Found Deceased IL - Jelani 'JJ' Day, 25, ISU grad student, missed class, Bloomington, 23 Aug 2021 #2

Oh my goodness! Definitely sounds worse than my experience but it's good to know I'm not alone!

Back to on topic, I did not realize that Jelani was a bone marrow donor match for his sick father, this young man really had a lot on his plate.

I just happened to be in Colorado to see MD report this story live on local news and have never forgotten it! She showed the candy bar, similar to this image -- just a normal size chocolate bar and she consumed the entire bar (as I would have) only to learn too late you should only eat one square per serving! At the time, there was no warning label or advice on consumption.

upload_2022-2-9_17-31-54.jpeg

No information cited on PPD's web page and no link to official Twitter -- only FB.

Detective Division - City of Peru Illinois 61354

City of Peru Police Department

Wednesday, Feb 9, 2022 12:23 PM·

Peru Police Detective Division is looking for surveillance video and or Ring Doorbell video on August 24th, 2021, from 10:00a – 12:30p in the 1100-1300 block of St Vincent’s St west to Chartres Street/Airport Rd. Looking for a White Chrysler 300 four door with a black top. If you have any video of this vehicle, please contact Commander Hocking at 815.224.6017 or via e-mail and dhocking@perupolice.org

City of Peru Police Department limited who can comment on this post.

[Not allowing comments so perhaps they've had a bad experience-- perhaps from family requests for supporters to make mass calls/posts to all local, state, and federal agencies].

OMG!!!! I have worked with maps extensively in my profession, even doing geographic inventories for property taxes, then later for eminent domain. I found a city street map for Peru. Maybe my eyes are old and blurry but I cannot find these streets! Airport Rd runs north/south but on the other side of town than the airport. I see no Chartres St nor St Vincents St. There is a St Vincennes Ave. Just a short little dead end street just north of hiway 6 between 9th & 10 st.

Lord, I hope someone here can find it! I don't know what to do other than go back to the very beginning of this case. By now, the times are fuzzy for me too. Hope there is a map.

Do videos commonly go back almost 6 months?? I thought this was gone over thoroughly already.

Thank you for the update, Seattle1!!!!

Wednesday, Oct. 13: The LaSalle County sheriff’s office issues a rare public statement about the status of the investigation. They say “investigators are reviewing hundreds of hours of security video” and had conducted another search of the Illinois River, which did not yield anything.
NPR from ISU from beginning pages of Thread 1.

Last seen leaving dispensary just before 9:30am on the 24th.

I attempted to do a mapquest and it does not find St Vincent St or Chartres St. It does locate Airport Rd. Mapquest says it is an hour's drive from Bloomington/Normal. EIU is in Bloomington. ISU is in Normal.
I grew up a little over an hour 1/2 south of there.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the coroner needs to rule on manner of death and clear this case.

OMG!!!! I have worked with maps extensively in my profession, even doing geographic inventories for property taxes, then later for eminent domain. I found a city street map for Peru. Maybe my eyes are old and blurry but I cannot find these streets! Airport Rd runs north/south but on the other side of town than the airport. I see no Chartres St nor St Vincents St. There is a St Vincennes Ave. Just a short little dead end street just north of hiway 6 between 9th & 10 st.

Lord, I hope someone here can find it! I don't know what to do other than go back to the very beginning of this case. By now, the times are fuzzy for me too. Hope there is a map.

Do videos commonly go back almost 6 months?? I thought this was gone over thoroughly already.

Thank you for the update, Seattle1!!!!

Jelani Day - Google My Maps

I found it. I have the exact blocks marked out in a yellow area. St. Vincent's Ave is in La Salle, not Peru. Closest landmark is Lincoln Jr. High School.

St. Vincent's Ave/Joliet Ave is IL-351, which is the street where Lock 14 is, and my initial speculation/belief that he might have jumped from the IL-351 bridge since the river flows east-to-west.

^^rsbm

There are major differences between the cannabinoid THC and CBD. THC produces a psychoactive effect sought by recreational users while CBD does not produce those effects.

I disagree with OP's interpretation of my post and the conclusion that a donor candidate's use of THC will be of no consequence to either the recipient or the candidate's opportunities to be a donor.

Perhaps OP is not aware that the recipient's medical health coverage typically covers the cost for both the recipient and the donor. Perhaps OP is not aware that most insurers require the recipient and donor to each consent t0 non-use of recreational marijuana (THC) or risk denial of coverage.

I don't understand why OP would promote the donor candidate's use of THC as being of no consequence when this selfish act could jeopardize the life of the recipient and be the cause of financial ruin. IMO, if one's need for THC so grand that they can't put the recipient's needs before their own, they are not a good candidate.
Thanks. We don't know either if Jelani had a medical card or not. So I guess to get a correct answer we would need to know if he had a medical card for MJ use. I do agree with the rest though what you've stated. I also wasn't aware of the impact on insurance coverage if policies aren't followed rearding MJ use.

I am confused. His toxicology showed cannabis which does contain THC.

I did not cherry pick that scientific/medical study. I am sure I could find dozens more at a minimum.

It is neither safe nor wise to use in conjunction with a mental illness. Not just the bipolar disorder, which I have identified as being very likely but also all the common other ones...depression, anxiety disorders, and more rare and severe ones such as schizophrenia and manic depression (bipolar)

Manic depression often has psychotic features as well, both during the highs and the depression, but more floridly seen in the manic phases.

Symptomology of bipolar:
The manic phase is characterized by:

grandiosity is usually in this list. And it often causes a belief that one is an important religious character with a destiny. or a historical person.
  • Extreme happiness, hopefulness, and excitement
  • Irritability, anger, fits of rage and hostile behavior
  • Restlessness
  • Agitation
  • Rapid speech
  • Poor concentration and judgment
  • Increased energy
  • Less need for sleep
  • Unusually high sex drive
  • Setting unrealistic goals
  • Paranoia
The depressive phase may include:
  • Sadness and crying
  • Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, and guilt
  • Loss of energy
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in everyday activities
  • Trouble concentrating and making decisions
  • Irritability
  • Need for more sleep or sleeplessness
  • Change in appetite
  • Weight loss/gain
  • Suicidal thoughts and attempts at suicide
This doesn't cover everything. It is simply a list from the DSM, used as a basic checklist.

It does not cover mixed episodes which are the most dangerous.
Is it a fact he was diagnosed with these conditions? Forgive me but I don't think I've seen it anywhere I could be wrong though. Yes then taking a potent form of THC could be detrimental but he would be aware of that beforehand though.

I found it. I have the exact blocks marked out in a yellow area. St. Vincent's Ave is in La Salle, not Peru. Closest landmark is Lincoln Jr. High School.

St. Vincent's Ave/Joliet Ave is IL-351, which is the street where Lock 14 is, and my initial speculation/belief that he might have jumped from the IL-351 bridge since the river flows east-to-west.
Briliant!! Big thanks @SimplyCass.

I'm not an expert but THC is a nautral substance and has properties that can help with pain management.

THC and CBD has shown to reduce inflammation in bone marrow transplants.

Cannabidiol for the Prevention of Graft-versus-Host-Disease after Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation: Results of a Phase II Study - ScienceDirect

Also, studies now show that THC and certain cannabinoids kill cancer cells, including leukemia cells, in vitro.

Cannabis-induced cytotoxicity in leukemic cell lines: the role of the cannabinoid receptors and the MAPK pathway

Researchers found that the THC cannabinoids in medical marijuana can kill leukemia cells. Research also shows that, unlike chemo that targets cancer cells and healthy cells alike, medical pot only targets the cancer cells, not the healthy cells.

Is it a fact he was diagnosed with these conditions? Forgive me but I don't think I've seen it anywhere I could be wrong though. Yes then taking a potent form of THC could be detrimental but he would be aware of that beforehand though.

Studies are just getting started as the government prevented studies until it loosened up recently.
The effect of THC is very different than CBD.

Medicinal cannabis for psychiatric disorders: a clinically-focused systematic review | BMC Psychiatry | Full Text

The present evidence in the emerging field of cannabinoid therapeutics in psychiatry is nascent, and thereby it is currently premature to recommend cannabinoid-based interventions. Isolated positive studies have, however, revealed tentative support for cannabinoids (namely cannabidiol; CBD) for reducing social anxiety; with mixed (mainly positive) evidence for adjunctive use in schizophrenia.

ETA: This is all generalizing, in no way do I mean to imply a diagnosis of anyone with a mental illness based on things I read about them in the news.

Last edited:

Awesome! Thank you so so so much!

Peru PD Puts Out New Request For Video Footage Seemingly Tied To Jelani Day Case
“If you have some type of video surveillance at your home, you could assist the Peru Police Department.

The PD put out a message on their Facebook page Wednesday afternoon seeking surveillance video and or Ring Doorbell video from August 24th between 10 in the morning until 12:30 in the afternoon.

[SBM]

While not saying so in the message, the date, location and vehicle type would match up with pieces of the Jelani Day investigation. WLPO News has reached out to Peru Detective Commander Dennis Hocking for more information.”
Peru PD Puts Out New Request For Video Footage Seemingly Tied To Jelani Day Case

No. We do not have access to his medical records and no direct comments that I am aware of (on approved sources) to positively affirm that he had a mental illness that he or his family was aware of, other than the mostly accepted theory that he suicided. I do see many indicators behaviorally, much of that coming from his mother and what we know of his history and actions.
This diagnosis would need to be made by a psychiatrist and is assessed behaviorally rather than through some medical test for it. The field is just not that advanced yet. There are markers on identified chromosomes that are genetic and can indicate a predisposition, that may or may not advance to the illness. We do not fully know why some with the predisposition go on to develop the illness and others do not but pointers are towards life events & stressors and basic personalities enhancing vulnerabilities.
I am very doubtful that JJ ever consulted a psychiatrist. 1) his age. untreated, this is a progressive illness. Patients usually only present due to depression symptoms. People tend to think they are having "life problems" not a psychiatric illness. 2) the religious beliefs and framework of his family & their beliefs about him. 3) People tend to try to hide problematic symptoms, ride it out and seek other solutions. There is still much stigma and disinformation. 4) Self medicating is more common than not.
In the US, psychiatrists utilize the DSM. If 5 of 9 of the conditions/symptoms are present, a diagnosis is made, after a thorough history is taken along with trained clinical observations. Because patients are prone to only present when depressed, unfortunately initial dxs may be made of major depressive disorder, with or without anxiety disorders.
Not long ago, it was found that it often took 15!! years to reach the correct dx of bipolar disorder. There are 3 kinds/classifications of bipolar. In all of them, the primary re-0ccurring mood is depression. The distinctions between the 3 are the determination of hypomania and/or mania. Full blown mania is a quick trip to wrecking your whole life! It commonly results in hospitalization. And disability.
What I see in JJ is hypomania. these are shorter in duration than depression, often 2-4 weeks but reoccur. It feels great, top of the world! Who goes to a dr to say I feel so damned good and everything is going to work out stellar!? It is experienced as happiness and success with greater creativity and spawns big plans. There is some carelessness and risk taking but generally not over the top. There are elements of minor delusions/disordered thoughts, not too concerning unless it progresses to mania. And the relief from depression is keenly felt. The patient thinks they have turned the corner on depression and their life.
Medication compliance is poor. Understandably, people do not like to have the hypomania medicated out of existence! But then the depression is unmitigated. I was chatting with a psychiatrist one time and he told me that his professor had told him that people would eat dirt if they thought it would make them feel better. In real life this often translates to alcohol and other "recreational" drugs, such as cannabis.
For a number of years, Frederick Goodwin (UK) and Kay Redfield Jamison were the top researchers in this field and authored the textbook(s) used in medical and psychiatric training. In their latest revision (that I know of), they put tremendous warnings of the very high potential of suicidality accompanying manic depression.
For quite a long while I followed individual cases on a huge forum out of the UK. I had to stop and walk away. I could not deal with the vast number of people, some being the same person year in and year out, with the constant refrain that they just wanted to die.
I do not have the fortitude to be a clinician. I have been asked to be a support person in a day group. I declined.
My mental health analysis is based on years of studies, reading and personal cases but I would always advise to get professional specialized medical help. To adhere to medications with known efficacy.
I still feel confident that JJ was suffering from manic depression from what I know of the illness and what has been revealed about him. It is devastating that it culminated in suicide, I only wish it were unusual and that sufferers sought preventative care.

ETA: I so very much wish we could see the FBI's BAU profile!!!!!

Last edited:
“If you have some type of video surveillance at your home, you could assist the Peru Police Department.

The PD put out a message on their Facebook page Wednesday afternoon seeking surveillance video and or Ring Doorbell video from August 24th between 10 in the morning until 12:30 in the afternoon.

[SBM]

While not saying so in the message, the date, location and vehicle type would match up with pieces of the Jelani Day investigation. WLPO News has reached out to Peru Detective Commander Dennis Hocking for more information.”

Please forgive that I need to refresh myself on some details. Do we know why the 12:30pm in the afternoon is the chosen end time?

It is interesting that LE seems to be looking for his car, not JD himself.
The area described seems to be a residential area just northeast of where his car was found. Maybe they are just trying to establish when his car arrived at its final location. It just seems strange that he would be driving through a residential area when 11th street would seem to be a better route to his final destination. One can argue that he was somehow not coherent at this time, but it seems like he was either lost or following weird GPS directions (He likely had lost his phone at this point, but did the car have built-in GPS). The time frame requested seems to indicate they were looking for his arrival time. Possibly to determine if he arrived alone. Maybe they are trying to corroborate an eyewitness siting.

I still lean towards suicide since it seems it would be hard to murder someone by making a good swimmer jump into water, but my gut feeling has always been that he went to this specific location for a reason.

Please forgive that I need to refresh myself on some details. Do we know why the 12:30pm in the afternoon is the chosen end time?
I don’t believe that we do.

My guess would be that they already have evidence confirming the vehicle’s location as of 12:30 PM (e.g., security camera footage at a nearby business), and that it was near the vicinity specified in the new FB post. It seems like they are trying to determine the vehicle’s movements immediately prior to wherever it ended up at 12:30 PM.

RE: New posting by Peru Police, looking for videos

Below is the original request posted by Peru Police, the day before Jelani's body was found. The first request was for both the 24th and 25th, during daylight hours.

I have posted this information at least twice before, so all of this can be considered just my opinion, with me not putting in links on this post.

This has to do with his wallet, which was reported to be found several blocks east of the car. The resident that saw a male (described as being or looking like Jelani), drop/toss a small object into bushes?/ground, was not sure of the date/time. They did not look at what it was until at least a day later and may have delayed even another day before reporting it to the police.
For some reason, the timeline has now been narrowed. I'm guessing the witness remembered/discovered something, or some new information was found.

The family and supporters did look for cameras in the area but had no luck. One brother lamented that it was disappointing that so many cameras are just for show, don't record, were not working, don't retain video for any length of time, etc. Directly south of the intersection of 9th and Chartres St, is Canal St, apparently close to the area his ID/lanyard was found.

Apparently, the only video reported by a citizen was the one of the (not relevant, uninvolved) male knocking on a door at Canal St.

City of Peru Police Department

September 3rd, 2021

Detective Commander Hocking
Investigation continues on missing person
Peru Police Department's detectives are asking the public to look at their security cameras from Tuesday, August 24th from 7a-7p and Wednesday, August 25th from 7a-7p for a male black walking along Airport/Chartres St and/or a white Chrysler 300 with a black roof.
If you observe a male black and/or a Chrysler 300 with a black top, please contact Detective Commander Hocking at 815-224-6017 and e-mail the video to dhocking@perupolice.org

Last edited:
New 'Jelani Day' bill to require FBI involvement in cases where bodies remain unidentified | WGLT
It’s been six months since Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day went missing. His body was not found for nearly two weeks. Once found, Day's remains went unidentified for three more weeks.

State Sen. Elgie Sims, D-Chicago, says the process should not take so long.

“When you look at missing person cases, typically the first 72 hours are extremely important. So being able to get those resources in place, they're just critical to the overall success and getting families the help that they need,” said Sims.

Sims hopes to amend the Missing Persons Identification Act with SB 3932. It would require medical examiners and coroners to contact the FBI if a body remains unidentified after 72 hours. Sims said the FBI would then work with the Illinois State Police.

“It's not an indictment of any person in law enforcement. It's about utilizing the tools that we have we have at our disposal,” Sims said.

Sims said he hopes the legislative reinforcement will help police and coroners find out sooner how and why a missing person died, and therefore bring closure to the family and the community suffering the loss.

Sims is a former Redbird himself. He says he sends his heart out to Day's family, his alma mater, and the Bloomington-Normal community.

“My heart goes out first and foremost to the family, but also to the entire community. Because you want everyone to understand that they have value. Whomever you are, your life has value,” said Sims.

The FBI is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who comes forward with information on Jelani Day's death.

SB 3932 passed through the Senate Local Government committee on Tuesday. The 5-3 vote fell along party lines. The bill is placed on the Senate calendar for second reading.

Support Nonprofit Journalism

Apparently, the meeting was at the request of the family, per the links in the article.

‘Private’ meeting between Jelani Day’s family and police as legislation aims for quicker FBI involvement in similar cases

BLOOMINGTON (25 NEWS) - Leaders of the Bloomington Police Department met Thursday with relatives of Illinois State University graduate student Jelani Day, while at the same time legislation is moving forward in Springfield that would require quicker FBI involvement in cases similar to Day’s disappearance and death.

Family members said on the “Justice For Jelani Day” Facebook page said the meeting with the police department’s top brass took months to happen, and Day’s relatives were given less than 24 hours notice confirming police would meet with them.

“But, we’re here today ready to fight harder for Jelani,” his family said.

Bloomington Police Public Information Officer John Fermon issued a statement that provided no information what happened at the meeting.

It was a “private meeting between the Bloomington Police Department’s leaders and members of the Day family,” Fermon said in an email to 25 News.

“It’s still an active investigation. Members of the Jelani Day Joint Task Force implore anyone who has any information to contact the FBI Tip line - 1-800-CALL-FBI,” Fermon also said

[SBM]

I thought that LE post was very odd and if the reader was not been familiar with Jelani's vehicle -- it was in no way explicit. But maybe that was intentional.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back