Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were no bullet holes in Gabby's remains as far as we know. There were bullet holes in the area of Gabby's remains. The area Gabby was found in was not a legal camping spot. There are 40 undeveloped camping sites along Spread Creek. There is a sign there that clearly states "Entering Spread Creek Restricted Camping Area. Overnight Camping Allowed Only in Designated Sites, Next 4 miles." Each legal camping site is marked. The crime scene photos showed lots of bullet holes in trees and logs. The Spread Creek area is outside of the National Park. And there is a designated hunting area there (Hunt Area 81 - Spread Creek) which could explain the presence of bullet holes: HuntScore: Elk Hunting in Wyoming's Hunt Area 81 - Spread Creek

Thank you!

I think a previous poster said that there was an option for the Federal (USAO) case to be handed to the state prosecutor. In any case, the Teton Coroner is in control of the autopsy report.

The Federal case was BL using Gabby's credit card across multiple state lines. The murder, however, took place locally in Teton, so that would be under the local DA.

As far as I know it was never resolved about whether they were bullet holes or not. MOO.

It shows a lot of holes in trees and logs, for sure, but I've seen nothing to verify that they are bullet holes. That would take forensic analysis and that info has not been released yet. Although I wish to heaven it would be.

You know, this all just hit me rather personally and I’m not even sure in which sense way back in September. I’m not sure what drew me here nor what keeps me here so invested. I was alone, summer was drifting towards a close, I was breathing, I was having a peaceful week and Gabby’s face peered out on someone’s insta on her missing poster and I thought how strange… from that moment I think it’s about the how and why. What happened to such a young couple living life to their fullest, staged or not staged, going on an adventure, visiting beautiful places and for it to end so tragically and then the fact that most of us tuned in the day or two AFTER Brian wandered off into the swamp. I’m still here because I just wonder, I don’t *need* answers because it’s not my daughter or my son so it’s ok if we never get answers, we’re not entitled to that. But what if we do get tidbits of info? Answers to what raised so many questions one calm summer day… I wonder about the Laundrie parents, what happened? Did they know? IMO no they didn’t. As for closure for GP’s family, unfortunately I’m not sure they will ever have closure, if Brian was still alive they would never have closure, without him here closure isn’t an option IMO. As for us I don’t think we’re entitled to closure at all even if this story has us all here looking for answers and has probably consumed many of us more than we imagined.

100%

It shows a lot of holes in trees and logs, for sure, but I've seen nothing to verify that they are bullet holes. That would take forensic analysis and that info has not been released yet. Although I wish to heaven it would be.

Considering it is a legal hunting ground, I think we can state with certainty that there are bullet holes in that area. The bullet holes may be completely unrelated to Gabby's murder as it was a legal hunting ground. But there can be absolutely zero doubt that bullet holes WOULD be present in a legal hunting ground. No reasonable person would think otherwise. The type of hunting which takes place there is for elk, black bear and moose all of which are hunted using hunting rifles and, in some cases bow hunting. The fact that so much hunting is done in this area makes it crucial for Spread Creek campers to stick to actual legal campsites in order to avoid being involved in a hunting accident.

IF this scenario was what happened, then BL should have told that to LE when they came knocking on his door. He should have cooperated with the police, offered all the information he had about her last known location, and done whatever he could to help them track down this mysterious 3rd person, knowing that he would be the prime suspect until signs pointed elsewhere. He should have been out there looking harder than anyone else, trying to clear his name.

IF this were the case, there would also be no reason for the "no service in Yosemite [Yellowstone]" message sent to GP's mom on the 30th (which LE undoubtedly has ping locations for). A stranger committing a random act of violence probably wouldn't be able to access her phone in the first place, since most people have some sort of lock on their device. A stranger committing a random act of violence, who doesn't even take the time to try to hide the body, isn't going to take the time to lead her parents down a false trail or buy themselves time with a message like that. A stranger committing a random act of violence probably wouldn't have even known that Yellowstone was on her itinerary.

And, if this were the case either Brian or his parents would have responded to Gabby's parents please for information about her, instead of ignoring them!

There are a large amount of people who are NOT a part of the Petito or Laundrie families who seem to feel entitled to answers and revenge, and it is odd. MOO
Kind of a weird take, given that murder is prosecuted on behalf of the state, not on behalf of particular families. Crimes like murder are not just crimes against the victim and their family.

Kind of a weird take, given that murder is prosecuted on behalf of the state, not on behalf of particular families. Crimes like murder are not just crimes against the victim and their family.

True. But lawful prosecutions aren't undertaken for the purpose of "revenge" or to publicly "shame" defendants either.
JMO

IF this scenario was what happened, then BL should have told that to LE when they came knocking on his door. He should have cooperated with the police, offered all the information he had about her last known location, and done whatever he could to help them track down this mysterious 3rd person, knowing that he would be the prime suspect until signs pointed elsewhere. He should have been out there looking harder than anyone else, trying to clear his name.

IF this were the case, there would also be no reason for the "no service in Yosemite [Yellowstone]" message sent to GP's mom on the 30th (which LE undoubtedly has ping locations for). A stranger committing a random act of violence probably wouldn't be able to access her phone in the first place, since most people have some sort of lock on their device. A stranger committing a random act of violence, who doesn't even take the time to try to hide the body, isn't going to take the time to lead her parents down a false trail or buy themselves time with a message like that. A stranger committing a random act of violence probably wouldn't have even known that Yellowstone was on her itinerary.

What you think BL SHOULD have done is the opposite of what any criminal defense lawyer would advise his client to do.

Phones are much easier to access by criminals than most people know. I have a friend whose phone and that of her daughter were stolen and the thieves were in and using the phones to buy stuff within the hour.

BL didn't bring Gabby's phone home and it was not with her. In fact, as far as we know it is still missing. BL's phone was also apparently missing, hence his mom took him to buy a new phone when he got back to Florida. The last message said "No cell service in Yosemite". Gabby was not going to Yosemite at all. Whoever wrote that message either really didn't know her itinerary or made a mistake. People here, without proof, have assumed BL made a mistake, but we don't know that for certain. There is no proof at all that Brian wrote that, only assumptions.

What you think BL SHOULD have done is the opposite of what any criminal defense lawyer would advise his client to do.

Phones are much easier to access by criminals than most people know. I have a friend whose phone and that of her daughter were stolen and the thieves were in and using the phones to buy stuff within the hour.

BL didn't bring Gabby's phone home and it was not with her. In fact, as far as we know it is still missing. BL's phone was also apparently missing, hence his mom took him to buy a new phone when he got back to Florida. The last message said "No cell service in Yosemite". Gabby was not going to Yosemite at all. Whoever wrote that message either really didn't know her itinerary or made a mistake. People here, without proof, have assumed BL made a mistake, but we don't know that for certain. There is no proof at all that Brian wrote that, only assumptions.

Well there are hot springs in Yosemite…so maybe he tossed them in one. Maybe Gabby tried t9 send a message by typing Yosemite when people knew she was not going there….or like you said, someone, maybe BL, goofed up!

many questions and many will never be answered

What do you think the chances are that there are no bullet holes in an area used for hunting? IMO, zero.

I think he did suffer. To an extreme degree. Enough to walk away from those who loved him and take his own life.
IMO, he was a not only a murderer but a coward as well.
His actions were of his own selfish and irresponsible choice and his parents backing him up by refusing to speak with Gabby’s mother while she was desperately searching for her daughter, only supported their dysfunctional parenting of their son. You think HE suffered? <modsnip> Gabby suffered and now her parents are suffering by being victims of them! IMO, of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
Law Office of Richard B. STAFFORD
Attorney at Law

The Schmidt and Petito family has been aware of the circumstances surrounding the suicide of the sole suspect in Gabby’s murder. Gabby’s family will not be making a statement at this time due to the request of the United States Attorneys Office and the Teton County Prosecutors Office. The family was asked to not make any comments and let the FBI continue their investigation. The family was also asked to wait for the United States Attorney’s Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged. When that determination is made, we will have a statement.

Uploaded by
Fox News
Description:
Statement from attorney Richard Stafford

Schmidt and Petito Statement November 23, 2021 | PDF
You know what the key word in this statement is to me? "Additional." As in, "... whether any additional individuals will be charged..." This stated after mentioning BL's suicide. Sounds to me like the US Attorney's Office has made the case for BL being GP's killer, because anyone else would then be "additional." Not that I really doubted who killed her, but that statement seems pretty clear now. Jmo.

ETA: Although to be my own devil's advocate, they could just mean charges on top of BL's "unauthorized use" charges, so IDK...

Last edited:
IMO, he was a not only a murderer but a coward as well.
His actions were of his own selfish and irresponsible choice and his parents backing him up by refusing to speak with Gabby’s mother while she was desperately searching for her daughter, only supported their dysfunctional parenting of their son. You think HE suffered? BS! Gabby suffered and now her parents are suffering by being victims of them! IMO, of course!

His actions were of his own selfish and irresponsible choice
(Respectfully quoted & bolded by me)

Exactly,
He CHOSE to die
Gabby did not choose to die
He CHOSE for Gabby to die

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online