Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted the guidelines from NIH on the previous thread. It is a tier system, highest priority to unvaccinated, by age, placing the scale vaccinated on the lower end for treatment. Much has been posted on this and last thread about this. Additional a component for ethnicity and a few other factors.

My 80ish neighbor fully vaccinated is in ICU can't get monoclonal antibodies but three prisoners, unvaccinated from the local jail did. The daughter watched this unfold, they were a higher priority set by the government.

Moo

Thanks for all this info, Simply Southern. Do you mind sharing the tier standards again?

Thank you!!! This is an OUTPATIENT guide, not in patient. I keep hearing about a point system. Could the Risk Ratio (RR) be where the points are coming from.

It also refers to the NIH guide which again.

Right. We were talking about monoclonal antibodies which are given only to outpatients, except under certain circumstances AFAIK.

I don’t understand this. Monoclonal antibodies aren’t for hospitalized patients. It’s to prevent hospitalization. Nobody would be getting it in ICU as far as I know, not even prisoners. Something got lost in translation from your neighbor’s daughter IMO. Perhaps it was Remdesivir (antiviral) or Dexamethasone, both of which I received when hospitalized with covid almost a year ago. I’m not sure if they are still being used though.
The NHS still shows it as a therapy for
Covid-19
Intravenous remdesivir is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized adult and pediatric patients (aged ≥12 years and weighing ≥40 kg).
Data on the safety and efficacy of using remdesivir in combination with corticosteroids are primarily derived from observational studies, with some (but not all) of these studies suggesting that remdesivir plus dexamethasone provides a clinical benefit for patients with COVID-19.3-5 Remdesivir plus dexamethasone has not been directly compared to dexamethasone alone in a large randomized trial. However, there are theoretical reasons that combination therapy may be beneficial for some patients with severe COVID-19.
https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/antiviral-therapy/remdesivir/

If you want to continue to receive monoclonal antibody, the contact with HHS and NIH have control. Yeap, so might be deceitful but risk being dominated from any government program, fines, penalty. Its come a with pages and pages of strings.

You can't give what you don't have.

Here's a great link answers almost all questions.

COVID-19 RESOURCES FOR HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS

I just noticed that the small print said that this web page is no longer being updated and we should go here…(the last link is the one I posted for outpatient treatment awhile ago)…

THIS WEBSITE IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED. FOR THE LATEST UPDATES ON COVID-19, INCLUDING VACCINES AND TREATMENTS, PLEASE VISIT WWW.CDC.GOV/CORONAVIRUS. HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS, PLEASE VISIT WWW.PHE.GOV/EMERGENCY/EVENTS/COVID19/PAGES/DEFAULT.ASPX AND WWW.COVID19TREATMENTGUIDELINES.NIH.GOV.

The NHS still shows it as a therapy for
Covid-19
Intravenous remdesivir is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized adult and pediatric patients (aged ≥12 years and weighing ≥40 kg).
Data on the safety and efficacy of using remdesivir in combination with corticosteroids are primarily derived from observational studies, with some (but not all) of these studies suggesting that remdesivir plus dexamethasone provides a clinical benefit for patients with COVID-19.3-5 Remdesivir plus dexamethasone has not been directly compared to dexamethasone alone in a large randomized trial. However, there are theoretical reasons that combination therapy may be beneficial for some patients with severe COVID-19.
https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/antiviral-therapy/remdesivir/

Thanks for confirming that Remdesivir and Dexamethasone are still being used in hospitals. I felt much better while receiving them. :)

Intersting study at U of Minnesota regarding exposure time and mask efficacy.

Masks back on: But this time, colleges are demanding KN95 and above |

According to the study done by University of Minnesota researchers, it takes around 20 minutes before a person with a cloth mask can be infected by another person not wearing a mask. That time jumps to two and half hours for those properly wearing N95 masks or similar alternatives. <snipped> Surgical masks don’t offer much more protection—10 minutes more—than cloth, according to the UM study.
I wish they'd specify the types of cloth masks. No doubt single layer jersey ones are totally worthless. But I still feel like my 3 layer cloth mask with additional filter and nose wire is more protective than a surgical mask alone. I know it's not as good as an N-95 but I would bet real money, as I daily bet my life, that they are superior to the surgical mask which almost never seems to fit anyone snuggly.

I don’t understand this. Monoclonal antibodies aren’t for hospitalized patients. It’s to prevent hospitalization. Nobody would be getting it in ICU as far as I know, not even prisoners. Something got lost in translation from your neighbor’s daughter IMO. Perhaps it was Remdesivir (antiviral) or Dexamethasone, both of which I received when hospitalized with covid almost a year ago. I’m not sure if they are still being used though.
I think both dexamethasone and remdesivir are still being used in hospitalized patients, JMO.

ETA, I posted before I had seen the reply above.

Hopefully this is game, set, and match. This is the decision of a panel of 3 Federal Court judges.

Novak Djokovic has failed his last-ditch effort at the Australian Federal Court to overturn his visa cancellation and is set to be deported.

The unanimous decision of the court leaves almost no pathway for Djokovic’s legal team to appeal the decision.

He will miss the Australian Open, which starts on Monday, and is likely to be deported from Australia on Sunday night.

Djokovic was also ordered to pay costs for the last-minute legal challenge, after the Australian government was forced to foot the bill for the tennis star’s high-profile legal team in the earlier case

OUT: Djokovic fails last-ditch court hearing, set to be deported and miss Aus Open

Hopefully this is game, set, and match. This is the decision of a panel of 3 Federal Court judges.

Novak Djokovic has failed his last-ditch effort at the Australian Federal Court to overturn his visa cancellation and is set to be deported.

The unanimous decision of the court leaves almost no pathway for Djokovic’s legal team to appeal the decision.

He will miss the Australian Open, which starts on Monday, and is likely to be deported from Australia on Sunday night.

Djokovic was also ordered to pay costs for the last-minute legal challenge, after the Australian government was forced to foot the bill for the tennis star’s high-profile legal team in the earlier case

OUT: Djokovic fails last-ditch court hearing, set to be deported and miss Aus Open

I will believe it when his butt is actually and finally out of Australia--he is a nasty
piecebof work!!!!

An inability to understand numbers may be why COVID continues to spread

Question 1

A virus is circulating. The number of infections in a month rises 25 percent from January to February, then drops 25 percent from February to March. Is the number of infections in March (a) larger than the number in January, (b) smaller than in January, or (c) the same as in January?

Question 2

Two viruses are circulating, Epsilon and Upsilon. Epsilon’s case fatality rate is twice as high as Upsilon’s, but Upsilon is twice as transmissible. Other things being equal, which virus will kill more people: (a) Epsilon, (b) Upsilon, or (c) no difference?

Question 3

Jamie and Lauren are both vaccinated against a virus. The vaccine is 90 percent effective. Jamie lives in a community where 80 percent of residents are vaccinated, while in Lauren’s similarly sized community only 40 percent are vaccinated. Who is more likely to become infected: (a) Jamie, (b) Lauren, or (c) no difference?

Question 1 answer is B

The decrease more than offsets the increase because it is 25 percent of a larger number.

Question 2 answer is B

The effect of an increase in the fatality rate is linear, while the effect of an increase in transmissibility grows exponentially over time. In the long run, Upsilon will infect more than twice as many people as Epsilon and therefore will result in more deaths, notwithstanding Epsilon’s higher fatality rate.

This is what has made COVID-19 so insidious all along: its low fatality rate bamboozles people into thinking that drastic, life-altering measures of control are unwarranted, even as hospitalizations and deaths skyrocket as a consequence of the uncontrolled transmission.

Question 3 answer is B

The virus will spread more freely in the less-vaccinated community, so Lauren is more likely to be exposed than Jamie. As long as the vaccine is less than 100 percent effective, Lauren is therefore more likely to be infected. This is why unvaccinated people are, in a statistical sense, a menace to society.

Last edited:
Well, that leaves me out.

Millions of Tricare Beneficiaries Left Out of COVID-19 Test Reimbursement Plan

The Biden administration's plan to cover the cost of home COVID-19 tests does not apply to Tricare beneficiaries.

Beginning Saturday, private and group health insurers will be required to reimburse the cost of eight take-home COVID tests per month under an initiative announced by President Joe Biden on Jan. 10.

But as a federal health program, Tricare's nearly 8 million beneficiaries who aren't on active duty will not have the same access, although the military health system is reviewing its policies, according to a Defense Health Agency spokesman.

Under Tricare, tests are covered only when ordered by a doctor for patients with symptoms; who have had prolonged exposure but no symptoms; are having surgery; or are overseas and need to be tested.

All other reasons -- personal concern, workplace safety, returning to work or school, travel or access to services -- are not covered.

According to an article from the Nebraska Medicine, mask materials that have high filtering efficiency in theory work best in combating the omicron surge, but fit is especially important.

Several studies have found that a multi-layer cloth mask can have effective filtration efficiency that is just as high as KN95s or other high-filtration masks, according to the article

Cloth, KN95 or N95 Masks? Chicago's Top Doctor Explains Which Best Protects From Omicron

I'm still going to use my 3 layer plus filter masks for every day use and KN95s for crowded situations. I can't stand having the KN95 on all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member