Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Is there any actual evidence to suggest a hate crime?

As far as I know, there are no MSM reports of any interaction between JD and other people on the day of his disappearance other than purchasing a coffee and purchasing weed. Were he to have been abducted, this would have needed to occur in the brief interval between leaving the dispensary and entering the nearby highway when his phone disappeared. This is a very narrow time frame and would require an attack immediately after leaving the dispensary.

It is hard to believe that his phone records and computer records have yielded nothing. I wonder if there is actual information on these devices that doesn't fit the promoted narrative.

Unfortunately, discussion of this case is leading in a political direction not conducive to objective discussion.

As far as I know, there are no MSM reports of any interaction between JD and other people on the day of his disappearance other than purchasing a coffee and purchasing weed. Were he to have been abducted, this would have needed to occur in the brief interval between leaving the dispensary and entering the nearby highway when his phone disappeared. This is a very narrow time frame and would require an attack immediately after leaving the dispensary.

It is hard to believe that his phone records and computer records have yielded nothing. I wonder if there is actual information on these devices that doesn't fit the promoted narrative.

Unfortunately, discussion of this case is leading in a political direction not conducive to objective discussion.

There is no evidence, that I am aware of, to suggest a crime occurred...much less a hate crime.

IMO, there is evidence to suggest that Jelani was struggling.
However, that is not being made public due to privacy regulations.

Just My Opinion.

IMHO, I am still waiting to see evidence of foul play. IMHO Jelani died by suicide.

I wanted to share a story from my own past, as a college freshman (undergrad) that tried (and failed) to get a spot in an extremely competitive program at my school. I cannot express how devastated I was when I found out I didn't get in. I had already told my teachers, friends and family what my career path was. Now I would have to go back and admit I failed (in my young mind I felt like a failure). I felt I was a disappointment to everyone who worked so hard to support me. I truly thought my life was over.

I believe Jelani may have felt this way. He had only been accepted to his safety school. That alone would be a big stressor because it feels like your last chance to succeed. And now if he received two "C" grades, he would instantly get booted out of the speech pathology grad program. Lots of pressure.

When he left the dispensary, I believe Jelani may have just started driving north with no real plan in place. If he was looking for a body of water, he knew Peoria or other locations would be closer than Peru. He consciously avoided I55 toward Chicago where he knew a cousin who lived there. I believe he was trying to avoid anyone who knew him. I think he was purposefully trying to disappear, and Peru is the first major river crossing he happened upon going north.
MOO

^^bbm

Respectfully, having followed this thread since the beginning -- I don't think there's any intention of discussions leading in a political direction on this thread.

The only current activity on this case is MSM headlines involving CBD and/or Attorney Ben Crump-- citing allegations of a "federal hate crime."

To be clear, allegations of a hate crime have come from these individuals alone and did not originate here. To my knowledge, they've not offered any evidence to support the allegations as of this date

Nonetheless, I find it completely appropriate to discuss the definition of a federal hate crime and how it's typically carried out by the plaintiffs. MOO

[URL='https://twitter.com/AttorneyCrump']Ben Crump@AttorneyCrump
[/URL]
This summer, Jelani Day went missing. Weeks later, his lifeless body was found in the Illinois River. Many claim that this was a suicide, but that DOESN'T add up!! We need the FBI to perform a thorough investigation into Jelani's death as a federal hate crime!
9:36 AM · Dec 4, 2021

Questions remain in Jelani Day's death. Lawyer Ben Crump calls on FBI to intervene

Family of Jelani Day hires Attorney Ben Crump; calls on FBI to investigate case as federal hate crime

Jelani Day Update: ISU student's family attorney Ben Crump calls for FBI hate crime investigation

At first I thought it might be indicative of a bad state of mind when I read that he switched off his phone after leaving but if the mother was able to check his ‘pings’ I wonder if that means she had access to a family tracking app or similar. If so, I could perhaps understand him switching it off for privacy purposes. If he was going somewhere that he didn’t want to have to explain or justify.

There’s a great big void where information about his lifestyle usually is in cases of this type and I think that’s somewhat deliberate on the part of CBD and maybe also his friends. That information might help provide context for both a self-harm or a harm by others scenario though.

I’m struggling with this one but I can see just as many potential reasons to think it’s self-harm as I can to believe it might be something involving foul play. I can see why he might not have felt able to discuss personal difficulties. There’s a strangely angry response to any suggestion that he could have had reasons to be experiencing poor mental health. I know CBD is adamant she knew everything about his life but I wonder how true that actually is. Young people often have many many secrets.

Oh, and his clothing. If the clothes he was wearing were in the car, and other clothing was found nearby, when, where and why did he change again after the dispensary visit?

I don't think Jelani made any plans that day to see anyone. Jelani's mother had the ability to check for the last ping on his phone. It is not specific enough to show if he had gone into a specific business, but it was quickly found to be the dispensary. It's not been disclosed if she also knew everywhere he had been that morning, besides the campus. She asked for the records from the cellphone, and she got them a few days before they told her she would. I only saw one interview where she said anything about the records, a reporter asked her if she got them , she said yes, the reporter asked if there was any information and CBD just shook her head no and mumbled no, there wasn't anything. If Jelani had been meeting with people, arranging things, etc., it would be in his cellphone. His mother, and the police by now, have access to everything in the phone. The family also has his laptop. If there was text or phone calls they couldn't account for, I think the family would have made sure it was investigated. Also, his car model came with GPS. I'd think that had been accessed.
GPS can be turned off. Secondly, maybe the mother knows who he associated with so she has a concern about that, plus if he was doing something his family may have not liked he wouldn't leave a digital trail, perhaps that's why his phone was turned off when it was. All moo. Imo taking MJ has effects on the brain that a person may want but from a religious perspective that's in opposition so its possible he didn't want to leave a digital trail. IMO it could have negative implications to not let tursted family and loved ones/friends know about where one is going at least.

I think there is a valid reason for businesses and the community in general for not wanting to deal with the family directly. <modsnip>
I do kind of see what she says about the CCTV footage that LE has of Jelani's travels that day. Faces could be blurred out so no else can be identified. That way there would be a timeline of where he was at what time and it could point to what happened. Was it a suicide or was it something else? A psychotic episode due to a physical reaction by his body or could it be murder? At least people could question what was happening in the footage, where he went, what time he went etc. I wonder why other than the obvious fact that his family is upset and making others upset at the same time. But, IMO it would be a positive community interaction as long as they blur out anything that should be blurred. If they think its suicide then what's wrong with releasing this? Then there is no diservice to the investigation because it has been concluded with the help of the CCTV footage of his travels. I suppose from LE's perspective that releasing the blurred footage would be invading Jelani's privacy and its none of anyone else's business. I agree with LE on that point. But then part of the community is upset, so perhaps that's what's happening behind the scenes. Does LE think something nefarious happened and don't want to jeapodize a future prosecution? And they have an issue with all of the negativity on social media? IMO all of these things could be factors in releasing or not releasing.

There wasn’t anything? I find that odd.

There was nothing on his phone to give a clue? No texts or phone calls incoming/outgoing/missed from anyone?
No calendar reminder of his meeting that morning? No internet searches?
Or had things been deleted?

I thought his phone would have provided information helpful to the investigation.

JMO
I agree especially for the things that his family would approve. He should've had a digital trail for that IMO. Maybe not the things his family would not approve (digital trail.)

Watch now: Jelani Day family criticizes Bloomington police

We have had over 100 days, including a Christmas, a New Year, and two siblings birthdays pass without any clarity, sense of understanding, compassion or help," said Seve Day, older brother of Jelani Day. "We are here today to call out the lackluster and piss-poor behavior and disrespect we have experienced during this time.

"We want the FBI to take over the case and this hate crime against my brother so my family does not have to go through another holiday, birthday, week, month, date, without closure," he said.
I think it was in the beginning of the video but his mother says "Those who enabled him!" What does she mean by that. Did I hear that correctly? I really wonder what she meant by that? In my mind that means one thing and perhaps she is talking about MJ. She knew he had money at his disposal to buy what he wanted. From religious person's perspective MJ is not the right thing to do. So is she saying someone or people influenced him to do so? I'm sure she realizes that MJ is mider than hard drugs so as an adult he's doing what he wants by purchasing MJ or edibles. IMO that's what she's referring to. Is she trying to say she suspects someone spiked him with more than what he had that day? I realize that came out of the blue but if one listen's to what she maybe trying to say between the lines I wonder if she means that. Perhaps she doesn't want to make him look a certain way as his mother but is pointing out something. She should be specific IMO.

GPS can be turned off. Secondly, maybe the mother knows who he associated with so she has a concern about that, plus if he was doing something his family may have not liked he wouldn't leave a digital trail, perhaps that's why his phone was turned off when it was. All moo. Imo taking MJ has effects on the brain that a person may want but from a religious perspective that's in opposition so its possible he didn't want to leave a digital trail. IMO it could have negative implications to not let tursted family and loved ones/friends know about where one is going at least.

Factory-installed GPS would have to be disabled, and maybe paranoia led him to do that, but if it's disabled, that would be more evidence that he intentionally disappeared. If it's not disabled, it has so much information. My point is the mother has lots of information from the phone data, the car used to be his grandfather's, there could be data available without having access to the car. I could see the mother thinking it was evidence of foul play if the GPS was disabled. She is not going to share anything that doesn't show her son in a good light. Jelani's family lives an hour and a half away, I don't think he was concerned about anyone checking on his movements, he had his phone on at the dispensary. He drove around a lot, as others have posted.

Dec 15, 2021-- Illinois State Grad Jelani Day, Unexplained Death! | Profiling Evil

Mike King and Court TV's -- Vinnie P. look at the case. I agree with Mike, we need some behavioral information here and unfortunately, this is something that's never been available.

MimosaMornings said:
There wasn’t anything? I find that odd.

I agree especially for the things that his family would approve. He should've had a digital trail for that IMO. Maybe not the things his family would not approve (digital trail.)

I want to be clear, when I quoted CBD in regards to the phone data, she didn't say they weren't any text messages or phone calls, etc., or that information was missing, she just answered "no" when the reporter asked if they found anything to help with the investigation (I am paraphrasing) in the phone records. Also, after Jelani was reported missing, they were given the time and location of the last ping. The family did not have access to his phone data until after the carrier's waiting period.

JD did not simply turn off GPS on his phone. The phone was thrown from the vehicle. He (or a hypothetical bad guy) would have had no intention of returning by doing that. On the other hand, he apparently took care of preserving the car, which apparently meant a lot to him.

My gut feeling is that he meant to "disappear", but protected his grandfather's car. If he was somehow abducted, I doubt an abductor would have taken the same care of the car and likely burned it or dumped it far from the river. Instead the car was left somewhere out of site, but in an area where it definitely would have been found.

There’s a great big void where information about his lifestyle usually is in cases of this type and I think that’s somewhat deliberate on the part of CBD and maybe also his friends. That information might help provide context for both a self-harm or a harm by others scenario though.

I’m struggling with this one but I can see just as many potential reasons to think it’s self-harm as I can to believe it might be something involving foul play. I can see why he might not have felt able to discuss personal difficulties. There’s a strangely angry response to any suggestion that he could have had reasons to be experiencing poor mental health. I know CBD is adamant she knew everything about his life but I wonder how true that actually is. Young people often have many many secrets.
^^bbm

Initially, the headlines of Jelani's disappearance were very convincing that he was was possibly abducted and the victim of foul play (and where the family have planted their heels and refuses to budge). But months later, after the surveillance, recovery/impound of the vehicle, body, autopsy, phone, ISU calendar, etc., my list of unanswered questions are more behavioral than criminal.

We learned Jelani abruptly abandoned campus on Tuesday with a full schedule ahead of him, coinciding with a critical week as far as his ISU program deadlines, and drove to legally purchase cannabis. While I find nothing odd about his purchase, it's the timing of that activity that seems completely off!

We also learned that JD traveled to Chicago that weekend to visit his seriously ill father at the hospital-- receiving another traffic citation (and given his record, one he really couldn't afford).

Although JD was known to be in contact with is mother numerous times per day, he'd not talked to her since Sunday, opting only to leave her a voice message on Monday that I personally found a bit cryptic (only wanted to hear her voice).

Looking at the limited behavioral information available -- I see a man that returned from visiting sick father (JD a reported match for marrow donor), failed to attend his classes, and later made an appearance on campus-- only to leave minutes later to buy weed. I don't think Jelani was thinking about being a donor at that moment, not thinking about his masters program or becoming a doctor, and not thinking about making contact with his family. I think his mind was elsewhere. And if JD was later the victim of foul play-- it still doesn't change any of the earlier behavior before his demise.

Acknowledging that LE/FBI have much more information than we do, I'm not surprised that FBI is talking about self-harm. I'll continue to say-- answer the question what caused Jelani to leave campus abruptly Tuesday morning and it will lead us to the answer on how Jelani ended up in the Illinois River.

MOO

Another question I have is about his actual death. It has to be quite difficult to drown yourself in that type of environment, so if he did decide to take his own life, how do you think he might have achieved that?

Another question I have is about his actual death. It has to be quite difficult to drown yourself in that type of environment, so if he did decide to take his own life, how do you think he might have achieved that?

Imo, he swam until he was exhausted, had a cramp and/or was caught up in a dangerous current.
Locals have previously posted the river has very dangerous currents, especially in the area near where he was found.
Multiple drownings have occurred in the river near Peru.

Imo, he swam until he was exhausted, had a cramp and/or was caught up in a dangerous current.
Locals have previously posted the river has very dangerous currents, especially in the area near where he was found.
Multiple drownings have occurred in the river near Peru.

Right, I see. Thanks.

In which case, why would he have a sweatshirt around his waist?

He was wearing the tank top and sweatshirt in the car when he was driving and running the AC.
When he left the car he took the sweatshirt off because it was hot that day.
He tied the sweatshirt around his waist.
IIRC his shorts and shoes have never been found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back