13 yr old Dies After Being Tackled During Game

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1931716/

This is why mine are only playing flag. Prayers to his family.

I get a lot of flack from my uncle who thinks every kid should play football.
Also we have friends who's two sons are in Football and they think I am wrong too for not letting one of my sons play.
*NOTE* their sons are constantly injured and have had a ton of broken bones.

This story above is why!!! Thank you for posting teons!
Now I have yet another reason to site for not letting him play.

Your not the only one, my son will never play football either. He does baseball and basketball but never football. He is 9 but some of they players on JFL look like there 16.

This scares the crap out of me. My son would start tackle next year... but now I'm rethinking that...

A coworker of mine has 2 very athletically gifted H.S. sons. My co-worker was an outstanding football player in his H.S. and college days. He absolultely refuses to allow his boys to play football. They are allowed to play anything but that.

My coworker sincerely believes that football, while a great game, is just too hard on the body. His fingers are all contorted from being broken. I can hear him walking down the hall because his body cracks and creaks. He has told me stories as well as my DDs' male friends of incidents where the coaches ignore injuries for the good of the team - not the individual. The brother of my my DD's BF had 2 concussions during last years season. a few people on the coaching staff warned him that per the trainers orders, a 3rd would have him sitting out the rest of the season - he took it as don't let us know about the 3rd one unless you want to sit out.

I have seen dads yell and scream at their children from the sidelines to "suck it up and quit being a baby" and grown men fight over a junior football game. When my daughter told me she wanted to try football, I about fell out! There was no way she was trying it! LOL

I know there are some who are going to want to choke me after saying this but seriously why is football even considered a sport? I have watched my fair share of football games and I don't ever see them doing much but overly huge men jumping on top of each other? Sure they run a little bit here and there but ehhh never mind obviously not my favorite ''sport''.. lol

My son has played football since the second grade. He is now in high school football, 10th grade. If I had ever told him he couldn't play, that would be like cutting his heart out of his chest. He has planned to play college ball, then NFL all of his life.

The boys are rough, surely. There are injuries. As a parent, I have to watch out for him ... I don't leave it to him to tell me as he might try to cover it up so he could play, and I don't leave it up to the coaches and the trainers to watch out for him. That is my job as a parent, since I am the one letting him play. I couldn't NOT let him play because it means so much to him.

I worried most in the summer when they're doing two-a-days ... that's where they practice in the morning and afternoon in the heat of the summer with a break in between. I worry about heat exhaustion. Some of those coaches (in my son's high school, there are 22 coaches JUST for football) are just the kind to tell the boys to suck it up. We football Moms (Dads, too) go to the practices to make sure our kids get plently of water and aren't driven too hard. I have no problems whatsoever to get in a coach's face because I felt my son or any other boy (I've known these kids for years and they're mine, too) was driven too hard or not getting enough liquids. We football Moms and Dads watch out for ALL of these boys.

It is my nightmare that something would happen to my son that handicaps him or kills him by playing football, but we can't live our lives afraid of everything.

It is my nightmare that something would happen to my son that handicaps him or kills him by playing football, but we can't live our lives afraid of everything.

This is very true. We can't keep them in a bubble!!! It's SO hard being a parent! The worry just never ends.

My 40 yr old hubby LOVED to play in HS and was a big guy that they wanted out there on the line. He had that fire and now he pays the price. He was overlooked for college ball because he wasnt big enough- only 6 ft 1. Apparently you need to be way bigger than that. His knees kill him, his knuckles are all not where they should be and his hands kill him (especially when it's cold outside).

We have 2 daughters and when I ask him if we had had boys would he expect them to be HS football stars like he was, and he says-only if they really wanted it but he thinks he wouldn't push them to play since it really doesn't do anything but cripple you up later in life. We don't go to HS games, we don't watch any football on ESPN.....I think the pain he feels in his body on a daily basis has soured him from even acknowledging football as much of a sport. He does admit that it was fun while it lasted though.

Youth football players are safer than youth soccer players.
This is because football players are padded and helmeted up and are taught how to hit and expect to be hit. It is a prepared battle. In soccer contact is not intended but it happens and that results in head injuries
Think of the zillions of kids that play football and how few fatalities and injuries there are.
My kids all played football and have not had any injuries at all. Amraan if your friends kids are constantly injured and have broken bones from football :confused: :confused: ..that is about the equipment and most importantly the coaching. These kids are not hitting properly or taught to defend.That is just wrong.I would get out of that league immediately because the coaching is inferior.
Few facts regarding youth football:

• Organized football among 5 – 15 year-olds has 12 percent fewer injuries per capita than organized soccer in the same age range
• Organized football among 5 – 15 year-olds has 50 percent fewer injuries per capita than bicycle riding in the same age range.
• Organized football among 5 – 15 year-olds has 74 percent fewer injuries per capita than skateboarding in the same age group.​
http://www.popwarner.com/football/footballsafety.asp

http://kidsclubs.about.com/b/a/000026.htm

If I am not mistaken most sports injuries are more about repetitive movement.

Wow! My son is just now ending his very first season of tackle (6th grade). He plays 4 sports and I admit, I was a bit nervous about tackle. I do think things are safer than many think with all of the padding. His soccer games are much more physical than the football. Although, I also worry that the sheer number of sports/practices he participates in could also be his physical downfall - regardless of the type of sport. Overactivity, repetitive movement, injuries that don't quite heal, lack of sleep, genetics, hidden medical issues - there are so many things that can trip our kids, any one of us, up at any time. It's scary, but I do feel like we can't live in a bubble and be afraid of every little thing. Education, responsibility, diligence, watchfulness and common sense - what else can I add to the mix for parents?? It's a scary world and being addicted to this site is tough whether we are reminded about football injuries or kidnappings each day and then deal with the fear of letting our kids walk to their bus stops alone...I certainly don't want to pass many of my fears onto my children, but I want them to be careful in this life and to live life on life's terms. Parenting truly is the hardest job there is....sorry, didn't mean to stray off topic a bit.

My son has played football since the second grade. He is now in high school football, 10th grade. If I had ever told him he couldn't play, that would be like cutting his heart out of his chest. He has planned to play college ball, then NFL all of his life.

My son too. He's 11 and this is his 5th year playing. He LOVES it and would be devastated to be told he couldn't play anymore.

We have done everything right (as much as we can anyway) in terms of training, etc. He's gone to football clinics, training, etc. with knowledgeable coaches all over the Houston area.

He is athletically gifted and makes playing sports look easy. He is fantastic at soccer, baseball and football. We haven't had any injuries with baseball, but he broke his foot playing soccer when someone landed on him wrong and he's out now with a broken hand and wrist from a tackle gone wrong at football practice almost 2 weeks ago.

That said, I have a nephew who is on swim team and broke his arm and shoulder on a dive that went bad. There is a chance of injury in any sport. But there is no way I wouldn't let him play just because of a chance of injury. Heck, every time you get into a car there's a chance of an accident. You can't live your life in a bubble waiting and fearing something to happen. As long as they have the proper training - on their part and play responsibly - that's all I ask of him. I can't control how others play. I would hope they take the same precautions we do, but I'm sure some don't.

JMO...

Well the oldest played Football last year, after all it was the sport that hubby and I were most opposed to, therefore it was the sport that our oldest was most determined to play.

After signing the documents that insured the school would not be sued for any injury including death, I began to worry more then I thought was possible.

The practices every night for three hours, the school missed for the games, the grades dropping due to him being too tired for homework and assignments, were par for the course.

Then he would tell us about how at the first practice a player broke his leg, another his arm, this player can't play due to head injury. Of course, he just had to tell us all of the details in full.

But, after only one head injury, sore muscles, a torn muscle in the arm, he came out of it pretty unscathed. Thank goodness.

Plus they won the Junior Championship for all of the High School Teams in our City. Received medals, a banquet, and a really nice High School Chamnpionship Jacket.

But this year, with the girlfriend and needing better grades for University, he declined to play, but considered Rugby, which apparently is worse then Football.

But the G.F., convinced him that she would rather him take her home from school then watch him at practice, as she has to be "in the door" at 6.00 p.m.(no exceptions, in the house for the night) and his practice would end at 6:00 p.m.

I really like his G.F., she saved us from more nights wondering if we are going to make it through his teenage years, without breaking down from stress. After all apparently if the G.F. says something and the Mom and Dad say the same thing, he will listen to said G.F. and not the parents. Of course........the parents know nothing.

Youth football players are safer than youth soccer players.
This is because football players are padded and helmeted up and are taught how to hit and expect to be hit. It is a prepared battle. In soccer contact is not intended but it happens and that results in head injuries
Think of the zillions of kids that play football and how few fatalities and injuries there are.
My kids all played football and have not had any injuries at all. Amraan if your friends kids are constantly injured and have broken bones from football :confused: :confused: ..that is about the equipment and most importantly the coaching. These kids are not hitting properly or taught to defend.That is just wrong.I would get out of that league immediately because the coaching is inferior.
Few facts regarding youth football:

• Organized football among 5 – 15 year-olds has 12 percent fewer injuries per capita than organized soccer in the same age range
• Organized football among 5 – 15 year-olds has 50 percent fewer injuries per capita than bicycle riding in the same age range.
• Organized football among 5 – 15 year-olds has 74 percent fewer injuries per capita than skateboarding in the same age group.​
http://www.popwarner.com/football/footballsafety.asp

http://kidsclubs.about.com/b/a/000026.htm

If I am not mistaken most sports injuries are more about repetitive movement.

Wow I really have to agree with this JBean. Both my sons played from Pop Warner and Junior All American all the way through senior year in High School. Most of the time they played both ways, offense and defense. Broken bones and concussions were so rare on any of those teams that it was really a big deal when it ever happened and thankfully only one of my sons had an injury, a sprained wrist in high school.

I believe equipment and coaching have a lot to do with injuries. When my son started high school football, the coaches held a Mom's Clinic and explained the policies of league rules in regard to safety equipment, referees, etc. It was reassuring for us Moms and informative.

I watched a young man get tackled in last night's game and he's a big kid, with a lot of football seasons behind him. He was winded pretty hard. The trainer and one of the coaches immediately went to him. My son was off the field at the time, and when the trainer finished with him, my son sat down next to him to keep an eye on him. I think they all keep an eye on each other when someone is hurt on the field. They all watch out for one another.

Wow I really have to agree with this JBean. Both my sons played from Pop Warner and Junior All American all the way through senior year in High School. Most of the time they played both ways, offense and defense. Broken bones and concussions were so rare on any of those teams that it was really a big deal when it ever happened and thankfully only one of my sons had an injury, a sprained wrist in high school.
I totally agree with this, too. All 3 of my boys played football, from age 7 through high school, and one of them played in college. None of my boys ever had a football injury and I saw only a few minor injuries of other team members in all the years they played.

But this year, with the girlfriend and needing better grades for University, he declined to play, but considered Rugby, which apparently is worse then Football.

LOL, funny you should mention that. My freshman year of college I was at a party (drinking underage of course) that the college Rugby team was hosting. I guess I was there because a kid on our floor had joined the team and said it was cool that we came along.

The entire time I was there they tried to recruit me because I'm a fairly big guy, about 200 pounds 6'2. I remember getting the pitch to join the team when a player strolls by on crutches, and I remember looking at the guy and saying "and ending up like that? No way. No thanks."

Football is the stupidest sport ever invented. Not only is it incredibly dangerous.. but just ask all the men whose bodies are all messed up and broken down from it, who are only in their 30's and 40's. SAD!!!!!

There is a 17-year-old high school player who attends the same high school as my son who is recovering from a coma from a hit he took during a high school game last month. The coaches and doctors have reviewed tapes of the game and have no idea how he ended up with a life-threatening brain injury.

There is a 17-year-old high school player who attends the same high school as my son who is recovering from a coma from a hit he took during a high school game last month. The coaches and doctors have reviewed tapes of the game and have no idea how he ended up with a life-threatening brain injury.
We had a player drop dead during summer practice. I am not saying injuries and fatalities do not happen, they just don't happen very often.
But at the same time a 14 yo high school track runner died in the middle of her 3 mile race last week. No cause for death found yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back