Jana Duggar Charged With Endangering the Welfare of a Minor, Sept 2021 *Guilty*

CharlestonGal

Former Member
Reaction score
Jana Duggar has been charged with endangering the welfare of a minor, the Elms Springs district clerk confirms to In Touch.

The eldest daughter of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar from 19 Kids and Counting fame, 31, pleaded not guilty on September 23. While endangering the welfare of a minor could either be a Class D felony or a Class A misdemeanor based on the degree in Arkansas, Jana was charged with a misdemeanor. In Touch obtained her citation report, revealing the charge was filed on September 10 for the incident that allegedly took place on September 9, 2021, and her bail was set at $430. Her hearing was set for January 10, 2022, after being rescheduled.

Jana Duggar Charged With Endangering the Welfare of a Minor

According to the Washington County court document obtained by PEOPLE, the 19 Kids and Counting alum, 31, received the citation on Sept. 9. She has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The document did not disclose the circumstances surrounding the charge.

Jana is scheduled to appear in court for a bench trial on Jan. 10, 2022.

Her attorney did not immediately respond to PEOPLE's request for comment.

Jana Duggar Charged with Endangering the Welfare of a Minor amid Josh Duggar Child *advertiser censored* Scandal

I feel bad for Jana. While she doesn't have any children, being the oldest girl, presumably she has to babysit a lot of her siblings and now the children of her siblings?
Sounds like of them managed to run off for a bit.

I feel bad for Jana. While she doesn't have any children, being the oldest girl, presumably she has to babysit a lot of her siblings and now the children of her siblings?
Sounds like of them managed to run off for a bit.

"Out of the blue" My kid opened the door and ran off down the street in just his diaper on a cold day, glad cops weren't called on me. Neighbor really nice about it. Should'a named him Dash.

Last edited:
Jana has entered a plea deal and is expected to appear in the Washington County District Court on January 10, the clerk said. According to court papers, the 31-year-old was charged on September 10, and posted $430 bail.

Last edited:
I wonder how the charge/pleading guilty will effect her in the church. Our church requires a background check for anybody teaching Sunday school, attending nursery, or having any interaction with children. I wonder if she now won't be allowed???

Jana has entered a plea deal and is expected to appear in the Washington County District Court on January 10, the clerk said. According to court papers, the 31-year-old was charged on September 10, and posted $430 bail.

Hmm, JB Duggar probably has "Bail Bonds R Us" on speed dial. Gotta love that.

<modsnip> Keep in mind that this is a laundry list which also includes felonies.

Child Endangerment - Hickey & Hull Law Partners | Arkansas Divorce Attorney

Someone agreed with this:

• Leaving another young child unsupervised to care for a young child
But who knows.....
If I can quote from that site, which summarizes the AR laws:

• Endangering the Welfare of a Minor in the Second Degree is a Class A Misdemeanor. The responsible adult knowingly behaves in a way that causes harm or serious injury to a minor’s physical or mental well-being. Harm or injury is considered to be a lingering disfigurement, sustained damage to a vital organ or body part or a diminished mental or physical capacity.
Bold is original

This is the charge we're talking about, correct? The Class A misdemeanor?

I found the "knowingly behaves" phrasing quite striking!

And even if we're talking about the Class D misdemeanor, the "knowingly behaved" is not a factor, but the rest is.

So, there had to be damage of some kind. What was the damage?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can quote from that site, which summarizes the AR laws:

• Endangering the Welfare of a Minor in the Second Degree is a Class A Misdemeanor. The responsible adult knowingly behaves in a way that causes harm or serious injury to a minor’s physical or mental well-being. Harm or injury is considered to be a lingering disfigurement, sustained damage to a vital organ or body part or a diminished mental or physical capacity.
Bold is original

This is the charge we're talking about, correct? The Class A misdemeanor?

I found the "knowingly behaves" phrasing quite striking!

And even if we're talking about the Class D misdemeanor, the "knowingly behaved" is not a factor, but the rest is.

So, there had to be damage of some kind. What was the damage?

According to a news report: "Jana Duggar, 31, was charged with endangering the welfare of a minor, 3rd degree"
Jana Duggar charged with endangering the welfare of a minor

So it looks like it's is a Class B misdemeanor

Last edited:
Was the child injured?

That would be the same as a I wrote above, but with the omission of "knowingly behaves". Question, though: What was the harm that was caused?

None of us know.......

I would think if, for example a child is left in a vehicle, they would probably automatically assumed to be injured even if they weren't. Total speculation.....

I wonder how the charge/pleading guilty will effect her in the church. Our church requires a background check for anybody teaching Sunday school, attending nursery, or having any interaction with children. I wonder if she now won't be allowed???

They don't attend a "real" church. They attend a small "home church" that is pastored by one of the Duggar son's FIL afaik. I don't think it will effect her or the family's standing in the church. To be honest I don't think this charge will really change anything.

That would be the same as a I wrote above, but with the omission of "knowingly behaves". Question, though: What was the harm that was caused?

I'm not a lawyer, but could it be that harm could have been caused? Like a child who wandered off could have been hit by a car, drowned, got abducted, etc.?

Someone agreed with this:

• Leaving another young child unsupervised to care for a young child

Maybe leaving one of the grandchildren (all 12 and under) unsupervised to care for a baby and then a minor accident happened? I can see maybe Jana left one of the older grandchildren to care for a baby/toddler, someone gets (non-lethally) injured...

I don't know what Jana Duggar did, but the bar must be very low for "Child Endangerment" charges in Arkansas.

Because I have seen meth addicts in Las Vegas, drive up to the market with 4 kids in the car, not one with a seat belt or in a car seat, left in the car, alone, in Las Vegas heat, while Mama goes and gets some beer. Zero charges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back