornbread mafia" so I was surprised the men used it.

If you follow Don's comments it seems like he's referring not to any organized drug syndicate/cartel but more like a group of local drug users who steal stuff from them.

It's not the first time he's mentioned it in that way. He's talked about meth-using neighbors, meth-using coworkers, the "Mexican mafia," including how he ran drugs to Mexico in the past. CB even claimed Don was kidnapped by them in her drunken phone call.

The conversation started around 24:00.

you know what about those fellas that
24:09
live around there in the cornbread mafia
24:11
well
24:12
cornbread
24:13
that's what we call where we live
24:15
(Don): i have no idea i've heard about some
24:17
hillbilly mafia type stuff and
24:19
everything you know and
24:21
all these different voices we've tried
24:23
to steer clear from all these this is
24:24
wireless i've tried to steer clear from
24:27
all these people just
24:29
as much as possible
24:31
and i think they've kind of seen us as
24:32
targets because they have come up and
24:35
stole our stuff
24:38
and stole all my mechanic tools at one
24:41
time
AHHH
That's probably why she disengaged and left

The Hillbilly mafia was HER lie to her family member.

Right after she was clearly upset about the question of what should be done to whoever took Summer ??

A lot of characteristics there going on in her demeanor

JMO

The following are my own thoughts, ideas and opinions based on my own feelings:

Yes, they should be grateful for the publicity and probably are, but it must still be an extremely stressful situation. Every word out of their mouths has been scrutinized and CBW probably feels immense pressure to say the “right things”, to remember all the suggestions that have been given, the criticisms that she’s read, etc as she tries to get help finding her child.

My heart aches for her and her situation. Imagining that my child had vanished and I was trying to communicate effectively enough to get help, but being extremely emotional and just am not able to find the words to clearly convey what I want to say makes me feel panicked even now. Being in that situation for real, having been criticized and ridiculed, knowing that people are just waiting for her to make a mistake must make it hard to breath. Just the fact that she is there at all says a lot to me.

If the Cornbread Mafia bit did push her over the edge it may be because she’s hanging onto the hope that Summer was abducted by someone that really wanted a little girl of their own, someone who is taking care of her needs and giving her a good life. Mention of the mafia would bring back the realty that in all likelihood a girl taken by them would be forced into the sex trade and horribly abused.

Do you really think some could've taken this child and is taking care of her needs and giving her a good life?
Better question, do you think it's even a possibility that Candus entertains that possibility?
I do not. She's afraid to answer. Why is the question. Is she being controlled by Don and is afraid of him? He's faced DA abuse before at least once, where she refused to press charges but he still faced DUI with a loaded gun among others.
Is she afraid to answer that particular question because there's some truth to it or is it because Don has brought up the mafia before in interviews? Has he convinced her that they could've taken Summer and she might be next, which would explain why he said that 'they' know they're married?
Other obvious explanations are that she just can't take it all either because she knows what happened and just cracked under pressure or she can't take the guilt. She too is a person of interest as no one has been ruled out by LE's own words. They all are. Is Candus Sr. still helping some distant relative in another state?
So many questions... Tomorrow's show should be interesting.

From what was stated in the show segment (I don't have the time reference, sorry) it's a phrase referring to the local TN organized crime, not the actual group you've mentioned. It's now known as a more general term. Anyway that's the way I understood it.

I understood it that way as well, and based on the reaction it evoked, I think there's a huge chance it's involved somehow. A debt paid.

There's no rational reason to connect Summer's disappearance to any "cornbread mafia" syndicate. The 74-year old leader was a fugitive for years and caught in 2016 then plead guilty in 2017. The syndicate itself was busted up in the late 1980's.

I can't imagine why the behavior panel men even brought it up as it makes no sense. IMO.

Cornbread Mafia leader Johnny Boone pleads guilty in federal court
https://www.amazon.com/Cornbread-Mafia-Homegrown-Syndicates-Marijuana/dp/0762788437

I think the intent was to simply introduce an alternate narrative so they could then gauge reaction. The interviewers were well informed on the family's background. I feel they had prepared unanticipated questions that could seem relevant on the surface, but they were purely to increase cognitive load and see if responses became more erratic or evasive. Something the subjects had not prepared for. IMO

But, it has been mentioned that drug of choice was weed.
Didn't CW go to cannibus store with grandma, H and SW that day??? Per H and CW in interview with CM and others.
So no need for a dealer unless some other type of drug was being used, which in that case, opens up a whole other can of worms, IMO
The store they went to, I think it was called The Hippy House, doesn't sell products with THC. Weed is illegal in Tennesee. So if weed is the drug of choice, there would indeed be a dealer. H claimed he saw texts between CW and her dealer. MOO.

AHHH
That's probably why she disengaged and left

The Hillbilly mafia was HER lie to her family member.

Right after she was clearly upset about the question of what should be done to whoever took Summer ??

A lot of characteristics there going on in her demeanor

JMO
Yeah, I have to wonder if it was the question (at 21:20) about "What do you think should happen to the person who did this?" that started upsetting Candus.

Maybe she felt she didn't answer in the "best" way. Maybe she felt the behavior men accused her of being involved. Maybe she started thinking about the person who took Summer and likely harmed her - that would surely upset a parent. IOW, who knows?

Last edited:
I think the intent was to simply introduce an alternate narrative so they could then gauge reaction. The interviewers were well informed on the family's background. I feel they had prepared unanticipated questions that could seem relevant on the surface, but they were purely to increase cognitive load and see if responses became more erratic or evasive. Something the subjects had not prepared for. IMO
I agree, the investigators went off anticipated script and Candus was unprepared. It's been hard enough for her to keep up with what she's already memorized. IMO.

Ah, I see, thanks! Good analysis and interesting responses from both DW and CB.

I missed it! Called my Ma from Home Depot asked her to watch.

Got in and my 83 year old mom says "Who in the h*** is The Cornbread Mafia?" I thought she may be confused. Nope.

<modsnip>

So I guess I didn't miss too much.

Actually I think you did miss a lot. We have never seen that much emotion from CW, not even close. She REALLY reacted. Pure agony.

I agree, the investigators went off anticipated script and Candus was unprepared. It's been hard enough for her to keep up with what she's already memorized. IMO.
bbm
Maybe ?
Hence the reason for her annoyance ?

Speculation :
Wonder if DW and CBW had asked for the questions beforehand, so they'd know how to answer ?
And if this didn't happen ( & I personally doubt it), then CBW became flustered when asked what she might have considered inquiries that were too personal ?
Regardless, it was unfortunate that she stormed out of the interview after receiving assistance with removing her mic .
Her daughter is missing, and that interview and others from professionals/msm should be the only focus ?
Even if questions are asked that she thought were invasive, the only thing that should matter is finding Summer.
Everything else should be superfluous.
MOO.

Last edited:
They can be, for sure.
Can you explain what you mean about it not being incorrect? Did you interpret it to be that CW had taken a walk to try and locate Summer? Because I interpreted it to mean that CW had gone for a walk, and in that time, Summer had disappeared. I guess I need to go back and re-listen.

The odd part about reporting age 4 instead of 5 is that I think it's unlikely for the dispatch to change something like that on the repeat. I think it's much more likely that the caller reported that age. And I wouldn't even have thought much about that, either, except that then there is almost no printed clarification of a birthdate. In my experience, that's nearly always part of the first info dump. D.O.B, gender, physical description, special circumstances, etc.
I find it odd that her D.O.B is not listed everywhere.

I meant that the initial communications hit the main points: little girl missing from home, on foot (ie not in a vehicle), last seen by mom. Dispatcher's job is to communicate the crucial points to LE - not build up a narrative of who was doing what and when.

As for the age, I don't make too much of it. She turned 5 a little more than 4 months before she went missing. If CBW reported her as 4, it happens. Summer is her 4th child and CBW was in a panic. Obviously age is a big one for a parent to get incorrect, but I give CBW a pass on that one, partially because I think covid blurred/paused time for parents in some ways. The fact that CPS removed the boys speaks to their parenting far more than the possibility that she got the age wrong.

JMO.

Birthdate: Feb 4, 2016: poster

bbm
Maybe ?
Hence the reason for her annoyance ?

Speculation :
Wonder if DW and CBW had asked for the questions beforehand, so they'd know how to answer ?
And if this didn't happen ( & I personally doubt it), then CBW became flustered when asked what she might have considered inquiries that were too personal ?
Regardless, it was unfortunate that she stormed out of the interview after receiving assistance with removing her mic ; as her daughter is missing, and that interview and others from professionals/msm should be the only focus ?
Even if questions are asked that she thought were invasive, the only thing that should matter is finding Summer.
Everything else should be superfluous.
MOO.
By both CBW and DW's responses thus far, it's clear that they are only there to clear their names, imo.
Don going into FB and YT'ers accusing them as opposed to saying, "I tell them we had nothing to do with this!" is very telling. I doubt she wanted to do this. I think it was all about Don clearing his 'good reputation' *cough*.
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members