Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D BARE working on that pretend wall job with no tools to actually do the work, that day on a weekend which is prohibited by State Laws, does throw his need for a hotel room into the realm of improbability.

But hey, self-admitted cheapskate BARE was just renting a room, chillin out, relaxin and watchin some sports right? :rolleyes:

MOO

Well and with the thought of one of his employees using the room after he hung out in all day churns my stomach. I wonder if had room service clean before the employee got into the room.

Well and with the thought of one of his employees using the room after he hung out in all day churns my stomach. I wonder if had room service clean before the employee got into the room.

Nope.

He left wet towels and an ill-made bed.

JMO

Suzanne Morphew's husband left cheap Denver hotel room reeking of chlorine, littered with insurance letters, co-worker claims

‘I’m not the other woman’: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

I know the partial DNA match on the glove box of SM's SUV has been beat up pretty good but had another thought :
*Chaffee county must have a sexual predator from AZ lurking about getting into cars that are parked in the garage. Wouldn't that be a news worthy story in a small town?
*What if (IMO) - The partial match is actually from antics BM did while in AZ hunting, or one of his hunting buddies.

Why did he need a hotel room?

Did he request early check in? Covid rules, probably low occupancy so many they let him check in early.

He was the self-titled cheapskate -- he was the boss and the bankroller. Why didn't he request a less pungent room? Unless maybe it wasn't pungent when he first entered it.

JMO

Last edited:
I spent a couple of hours this morning really looking at the Defense Exhibits.

I found it interesting that Suzanne and her dad GM called BARE on that Friday. I wonder if GM called wanting the loan repaid, which in turn lead to the big blow up on Saturday when Suzanne told him point blank about JL, he owed GM the $$$ and she wanted her inheritance to move forward on her own.

From the timelines, I think he tranq'd her shortly on Sat after arriving home at 2:43 after this fight, cleaned up and killed/disposed of her between the 4ish pm - 9 ish pm that the parking lights, door openings, etc. activity logs show. Perhaps this was when he staged the bike also, forgetting her helmet.

I think he spent early Sunday morning throwing her helmet out from the truck and then disposing of incriminating items on his infamous 'trash runs' on his way to HIE.

I think BARE's love of money was the main trigger then finding out about JL and Suzanne and her leaving with her inheritance was the final, fatal straw. :(

MOO

ETA: Please feel free to poke holes in my theory. :D

Last edited:
One letter in the waste basket that the subcontractor turned over to LE, yes to wet towels, yes to chlorine smell and a bed that looked as if someone had laid on top of it is what the employee said when interviewed by Lauren. Gotta love the sensational "cheap", "reeking", "littered"...oh my gosh. I don't even want to click and see who this outlet is :-(

Laundering Sheets. Plans for Sun Overnight Stay?
From a post by @Cindizzi:
AA page 6 Law enforcement interviews with the daughters on May 11.
MM2 says there were no plans for MM1 and her friend to stay the night at Puma Path on Sunday May 10
."

@Cindizzi bbm Thanks for your post, prompting me to wonder whether SM and daughters had somehow crossed wires re the issue MM1 & friend spending the night.
Did SM misunderstand a stmt MM1 made about planning to spend the night? SM noted launder sheets on her to-do list and apparently did that.
If no indication re MM 1 & friend planning to spend the night, did SM think presence of guest w MM1 would encourage BM to be civil & hope she could persuade MM 1 & friend to stay, so she made a note on to-do list about sheets?

Or had MM1 originally told SM her friend would stay at PP, but during camping trip, MM2 told her about tension & arguments at PP, then MM1 back pedaled?

Re Sun, did MM1 tell SM we'll stay, tell MM2, won't stay?
Or did MM1 & MM2 misunderstand each other?

On May 11 MM2 told LE directly about no plans for MM1 & friend to stay the night at PP. No plans as of when? Before trip started? Sometime during the trip, but after SM already made note about sheets?

Just possibilities, not saying any of them is likely. my2ct
EBM: a few places for clarity.
I hesitate to mention personal anecdotes but thought about this. During years at college a couple hours drive from hometown, I recall telling my parents --- Coming back for the weekend, see you mid-Sat. afternoon.
But not telling them of plans to arrive in hometown Friday afternoon and spend the first night elsewhere in hometown.

Something similar may or may not have happened w MM1 & friend. Perhaps she/they planned to stay in Salida area Sun. night, but not at PP? Again, just a hypothetical, not saying it's likely.

@al66pine, Think back to age 21 - 22 and the power of Mom's guilt. Especially on Mom Special Days (Her birthday, Mother's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas). The guilt flows in waves and you capitulate or risk whatever her version of wrath is.

I found it interesting that Suzanne and her dad GM called BARE on that Friday. I wonder if GM called wanting the loan repaid, which in turn lead to the big blow up on Saturday when Suzanne told him point blank about JL, he owed GM the $$$ and she wanted her inheritance to move forward on her own.

From the timelines, I think he tranq'd her shortly on Sat after arriving home at 2:43 after this fight, cleaned up and killed/disposed of her between the 4ish pm - 9 ish pm that the parking lights, door openings, etc. activity logs show. Perhaps this was when he staged the bike also, forgetting her helmet.

I think he spent early Sunday morning throwing her helmet out from the truck and then disposing of incriminating items on his infamous 'trash runs' on his way to HIE.

I think BARE's love of money was the main trigger then finding out about JL and Suzanne and her leaving with her inheritance was the final, fatal straw. :(

MOO

Are you talking about Barry? I thought it was said that he repaid GM loan early? But I really don't think some of that history will be used at trial anyway. I think the telematics on things happening with the truck late at night is very interesting and especially that the truck didn't go anywhere according to the telematics in the middle of the night. I'm in the camp that the 95 feet was maneuvering to get the Bob cat off the truck bed.

Are you talking about Barry? I thought it was said that he repaid GM loan early? But I really don't think some of that history will be used at trial anyway. I think the telematics on things happening with the truck late at night is very interesting and especially that the truck didn't go anywhere according to the telematics in the middle of the night. I'm in the camp that the 95 feet was maneuvering to get the Bob cat off the truck bed.
I'm not sure about the Morman loan being repaid early, someone here can probably answer that for sure.

IIRC, didn't BARE do a hard reset to the telematics in the late afternoon on Saturday? Again, someone probably can answer that for certain.

He didn't have to use his truck to dispose of Suzanne.

JMO

In any case, I've never been able to square the geography of the land with Barry's theory of Suzanne "we thought maybe she wrecked, coming down this hill" (motions with hand from direction of highway 50) "car coming round the corner fast" (motions with hand in direction of car turning uphill from the bridge) - video by Tyson. If Suzanne was coming down the hill she would not have been riding on that side of the road. Unfortunately for Barry the steep slope available for staging the bike in a hard-brake-skidding off the side scenario was on the wrong side of the road.

IMO

So, he lies to TD right out of the gate. And note what he says, "so we've searched a 200 mile radius ... all of the mountains have been covered "

Well, Bar, no they haven't. None of the mountains were searched.

This is the first time I've watched this with the sound on. The other day we were talking about Barry's folksy diction to the LE interviewers, it doesn't really exist in the TD video. He says 'seen' instead of 'saw' but that seems to be a common choice among certain groups. Otherwise, he sounds like my Bloomington, IN cousins.

^^rsbm
Yes, I recall MBM confirming the loan was repaid early versus SM/BM sign a promissory note. MBM explained her older brother was upset upon learning there was no formal loan agreement between GM and SM/BM, and she suggested he write SM a letter. BM also eluded to this when he told Agent Grusing he probably called GM to confirm he'd told his kids son the loan was paid.

Last edited:

MOO

You're backwards on the call. Barry called GM.

SA Grusing showed Barry a document with three calls from him to Gene Moorman on May 8th and 9th, explaining those were the only calls to Gene in Barry’s phone logs. Barry said, “Gene and I would always talk,” and SA Grusing replied these were the only calls on his phone. He replied, “To Gene? Well, Gene and I talked quite a bit. Well, here’s the deal, usually, it’s him calling me.”

Agents explained the last call happened on the way back from Moonlight Pizza on Friday, May 8th. Barry said he thinks that call was him telling Gene to tell his son that all the money was paid back.

Barry's phone ratted him out for the bike staging.

PH:
Q Lindsey: What happened?

A Grusing: You have driver doors opening and closing. It’s in the same location at the edge of their driveway from 3:25 until 3:52 am.

Q Lindsey: So 3:58 to 4:07 am what’s going on with Mr. Morphews phone?

A Grusing: So if — when I plotted the activity because it showed it away from the resident it showed almost a straight line of it moving from his residence up to where 225 intersects 50. It’s close to the area of where the bike was recovered.

However, when I ran that past our cell phone experts he said he could not say the phone was moving, so I just had that as something basically to put in the back of my hat of during that time it was strafing, or whatever term they call it but they couldn’t say with certainty that it was actually moving from the residence.

Q Lindsey: So via 225 and Highway 50 is what you were able to plot and determine and then later qualify?

A Grusing: Correct.

But otherwise, looks good.

One letter in the waste basket that the subcontractor turned over to LE, yes to wet towels, yes to chlorine smell and a bed that looked as if someone had laid on top of it is what the employee said when interviewed by Lauren. Gotta love the sensational "cheap", "reeking", "littered"...oh my gosh. I don't even want to click and see who this outlet is :-(

Fox 21 out of Colorado Springs, their headline writer is just awful.

I know the partial DNA match on the glove box of SM's SUV has been beat up pretty good but had another thought :
*Chaffee county must have a sexual predator from AZ lurking about getting into cars that are parked in the garage. Wouldn't that be a news worthy story in a small town?
*What if (IMO) - The partial match is actually from antics BM did while in AZ hunting, or one of his hunting buddies.
I just hope that LE has pursued all genealogical capabilities to get to the bottom of the sexual predator’s identity, to rule them out in this case.

You're backwards on the call. Barry called GM.

SA Grusing showed Barry a document with three calls from him to Gene Moorman on May 8th and 9th, explaining those were the only calls to Gene in Barry’s phone logs. Barry said, “Gene and I would always talk,” and SA Grusing replied these were the only calls on his phone. He replied, “To Gene? Well, Gene and I talked quite a bit. Well, here’s the deal, usually, it’s him calling me.”

Agents explained the last call happened on the way back from Moonlight Pizza on Friday, May 8th. Barry said he thinks that call was him telling Gene to tell his son that all the money was paid back.

Barry's phone ratted him out for the bike staging.

PH:
Q Lindsey: What happened?

A Grusing: You have driver doors opening and closing. It’s in the same location at the edge of their driveway from 3:25 until 3:52 am.

Q Lindsey: So 3:58 to 4:07 am what’s going on with Mr. Morphews phone?

A Grusing: So if — when I plotted the activity because it showed it away from the resident it showed almost a straight line of it moving from his residence up to where 225 intersects 50. It’s close to the area of where the bike was recovered.

However, when I ran that past our cell phone experts he said he could not say the phone was moving, so I just had that as something basically to put in the back of my hat of during that time it was strafing, or whatever term they call it but they couldn’t say with certainty that it was actually moving from the residence.

Q Lindsey: So via 225 and Highway 50 is what you were able to plot and determine and then later qualify?

A Grusing: Correct.

But otherwise, looks good.
^^rsbm

Yes, I recall MBM confirming the loan was repaid early versus SM/BM sign a promissory note. MBM explained her older brother was upset upon learning there was no formal loan agreement between GM and SM/BM, and she suggested he write SM a letter. BM also eluded to this when he told Agent Grusing he probably called GM to confirm he'd told his kids the loan was paid.

Thanks, I knew you guys would have the details.

I just hope that LE has pursued all genealogical capabilities to get to the bottom of the sexual predator’s identity, to rule them out in this case.
It can't be done if it contains "genetically limited data," as this sample supposedly does.

They could rule someone out, but never trace it back to a specific person.

For instance, I have 32,000 matches on AncestryDNA. That's just people who have uploaded their DNA, and match to within a certain threshold.

We don't know what that threshold is here, but it could be much smaller or greater.

Last edited:
It can't be done if it contains "genetically limited data," as this sample supposedly does.

For instance, I have 32,000 matches on AncestryDNA. That's just people who have uploaded their DNA, and match to within a certain threshold.

We don't know what that threshold is here, but it could be much smaller or greater.
I am surprised you are in the database MG! I was kind of hoping this would be like the Golden State Killer match.

If they have a potential name or two of potential partial matches and the person is a known sexual predator how much is it to ask of investigators in a capital murder case with zero forensic evidence and no body and nothing but circumstantial evidence to rule a handful or less people out to better attempt to win your case? Is it that difficult for the DA to try and establish what the strategy a defense team might take? I don't get it frankly. "fell through the cracks" doesn't cut it in my book. Surely we can see some of the weaknesses right now...correctible weaknesses potentially but weaknesses none the less.

If they have a potential name or two of potential partial matches and the person is a known sexual predator how much is it to ask of investigators in a capital murder case with zero forensic evidence and no body and nothing but circumstantial evidence to rule a handful or less people out to better attempt to win your case? Is it that difficult for the DA to try and establish what the strategy a defense team might take? I don't get it frankly. "fell through the cracks" doesn't cut it in my book. Surely we can see some of the weaknesses right now...correctible weaknesses potentially but weaknesses none the less.
The detective on the stand last week said the DNA had been followed up on since. Cahill apparently didn't do his job in a timely manner.

This all occurred around the time of the preliminary hearing, and it's not like they needed to rule out weak DNA in an unrelated vehicle before Barry was charged. There was plenty of time for that.

The investigation does not stop just because someone has been charged. It continues right up until trial.

A preliminary hearing usually occurs within a few weeks of arrest. It's about showing that there is probable cause to move forward. It's not a trial, and there are frequently lots of loose ends at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288