TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

I'm not sure it was a scheduled pick up. In the video from inside the house, the person says "her ex-husband showed up" which sounds like it was unexpected, but who knows
Hmmm, interesting. So many things about this just don’t make sense. I think these people have quite a history with each other, and not a good one at that. IMO

The death happened November 5 and the article including the widow's statement is dated November 26. What do you mean by fast?

I thought the shooting was more recent. It still appears she is trying to get ahead of something with this statement.

I think this might be our lad. As someone in the comments said, this really didn’t age well. You’d think someone who was a 2A supporter would know warning shots are a terrible ******* idea.

I made it 2 minutes and would wager that this guy has dreamed of using a weapon for “defense” over many years. I’d also bet that if anything is charged, he will seek public glory and say he is being beat up due to his political stance.

Not sure what exactly happened here. I think we need a little more context into the people involved to get a better idea of what exactly happened. I’d like to know more about this child custody dispute, and I think it would also be relevant if Kyle and Chad had any prior incidents of violence with each other. From the videos we do have, I think it’s fair to say bad decisions were made by both men here. I think Kyle’s decision to go inside to come back out with a rifle needlessly escalated the situation. Up to that point, I see no indication Chad had done anything violent or threatening besides saying he’d be sending people subpoenas. Chad, however, reacted badly in my opinion as well. His decision to advance on a man with a rifle who had already told him multiple times to leave the property AND then threaten to take Kyle’s gun and use it on him may have given Kyle a reason to believe his life was in danger. You can actually see Chad make a gesture as if he’s reaching for the gun just before Kyle fires the warning shot (also a TERRIBLE idea for Kyle to do that legally and tactically btw). One last observation: in the two videos out there of this incident, I noticed the amount of time between when Kyle gets thrown off the porch, turns around, and shoots Chad is noticeably different. In the video filmed from inside the house, it seems much more rapid and spontaneous. However, in the version filmed outside, there seems to be a moment where he takes aim, pauses, and then fires. Since it appears Chad did not move after shoving Kyle, I think it’s fair to say that if Kyle waited longer before shooting, he ought to have had more time to process Chad as no longer posing a threat. Not a lawyer though, so for all I know, my takes here could be complete bull.
It’s not bull at all. If Kyle had shot him when he fired that shot into the floor when Chad was right next to him and reached down for the gun, THAT would have been self defense, but once Chad tossed him along with the gun ten feet away from the porch and did not go after him, THAT’S when it became murder. The timing is everything. IMO

Does anybody know where this firearm was in the house? He emerged with it pretty quick so he sure didn’t need to look far. Most keep long guns in a cabinet or a closet. Do they have guns laying around when children are present?

It’s not bull at all. If Kyle had shot him when he fired that shot into the floor when Chad was right next to him and reached down for the gun, THAT would have been self defense, but once Chad tossed him along with the gun ten feet away from the porch and did not go after him, THAT’S when it became murder. The timing is everything. IMO
IMO Kyle is a small man and acted like one , running inside to get his gun.

Good points in these posts.

Does anybody know where this firearm was in the house? He emerged with it pretty quick so he sure didn’t need to look far. Most keep long guns in a cabinet or a closet. Do they have guns laying around when children are present?
I don’t know, but that’s one of the reasons why Jennifer Read wants custody of Chad’s children. A past poster said that Chad’s Ex wife and their children live with Kyle in his home. I can’t even imagine what that scenario is like.:(

IMO Kyle is a small man and acted like one , running inside to get his gun.
Definitely a Napoleon Complex. Probably got kicked around on the playground growing up so now he hides behind a big gun or two or three or more to feel powerful.
He didn’t kill Chad because he feared for his life, he killed Chad because he was humiliated when Chad threw him and his big gun across his own front porch like the pansy he is in front of two women and made him look like an ***.
IMO (And I bet he drives the biggest 4WD truck on the market too!):p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p:D:p

Immediately after the shooting, the shooter says something about it being his "place of employment." Was it not a home?

Is there additional video from inside, such as when he went in and retrieved the gun or walked back outside with it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566
Back