TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

Immediately after the shooting, the shooter says something about it being his "place of employment." Was it not a home?

Is there additional video from inside, such as when he went in and retrieved the gun or walked back outside with it?

It appears they quoted the entire Texas gun statutes on that video. They must have studied this law prior to having to “defend” the home. There’s no way the cops aren’t seeing thru this.

Kyle Carruth attorney makes case for self-defense after deadly shooting of Chad Read | KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com

Guinn took it a step further and said Read might have been looking for a confrontation.

Guinn said, “Through my own investigation I have become aware that Mr. Read seemed obsessed with Mr. Carruth and even the night before approached two prominent Lubbock citizens at dinner — discussing his desire to see harm come to Mr. Carruth – specifically that someone needed to kick his *advertiser censored**.”

When I lived in TX many years ago, these kinds of shoot outs over child custody were a sad, common occurrence.

The killer was nearly always the divorced father and victims were usually the mother/ex-wife or caregiver of the child. The location was frequently the day care center or pre-school of the child.

So, it doesnt seem unusual that the boyfriend had a gun and was ready to use it. When I lived in the DFW area many years ago, these shootings happened 3 or 4 times a year. My kids day care finally installed an extra layer of locked doors at the entrance because some day care workers were killed in local attacks.

Never lived anywhere else where this happened. Its something to do with the patriarchal subculture down there. Men see control of their wives and children as a huge issue.

Kyle Carruth attorney makes case for self-defense after deadly shooting of Chad Read | KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com

Guinn took it a step further and said Read might have been looking for a confrontation.

Guinn said, “Through my own investigation I have become aware that Mr. Read seemed obsessed with Mr. Carruth and even the night before approached two prominent Lubbock citizens at dinner — discussing his desire to see harm come to Mr. Carruth – specifically that someone needed to kick his *advertiser censored**.”
Interesting.

It’s not bull at all. If Kyle had shot him when he fired that shot into the floor when Chad was right next to him and reached down for the gun, THAT would have been self defense, but once Chad tossed him along with the gun ten feet away from the porch and did not go after him, THAT’S when it became murder. The timing is everything. IMO
I completely agree about the warning shot. If you’re going to fire a gun during a defense encounter, it should ONLY be at someone or something that is threatening you. There are too many reasons why warning shots are a bad idea to properly list, but you are right IMO that if Kyle had shot Chad at that point, he’d have a much stronger claim of self defense. Chad had just threatened to take the gun and use it on him, THEN made a gesture which Kyle could have reasonable perceived as Chad reaching for the gun. There’s your justification right there.

I made it 2 minutes and would wager that this guy has dreamed of using a weapon for “defense” over many years. I’d also bet that if anything is charged, he will seek public glory and say he is being beat up due to his political stance.
The scary thing is I don’t necessarily disagree with a lot of the stuff he says here. It’s his more recent actions which leave a sour taste in my mouth honestly, and the irony of him being super reasonable and calm here compared to how he was with Chad is unnerving.

The scary thing is I don’t necessarily disagree with a lot of the stuff he says here. It’s his more recent actions which leave a sour taste in my mouth honestly, and the irony of him being super reasonable and calm here compared to how he was with Chad is unnerving.

The whole mixing of guns and politics sours me. I have them but don’t feel empowered or like they are remedies for my political woes. And I don’t trust people who do. It just looks like he had an opportunity to eliminate a rival and expects the state to back him. Why else would people on that video be sure and recite words from the defense law?

I mean, am I missing a point or seeing things that aren’t there? We always question things in these forums and I’m doing that. I’m not delving into conspiracy land but just observing the players in this situation.

everythinglubbock.com has a report and statement now from Kyles lawyer to potential jurors, uh I mean the public. It goes into the media being critical of LE for withholding standard police report info and the local prosecutor recusing. The lawyer speaks for LE too by saying they didn’t have cause for charges and what a great job they do, tho LE hasn’t declared it justified yet but I think they will. Jumping out ahead of this with these statements is funky.

Hearsay. If he was looking for a confrontation why didn't he have his own gun.

Of course his lawyer would say that. So the unarmed man threatened the armed man and he was scared?

According to the statement, the atty says that the unarmed guy threatened to take the gun and use it with a few other choice MF words. I still think the provoking is the key but they are going to say it was a warning. He repeats that they kept telling him to leave the property. Key word being property.

Who was he defending? The man was threatening court, not his life or his girlfriend's life.

He was threatening KC. This is what CR said about the gun after KC told him to leave.

"You better use it, mother ! Cause God damn it I'll take it from you and use it on you!"

Then CR made a move with his hand toward the gun and KC discharged the gun. Then CR tried to take the gun from KC, but was unsuccessful.

Here's a link to the video

https://twitter.com/RyanChandler98/status/1463654744803713029?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

He was threatening KC. This is what CR said about the gun after KC told him to leave.

"You better ******* use it, mother ******! Cause God damn it I'll take it from you and ******* use it on you!"

Then CR made a move with his hand toward the gun and KC discharged the gun. Then CR tried to take the gun from KC, but was unsuccessful.

Here's a link to the video

https://twitter.com/RyanChandler98/status/1463654744803713029?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
As previously stated, Kyle would have been justified IMO had he shot Chad right there. Chad had made a threat to use deadly force and then made a gesture a reasonable person could have interpreted as a credible attempt to carry out that threat. Not sure if the warning shot puts Kyle in any legal hot water here. After all, it probably would be considered a use of deadly force, but deadly force is only supposed to be used, as a general rule, under the reasonable belief one faces the imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. If you fire a warning shot (not directly at the person threatening you) does that not demonstrate a lack of fear on your part? Hope that makes sense. I know text messages can sometimes be hard to decipher.

Immediately after the shooting, the shooter says something about it being his "place of employment." Was it not a home?

Is there additional video from inside, such as when he went in and retrieved the gun or walked back outside with it?
I think he was already trying to cover his *advertiser censored** by saying that on video as an attempt to justify his action accordingly to the Castle Doctrine. IMO

As previously stated, Kyle would have been justified IMO had he shot Chad right there. Chad had made a threat to use deadly force and then made a gesture a reasonable person could have interpreted as a credible attempt to carry out that threat. Not sure if the warning shot puts Kyle in any legal hot water here. After all, it probably would be considered a use of deadly force, but deadly force is only supposed to be used, as a general rule, under the reasonable belief one faces the imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. If you fire a warning shot (not directly at the person threatening you) does that not demonstrate a lack of fear on your part? Hope that makes sense. I know text messages can sometimes be hard to decipher.

I don't feel like I would fire a warning shot if I wasn't fearful, but that's just me.

I do agree he would have been golden if he'd have shot him the first time--not sure if we'll ever find out if it was a warning shot or a negligent discharge.

I'm hoping there is more video so we can see if CR was advancing toward KC before the final 2 shots. There is a still photo floating around that makes it appear he was, but I think video is needed to confirm the timing of the shot and the lifting of his leg that makes it appear CR was moving towards KC. As Andrew Branca said in the video posted up thread, even a shift of CR's body weight toward KC would make it more likely to be self defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back