MS MS - Hattiesburg, WhtMale 22-28, UP4746, hit by car, 'Steve Hex (Hicks)', red hair/freckles, Dec'98

That is what the police officer told her. Hattiesburg police lost his dna. Now I know they buried him in a graveyard there somewhere. I wonder how hard it would be to get him exhumed and dna extracted?

Is that true, this UID's DNA has been lost? :(
Wow, how awful. Does that mean all of his remains are lost? How does that happen???

That is what the police officer told her. Hattiesburg police lost his dna. Now I know they buried him in a graveyard there somewhere. I wonder how hard it would be to get him exhumed and dna extracted?
Oh my gosh, how awful. He was alive post-accident for such a long time. There was so much opportunity to get many and large-volume samples. I can't believe that they were so careless with the sample.

Oh my gosh, how awful. He was alive post-accident for such a long time. There was so much opportunity to get many and large-volume samples. I can't believe that they were so careless with the sample.
There is only one scenario I can think of where this would be forgivable...
Hattiesburg was hit by a pretty destructive tornado a few years back. It tore right through the center of town. If the sample was being stored somewhere that was in its path - That would be a freak, unfortunate accident. Any other reason for losing that sample would be shameful IMO.

There is only one scenario I can think of where this would be forgivable...
Hattiesburg was hit by a pretty destructive tornado a few years back. It tore right through the center of town. If the sample was being stored somewhere that was in its path - That would be a freak, unfortunate accident. Any other reason for losing that sample would be shameful IMO.
Good point. Still, if they had sent it to a lab for sequencing, they'd have the sequence stored on computers which can be backed up, etc. I wonder why they didn't send off the samples when they had them. I'm pretty sure that the forensic lab in North Texas had grant money to cover sequencing of UIDs.

I found a couple of yearbook pics of a West Virginia "Steve Heck" on Ancestry that look similar, I don't know the rules about posting from that site here. If you are a member it should be easy enough to find.
what state?

I keep thinking about the ‘Michael Curry’ identification. It’s in the beginning of the thread but nothing ever came of it. An oddly random name to be associated with this case IMO. I wonder why that was brought up to begin with.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 9.56.26 AM.pngOriginal-2.jpeg The name isn't a match, but this is MP4458, Steven Michael Gonzales who went missing from San Dimas, CA in 1996. He had auburn/red hair, though it's not clear in his photo, and his height/weight are spot-on. IMO, he bears a resemblance to the post-accident long-term care photos of Steve Hicks. What's hard to imagine is how he would have ended up in the east and why he would have said he was from West Virginia.

View attachment 366373View attachment 366370 The name isn't a match, but this is MP4458, Steven Michael Gonzales who went missing from San Dimas, CA in 1996. He had auburn/red hair, though it's not clear in his photo, and his height/weight are spot-on. IMO, he bears a resemblance to the post-accident long-term care photos of Steve Hicks. What's hard to imagine is how he would have ended up in the east and why he would have said he was from West Virginia.
I think it’s worth submitting. His name was mentioned very early in the thread but I don’t think anyone took it any further.

View attachment 366373View attachment 366370 The name isn't a match, but this is MP4458, Steven Michael Gonzales who went missing from San Dimas, CA in 1996. He had auburn/red hair, though it's not clear in his photo, and his height/weight are spot-on. IMO, he bears a resemblance to the post-accident long-term care photos of Steve Hicks. What's hard to imagine is how he would have ended up in the east and why he would have said he was from West Virginia.
I can definitely see a resemblance; I would 100% submit this.

As the others said, this man was mentioned early in this thread and he’s the only man who looks anything like the man pictured after his brain injury, imo. This is a really good possibility with looks, height, even first name. If you can submit, please do, thank you.

Here are the pics of "Steve Heck" of West Virginia. Please let me know if this is against the rules or anything. Beyond these yearbook pics I have not been able to find much about this person. These pics are from 76/77.

Attachments

• SH2.jpg
    SH2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 27
  • SH.jpg
    SH.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 27
Why did I think he was identified? Maybe it was another similar case?

Looking at severe amount of oral/maxillofacial trauma he received from the accident and head injury, I am surprised he was able to say his name was Steven Hicks (Hex) from West Virginia. We should brain storm words that could sound similar. As we know, sometimes, we hear what makes sense to us, and the info could be a red herring.

He got hit by a car. Hicks, Hex...Hit...Etc

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam