Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #87

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

————————————-
MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*
Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Arrest Affidavit
—————————————
Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)
—————————————
Hearing Notes (Compliments of @NoSI)
Preliminary:
Day 1

————————————-
Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82
Thread #83
Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

Barry Morphew has been charged with Suzanne's murder and he and his businesses are open to sleuthing.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

Mod Reminder - Plunder Court Transcript Episodes

The Transcripts from the Preliminary Hearing being shared by Plunder have been approved. This approval only applies to the Plunder episodes specific to the court transcripts. The transcripts shared across the episodes may not be copied and posted in entirety to WS as a single document or post replicating the documents that the content creator purchased.

ADMIN REMINDER:

By Websleuths standards the Morphew daughters are victims. Posts trashing them or demeaning them will be removed and members who post in that regard are subject to a loss of posting privileges.

Read The Rules (TOS) and post accordingly.

Thanks.

<modsnip: This post has been removed. It is a violation of the law to broadcast this recording.>

ADMIN NOTE:

Thanks to Seattle1, a reminder that Colorado Court has strict policy that court proceedings including WEBEX cannot be filmed/recorded/rebroadcast or face contempt charges.

When I had Verizon back in 2017 I broke my phone on New Years eve called them thinking I wouldn’t be able to get a new phone and they told me if I had a Verizon phone I could take the SIM card out and put it into a new verizion phone without having to come in, I was shocked but I have also stated in this thread I think BM switched out the SIM cards. I also think the dynamics of their relationship might be her saying I’m done and actually not going through with it it wasn’t until my speculation only that she wanted to look at different places that night so he realized she was serious. The defense hasn’t had a bad day in court as much as we despise it he’s got a great defense, although I don’t care how stellar they can’t counter how she didn’t use her phone that Saturday. I never thought I’d be saying be this because I said all along he did it alone but I’m starting to think he had help. Okay. All my opinion only

When I had Verizon back in 2017 I broke my phone on New Years eve called them thinking I wouldn’t be able to get a new phone and they told me if I had a Verizon phone I could take the SIM card out and put it into a new verizion phone without having to come in, I was shocked but I have also stated in this thread I think BM switched out the SIM cards. I also think the dynamics of their relationship might be her saying I’m done and actually not going through with it it wasn’t until my speculation only that she wanted to look at different places that night so he realized she was serious. The defense hasn’t had a bad day in court as much as we despise it he’s got a great defense, although I don’t care how stellar they can’t counter how she didn’t use her phone that Saturday. I never thought I’d be saying be this because I said all along he did it alone but I’m starting to think he had help. Okay. All my opinion only

I don't know how stellar they are, their entire plan is based on BS that will not hold up in front of a jury with expert witnesses that are allowed to testify. Barry's lawyers have a serious problem, Barry.

(Sorry for dumb questions - still trying to get up to speed)

Is there any transcript or resource for the Agent Grusing's testimony at the prelim?

Copied from last thread

@MassGuy

That was my theory, but I think that was before the prelim, when we learned of this 5-6 hour window in which Grusing believes Barry did the disposal.

So I now believe the disposal to have occurred later, and most likely involved a mine. There very well may have been no digging involved.

Picking up on something you all noted.

Suzanne's phone pinged on the network around 4.23 am on the 10th and that is the last time it is ever seen.

As posters have noted, this is obviously bad for BM's version given his original claim to have set an alarm for 4.30 but other data shows he was up about before then.

But what seems especially bad, is we'd need to believe SM had her phone off all afternoon and evening, turned it on at 4.23am, yet was asleep when Barry last saw her, yet never turned it back on again, despite waking up and going cycling.

IMO this is likely pretty conclusive proof that Barry did take the phone with him, and turned it on away from the house (though we can't be sure where). My guess is he took the phone with him and trashed it. Maybe he'd thought he could use it for further staging, then thought better of it. There is a reason it isn't with the helmet IMO

I'm fascinated with crime scene staging, and think he made the classic mistake of blacking out the digital comms, thus revealing the "crime time" when he needed her phone to stay on and active to obscure her time of death

Last edited:
@sk716

I see you have been considering this as well (quoted from an old thread)

So, I'm working on updating @oviedo and @OldCop 's timeline and I came across something weird. What was he doing for 45 minutes? Where was he?

3:58 am - Barry's cell moves from home to near CR 225 / HWY 50 where Suzanne's bike was found

So this seems to pin down when he stages the bike. Given he admits to driving on that road, and the cell data corroborates, this proves the time for trial purposes IMO.

It also means for Barry's own version, he needs to have left home before 3:58 am which is an issue for his 4.30 alarm version.

4:10 am & 4:15 am - Activity from Suzanne’s phone (AA page 72 of 129)

I'd love to know where this activity is? Reading between the lines in the AA ...

@AA Page 72 said:
Barry was shown a picture of the locations around the Morphew house of Suzanne’s phone activity at 4:10 AM and 4:15 AM on May 10, 2020. He said, “Well, if she did that, I have no idea that it went anywhere but the house, but if you was to ask me, I’d say, ‘It was at the house the whole time.”‘

So this would seem to indicate the state have evidence he took the phone away from the house and it was tracked via cell tower data at least? I think it can't be GPS location data, because the phone was never recovered, unless that location synced to the cloud and FBI recovered it?

This would seem to mean he stupidly had it with him, and it wasn't off.

OR

Ws he already home by 4.10 - and was moving the phone outside the house? But timing seems tight.

Barry's phone goes left towards Garfield (where Suzanne's helmet was found) instead of right toward Poncha Springs and Denver. Barry turned around at Garfield to resume his drive to Broomfield.

Around the 4:00 am hour, Morgan Gentile was confident she heard Barry’s Ford F-350 drive eastbound past her house on HWY 50. Gentile stated she did not see the truck but that his truck has a very distinctive exhaust.

Sceptical on this MG point ... but it sure helps the prosecution

4:23 am - Suzanne's phone makes its last ping off of the Poncha Springs tower as located near Puma Path.
4:31 am - Barry phone goes into airplane mode.

So it seems like he went home again?

So either took the Suzanne's phone back home or now accessed it, moved around with it outside the home and turned it off / destroyed it?

This seems like a reasonably huge mistake. I wonder if he took it out there in airplane mode, intending to stage it with the helmet, took it back to PP, took it out of airplane as if to stage some signs of life, when he was leaving, then turned it off - but in that time, it synced location data that had been passively tracked via GPS signal?

We'll only get the detail at trial I guess.

The other possibility, is he just moved it around, not realising location would change according to tower / location data

5:14 am - Barry's truck was seen passing video surveillance on Highway 50 right near the junction with Highway 285.
5:16 am - Barry's truck was seen passing video surveillance just north on Highway 285

I agree - this drive is only 11 mins from his house, so based on both the phones it seems he must have gone and staged the bike, then gone home?

I'd love to know what the rest of the telematics says

Please let me know if I misunderstood something

But I agree with you.

How will be explain heading east from 3:58 but only making the 50/285 junction at 5.14am?

Last edited:

Suzanne's phone pinged on the network around 4.23 am on the 10th and that is the last time it is ever seen.

As posters have noted, this is obviously bad for BM's version given his original claim to have set an alarm for 4.30 but other data shows he was up about before then.

But what seems especially bad, is we'd need to believe SM had her phone off all afternoon and evening, turned it on at 4.23am, yet was asleep when Barry last saw her, yet never turned it back on again, despite waking up and going cycling.

IMO this is likely pretty conclusive proof that Barry did take the phone with him, and turned it on away from the house (though we can't be sure where). My guess is he took the phone with him and trashed it. Maybe he'd thought he could use it for further staging, then thought better of it. There is a reason it isn't with the helmet IMO

I'm fascinated with crime scene staging, and think he made the classic mistake of blacking out the digital comms, thus revealing the "crime time" when he needed her phone to stay on and active to obscure her time of death

I think I have a mistake in this thread. Her phone wasn't off. She just wasn't active on it.

@sk716

I can't go through all your posts (though i read a lot of them) - so just taking this as representative.

Personally, I'm sure he used the Bobcat to get rid of the body, but I don't think anyone will ever be able to prove it.

I agree it may be likely, especially given the dog indications.

My only issue with it, having used a similar vehicle myself at times - these vehicles tend to leave a lot of marking on the ground - wouldn't that be discoverable?

Of equal importance to when SM's phone last pinged...4:23am...was where it pinged. It was not in the house where she supposedly was, according to Barry. It pinged a few miles away....correct? How did her phone end up miles from her if she was with Barry since about 2:30pm on Saturday? No record of visitors who could have swiped it.

Of equal importance to when SM's phone last pinged...4:23am...was where it pinged. It was not in the house where she supposedly was, according to Barry. It pinged a few miles away....correct? How did her phone end up miles from her if she was with Barry since about 2:30pm on Saturday? No record of visitors who could have swiped it.

Yeah we don't have this info

Reading between the lines it was outside the house at 4:10 AM and 4:15 AM - but we don't know where.

We also don't know where it was at 4.23AM

As it's only a prelim hearing, this info wasn't gone into in more detail.

@AA Page 72 said said:
Barry was shown a picture of the locations around the Morphew house of Suzanne’s phone activity at 4:10 AM and 4:15 AM on May 10, 2020. He said, “Well, if she did that, I have no idea that it went anywhere but the house, but if you was to ask me, I’d say, ‘It was at the house the whole time.”‘

I think I have a mistake in this thread. Her phone wasn't off. She just wasn't active on it.

Just covering Suzanne's phone here. According to the GPS recovered from Verizon, her phone probably never left the Puma Path property. The Puma Path property is seven acres. Pings can have weird skips and jumps (I did a long explanation using PokemonGo awhile back) that are usually no more than a couple of yards. The 11.5 (? not looking at the actual #) miles from the Poncha Springs tower is the location of the Morphew home.

Just covering Suzanne's phone here. According to the GPS recovered from Verizon, her phone probably never left the Puma Path property. The Puma Path property is seven acres. Pings can have weird skips and jumps (I did a long explanation using PokemonGo awhile back) that are usually no more than a couple of yards. The 11.5 (? not looking at the actual #) miles from the Poncha Springs tower is the location of the Morphew home.

But potentially was outside the house? it is really hard to know what Barry was shown here

@AA Page 72 said said:

Something I am wondering about is whether her location data (from GPS) synced - so they have this? Not merely tower location?

As we can't see the exhibit, we don't know what was shown, but we know Barry's location is GPS location data - so there is a decent chance they have this for Suzanne?

@sk716

I see you have been considering this as well (quoted from an old thread)

So this seems to pin down when he stages the bike. Given he admits to driving on that road, and the cell data corroborates, this proves the time for trial purposes IMO.

It also means for Barry's own version, he needs to have left home before 3:58 am which is an issue for his 4.30 alarm version.

I'd love to know where this activity is? Reading between the lines in the AA ...

So this would seem to indicate the state have evidence he took the phone away from the house and it was tracked via cell tower data at least? I think it can't be GPS location data, because the phone was never recovered, unless that location synced to the cloud and FBI recovered it?

This would seem to mean he stupidly had it with him, and it wasn't off.

OR

Ws he already home by 4.10 - and was moving the phone outside the house? But timing seems tight.

Sceptical on this MG point ... but it sure helps the prosecution

So it seems like he went home again?

So either took the Suzanne's phone back home or now accessed it, moved around with it outside the home and turned it off / destroyed it?

This seems like a reasonably huge mistake. I wonder if he took it out there in airplane mode, intending to stage it with the helmet, took it back to PP, took it out of airplane as if to stage some signs of life, when he was leaving, then turned it off - but in that time, it synced location data that had been passively tracked via GPS signal?

We'll only get the detail at trial I guess.

The other possibility, is he just moved it around, not realising location would change according to tower / location data

I agree - this drive is only 11 mins from his house, so based on both the phones it seems he must have gone and staged the bike, then gone home?

I'd love to know what the rest of the telematics says

Please let me know if I misunderstood something

But I agree with you.

How will be explain heading east from 3:58 but only making the 50/285 junction at 5.14am?

Gonna try to clear up what I can.

I've come to think he staged the bike without moving his truck, then went back to the house. He must have known his truck was going to rat him out or he wouldn't have disconnected the battery. So I don't know if he walked the bike up or used the other RR. He might have used his truck, but I think Grusing would have nailed him with the truck stopping on that little bridge, him getting out disappearing for three minutes and the door opening and closing again.

He also had an ATV on property, but I can't come up with any scenario that works in moving a mountain bike on an ATV.

@sk716

I can't go through all your posts (though i read a lot of them) - so just taking this as representative.

I agree it may be likely, especially given the dog indications.

My only issue with it, having used a similar vehicle myself at times - these vehicles tend to leave a lot of marking on the ground - wouldn't that be discoverable?

The land around there is already rocky with lots of loose rock and gravel. Barry seems to have kept the whole place tore up with that Bobcat.

The raw footage gives you a good look at the terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23