GUILTY Ireland - Anastasia Kriegel, 14, Found deceased, Lucan, Co Dublin, 14 May 2018 *minors arrested*

My post above made no sense!

It was meant to say - I agree ... it's not like it was likely to be a revenge attack for what he did either.

Not sure those 2 things marry well in my mind - loner and throwing his weight around* those 2 things seem opposite to me, the liners usually keep themselves to themselves.

The loners that keep to themselves are one group. Another one are “social loners”, “ambiverts”, that suffer from being different. They are often “in one’s face”, and maybe, ironic as it sounds, “throwing his weight around” was an attempts to gain attention, as he does not understand how to get friends. It is my interpretation of what they said. Perhaps the other kids got sick and tired of his attention-seeking behavior.

Not that I feel sorry for him, he did a horrible thing, and is very dangerous, but still, the guardai did not supervise kids well, and “a few slaps, nothing special” rubs me the wrong way.

The loners that keep to themselves are one group. Another one are “social loners”, “ambiverts”, that suffer from being different. They are often “in one’s face”, and maybe, ironic as it sounds, “throwing his weight around” was an attempts to gain attention, as he does not understand how to get friends. It is my interpretation of what they said. Perhaps the other kids got sick and tired of his attention-seeking behavior.

Not that I feel sorry for him, he did a horrible thing, and is very dangerous, but still, the guardai did not supervise kids well, and “a few slaps, nothing special” rubs me the wrong way.

Ambiverts aren't necessarily 'social loners' ... making some big judgements there based on very little information!

I'm not a fan of these stories that crop up about convicts getting a beating off a fellow con or two ... they're purely for the pitchfork carriers to bay at.

yeah maybe, there was definitely names on twitter/facebook that i don't think were correct

I think boy A's name is quite widely known but it is a common name and many boys could be wrongly identified Boy B's name is not so widely known but definitely much harder to confuse him with another innocent boy as the name is quite unique,at least in Ireland so I would think the names and photos that were doing the rounds on twitter etc would relate to boy A.
There should be laws that mean if you identify the wrong person publicly then you are prosecuted,especially if any harm comes to the innocent party but I fear that the law only protects the privacy of the guilty in these instances,hopefully I am wrong.

But what if she was given the wrong name and identified a completely innocent child and their family was then targeted?

If she doesn’t like the law on not naming minors she can campaign for a change. Her behaviour was very irresponsible imo.

By the way, I understand, the law. But didn’t boy A say to his friend that he wanted to kill Ana? If he were killing animals, he’d be on everyone’s pages. He killed a human. He is at a risk of becoming a predator.
What the woman did might have been impulsive, but in my heart of hearts I can’t blame her for “utter contempt of the law”.

I can blame her ... It was a stupid, irresponsible thing to do and it serves no purpose other than to whip up the people with the pitchforks.

'Naming and shaming' Venables and Thompson did far more harm than good.

But what if she was given the wrong name and identified a completely innocent child and their family was then targeted?

If she doesn’t like the law on not naming minors she can campaign for a change. Her behaviour was very irresponsible imo.

True. However, In this situation, the boys were a couple of friends and not too close to other kids; harder to make a mistake, I presume. Logically, you are right. But emotionally, it is hard to acknowledge that the boys are given the chance to have a normal life, and Ana has none.

True. However, In this situation, the boys were a couple of friends and not too close to other kids; harder to make a mistake, I presume. Logically, you are right. But emotionally, it is hard to acknowledge that the boys are given the chance to have a normal life, and Ana has none.
She needs to grow up and not be ruled by her emotions. Her actions could have led to serious injury or death for completely innocent parties. She knew what she was doing.

In some the pictures of her coming out of court she is trying to hide her face from the photographers - clearly she didn’t want to be identified herself.

They were but in Boy A's case he has a very common name and there is at least one other boy of the same age with the same name from the same place and it was completely irresponsible of her to post the name publicly. Boy B's name is much more unique so he wouldn't likely be confused for another but it's still not OK to publish their names. Wether we like it or not the were children and whilst I believe they knew exactly what they were doing and should be locked away for a very long time, I can't condone the possible vigilante "justice" mindset for children.
These boys also have families,should they also have to suffer? Have their lives not been shattered and irreparably changed enough even though they didn't hurt Ana?.

We might not always like them bit the rules are there for a reason.

I believe that I have read most of this entire thread...

Has there been a hearing for Boy B's appeal?

Shouldn't it have been in October of a year prior to 2021?

Or... have I missed it?

TIA!

I'm glad to hear that she received a suspended sentence.

Just reflecting...I'm old enough to remember the days when the local newspapers in Ireland were the source for almost all your news. In those days, if someone's child got into trouble, the parent's names were included in the articles. The child's age and sex was identified, but not their name.

Call it public shaming of the parents... But, it was to bring awareness of these parents, who were not responsible or diligent enough to manage their children's behaviour. And it sought to reflect the values of Irish society and the enormous responsibility of raising children.

Maybe Ireland should re-evaluate their privacy laws when it comes to children who are convicted of such a brutal murder. When they are released from prison, there is still a chance that they will remain a danger to society.

Boy B seeks to introduce fresh evidence at appeal

One of the boys convicted of murdering schoolgirl Ana Kriégel is seeking to introduce fresh evidence at his upcoming appeal and wants to challenge the admissibility of matters that were not challenged at trial, the Court of Appeal heard this morning.

(...)

The now 17-year-old, referred to in court as Boy B, was unanimously found guilty of murdering the "lonely and vulnerable" schoolgirl in June 2019 and was sentenced to 15 years detention, to be reviewed after eight years.

(...)

Defence counsel Seoirse Ó Dunlaing BL, for Boy B, told the judge that three further grounds were sought.

Mr (Brendan) Grehan, for the State, said they had received "papers as of last week" and whilst he did not have the formal instructions of the DPP, he anticipated that the application "to enlarge the grounds" and to introduce "fresh evidence" would be opposed.

Mr Grehan said that Boy A had not lodged an appeal against either his conviction or sentence.

The case was listed for hearing on June 17.

Boy B was not present in court for the brief hearing.

(...)

Unfortunate timing for Boy B to be attempting to gain sympathy for senseless murder JMO

Boy B's family really believe he is innocent and shouldn't be in jail, I remember outbursts in court and now an appeal which I'm sure is costing money. Boy A's family hopefully recognise how much of a monster he is

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back