Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think if Suzanne was the one to come into the store at any point in the previous 2 or 3 days, they would remember that. So while the day/time might be off from what the store owners recall, I think they have the right person coming in. Unless someone working at the store was unfamiliar with Suzanne and she did come in at some point.
Maybe she picked it up at Walmart. That's why I thought maybe it was got not get. Could be he stopped in for a completely different chemical/reason.

Any updates from anyone on Cahill's testimony and what happened in that long court afternoon this week? Zero and nada from Lauren which is astounding as she generally will tweet or do a FB live after court dates. The silence is deafening. I see they added a Jan 10 court date so maybe I have to wait but I haven't even heard if that motion is now fully presented and the 10th is a decision by the judge or if there is yet more testimony? Anybody know anything factual? @NoSI weren't you in court that day...if so can you fill us in?

I just checked the AA, and there were 59 messages between Suzanne and JL on that fateful day.

I don't think we know the timing of those, or much of the content.
View attachment 332387

A number of the messages were read at the PH, several with timestamps. I felt really intrusive reading them and didn't think the content was necessary to the timeline.

Your post reminds me that early on I wondered why BM didn’t own a hunting dog or few? Most avid hunters I know have many. We know what happened to his pet raccoon I believe that Barry had. Where is the cat presumed to be MM2’s? Did he splat that cat in the road? When I was 3 or 4 my across the street neighbors had a dachshund. One night their behind the fence neighbor had dogs out of their cage jumping the fence. Neighbor dad immediately ran to get his gun and fired one warning shot in the air. Dogs retreated and all was well except for my PTSD. Dogs don’t belong is cages or crates. Neither do wives or daughters. IMO I would like the domestic cat accounted for among many other things. IMO

I like to think the cat, Lulu(?) is with MM2 in Gunnison.

Judge L's written venue decision does not seem sound to me. He refers to standards he doesn't apply in his analysis, the evidence he seems to rely on is anecdotal, and he gives only lip service the requirement that venue can be changed only in the most extreme circumstances. I just hope he hasn't set the bar for venue change so low in this case that no small community can give BM a fair trial.

MSM coverage was thorough and factual, but clearly not "ubiquitous AND vituperative" - which is the legal test. Some (not all) YouTubers have been vituperative (i.e. bitter and abusive) but they are clearly not ubiquitous. The press was not the problem.

Instead, IMO, it was decisions by the prosecutor and the court, in the context of a small community, that led to a widespread understanding of the evidence produced by the investigation and LE's interpretation of it. A significant percentage of the Chaffee County community, having read virtually all the evidence including irrelevant, inadmissible, and unfairly prejudicial evidence, and having heard public comments from a popular District Attorney, formed the opinion that BM murdered his wife.

D.A. Stanley rushed into a press conference to make a statement, promoting her image before the court could issue its standard order barring public comment. Before she said a word, she put herself visibly behind the arrest and placed her popularity in service to the prosecution. Same for her Profiling Evil interview. The court's reaction to this grandstanding is what you'd expect in an analysis of why the Chaffee County jury pool can't be trusted to give BM a fair trial.

Stanley could have undermined the defense arguments about prejudicial effects of the AA by editing it, before or after it was filed. The only purpose served by including clearly inadmissible comments on BM's character, the refusal to take a lie detector, the unrelated business transactions, etc., was its natural effect - to influence the small jury pool.

It would have been a gutsy call, but Judge M could have insisted on at least some editing before he would even sign the arrest warrant.

Having missed that chance, Judge M refused to release the AA until it was redacted. He got no help from the prosecutor or the defense, both of whom who sought an advantage by leaving it un-redacted. The fact that the defense did not offer edits now looks like a "rope-a-dope" tactic.

Judge M, the last person with an opportunity to put a spike in the defense's venue argument, completely abandoned his initial concerns and released it virtually unreacted as a public document.

Judge M has spent 30 years in Salida and knows the community very well. He must have known that intense local interest in the case would lead to the effect Judge L has now cited to justify removing the case from the Salida community - many people read the affidavit and formed a firm opinion about BM's guilt. I like Judge M but I think he opened the door to venue change by releasing the AA unreacted.

These decisions, much more than any press coverage, may have made it more difficult to pick a fair jury in Chaffee County.

The law very strongly disfavors changes of venue with good reason. Chaffee County residents should not have to rely on juries with big-city values and attitudes about justice in general and small town justice in particular. The defense knows that a jury in Denver is much less likely to care about what happens in small-town rural Colorado, and much more likely to disrespect small-town law enforcement, than any 11th District jury.

Judge L distinguishes established precedent by stating that the cases were tried in communities with a larger jury pool. Maybe there should be special rules (including restrictions on public access to documents) for high profile cases in small jurisdictions, but there are no such rules in place. IMO, Judge L should have followed precedent and reserved ruling until after the jury selection process.

The investigation was as good as it gets, anywhere. The admissible evidence we see in the affidavit clearly establishes BM's guilt. But both the DA and the judiciary have served very poorly the interest of Chafee County.

All MOO.

IMO you are always going to have issues with cases that get this much publicity.

It does seem a bit odd that inadmissible elements (which don't need to be kept from the Judge) are in the AA

...Having missed that chance, Judge M refused to release the AA until it was redacted. He got no help from the prosecutor or the defense, both of whom who sought an advantage by leaving it un-redacted. The fact that the defense did not offer edits now looks like a "rope-a-dope" tactic....
All MOO.
Not pressuring on the affidavit release, asking for the complete interviews to be played for the jury all calculated...they knew there were holes in the prosecution case and they knew how much information was going to be admissible and when prosecution missed deadlines for delivery of documents or bungled their own internal communication...yeah I think the tactic is to keep prosecution running around and pressing on every single misstep. And who knows...it could win the case for them. Right now I'm sure not taking any bets but the silence from the gallery after Cahill's testimony is deafening.

Any updates from anyone on Cahill's testimony and what happened in that long court afternoon this week? Zero and nada from Lauren which is astounding as she generally will tweet or do a FB live after court dates. The silence is deafening. I see they added a Jan 10 court date so maybe I have to wait but I haven't even heard if that motion is now fully presented and the 10th is a decision by the judge or if there is yet more testimony? Anybody know anything factual?

Great question! What happened in court the other day? Has @NoSI reported back to us yet? The silence is very strange. o_O

IMO you are always going to have issues with cases that get this much publicity.

It does seem a bit odd that inadmissible elements (which don't need to be kept from the Judge) are in the AA
Neither side objected very hard to releasing it. Neither side pushed about redactions. That is a "tell" in my book.

I thought he took her wedding ring from her and melted it. It was listed on her complaints about BM. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I live in a rural area and it's free to take things to the dump. They watch you like a hawk, though. Except for household garbage, they have people check the bins every time something is put in.

I think her objection was referring to what he did with his ring.

JMO

Why did Barry throw things away in the hotel dumpster? He sized up the camera situation and thought he sized it up correctly.

He forgot about cameras on nearby businesses.

I'm okay with that.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members