Deceased/Not Found CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than her texting her boyfriend that she was scared, I wonder what their interactions were like in the days leading up to her disappearance. Her ex said that her bf thought the reason he hadn’t heard from her was because she ghosted him. I remember reading an article that said they were together for 3 years. For him to assume his 39 year old girlfriend of 3 years ghosted him makes me think she had been acting strange. OR, they weren’t in a serious relationship and it was more of a casual thing. Whatever the case is, it’d be interesting to know if he, or anyone close to her, picked up on anything that would point to her using drugs or experiencing a mental health crisis.

I am in no way making excuses for her ex. But for people in his situation it really is a no win. If he talks, then people read into each and everything he says and dissects it to try to fit a narrative. If he says nothing, then he is hiding something. Either way he falls under a cloud of suspicion. He may very well be involved to some extent or he may very well not be involved at all. I realize that in many cases like this, the husband, boyfriend, or in this case the ex is automatically a suspect in a lot of peoples eyes. But because we know so little about this case it all becomes speculation. Again not making excuses, but we know so little. MOO

I agree. And while it may be a coincidence, the 2015 break happened in mid-October too. Sometimes people with chronic mental health problems have "cycles" that relate to the time of year. Sometimes the association appears more psychological ("anniversary" type reactions) while at other times day length, temperature, and so on seem to affect one's mental functioning. But maybe it's coincidental too. I'd like to know more about other Octobers.
JMO

Yes to all of this.

MOO.

I can understand if Heidi had a psychotic breakdown or a mental health episode. However, if it was in DTLA, not too far from skid row, then I can imagine a lot of people would be cautious and not offer help, if she were in distress. Sadly, passers-by would presume drink, drugs and homeless and avoid her.

What I still can't wrap my brain around is WHERE IS HER CAR?!

If she was having a mental health episode, then I'm not sure she'd be in a fit state to drive, not without losing control or crashing into something.

Yet no reports of a crash, her car being found, or Heidi herself.

I'm sure Los Angeles has plenty of license plate cameras, so I'm sure if her car did leave Hope & Flower, LE would be able to trace which direction it went.

I can understand if Heidi had a psychotic breakdown or a mental health episode. However, if it was in DTLA, not too far from skid row, then I can imagine a lot of people would be cautious and not offer help, if she were in distress. Sadly, passers-by would presume drink, drugs and homeless and avoid her.

What I still can't wrap my brain around is WHERE IS HER CAR?!

If she was having a mental health episode, then I'm not sure she'd be in a fit state to drive, not without losing control or crashing into something.

Yet no reports of a crash, her car being found, or Heidi herself.

I'm sure Los Angeles has plenty of license plate cameras, so I'm sure if her car did leave Hope & Flower, LE would be able to trace which direction it went.
Stolen and chopped?

The ex husband really rubs me the wrong way, but I don’t think he released those documents. Daily mail probably purchased them from the CA courts website. I’m really surprised family court records are able to be purchased by the public in CA.
It is a convoluted process to seal them in CA but not impossible and given how sensitive the info is it’s beyond me how they would be left open to the public.
I am shocked they weren’t sealed.
Maybe they were unsealed accidentally. Or in error.

I remember the case of Elisa Lam. This case reminds me a little bit of her case. Has the hotel been checked thoroughly? I mean the unexplained places?!

I was reading all the posts to see if anyone would mention Elisa Lam too, because that's what I thought of as well. If nothing else, there were cameras in the elevator of the Cecil Hotel, which was not NEARLY as swanky/well monitored/kempt/scrutinized/protected as the H + F building seemed to be. So is there mention anywhere of cameras in the elevators at H + F? Wouldn't that clear up almost all the questions as to who buzzed her in/met her in the lobby, if she rode an elevator up with her pup, if they were separated at any time, if she left in an elevator alone..I'm so confused!

I was reading all the posts to see if anyone would mention Elisa Lam too, because that's what I thought of as well. If nothing else, there were cameras in the elevator of the Cecil Hotel, which was not NEARLY as swanky/well monitored/kempt/scrutinized/protected as the H + F building seemed to be. So is there mention anywhere of cameras in the elevators at H + F? Wouldn't that clear up almost all the questions as to who buzzed her in/met her in the lobby, if she rode an elevator up with her pup, if they were separated at any time, if she left in an elevator alone..I'm so confused!
I’m almost certain LE knows the answers to all of these things already.

I wouldn’t assume that JW released the sealed records. At a minimum, there are three entities with access: court and the attorneys’ offices for both JW and HP. All it takes is one clerk or secretary or even law office intern to get tempted. The names of the law offices are public. A quick Facebook/LinkedIn search will turn up employee names. It’s easy to sneak a copy out, especially if the office used paper. JMO.

(Paralegal released the affidavit in Leticia Stauch’s case: Person charged for leaking Letecia Stauch affidavit in high-profile murder case of Gannon Stauch).

I agree. And while it may be a coincidence, the 2015 break happened in mid-October too. Sometimes people with chronic mental health problems have "cycles" that relate to the time of year. Sometimes the association appears more psychological ("anniversary" type reactions) while at other times day length, temperature, and so on seem to affect one's mental functioning. But maybe it's coincidental too. I'd like to know more about other Octobers.
JMO
There is actually a DSM diagnosis for something called seasonal affective disorder, SAD. It is more common in people with major depressive disorder or bipolar disorder. While I’m not sure that this is the case, your post just reminded me of it.

Seasonal Affective Disorder

I wouldn’t assume that JW released the sealed records. At a minimum, there are three entities with access: court and the attorneys’ offices for both JW and HP. All it takes is one clerk or secretary or even law office intern to get tempted. The names of the law offices are public. A quick Facebook/LinkedIn search will turn up employee names. It’s easy to sneak a copy out, especially if the office used paper. JMO.

(Paralegal released the affidavit in Leticia Stauch’s case: Person charged for leaking Letecia Stauch affidavit in high-profile murder case of Gannon Stauch).
Yes and in this case, the documents can be purchased directly from the court website if they’re not sealed. I don’t believe the daily mail has any motive here beyond clicks, and JW’s filings would obviously be more interesting to them and any responsive documents HP might have filed. And they don’t release the whole thing because why would you do that if you can publish 6 “explosive new information” type stories? It is very very sad to me that a young boy is involved in this whole story, one who has probably not had the easiest life. I can’t imagine being old enough to one day go back and read all of this (and even these threads).

It is a convoluted process to seal them in CA but not impossible and given how sensitive the info is it’s beyond me how they would be left open to the public.
I am shocked they weren’t sealed.
Maybe they were unsealed accidentally. Or in error.
To file a document under seal, an attorney has to request the court place the documents under seal and the court has to grant that. In looking at the summary of the case file, it doesn’t appear anyone has ever requested the records be placed under seal.

The state courts where I am located will place documents under seal when they involve a minor and are filed in the juvenile court, but documents filed in state court under the family category, which these would fall under, are public record. Basically the divorce filings receive a case number and any subsequent filings are given an extension of that case number. Unless the court specifically places any documents filed in that specific case number under seal, they are still considered public record.

Yes and in this case, the documents can be purchased directly from the court website if they’re not sealed. I don’t believe the daily mail has any motive here beyond clicks, and JW’s filings would obviously be more interesting to them and any responsive documents HP might have filed. And they don’t release the whole thing because why would you do that if you can publish 6 “explosive new information” type stories? It is very very sad to me that a young boy is involved in this whole story, one who has probably not had the easiest life. I can’t imagine being old enough to one day go back and read all of this (and even these threads).

My mistake - I assumed they were sealed. Kids the son’s age can be quite Internet-savvy…and cruel.

But you would assume that HP disputes all of the allegations in any responses filed, and that is relevant. People should be interested in hearing HER side since she is not currently available to give it. DM is definitely willing to share the documents highlighting what she was going through, but I guess publishing documents that highlight the fact that she obviously overcame whatever she was going through and was able to regain the 50/50 custody split just isn’t as attractive.

It makes me sad for her and for BW that all the nitty-gritty has been shared but not the positives.

My mistake - I assumed they were sealed. Kids the son’s age can be quite Internet-savvy…and cruel.
Well, you do have to actually purchase the records before you can view them. You can view a summary of the case filings, hearings, etc. for free, but you can’t actually view the content of the documents without paying a fee. So that does help at least a little.

According to JW in the court filings, Heidi had, at least for a while, an addiction to Adderall.

Wayne said his ex-wife was addicted to the amphetamine, Adderall. He claimed she would go to three different doctors so she could get three separate prescriptions, making sure she always paid for two of them in cash so her abuse wouldn't be discovered.'

In the Missing Person report he filed, JW stated that Heidi was currently taking Adderall for ADD. If she really had been abusing Adderall, maybe she was beginning to again? Might that explain her presence at H+F? Perhaps she was no longer able to get them as she had been. I know that college kids around here seem to have easy access to them, especially at exam time, so I assume they could be easily gotten on the street in LA as well, and we have read or heard from Yelp reviews that drugs were not at all uncommon in the high rise. Btw, Adderall may cause or worsen psychosis in users with mental illness or Bipolar Disorder, and many in here have opined that Heidi may suffer from BD, though we have never been told that. JMO

Missing mom Heidi Planck had history of psychotic breakdown | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
To file a document under seal, an attorney has to request the court place the documents under seal and the court has to grant that. In looking at the summary of the case file, it doesn’t appear anyone has ever requested the records be placed under seal.
e documents under seal when they involve a minor and are filed in the juvenile court, but documents filed in state court under the family category, which these would fall under, are public record. Basically the divorce filings receive a case number and any subsequent filings are given an extension of that case number. Unless the court specifically places any documents filed in that specific case number under seal, they are still considered public record.

Thank you. I hoped you would share your knowledge.
In California the Family Court records can be sealed which is why we don’t hear all the gruesome details of the battles of the rich and famous
I’ll pull and post a link to the prerequisites.

Here’s a detailed list of requirements and steps.
I will post a concise summary later if someone doesn't beat me to it.
I do suspect something unethical happened to have so much open. Would Wendy’s lawyer have sealed her side? Is that why we don’t see the while story?
California Rules of Court: Title Five Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member