AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really think some could've taken this child and is taking care of her needs and giving her a good life?
Better question, do you think it's even a possibility that Candus entertains that possibility?
I do not. She's afraid to answer. Why is the question. Is she being controlled by Don and is afraid of him? He's faced DA abuse before at least once, where she refused to press charges but he still faced DUI with a loaded gun among others.
Is she afraid to answer that particular question because there's some truth to it or is it because Don has brought up the mafia before in interviews? Has he convinced her that they could've taken Summer and she might be next, which would explain why he said that 'they' know they're married?
Other obvious explanations are that she just can't take it all either because she knows what happened and just cracked under pressure or she can't take the guilt. She too is a person of interest as no one has been ruled out by LE's own words. They all are. Is Candus Sr. still helping some distant relative in another state?
So many questions... Tomorrow's show should be interesting.
No, I don’t think that Summer is safe and well cared for.

"Dr." Phil is only interested in ratings. The guys from The Behavior Panel all agreed that the parents were being truthful. They both took polygraphs. Had they failed, they would have been grilled like a lobster in Cabos.

If asked that question about a "Cornbread Mafia", I would have broken down as well knowing they were not taking this situation very seriously. Disappointment again. Candus needs someone on her side. Everyone is taking shots at her and there is no evidence known to the public that connects her to the disappearance of Summer. None.

FGS Candus is the product of a generational rough and dysfunctional family as is Don, they are just simple people - not evil.

Innocence is presumed.

Yet another interview with DW. I was a bit taken aback at his answer to the reporter's question at 1:40: "Did you have anything to do with your daughter's disappearance?" Forty seconds of talking and he didn't answer the question. The reporter had to ask again.

BTW, there's absolutely nothing in the video from any neighbors. Go figure.

Neighbors react as parents of Summer Wells, missing since June, appear on Dr. Phil | wbir.com

Edited to add a video from the neighbor who heard the scream:

“While we were out at one point doing survey lines and there was a flash of a car that went up Candus and Donnie’s driveway,” she recalled. “Something about it struck me wrong.”

She and her family next heard a truck door slamming and dismissed it as their neighbors.

The next sound they heard, though, was harder to justify.

About an hour and a half before Summer is thought to go missing – JodiSue, her son, and her daughter heard something far more suspicious: a scream.
“We heard this shrill, almost animalistic scream,” her son said.

Animalistic, but not an animal, according to Brown.
Neighbor of Summer Wells says she heard a scream shortly before she went missing | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Last edited:
"Dr." Phil is only interested in ratings. The guys from The Behavior Panel all agreed that the parents were being truthful. They both took polygraphs. Had they failed, they would have been grilled like a lobster in Cabos.

If asked that question about a "Cornbread Mafia", I would have broken down as well knowing they were not taking this situation very seriously. Disappointment again. Candus needs someone on her side. Everyone is taking shots at her and there is no evidence known to the public that connects her to the disappearance of Summer. None.

FGS Candus is the product of a generational rough and dysfunctional family as is Don, they are just simple people - not evil.

Innocence is presumed.

I have no idea what Candus and/or Don know or if either of them had anything to do with Summer's disappearance. However, watching Candus on Dr. Phil it appears to me she in the throes of a mental breakdown. IMO.

Innocence is presumed.
And you are assuming that being victims of generational child abusers and dysfunctional families makes them innocent, simple and not evil. Both of them.
They were taking the 'situation' extremely seriously.
While Dr. Phil cares about his ratings, I don't believe it's a conspiracy. Listen to the Wells' words and behavior. They didn't take 'shots' at her. Maybe they should be less concerned about social media, specifically Don's multiple FB pages, and more concerned about their daughter?
Also, we only have Don's word for their passing their lie detector tests. Candus had to go back to take a second as she walked out of her first, or so Don said.
Why do you think LE say that no one is excluded as a suspect? Don't you think they would've excluded them both if they'd passed and had been more focused on an abduction which they've said they don't believe happened?
If anything, LE has been EXTREMELY generous with Don with his arrests, his last DV while on probation, DUI with a loaded weapon to boot.
We'll see what happens when he next goes to court with his latest DUI, while on probation too. No license, insurance and walked out of arraignment after an appearance ticket. I call that treating him with kid gloves without going where it should be gone.

I held off on watching the Dr. Phil episode until reading through here. I was curious about the reactions of such a diverse group of people. Then I watched the show so I could draw my own conclusions.

Unfortunately I was simply reminded of why I do not watch TV shows like Dr. Phil. I had been hoping the show would bring attention to Summer and her actual CASE but- no.

IMO, the disrespect conveyed towards the Wells was palpable to me on the part of Dr. Phil, and when the 'human lie detectors' went down the route of how Dr. Phil would react if his son were taken and what should be done to those people, and persisted in implying that CW reacted oddly and inappropriately to that question (because of course she should have said something awful and violent and react like any NORMAL parent of a missing child would react, was that the jist??) I turned it off. I'm sorry...I didn't realize there was a 'normal' reaction for this? Because if there is, I'm not having it any more than CW was.

Why has not a one of these supposedly caring, helpful professionals whose only alleged desire is to find Summer and find out what has happened to her, not acknowledge that CW is an exhausted, intensely stressed, and possibly very unwell mother who has currently lost all four of her children? That Summer was lost on her watch and she is living with that loss every second of every day ?? Whether they were typical parenting decisions, poor parenting decisions, abysmal parenting decisions, or criminal parenting decisions that have cost the Wells' their children matters tremendously- for the children' safety, for locating Summer, and for the Wells' family as a whole moving forward. That's a job for CPS and LE to sift through.
But in the meantime, there is a presumption of innocence and no persons of interest named by LE in the disappearance of Summer... where is the behavioral analysis of a mother destroyed by guilt?? And I don't mean guilty of a crime, necessarily. As easy as it would be to say guilt=guilty of a crime, that is hugely over-simplified and IMO might have these 'experts' barking up the wrong tree just for the sake of sensationalism.

Several years back, a toddler in our community was accidentally killed by their parent in their own driveway. They backed over the child in their vehicle, a pretty classic accident unfortunately, one parent thought the other was watching the child, the child slipped out and was killed almost instantly. A few neighbors saw it happen and while everyone knew it was a tragic accident, there was much whispering about the parent being on their phone (they weren't) being drunk or high (they weren't) being distracted by an argument they had just had with spouse (they weren't) etc. There were no charges because there was no crime and privacy was strongly requested for the family.
Neither parent ended up being able to move past blaming the other, or themselves, and some time later, finally in the midst of a divorce, one parent committed suicide. The other children in the home were sent to live with relatives and the remaining parent entered rehab. It was a complete and utter breakdown of a family...and that family had previously been totally 'normal.' Normal, right?

I have no idea what happened to Summer. I have my own thoughts, and most of them are not good or happy or have a healthy, happy Summer returning to a healthy, happy family- nor have they been from the beginning. But how does compassion ever hurt in the search for a missing child?

Point of this rant? I won't be watching Dr. Phil again. I'd rather hear what K9 trailed Summer to the end of the driveway, how certain that handler was that it was a solid trail, and what SAR techniques were next employed as soon as they realized they had lost Summer's scent when they hit pavement. That's what I want to know. Not why CW didn't say the 'right' thing about what should happen to the person who 'took Summer.'

I held off on watching the Dr. Phil episode until reading through here. I was curious about the reactions of such a diverse group of people. Then I watched the show so I could draw my own conclusions.

Unfortunately I was simply reminded of why I do not watch TV shows like Dr. Phil. I had been hoping the show would bring attention to Summer and her actual CASE but- no.

IMO, the disrespect conveyed towards the Wells was palpable to me on the part of Dr. Phil, and when the 'human lie detectors' went down the route of how Dr. Phil would react if his son were taken and what should be done to those people, and persisted in implying that CW reacted oddly and inappropriately to that question (because of course she should have said something awful and violent and react like any NORMAL parent of a missing child would react, was that the jist??) I turned it off. I'm sorry...I didn't realize there was a 'normal' reaction for this? Because if there is, I'm not having it any more than CW was.

Why has not a one of these supposedly caring, helpful professionals whose only alleged desire is to find Summer and find out what has happened to her, not acknowledge that CW is an exhausted, intensely stressed, and possibly very unwell mother who has currently lost all four of her children? That Summer was lost on her watch and she is living with that loss every second of every day ?? Whether they were typical parenting decisions, poor parenting decisions, abysmal parenting decisions, or criminal parenting decisions that have cost the Wells' their children matters tremendously- for the children' safety, for locating Summer, and for the Wells' family as a whole moving forward. That's a job for CPS and LE to sift through.
But in the meantime, there is a presumption of innocence and no persons of interest named by LE in the disappearance of Summer... where is the behavioral analysis of a mother destroyed by guilt?? And I don't mean guilty of a crime, necessarily. As easy as it would be to say guilt=guilty of a crime, that is hugely over-simplified and IMO might have these 'experts' barking up the wrong tree just for the sake of sensationalism.

Several years back, a toddler in our community was accidentally killed by their parent in their own driveway. They backed over the child in their vehicle, a pretty classic accident unfortunately, one parent thought the other was watching the child, the child slipped out and was killed almost instantly. A few neighbors saw it happen and while everyone knew it was a tragic accident, there was much whispering about the parent being on their phone (they weren't) being drunk or high (they weren't) being distracted by an argument they had just had with spouse (they weren't) etc. There were no charges because there was no crime and privacy was strongly requested for the family.
Neither parent ended up being able to move past blaming the other, or themselves, and some time later, finally in the midst of a divorce, one parent committed suicide. The other children in the home were sent to live with relatives and the remaining parent entered rehab. It was a complete and utter breakdown of a family...and that family had previously been totally 'normal.' Normal, right?

I have no idea what happened to Summer. I have my own thoughts, and most of them are not good or happy or have a healthy, happy Summer returning to a healthy, happy family- nor have they been from the beginning. But how does compassion ever hurt in the search for a missing child?

Point of this rant? I won't be watching Dr. Phil again. I'd rather hear what K9 trailed Summer to the end of the driveway, how certain that handler was that it was a solid trail, and what SAR techniques were next employed as soon as they realized they had lost Summer's scent when they hit pavement. That's what I want to know. Not why CW didn't say the 'right' thing about what should happen to the person who 'took Summer.'
I'm more troubled why the parents story seems to change as to the time,why DW seems to make everything about himself,why Grandma took off.I'm not accusing them of killing Summer but at the same time LE hasn't cleared and so many things they do and say don't add up.

And you are assuming that being victims of generational child abusers and dysfunctional families makes them innocent, simple and not evil. Both of them.
They were taking the 'situation' extremely seriously.
While Dr. Phil cares about his ratings, I don't believe it's a conspiracy. Listen to the Wells' words and behavior. They didn't take 'shots' at her. Maybe they should be less concerned about social media, specifically Don's multiple FB pages, and more concerned about their daughter?
Also, we only have Don's word for their passing their lie detector tests. Candus had to go back to take a second as she walked out of her first, or so Don said.
Why do you think LE say that no one is excluded as a suspect? Don't you think they would've excluded them both if they'd passed and had been more focused on an abduction which they've said they don't believe happened?
If anything, LE has been EXTREMELY generous with Don with his arrests, his last DV while on probation, DUI with a loaded weapon to boot.
We'll see what happens when he next goes to court with his latest DUI, while on probation too. No license, insurance and walked out of arraignment after an appearance ticket. I call that treating him with kid gloves without going where it should be gone.
bbm
Ita with this entire post.

Some good points you mention :

Re. the lavender bolded :Yes, I agree that Dr. Phil and the other interviewers are treating this with utmost seriousness and respect for the 'interviewees'.

Re. the green bolded : No, they certainly did not . That would be unprofessional. What is important is that a reaction was noted when the subject of Summer was raised , as in when DW was asked if he had anything to do with her disappearance and he refused to answer.
And again when the topic of the "cornbread mafia" and possible criminal element came up, CW reacted negatively.
Why ?

Re. the brown bolded : When LE say the Wells have taken -- and passed/not passed -- a poly, that will be believable.
Until then, it's speculation.
My .02 is that we're not going to hear from LE anytime soon.

Re. the red bolded : Exactly.
Smh.
Not just the media attention for which they need to thank Dr. Phil and others -- but the magnanimous treatment by LE.
Not necessarily suspicious, but very curious.
Imo.

Last edited:

I'm only up to where you turned the show/video off. I don't feel either Don or Candus were treated badly at all.
When asked what should happen to the person who 'took' Summer or caused her demise? Don said in a previous interview that he wouldn't wish prison on anyone. Candus hesitated and didn't know what to say at first and eventually said that they should suffer for the rest of their lives, or something to that effect. Watch the whole video. You seem like an intelligent person. Her stare in that exact moment told me that she was supposed to know what to say.
There's much more and will be there tomorrow.

The child killed in your scenario? Awful, but no one could dispute what happened and there were witnesses. I don't see how that's relevant. Accidents do happen.
If something accidentally happened to Summer, which I believe may have happened, you do NOT cover it up by disposing of her body unless an autopsy would show it was caused by abuse and possibly continued abuse. Any innocent parent would call an ambulance/police. They were already under directives from CPS for which they hadn't adhered.

I'm not a huge fan of DP but he can and does occasionally bring things to light. Now, if the Wells had brought legal counsel with them, things might've gone differently, like it did in another case that still burns my arse.
I'll take any info I can get on this case, whether it be Dr Phil or YTers with him live on his phone, especially recently.
I do think Candus is on the brink of a breakdown, but don't think it's DPs fault.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
bbm
Ita with this entire post.

Some good points you mention :

Re. the lavender bolded :Yes, I agree that Dr. Phil and the other interviewers are treating this with utmost seriousness and respect for the 'interviewees'.

Re. the green bolded : No, they certainly did not . That would be unprofessional. What is important to note is that a reaction was noted when the subject of Summer was raised as in when DW was asked if he had anything to do with her disappearance and he refused to answer.
And again when the topic of the "cornbread mafia" and possible criminal element came up, CW reacted negatively.
Why ?

Re. the brown bolded : When LE say the Wells have taken -- and passed/not passed -- a poly, that will be believable.
Until then, it's speculation.
My .02 is that we're not going to hear from LE anytime soon.

Re. the red bolded : Exactly.
Smh.
Not just the media attention for which they need to thank Dr. Phil and others -- but the magnanimous treatment by LE.
Not necessarily suspicious, but very curious.
Imo.
Thank you. Glad I'm not being completely 'unbalanced'. I do try to have an open mind. This can be a rough audience.:p

Don was also quizzed by the pair as to whether he has any "doubts" about Candus' recollection of events leading up to Summer's disappearance.
…………………………………………………………………………………………
"No not the way it played out," Don Wells responded. "Everything like that I mean, yeah, you always have questions, and I'd ask myself and but the way this happened and her emotions and state of mind..."

Don was then asked what questions he had, to which he responded: "I mean I questions ... no I don't really have questions."

Dr. Phil said he observed Don contradict himself several times, saying "no and yes" in the same sentence while "stammering and stuttering all over the place."

Hartley added: "For me, you'll notice his eyes are dropping down to his left he's having kind of an internal conversation about how do I answer this very complicated question.

"And I think he edits he speaks and never finishes a sentence."

Jumping in, Dr. Phil said it's "very clear to me" that Don was "holding something back ... something he has knowledge of" regarding Summer's disappearance.
……………………………………………………………………………………
They began by focusing on Candus' reaction when they asked her what she thinks should happen to the person that "took" Summer.

Before answering, Candus closed her eyes and paused.

The experts said this was a classic example of "blocking or escaping"

She then stammered, after taking a deep breath, "they should be put away for the rest of their lives. I mean, they should be tormented I think."

Characterizing Candus' behavior, Rouse said: "There's a lot going on here. She's not sure what she should say. Everything she's going says 'I'm unsure and shouldn't be saying this.'"
Dad of Summer Wells, 5, uses 'guilty language' about missing girl, expert says

OMGosh!
I was trying to anticipate the reactions to the Dr Phil show but had not prepared for this, especially when previews showed the sheer, absolute and unadulterated pain of a mother whose beloved daughter is missing. I guess that I was hoping that some minds would be changed when witnessing CBW's escalating torment and distress. My heart breaks for her. I love to see others express their sincere and commiserate feelings towards these parents/this family and have always hoped that the many attacks that follow any time they go "public" would lessen/subside. We are not saying that everything was/is hunky-dorey with this family but I believe they were doing the best they could with their little life on the top of their TN hill until this happened. Who could ever anticipate the extent of vitriol heaped upon them during the most catastrophic event that could ever happen? Expressions of detestation has been very overwhelming for me. I try to look away when I see it but I just can't as my ultimate thoughts and feelings are for Summer. Despite her parent's flaws, she seemed to have loved her family and life and that needs to be treated with respect. All that is gone now and I mourn for all that is lost.

Like @Oriah expressed: ".....how does compassion ever hurt in the search for a missing child?" And, just as important IMO, how does not showing compassion help anything/anyone? Loathing towards her parents certainly does not help Summer or her brothers.

All MOO

Last edited:
Do you really think some could've taken this child and is taking care of her needs and giving her a good life?
Better question, do you think it's even a possibility that Candus entertains that possibility?
I do not. She's afraid to answer. Why is the question. Is she being controlled by Don and is afraid of him? He's faced DA abuse before at least once, where she refused to press charges but he still faced DUI with a loaded gun among others.
Is she afraid to answer that particular question because there's some truth to it or is it because Don has brought up the mafia before in interviews? Has he convinced her that they could've taken Summer and she might be next, which would explain why he said that 'they' know they're married?
Other obvious explanations are that she just can't take it all either because she knows what happened and just cracked under pressure or she can't take the guilt. She too is a person of interest as no one has been ruled out by LE's own words. They all are. Is Candus Sr. still helping some distant relative in another state?
So many questions... Tomorrow's show should be interesting.

another possibility? The stress of having lost her daughter and her other children, along with being crucified by people online is kind of getting to her.

They probably have been interrogated by LE. Maybe that is why CB fears it again. I mean, idk, but i wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

I'm going to watch the episode soon. As for Dr. Phil, he does have the education and, i think, he used to practice. But, after becoming a media personality, is no longer licensed to practice. I have only watched a few episodes of his over the years and I think they really vary depending on the subject. I don't have TV service either, so this is mostly from years ago.

Idk if anyone can be called a "human lie detector". That seems like an oversell even if the person is very, very good at detecting lies.

ETA: the last one i watched was when he had the Schofields on, they're the divorced parent of the so-called "childhood schizophrenic" Janie Schoefield (who does not have schizophrenia, also it is impossible to have schizophrenia as a young child because it requires a certain level of brain development). He had her on when she was a child as the "child schizophrenic". That is a terribly sad case.

Reactions: nao
I watched the episode.

What stood out to me was Greg doing that weird thing with his hands both standing and sitting. So, on purpose and a conscious decision. What's up with that?

The term "cornbread mafia" was introduced by Scott. CB seemed to know what it was. DW used a different term. Dr. Phil said it was some Tennessee term. Idk about that because I never heard it before this show. Obviously, it has been around, but it was used by Feds for some guys in Kentucky which is a different state.

So, except for CB's reaction, i would say this was some load of horse droppings. However, she did react to that pretty strongly. But, as has been pointed out, the interview has been cut into pieces, so possibly she got started on that trajectory by something else. But, well, idk. I do think that particularly upset her.

I don't like the "what do you think should happen to the person who did this" question. Well, did what? I know SW's parents say they believe she was abducted. But, the case is unsolved. So, they don't know for sure the who or what, or even just the what. Also, they're not dealing with a hypothetical situation, SW really is missing. So, not being able to answer that question kind of makes sense to me. They're not at that point yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288