Deceased/Not Found CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend claimed to have picked Heidi up there in 2020? That is the first I've heard of that in the media. Where was that reported?

I am the worst in the world at keeping notes here, but I am sure someone else here can point you to a link. In the meantime, I will go look. It was a one- time thing apparently, and I want to believe it was at night, bc I remember wondering if perhaps she had been to a social engagement and needed a designated driver.

I wasn't suggesting JW had anything to do with killing HP. I was responding to a post that suggested the H&F would be sued for various things ranging from wrongful death to inflicting mental distress on BW. The basis for the latter claim appeared to be that the H&F slowed the investigation by asking for a warrant before security tapes were turned over.

We don't know if anything the H&F did or didn't do is cause for a lawsuit. From other recent posts it sounds like their security is lacking. If I were paying tons of money to live there I'd be angry and believe the management breached its duty to me. But I'm not sure what sort of duty the H&F would have to visitors like HP.

Obviously there's alot we don't know about the case. But the only truly inexplicable delay that I know about was because of JW. I agree that since they were divorced he shouldn't know where HP was at every minute (although he seemed to know an awful lot.) But the last time he saw HP (at the game on Oct 17) she had her dog with her. JW says he reported her missing on the 20th, three days after she went missing. After that, he thought about the dog. Then the chip. But even after he got HP's phone on Oct 21, four days after she went missing, he admits he didn't look to see if anyone had left a message about the dog until Oct 25, eight days after she went missing.

New clues revealed in missing mom mystery from odd text to multiple phones

He had to know finding the dog was a logical step towards finding Heidi. So why the delay until Oct 25?

As I said before, one possibility is he was busy trying to get custody. Paperwork asking for full custody was filed with the court on Oct 26.

Ex-husband of Heidi Planck shares texts from their 11-year-old son as he is granted full custody | Daily Mail Online

JMO
Maybe he’s not a pet owner so it just didn’t dawn on him. Maybe it took someone else (friend? LE?) mentioning trying looking for Seven as a way to find Heidi with the dog before he actively attempted the route he did.

The phone he took that was located at her house was (he believed to be) business phone that also got all her personal calls and messages, too, so maybe there was so many calls, voicemails, and texts to go through that the dog finder ones were kind of lost in the heap. (No experience with how both business and personal phone numbers appear in one phone, so I could be totally off with this, just trying to make sense of it.) MOO

I am the worst in the world at keeping notes here, but I am sure someone else here can point you to a link. In the meantime, I will go look. It was a one- time thing apparently, and I want to believe it was at night, bc I remember wondering if perhaps she had been to a social engagement and needed a designated driver.
I don’t recall there being any other info. Just that she’d picked her up there and didn’t know why she was there. It’s just SO weird to me because why wouldn’t you ask your friend? Not in a nosy way just a how’s your day kind of thing. Ha. It just doesn’t make me want to trust the story I guess. Or maybe she does know why/who she was there to see and chose not to share at this time.

A friend claimed to have picked Heidi up there in 2020? That is the first I've heard of that in the media. Where was that reported?

This is what I posted back on 11/7 when another poster asked about it:

As far as I know, that bit of information was only mentioned once, from NBC reporter Maura Barrett.

“One of Planck’s friends told NBC, that she had once picked her up at the residential building where her dog was found, back in 2020, but no one knows anything more her connection to it.”

Friends search for California woman missing for 2 weeks

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ca-heidi-planck-39-left-son’s-football-game-in-downey-dog-found-in-los-angeles-17-oct-2021-2.599908/page-31#post-17260125

As far as I know, that bit of information was only mentioned once, from NBC reporter Maura Barrett.

“One of Planck’s friends told NBC, that she had once picked her up at the residential building where her dog was found, back in 2020, but no one knows anything more her connection to it.”

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ca-heidi-planck-39-left-son’s-football-game-in-downey-dog-found-in-los-angeles-17-oct-2021-2.599908/page-31#post-17260125
I am almost positive that I saw it on an interview that was filmed…I remember the friends reaction looking like maybe she shouldn’t have said that after the reporter asked why she picked her up or why she was there bc it totally stood out to me but who knows what news clip that was or if it’s still available

Thanks! This is interesting as I had not heard that before now. So now there is apparently some past history with the H+F bldg. If Heidi was murdered the culprit wasn't smart to leave the dog. That floor is probably the first place LE is going to look at in the H+F.

Why do we think LAPD “raided” her home and took evidence on the 29th? She had at that point only been reported missing and her car had not been found nor did they have a warrant for H+F to my knowledge…when did LE know that the dog was even found there so we know that date? And why does everyone say the SEC was still investigating JS? All I can find is that that was over in 2019 and there is nothing open and/or active?

I have wondered if she could be in a witness protection situation based on her employers crooked dealings?

I have wondered if she could be in a witness protection situation based on her employers crooked dealings?
They are searching a landfill for evidence and human remains based on evidence they found at the building in downtown Los Angeles so she is definitely not in witness protection unfortunately

They are searching a landfill for evidence and human remains based on evidence they found at the building in downtown Los Angeles so she is definitely not in witness protection unfortunately
Oh dear, I'm back at Websleuths after a long hiatus...life got in the way, so I'm not up to date on this. Thanks for the info.

I don’t think so, simply because they’ve continued using resources to look for her. Updates have been pretty sparse so WP has been brought up before, but I think this last one means they really believe she is no longer alive. I’m not sure what the approach would have been if she was indeed in a program, but I think they would have shut down media and things from the start to kill the story.

Why do we think LAPD “raided” her home and took evidence on the 29th? She had at that point only been reported missing and her car had not been found nor did they have a warrant for H+F to my knowledge…when did LE know that the dog was even found there so we know that date? And why does everyone say the SEC was still investigating JS? All I can find is that that was over in 2019 and there is nothing open and/or active?
His partner was charged and sentenced, but I don’t think he has gone through with a trial. Maybe they are working on a settlement. The pandemic has delayed a lot of stuff too.

I don’t recall there being any other info. Just that she’d picked her up there and didn’t know why she was there. It’s just SO weird to me because why wouldn’t you ask your friend? Not in a nosy way just a how’s your day kind of thing. Ha. It just doesn’t make me want to trust the story I guess. Or maybe she does know why/who she was there to see and chose not to share at this time.

I would 100% ask in a nosy way lol. If your friend (who has a license and a car) asks you to pick them up from a random apartment complex, how can you not ask?? Like not even a little bit curious? You definitely may be right that the friend might know but chose not to share at that time. But then why bring it up at all to the media?

I don’t remember the last time I followed a case that had so much confusing, contradictory, poorly reported information. I wish most of the reporting didn’t come from the daily mail and the sun.

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2019/comp24518.pdf

It looks like he was already charged and it is settled more or less or am I missing something? All this stuff also was from a long time ago and he had a different assistant back then that’s in records. Nothing is active on SEC site regarding him so I’m just confused why everyone thinks he’s still be investigated. No one has said or has prob of this other than hearsay or assumptions at this point. And it’s just LAPD at her home but at some point someone said FBI i just feel like there is so much bad lol or misconstrued reporting

I would 100% ask in a nosy way lol. If your friend (who has a license and a car) asks you to pick them up from a random apartment complex, how can you not ask?? Like not even a little bit curious? You definitely may be right that the friend might know but chose not to share at that time. But then why bring it up at all to the media?

I don’t remember the last time I followed a case that had so much confusing, contradictory, poorly reported information. I wish most of the reporting didn’t come from the daily mail and the sun.

Interesting area of thought: what is NOT being covered (reported) in this case - and WHY. YMMV

Interesting area of thought: what is NOT being covered (reported) in this case - and WHY. YMMV

Because it's an active homicide investigation. Investigators do not want to tip off potential witnesses about what the evidence might be. We already know quite a bit, at least about the basics of what LE thinks happened.

I am a very private person, and if my friend picked me up and asked what I was doing there, I might just say, "Oh, I had some things to do there." End of conversation.

I don't find it odd at all - at least not as odd as so many people on Melrose saying they knew Heidi, saw her often and that she was a cheerful, helpful member of their community, always cheerful, very friendly, "everyone knew her."

It's a shopping district, she didn't live that close to it, but apparently she was there a lot. I wonder why. How did shopping create a situation in which people thought she was so helpful? None of them says that she was their friend, just that she was a "member of their community."

Apparently she just...hung out there. Did she also "hang out" near H+F?

Last edited:
His partner was charged and sentenced, but I don’t think he has gone through with a trial. Maybe they are working on a settlement. The pandemic has delayed a lot of stuff too.
JS will not be tried criminally, as his partner and others were. Instead, the feds are going after him in a civil matter to recoup $9 million of what he stole, but he is not looking at jail time or a criminal conviction. Not for that past stuff, anyway.

I have read suspicions here and elsewhere that JS has continued his shady dealings into the present time, but I have seen no evidence of current charges/allegations/investigations. jmo

It’s also confusing information coming from JW and very few friends who have shared, and little family. Just a mystery all around. I feel like we have so little grasp on who she was and how she spent her time. Even her work (title, duties, volume) is murky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth