Identified! AR - El Dorado, Whitehall Motel, WhtFem 18-21, 81UFAR, Jul'91 - #3 - Kelly from VA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Estella Mae married a Wood twice. I read the information & seen the photos back in this thread.
I honestly can't figure out how the "Carr" surname is attached to the Blevins families yet, if it actually is.
My own musings

They were cousins of these sisters. Their aunt was married into the Carr family.
I would like to see a picture of this aunt but I don't know if that's possible.

Can anyone share EDJD's dna profile or her second cousin's (with her permission) so I can work in the matches trees on Ancestry? My username on there is hollandbranch. If someone has any dna profile that is related to her and wants to share it to me, I would really appreciate that. I do bio family searches and genetic genealogy in my spare time and I am open right now. I do see a handful of people already have built trees on there. I did ask her cousin, but, haven't heard back. I am working on an EDJD tree, but, I am used to having the matches to play with along with it. Also, does anyone know who does the update the soonest on this case so I know when to stop trying?

My suspicion is that EDJD is not on any missing persons list and that she had a pretty bad family life that lead her down the path she took. It's just a guess, and there are always exceptions.

I've always kind of felt the same. No one is looking for her. There are two possible reasons, she was alone to begin with foster system, etc, or she was presumed dead a lot earlier than she actually did end up dead.

I've always kind of felt the same. No one is looking for her. There are two possible reasons, she was alone to begin with foster system, etc, or she was presumed dead a lot earlier than she actually did end up dead.

I can see this. It would be so easy for someone living a high-risk lifestyle like her to be assumed dead years before she was ("Oh, she probably just overdosed, they'll find her in a ditch somewhere by next month..." "She probably got beaten to death by her pimp," etc) because she just vanished. Especially if her kids were in foster care or adopted out and nobody in her family was looking for her thinking someone would just find her dead and throw her into a potter's grave, having no clue she was living "on the fringes of society" the whole time (until she died). Or to just be forgotten about. :( It's a sad situation any way you slice it.

Can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I used to run a website for EDJD, later moved to wix, which is the site Dave Lohr is referencing in one article. You can't access it anymore since Flash was disabled.

Anyway, I was in contact with one of McAlphin's relatives back then, maybe his ex or his sister, she had met EDJD and described her as "very nice, but very shy."
Maybe that is why no one remembers her from school/ growing up with her.

DNA Just Led To Major Break In Murder Case That's Stumped Police For 27 Years

At the time of the killing, authorities found a number of her personal belongings, including menus from restaurants in Texas and Virginia; diary entries in which she refers to “Tyrone” and “Gail”; and a Bible inscribed with family members with the last name Stroud. Detectives followed up on it all.

El Dorado police also found friends and law enforcement agencies that knew her by names other than Mercedes, including Cheryl Wick, Cheryl Kaufman, Shannon Wiley, Sharon Wiley, Kelly Lee Carr and Kelly Karr.

I recall reading somewhere that they tracked the Cheryl Ann Wick identity to an actual person they tracked down somewhere in MN. Eldorado Jane Doe: An Enduring Arkansas Mystery Begs To Be Solved

With McAlphin not talking, authorities turned to Mercedes' personal belongings. They found a Social Security card and an identification card for Cheryl Ann Wick. The identification card had a photo of Mercedes. Investigators traced Wick's family to Minneapolis and placed a call to her parents.

"My sister lived at home and she called me up crying," the real Cheryl Wick told HuffPost. "The police told my parents that I had gotten murdered and I was like, 'No, I'm fine.'"

Cheryl Wick said she never met Mercedes and believes Mercedes stole her cards from her purse when Wick was working as a dancer for a Minneapolis company called Party Time.

"At that time, I used to carry a lot of my stuff in my wallet," Wick said. "When you're a dancer on stage, people can have access to your stuff. I never noticed it missing until the police called me. If I knew anything I would help, but unfortunately I don't recognize her."

Am I the only person who thinks the real Cheryl's statement is a little shifty? How do you not notice your ID and SS card missing? It's not like she had just taken them a week before.

Am I the only person who thinks the real Cheryl's statement is a little shifty? How do you not notice your ID and SS card missing? It's not like she had just taken them a week before.

Yeah, I was always confused by that too.

With McAlphin not talking, authorities turned to Mercedes' personal belongings. They found a Social Security card and an identification card for Cheryl Ann Wick. The identification card had a photo of Mercedes. Investigators traced Wick's family to Minneapolis and placed a call to her parents.

RBBM
I don't find the real Cheryl's statement odd at all.

The phrasing in the article is a little awkward but to me it reads the police found an identification card with Mercedes picture and Cheryl Ann Wick's name. When I was 18 I was able to get a "replacement driver's license" with no type of documentation at all. The license was my photo with my cousin's name and information. This was in the 80's.

As for missing the social security card, I wouldn't notice it until I had to actually present it to someone. Even now, how many times a year do you have to present your SS card And if I couldn't find it, I would have thought I misplaced it.

With a picture ID and a social security card EDJD would have "legitimate" documentation to open accounts, work, apply for governmental assistance,etc. With those two documents she could get whatever she needed.

Last edited:
RBBM
I don't find the real Cheryl's statement odd at all.

The phrasing in the article is a little awkward but to me it reads the police found an identification card with Mercedes picture and Cheryl Ann Wick's name. When I was 18 I was able to get a "replacement driver's license" with no type of documentation at all. The license was my photo with my cousin's name and information. This was in the 80's.

As for missing the social security card, I wouldn't notice it until I had to actually present it to someone. Even now, how many times a year do you have to present your SS card And if I couldn't find it, I would have thought I misplaced it.

With a picture ID and a social security card EDJD would have "legitimate" documentation to open accounts, work, apply for governmental assistance,etc. With those two documents she could get whatever she needed.

ElDo (locals refer to it as such) Jane Doe died in 1991. I remember using my SS card a lot more in the late 80s/early 90s than I have in the last 20 years. I didn't really need it for anything until I turned 16 and started working but it was an acceptable form of secondary ID back then. It's been in a fire safe for the better part of a decade untouched now, though.

I smoked in the 90s, I'd be willing to bet both of these ladies did as well. I got carded anytime I went somewhere I didn't normally stop. The ATF was cracking down on tobacco sales to minors and the fines were nuts. If you smoked, you knew where your ID was.

It's just weird to me.

Can anyone share EDJD's dna profile or her second cousin's (with her permission) so I can work in the matches trees on Ancestry? My username on there is hollandbranch. If someone has any dna profile that is related to her and wants to share it to me, I would really appreciate that. I do bio family searches and genetic genealogy in my spare time and I am open right now. I do see a handful of people already have built trees on there. I did ask her cousin, but, haven't heard back. I am working on an EDJD tree, but, I am used to having the matches to play with along with it. Also, does anyone know who does the update the soonest on this case so I know when to stop trying?
I do a little genealogy also, but I don't think that LE will allow anyone to have her results , I would love to work on a tree for her.
Sadly, it looks like another year will pass with us not knowing who Mercedes actually is, and what led up to her nomadic life , after she fell out of the sky one day in Dallas, Texas arrested in 1990?

I really think it must be the B family... Could the grandson who took the test be adopted or something? Or trying to hide something and the DNA maybe wasn't his? Don't like making accusations like that but I really just couldn't accept that she is not related to that family tbh she looks like all of them, especially the one who would be her grandad MOO
Possibly check all the Decendants of the Blevins, just in case a Wood brother "dated" a Blevins sister?
Are we assuming that Mercedes was born in the 1960's - 1970's timeframes?

Possibly check all the Decendants of the Blevins, just in case a Wood brother "dated" a Blevins sister?
Are we assuming that Mercedes was born in the 1960's - 1970's timeframes?
I'd say so, yea. The thing is with that, if there was any familial match for a Blevins, it should have shown up :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire