GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Britney Spears would take a little time & promote their cause? Her plight brought a great deal of attention to conservancy abuse which these siblings seem to be experiencing right now!

Might be a good charity for her to start, since she doesn't have to support her Dad & his entourage any more....IMHO.

I agree that calling Gitana is a great idea.

What county is this? The prosecutor/district attorney should have a Victim Advocate on staff. That person should be very busy next week, trying to advocate for these victims! (Unless that person dropped the ball, then that person should be replaced!)

jmho ymmv lrr

I was heartened to hear that Jaycee Duggard has set up a fund for them through her foundation. Maybe since CA clearly can’t handle the funds already raised, whatever remains of the original amount could be transferred to the foundation.

I also found the interview heartbreaking but also inspiring and then, at the end when they talked about how the system failed these kids, infuriating!

I am also so happy that Jaycee is stepping into to raise money for them through her foundation! Understandably, people are going to be far more trusting of Jaycee than the state of California! I wish there was a way all the kids could live with Jaycee and her mom for a while so they can get good therapy and maybe get to experience what a loving family is supposed to be!

I will say though that I was a bit annoyed at how the 20/20 special, in my opinion, kind of tried to smear conservative Christians by making sure they mentioned how the Turpin parents were strict Pentecostals who believed “no sex before marriage” etc. While that may have been their beliefs and they used the Bible to justify the abuse of their children, such horrific abuse such as that visited on these poor kids have NO place in a Christian home and are not part of any legitimate Christian denomination’s teachings including the Catholic Church!

I will say I was amazed that one of the girls (Jennifer, I think) still wants to be a Christian music artist! I would have understood if these girls didn’t want anything to do with Christianity after their parents used it to abuse their children but the fact that Jennifer still wants to use it in her music is awe-inspiring!

These young women and their siblings are incredibly strong and courageous and I admit I cried during the interview and I’m a 30 year-old man!

I do hope these kids get the help and resources they need! Hopefully, with this expose of how they were failed by the system people will rally around these kids and do everything possible to help them!

The only thing I can think of is that donors specified that their donations be used for college or some other specific purpose. But that wouldn’t explain why they don’t even know the name of the person overseeing the funds.

(NPR does a segment every few years explaining why charities prefer unrestricted gifts).

JMO.

Jennifer and Jordan Turpin said their mother would buy children’s clothes, games and toys, but hoard them. Jennifer said she would never let the children touch them.

Turpin sisters describe living in 'house of horrors': 'I thought I was going to die'
This is so bizarre, at first I thought the parents were just too cheap to properly feed their kids (which would obviously be terrible in itself) but it looks like they actually did buy lots of stuff but just hoarded it instead of letting the kids have any. I really wonder what was going through this mother's mind when she bought toys and kids clothes and hoarded it instead of let the kids have it.

What worries me is that these kids, due to their lack of world experience compared to other young adults, are now very easy targets for all kinds of scammers, pimps/sex traffickers, etc.

This is so bizarre, at first I thought the parents were just too cheap to properly feed their kids (which would obviously be terrible in itself) but it looks like they actually did buy lots of stuff but just hoarded it instead of letting the kids have any. I really wonder what was going through this mother's mind when she bought toys and kids clothes and hoarded it instead of let the kids have it.

What worries me is that these kids, due to their lack of world experience compared to other young adults, are now very easy targets for all kinds of scammers, pimps/sex traffickers, etc.

Yup. I was going to post that the survivors should just post a list of wants & needs and have them sent directly to the recipient, but that exposes them to Nigerian princes, entertainers needing “models”, and the like. I’d hate for someone to feel pressured to “repay” a security deposit, by serving as a grateful spokesperson for the conspiracy du jour or something worse. Conservatorships can be very good things, but they can also be useless or damaging.

I do recall reading that the parents would put a pie on the table and forbid them from touching it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was some twisted pseudo-religious “lesson” about temptation.

JMO.

As others have said, the interview was both heartbreaking and inspiring. At 17, Jordan, talking to the dispatcher and deputy, didn't know the words "medication," "pill," "injury," and "bruise." That is so telling as to the lack of cognitive stimulation in that household. Most 5 year olds would know the latter three words.

I am angry at how these young people have been treated since. The young man (Jacob, I think) asking for help with transportation. I was thinking he might be asking for a car, but, no, he was only asking for a bike and didn't get it. Maybe Jacob again asking for help to understand and use the public transportation system and being told to google it. A child in foster care being told, "No wonder your mother chained you up." Jordan, aging out of foster care, and now couch surfing with no home. People are still failing the children in this family.

I also found the interview heartbreaking but also inspiring and then, at the end when they talked about how the system failed these kids, infuriating!

I am also so happy that Jaycee is stepping into to raise money for them through her foundation! Understandably, people are going to be far more trusting of Jaycee than the state of California! I wish there was a way all the kids could live with Jaycee and her mom for a while so they can get good therapy and maybe get to experience what a loving family is supposed to be!

I will say though that I was a bit annoyed at how the 20/20 special, in my opinion, kind of tried to smear conservative Christians by making sure they mentioned how the Turpin parents were strict Pentecostals who believed “no sex before marriage” etc. While that may have been their beliefs and they used the Bible to justify the abuse of their children, such horrific abuse such as that visited on these poor kids have NO place in a Christian home and are not part of any legitimate Christian denomination’s teachings including the Catholic Church!

I will say I was amazed that one of the girls (Jennifer, I think) still wants to be a Christian music artist! I would have understood if these girls didn’t want anything to do with Christianity after their parents used it to abuse their children but the fact that Jennifer still wants to use it in her music is awe-inspiring!

These young women and their siblings are incredibly strong and courageous and I admit I cried during the interview and I’m a 30 year-old man!

I do hope these kids get the help and resources they need! Hopefully, with this expose of how they were failed by the system people will rally around these kids and do everything possible to help them!

i think they mentioned religion because the parents used religion as an excuse for why they treated their kids the way they did. If they were Jewish, Muslim, Mormon catholic, or another religion, I am sure they’d still mention it. I think it’s important to call it out when people hide their bad behavior behind religion. Unfortunately, there are bad people in every religion. Just curious, do you feel the media is smearing Mormonism when they report on the atrocities if Lori and chad daybell? It’s the same thing… the media is reporting on people committing crimes in the name of religion.

Last edited:
I just can't quite understand how someone responsible for such a heavily victimized group of people could just go to bed at night and not worry. The oldest siblings didn't know anything about real life. Grocery shopping, accessing health care, managing a household, and basically every basic thing we need to know how to do to be able to survive out there.

When one of the girls said that they didn't really know about everything each of their siblings went through, it made a lot of sense. It's just amazing how much these guys and girls developed in 4 years, how different they look and sound. Jennifer looks nothing like those pictures, she's doing really good and I never thought she would be able to recover from 29 years of such extreme abuse and neglect.

These girls and guys really do deserve and it's only fair that they receive all the help in the World. They started the race when everyone else was already crossing the finish line and it's not their fault.

i think they mentioned religion because the parents used religion as an excuse for why they treated their kids the way they did. If they were Jewish, Muslim, Mormon catholic, or another religion, I am sure they’d still mention it. I think it’s important to call it out when people hide their bad behavior behind religion. Unfortunately, there are bad people in every religion. Just curious, do you feel the media is smearing Mormonism when they report on the atrocities if Lori and chad daybell? It’s the same thing… the media is reporting on people committing crimes in the name of religion.

I agree. The sisters described their experiences. Period. JMO.

I just can't quite understand how someone responsible for such a heavily victimized group of people could just go to bed at night and not worry. The oldest siblings didn't know anything about real life. Grocery shopping, accessing health care, managing a household, and basically every basic thing we need to know how to do to be able to survive out there.

When one of the girls said that they didn't really know about everything each of their siblings went through, it made a lot of sense. It's just amazing how much these guys and girls developed in 4 years, how different they look and sound. Jennifer looks nothing like those pictures, she's doing really good and I never thought she would be able to recover from 29 years of such extreme abuse and neglect.

These girls and guys really do deserve and it's only fair that they receive all the help in the World. They started the race when everyone else was already crossing the finish line and it's not their fault.

Honestly, I didn’t think all the siblings would be alive by now. Not only did the adults suffer years and years of malnutrition, but re-feeding syndrome can be fatal. Refeeding syndrome - Wikipedia

I recognize what you're saying and it's part of their story. Maybe I'm just not looking forward to the slew of comments that will blame these horrors on religion or conservative Christians. Unfortunately, child abuse can be done by all kinds of people, Christian or Muslim, religious or non-religious. Child abuse happens in all facets in society, in spite of what I believe secular media want us to believe.

Start in on the Director of Victim Services, Melissa Donaldson:

Victim Services

The definition of “justice” is different for each victim. While the District Attorney’s Office seeks justice within the court system, Victim Advocates also seek justice that victims define for themselves so they can move forward and heal long after the case has been resolved. The role of the Division of Victim Services in the District Attorney’s Office is critical to that healing and we are here to ensure “A Victim’s Voice Will Be Heard”.

inquiries@rivcoda.org

think I'm gonna ask "what is being done by Victim Services to right the wrongs described by the Turpin survivors on national television? The wrongs committed by Riverside County, et al, after their parents were convicted, that is. It does not seem that the Turpin survivors have the level of justice defined for themselves and that your office has plenty of work to do to move toward their justice."

jmho ymmv lrr

IMO, each one of the adults should have been assigned an individual mentor to show them the ropes, help them to navigate the world and make sure they were getting the services they are entitled to receive. What has happened to them is criminal.

My sister got caught up in the conservatorship jungle some years ago. Her husband developed a serious mental health issue in late middle age (she now thinks it may have been early onset dementia). He would disappear for months at a time and then she would get word to come and get him from a rehab center for alcoholics in another state. When the fourth time it happened, she told him that he could not come home and almost immediately the rehab place contacted the Guardianship Board and he was placed under it.
They decided he should divorce my sister and wanted half the family home and half of my sister's superannuation (he had spent his on his wanderings). They (not he) settled for half the house and my sister at 55 had to take out a mortgage on the house to pay him, with two kids still at university and living at home .
He died about a year after this and she got most of the money back because he had not changed his will, but a big slice of it had been spent on lawyers overseeing one man's (not rich) guardianship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kakkilynn