Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
quick question for those still following this thread. I was here up until the remains were identified as Brian. At that point I resigned myself to the fact there were many answer I won't ever get. What would give you all, my fellow members, closure in this case? Usually we get prosecution, a trial, a verdict, etc. Those things all usually help people move forward/on. But in this case, we have a victim, a suspect, both dead. In a long drawn out apparent murder/suicide situation.

I see some saying where's the gun? I questioned that too. More than likely buried in mud and muck or stuck beneath some debris or storm damage. If the gun were found would that give people closure? Somehow I doubt it. Those who theorize that the L family helped hide him, were in contact with him while missing, etc. will never move from that theory. So what brings closure for those folks? There will be no prosecution of the L family for their lack of cooperation while Gabby was missing. So what else?

I am not being snarky, just genuinely curious about my fellow members and what will offer them closure.
I really wanted a trial. I expect no closure, but clearing the case would be helpful to me. In truth, tho, I want answers to every detail that I will never get, and have no right to. My guess is that I will let go when LE calls it quits and when I exhaust reviewing every past detail that I have at my disposal.

quick question for those still following this thread. I was here up until the remains were identified as Brian. At that point I resigned myself to the fact there were many answer I won't ever get. What would give you all, my fellow members, closure in this case? Usually we get prosecution, a trial, a verdict, etc. Those things all usually help people move forward/on. But in this case, we have a victim, a suspect, both dead. In a long drawn out apparent murder/suicide situation.

I see some saying where's the gun? I questioned that too. More than likely buried in mud and muck or stuck beneath some debris or storm damage. If the gun were found would that give people closure? Somehow I doubt it. Those who theorize that the L family helped hide him, were in contact with him while missing, etc. will never move from that theory. So what brings closure for those folks? There will be no prosecution of the L family for their lack of cooperation while Gabby was missing. So what else?

I am not being snarky, just genuinely curious about my fellow members and what will offer them closure.

You know, this all just hit me rather personally and I’m not even sure in which sense way back in September. I’m not sure what drew me here nor what keeps me here so invested. I was alone, summer was drifting towards a close, I was breathing, I was having a peaceful week and Gabby’s face peered out on someone’s insta on her missing poster and I thought how strange… from that moment I think it’s about the how and why. What happened to such a young couple living life to their fullest, staged or not staged, going on an adventure, visiting beautiful places and for it to end so tragically and then the fact that most of us tuned in the day or two AFTER Brian wandered off into the swamp. I’m still here because I just wonder, I don’t *need* answers because it’s not my daughter or my son so it’s ok if we never get answers, we’re not entitled to that. But what if we do get tidbits of info? Answers to what raised so many questions one calm summer day… I wonder about the Laundrie parents, what happened? Did they know? IMO no they didn’t. As for closure for GP’s family, unfortunately I’m not sure they will ever have closure, if Brian was still alive they would never have closure, without him here closure isn’t an option IMO. As for us I don’t think we’re entitled to closure at all even if this story has us all here looking for answers and has probably consumed many of us more than we imagined.

There surely must be a suicide note from Brian as they couldn't know he shot himself if there are no arms and no crime scene.

Hi, I believe the stats are low on notes being left by those who commit suicide.

I’m curious why you think his arms being recovered are important in the ME ruling this a self inflicted gun shot to the head? IMO

Didn't one of the photos of his old room(?) show a gun hanging on a bookcase or some near the bed? Was red white and blue? Or was that a fake gun?
The Sun has a story out on it. It appears to be crudely painted white and red on the grip and part of the gun. Coincidently(?) the gun found at Ft Desoto park was tied with red and white cord.

I'm glad that the cause of death has been determined. And to those of you who guessed it pages ago, I say 'you were right'. I couldn't imagine it, but this was an odd case. RIP Brian and Gabby, and condolences to the families and friends.

The Sun has a story out on it. It appears to be crudely painted white and red on the grip and part of the gun. Coincidently(?) the gun found at Ft Desoto park was tied with red and white cord.

I think though there are questions about
1. Whether that's even a real gun (certainly not how most gun owners store their guns!)

2. Whether that's really BL's room. The photo comes from when the L's owned the house but it's unclear if BL lived there then or if unrelated tenants did and/or if photos from the previous sale were reused.

JMO

Maybe closure for some would perhaps be the contents of his notebook to know what was going on in his head between the horrible day Gabbie was murdered and his suicide?

So. The question. Why run home to commit suicide?

He kills her on 31st. Then runs home, pretends nothing happened. Then the missing person is filed, then he commits suicide. Meanwhile, pretending to be completely innocent. Why?

I don't get it. If he wanted to go home to live the rest of his life, why not dump her in the 3,000 mile trip home? Why not a random dumpster in x big city. Why not the middle of nowhere? Nope left her 800 feet from their last confirmed camping spot. He saw dozens and dozens of people and they saw him. He knew that they would find her.

Just does not make any sense. If he had regret in killing her, then he would turn himself in or kill self at the original scene.

He acted like he almost did not know she was dead, until after she turned up missing.

Why dont they just come out and say x Caliber gun was missing from family home, x Caliber gun found at scene of skull fragments and leg, and damage to skull is consistent with a single x Caliber round to the head? The vague information seems odd. There are theories that BL was murdered, and while that was deserved, its also a crime. If there is no gun, I don’t see how they could so easily rule out murder. Even if there were a gun, it doesn’t rule out murder, but it decreases the chances if they can prove it was the gun that he owned and killed him.
As long as there are significant gaps, it seems worth exploring. I do not see how they reached the. Conclusion of suicide, other than that being an expected outcome. We also do not know how they reached the conclusion of it being a gunshot.

Not surprised about the manner and cause of death since we all knew BL had taken a gun with him to the forest.

Oh boy, I hate to highlight this, but it does make me wonder about the evidence found with Gabby OR if they are speaking about after the fact:

"“Gabby’s family will not be making a statement at this time due to the request of the United States Attorney’s Office and the Teton County Prosecutor’s Office. The family was asked to not make any comments and let the FBI continue their investigation,” the statement read. “The family was also asked to wait for the United States Attorney’s Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged. When that determination is made, we will have a statement.”"
Brian Laundrie died of self-inflicted gunshot wound, medical examiner confirms | WGN-TV

So it seems until the USAttorney's Office makes a determination on whether to charge additional individuals, the possibilities still remain:
1. BL killed Gabby.
2. Someone attacked BL and Gabby or just Gabby and killed her and BL fled.
3. Someone collaborated with BL in killing Gabby.

Or

4. The authorities are still considering charging BL's parents with something they did in the aftermath of Gabby's death.

Whatever happened, the end result is BL committed suicide.

He kills her on 31st. Then runs home, pretends nothing happened. Then the missing person is filed, then he commits suicide. Meanwhile, pretending to be completely innocent. Why?

I don't get it. If he wanted to go home to live the rest of his life, why not dump her in the 3,000 mile trip home? Why not a random dumpster in x big city. Why not the middle of nowhere? Nope left her 800 feet from their last confirmed camping spot. He saw dozens and dozens of people and they saw him. He knew that they would find her.

Just does not make any sense. If he had regret in killing her, then he would turn himself in or kill self at the original scene.

He acted like he almost did not know she was dead, until after she turned up missing.
ro
He knew she was dead. Why would he take her van, her belongings and bank cards if he didn't know she was dead? He was in panic and denial. MOO

Argh so frustrating- I wish they could charge, try and hopefully convict him of Gabby’s murder!! I’m not surprised that he took his life, I had just hoped he was hiding so maybe someday there would be a trial, a conviction and a punishment - there is no justice for her murder now! He was the ultimate coward. MOO

IMO, he probably was in some sort of state of shock or denial for awhile, but when reality hit, he became suicidal.

EDIT to add: or some other mental state that can't be discussed here.

Last edited:
Argh so frustrating- I wish they could charge, try and hopefully convict him of Gabby’s murder!! I’m not surprised that he took his life, I had just hoped he was hiding so maybe someday there would be a trial, a conviction and a punishment - there is no justice for her murder now! He was the ultimate coward. MOO
Respectfully have to disagree. He's dead. He punished himself. I'd much prefer his taking of his own life than some drawn out case trying to attempt at some level of stupid defense. Would life in prison have brought "more" justice? Perhaps a trial would have brought answers to the "how and why" questions, but none of US honestly have any right to those answers. Truly those are reserved for the families. IMVHO

IMO, BL was terrified and went into "flight" mode. As soon as he realized the implications of what he'd done, he simply freaked out. His body kicked into fight-or-flight mode, and he threw whatever he could into the van and fled for somewhere "safe," not thinking or planning or considering anything beyond getting as far away as possible from the scene of the crime. Days later, he realized that running didn't actually help anything; there was nowhere that was "safe" for him.

Another possibility is that he was actually narcissistic enough to believe that he would get away with it. He packed up calmly and drove home like nothing was wrong, figuring that wild animals would get to her before anyone found her, and even if they did, he'd wiggle his way out of it somehow--spin it so that he was the victim (He maybe even believed that, somehow, he was!). Then suddenly, everyone was looking for GP and the public was taking her side and maybe his parents/lawyer flat-out told him that his usual smooth-talking wasn't going to work here. And he decided he'd rather be dead than face the consequences of his actions.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member