SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

. . . Im a little confused by the mothers statement , Is she saying she felt he was murdered elsewhere, or that he was run down by someone intentionally?

I'm guessing that she's saying there are inconsistencies and coincidences co-occuring which she does not understand to fit the current explanation for his death. I find them.

I mistated in my post above when I stated "Ms. Smith must be correct that Stephen was not the victim of a hit and run," as I'm not entirely sure of her full position. But to the extent she is asserting or suggesting or even asking if he could not have been the victim of hit and run at the location his body was found, in the road, in my view, based on information I outlined, the lack of any body or vehicular evidence at scene, she would have to be correct about that. He could not have been.

Ms. Smith may also have not known how to or was/is unwilling to make same statement, especially at the time.

If the press reports that there was no body detritus, even blood, or any vehicular debris of any kind anywhere near the scene his body was located are correct, then this could not have been a hit and run that occurred at the location his body was found. All other conclusions must be determined after that.

But if these reports of lack of body and vehicular debris are correct, he could not have been the victim of hit and run at the location he was found. He could only have been a) hit and run victim elsewhere and moved here after or b) victim of other cause of death.

As I understand, local officers (not ME) posed alternate theory of death based on review of his body at time. (Head Injury Stephen Smith Sustained Was Consistent With Gunshot Wound, Investigators Said in Case Notes) I have not reviewed this full article and discovered its relevance in response to your post. It believe it likely supports my own supposition though.

If my car were out of gas, that's not how I would have left it. It's inconsistently obvious, in my opinion. Please review photos of car as discovered.

I now consider the road scene to be the staging scene and the scene, cause, and time of death to be undetermined.

Also from LE at time of discovery, "It's a death investigation for Stephen Smith, not a hit and run . . . " (https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252959213.html)

I'm inclined to death occurred elsewhere and have not reviewed the case other than through press reports and photos.

Finally to note, this article posted by ABC today (Hit-and-run death reopened in mother and son shooting deaths)
"On Location: December 12, 2021

Catch up on the developing stories making headlines.
ABCNews.com"

Last edited:
I just watched the new Oxygen Network show called "Alex Murdaugh: Death. Deception. Power" with investigative reporter Troy Roberts that aired recently.

S.C. Highway Patrol CPL Michael Duncan (Ret.) who was in charge of the initial response by M.A.I.T. (Multi-Disciplinary Accident Investigation Team) said something I hadn't heard before. Apparently he was told that a rape kit was done on Stephen. He couldn't understand why a rape kit would be done on a hit and run victim and still doesn't.

I find that very disturbing. That officer who did the recorded interviews with Stephen's friends also talked to one young man who said he'd heard that Stephen was chased through the woods that night.

CPL Duncan also mentioned where Stephen was found had no evidence surrounding him at all. There was no blood splatter or impact pieces of a vehicle...nothing but his body.

All that taken together paints a horrible picture of someone chased down, possibly sexually assaulted, killed and then dumped away from the actual murder scene.

Troy Roberts used some interesting language in describing what SLED found during the Murdaugh murders investigation that led to SS's case being reopened. He said some "shocking evidence" was found. I don't know if those were his own words or words told to him. Just thought it was interesting enough to also mention.

JULY 23, 2021 09:46 AM,
UPDATED 1 HOUR 1 MINUTE AGO

Police hit roadblocks, chased rumors linking Murdaughs in Stephen Smith death investigation

The records show S.C. Highway Patrol investigators circled the Murdaugh family, interviewing people with third-hand information, but never actually asked family members about their alleged involvement.

The files show that a Murdaugh family member, a personal injury lawyer, called the Smith family on the day Stephen Smith was found dead, offering to represent them at no charge. The family told police they thought the offer was “weird.”

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252957108.html

The DAY he was found?! I wasn’t sold on the family being involved but this seals it for me. Wow.

I just watched the new Oxygen Network show called "Alex Murdaugh: Death. Deception. Power" with investigative reporter Troy Roberts that aired recently.

S.C. Highway Patrol CPL Michael Duncan (Ret.) who was in charge of the initial response by M.A.I.T. (Multi-Disciplinary Accident Investigation Team) said something I hadn't heard before. Apparently he was told that a rape kit was done on Stephen. He couldn't understand why a rape kit would be done on a hit and run victim and still doesn't.

I find that very disturbing. That officer who did the recorded interviews with Stephen's friends also talked to one young man who said he'd heard that Stephen was chased through the woods that night.

CPL Duncan also mentioned where Stephen was found had no evidence surrounding him at all. There was no blood splatter or impact pieces of a vehicle...nothing but his body.

All that taken together paints a horrible picture of someone chased down, possibly sexually assaulted, killed and then dumped away from the actual murder scene.

Troy Roberts used some interesting language in describing what SLED found during the Murdaugh murders investigation that led to SS's case being reopened. He said some "shocking evidence" was found. I don't know if those were his own words or words told to him. Just thought it was interesting enough to also mention.
Just dropped in. Wonder if the rape kit revealed anyone's dna?

Thank you for this information. I was just about to ask if it was ever released that there was any blood splatter surrounding Stephen, especially around his head at the crime scene. If investigators came onto scene and it was pristine except for the state of his body, I am 100% sure he was killed somewhere else and moved there. I too found it strange they did a rape kit. That is not standard procedure, especially in a male. MOO.

I don’t think this has been posted about Stephen’s case:

‘Murdaugh Murders’ Saga: Forensic Team Rises To The Challenge | FitsNews, 13 April 2022

[Will Folks writing] <snipped> …. we have learned there are two investigations related to Stephen Smith – one into who killed him and a second probing allegations of obstruction of justice in the aftermath of his murder.

In an effort to get to the bottom of this mystery, forensic expert (and podcaster) Shannon Ferguson has taken this news outlet up on its challenge. Earlier this month, Ferguson traveled to South Carolina with her team – which includes fellow forensic experts Harlette Lacau and Bertha Hurtado. …

ALSO: Listen to a brief statement from Shannon Ferguson and her two colleagues about this case.

Last edited:
Mother of man killed in presumed 2015 hit-and-run releases statement on Murdaugh indictments

Sandy Smith, Stephen’s mother, released a statement Thursday after a Colleton County Grand Jury indicted Alex Murdaugh on two counts of murder and two gun charges in connection with the shooting deaths of his wife and son.

We have waited for answers for a long time in Stephen’s death, but I am not the only grieving loved one who needs help. I know that other loving family members have also searched for answers in the deaths of their family members. I am happy that SLED and the Attorney General’s Office have provided some closure and answers in the deaths of Maggie and Paul. While the many questions about my son’s death remain, this action gives me hope that we will get justice for my Stephen. We think of him and miss him every day and we grieve with the members of the Murdaugh and Branstetter families who have been left behind.

JULY 23, 2021 09:46 AM,
UPDATED 1 HOUR 1 MINUTE AGO

Police hit roadblocks, chased rumors linking Murdaughs in Stephen Smith death investigation

The records show S.C. Highway Patrol investigators circled the Murdaugh family, interviewing people with third-hand information, but never actually asked family members about their alleged involvement.

The files show that a Murdaugh family member, a personal injury lawyer, called the Smith family on the day Stephen Smith was found dead, offering to represent them at no charge. The family told police they thought the offer was “weird.”

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252957108.html
OMG.

Wasn't this tactic used with Gloria Satterfield's family as well? I seem to recall at GS's funeral, AM told the family they should sue him and then he conviently recommended his lawyer friend and proceeded to steal EVERYTHING from the settlement and totally lied the family.

Absolutely horrid!

With all the indicting going on, the GS exhumation pending, etc., it sure seems like some energy should be in Stephen’s case, too. Let’s hope we hear something about this *very* soon! This poor family has waited so long with no LE movement since June 2021. OMO.

Was so glad to see Stephen’s handsome gravestone. That was wonderful and brought his name into the news for a reminder.

I know there is a theory that Buster and Stephen were potentially having a secret romance, but to me I wonder if Alex was not the one having an affair with Stephen? Having grown up in a similar town with a friend who was gay, many kid’s dads would come into him and some dads even had secret rendezvous with him. These were dads who helped coach him in baseball and talk to him about faith (we went to a faith based school in a low country county with a christian only school curriculum)

It was mentioned often that Alex had mistresses and that his marriage was for sociopolitical gain.

I feel as if Alex admitting to a drug problem is a way to cover up his true secret: that he was closeted.

I can only imagine the patriarch going to these lengths of depravity, though I can also assume that Maggie was so quiet about the death of the maid and the death of Stephen bc she thought her boys also had culpability. It is not beyond the realm of imagination that Buster and Paul would find out about their father’s relationship with Stephen and want to seek revenge on Stephen in some way.

I think all things point back to Alex, including the nanny’s death. I believe he killed Paul and Maggie to silence them about more than just his financial indiscretions. Buster perhaps showed enough allegiance to his father to escape any wrath. But I believe Maggie and Paul were going to confront Alex about WHY Paul had been acting out, drinking, and subsequently killed Miss Beach in a DUI boating accident.

At any rate, watching the HBO documentary last night about this case and seeing Stephen’s family suffer is unbareable. I just wanted to reach through the screen and hug them while simultaneously wanting to scream for the injustice Stephen went through. I really hope they get down to the bottom of it. If Stephen’s phone was taken and in control of the Murdaughs after his death this may really damage evidence collection. The answers are in Stephen’s text logs. I hope they can retrieve them!

Last edited:
I know there is a theory that Buster and Stephen were potentially having a secret romance, but to me I wonder if Alex was not the one having an affair with Stephen? Having grown up in a similar town with a friend who was gay, many kid’s dads would come into him and some dads even had secret rendezvous with him. These were dads who helped coach him in baseball and talk to him about faith (we went to a faith based school in a low country county with a christian only school curriculum)

I feel as if Alex admitting to a drug problem is a way to cover up his true secret: that he was closeted.
That's interesting, and might also explain some of the missing money....what if he was being blackmailed, someone with knowledge of the affair (and perhaps knowing details of the murder as well) wanting money to keep quiet?

It was mentioned often that Alex had mistresses and that his marriage was for sociopolitical gain.

I can only imagine the patriarch going to these lengths of depravity, though I can also assume that Maggie was so quiet about the death of the maid and the death of Stephen bc she thought her boys also had culpability. It is not beyond the realm of imagination that Buster and Paul would find out about their father’s relationship with Stephen and want to seek revenge on Stephen in some way.

I think all things point back to Alex, including the nanny’s death. I believe he killed Paul and Maggie to silence them about more than just his financial indiscretions. Buster perhaps showed enough allegiance to his father to escape any wrath. But I believe Maggie and Paul were going to confront Alex about WHY Paul had been acting out, drinking, and subsequently killed Miss Beach in a DUI boating accident.

At any rate, watching the HBO documentary last night about this case and seeing Stephen’s family suffer is unbareable. I just wanted to reach through the screen and hug them while simultaneously wanting to scream for the injustice Stephen went through. I really hope they get down to the bottom of it. If Stephen’s phone was taken and in control of the Murdaughs after his death this may really damage evidence collection. The answers are in Stephen’s text logs. I hope they can retrieve them!
A "Like" just isn't enough for your post. I totally believe what you have written and my best friend and I have discussed this theory many times. I was concerned that if I posted my theory, it would be deleted. Thank you for posting this opinion.

That's interesting, and might also explain some of the missing money....what if he was being blackmailed, someone with knowledge of the affair (and perhaps knowing details of the murder as well) wanting money to keep quiet?

Thank you for bringing this up bc it was the angle I didn’t touch on yet (I was hoping to get more traction for the general theory of Alex and Stephen having a romantic relationship of some sort) and YES blackmail could be a HUGE aspect of why the near 10 million dollars couldn’t be accounted for. The family wasn’t living beyond their means really and didn’t spend it - at least on anything that could be tracked . Which makes me think blackmail. So many people had an axe to grind with them.

I wouldn’t doubt maybe even someone in Alex’s own circle, like family members. And certain family members (Randy) were very quick to insert themselves into Stephen’s case.

Alex supposedly wanted to die to get life insurance money for his son Buster. Did he feel guilty that Buster would inherit nothing otherwise bc it all had been paid out to blackmailer? Again I’m not buying that 10 million was spent on a drug habit. It doesn’t fly.

IMO This is about a secret at the center of the spider web. That secret was deeply personal to Alex. Everything leading out from the center of the web, all
Those little woven lines, just collateral.

Last edited:
Also we can’t discount cousin (Eddie?) who was so ready to shoot at Alex and SUPPOSEDLY fake an attack for monetary gain. This cousin would benefit greatly from killing Alex if Alex had knowledge of his involvement in crimes. Perhaps Alex never ordered the hit in himself? Perhaps Alex mentioning a pay off to Eddie is the clue we need to where some of the money was going years before?

Where was this cousin when Maggie and Paul were killed with not 1, but 2 different guns? Where was this cousin when the nanny was murdered (curiously Maggie and Paul who found the nanny would be killed later)?

Where was the cousin when Stephen was killed?

You don’t just start your killing career with shooting at Alex for money. I think Eddie did some dirty work for the Murdaughs before then. If so then this may mean that Buster and Paul had nothing to do with Stephen’s murder, but instead a hit man. Was this cousin the person being paid out for hit dirty work starting in 2015 with the murder of Stephen?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back