Norway Norway - Oslo, WhtFem 20-30, Fake Name, shot in hotel room, Jun'95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following other cases here, I have seen isotopes be very wrong. Beth Doe is one excellent example.

Personally,I try not to get overly invested in the possibility of any match but I'm also probably more open to considering some others would probably brush off. Especially with long cold cases. I look at it as what do we have to lose if we have a conversation about whether or not someone could be ___ or ___? Maybe we're right, or maybe we're very off the mark but in the discussion we hit on something else that leads somewhere closer to the truth?

You're also right many people can look alike, especially when there are only a handful of old photos to compare to say a post-mortem, and/or an artist's sketch.

(*If you're not familiar with "Beth Doe", she was found to be Evelyn Colon, a young girl from New Jersey. Isotopes indicated she was from Europe. I'm not sure of the typical margin of error, but in her case? Way off!)

I'm reading more of the links from the article I shared. It seems there are theories leading MH to possible prostitution and trafficking in Hamburg. This could possibly explain her speaking German if she was "Jennifer Fairgate"? MH also spent time in London, so that could explain selecting an alias along those lines too. Interesting. Worth a read/dive, I think for those with a bit of time.

MH looks like a good possible match, the best so far IMO. But according to most french articles, MH's parents never stopped searching for her since she disappeared. I'm sure they would already have come across JF's case.

MOO JMO

Trente ans après la disparition de Marie-Hélène Audoye, le poids d'une enquête ratée

Marie-Hélène Audoye affaire non classée

"Once again, Marie-Hélène's family and friends see their hopes of finally knowing the truth vanish. After the decision of the judge from Grasse Caroline Vercamer to stop the research in September 2007, only an extraordinary twist could allow the investigation to succeed. If she is now convinced that she will not find Marie-Hélène alive, Annie Audoye is continuing her fight today through an association bringing together families of missing persons."

MH looks like a good possible match, the best so far IMO. But according to most french articles, MH's parents never stopped searching for her since she disappeared. I'm sure they would already have come across JF's case.

SBM/BBM

So I'm thinking they would have supplied DNA, either hers or theirs, if there was a possible match to be ruled in/out? I'm 99% sure they did get a DNA sample from JF in the end.

JMO

That is a good observation. I'm not sure about DNA? Is it noted for either?

There have been missing where family has been aware of an unidentified person, seen sketches, heard the case details, and for whatever reason(s) did not feel it was their loved one, and then later on, it was in fact a match.

I'm not trying to push the idea of MH as JF, only it is theoretically possible for her family to have heard of this case in passing, and dismissed it.

Yes, good point. This is all going back a bit now too, and I'm wondering if back in the day a family would have to make an active request for a specific comparison to be made - and because of costs perhaps would be discouraged from making too many requests.

I've just refreshed my memory about Interpol's I-Familia, which was launched this year, and wonder if family members' DNA wasn't acceptable in the past too.

I-Familia is a gamechanger: INTERPOL unveils new global database to identify missing persons through family DNA

I wonder if either of these two women is in the database.

I double checked and the Doenetwork does state DNA is available for JF. No idea about the costs involved in comparing, or what may be available for MH.

There is a long cold case, very well known on Websleuths very recently solved by genetic genealogy where the family did seem aware of the eventual match, but did not think it was their loved one. The missing report seems to have been filed, and somehow lost/misplaced/shuffled around. The UID had no known connection to where they were found. I'm being a bit vague because they are said to be very upset and asking for privacy, and the case is very sad, but the case is even older than this one.

There could be something similar going on here where a family has heard about "Jennifer Fairgate", but the known details are so weird, and the way she looks could have changed just enough/sketches are off, that they have not considered it possible or pursued it.

I double checked and the Doenetwork does state DNA is available for JF. No idea about the costs involved in comparing, or what may be available for MH.

Costs are about 300-600 € if you want to create a new DNA profile of an existing / recently deceased person. As the profile needs to match with the identifiers, Kripos sorted out, it needs to be done in a special way. Easiest way is to contact them and to send a sample so they can create one on their own for comparisation.

Regarding the address in the check-in form I’m pretty sure its written «Rue de la Statiou».

Google translate claim this is Luxembourgish (using ‘recognize language’ function)

Luxembourgish is a Moselle-Franconian dialect of the West Middle German group. (Luxembourgish - Wikipedia)

As you can see from the map provided in the article there is a specific geograpic area in which the dialect is used and it covers a small part of Belgium. In addition to this it also covers the Merzig area of Germany that seems to be part of JF larger isotop hotspot in early years.

Agreed entirely. I'm not overly keen to get myself another temporary ban for "snarky comments" so I'll try to moderate my words, but the idea that the hotel covered this up themselves for "PR" purposes is ridiculous for all the reasons you mention. Why on earth would a prestigious high-class hotel decide to commit a raft of very serious criminal offences for what amount to publicity reasons? I don't know what the Norwegian equivalent is but the main charge here (UK) would be conspiracy to pervert the cause of justice and that can result in a seriously long sentence. I doubt that Norway is much different. There will be numerous other offences related to it too. What hotel manager is going to go along with that when the fall-out of being caught (which they inevitably would be) is far worse than having a murder in your hotel? It's hardly good PR either as, from a traveller's point of view, which would you rather stay in - a hotel which once had a murder in it or a hotel where the staff were covering up murders? I mean, that theory makes it sound like the Continental from John Wick!

The theory also completely ignores any sort of human decency or compassion. Who on earth ignores a murder on their premises for public relations reasons and leaves the body of a young woman lying there (along with an illegal firearm and ammunition) whilst they concoct some ridiculous scheme to cover up what they think might be a murder? Let alone multiple people all of a similar mind which is what the theory requires.

On top of all that there simply is not one single shred of evidence to support the theory. Nothing at all.

She killed herself. It really is that simple. There is a tiny possibility that she may have been murdered but, given the evidence it's vanishingly small.

Disagree completely. I would say it is definitely a murder however I don't believe for a moment the hotel was in on it... That is conspiracy crazy thought!

What I think this is - a "mercy killing". She knew she was going to die and her partner killed her to spare her a worse death/torture by other people. So it's close to suicide, but a murder.

Regarding the address in the check-in form I’m pretty sure its written «Rue de la Statiou».

Google translate claim this is Luxembourgish (using ‘recognize language’ function)

Luxembourgish is a Moselle-Franconian dialect of the West Middle German group. (Luxembourgish - Wikipedia)

As you can see from the map provided in the article there is a specific geograpic area in which the dialect is used and it covers a small part of Belgium. In addition to this it also covers the Merzig area of Germany that seems to be part of JF larger isotop hotspot in early years.

I think they just put an random address, and then made up a couple of phone numbers similar to those in the area to just have what was needed to make a reservation mainly.

I don't think pilots and air hostesses would be staying in the top 3 floors of this hotel. It was expensive, swanky and posh. Plus, I thought it was pretty much ruled out she wasn't an air hostess...? No-one from the airlines that flew to Oslo recognised her, I seem to recall.

She definitely had involvement with someone on another room. A newspaper with 2816 on was found in her room. I think that's likely where her suitcase and other belongings were. She may have he taken them there herself, during the 20 hours she was missing. She left her room....it doesn't mean she left the hotel.

With this mystery, I always wish that when the room attendant knocked, her had called for help on his radio instead of running off.
I
This is even stranger. Perhaps where I draw the line on this case.

Two crime scene photos; the same 'sterile' crime scene. The first photo taken by police as they opened the door, before anybody got in. The second photo once they were in the room.

There is quite clearly an object by the chair on the floor in the first photo, which is missing in the second; you can zoom right in for yourself (and I include the original untouched photo if you want to double check).

Moving an object in a potential murder crime scene would contravene CSI policy anywhere in the world.

Something stinks about this case. The security guard hiding for 15 minutes in a cubby after hearing a shot. The dates mix-up and confusion as to whether Jane Doe died Friday or Saturday; the food in her stomach just eaten according to pathologist but it was ordered 24 hours before she officially died. Mr F. The fact the head of security said a curtain was blowing but it was dark, when the sun sets two hours after that time in Norway in June.

There is a cover up here somewhere. And that means this person could be absolutely anyone from anywhere, Belgium or otherwise.

What are these objects on the floor? Bullet casings? If so, they aren't officially counted for in the police reports. Something else that an officer or agent felt pertinent to pick up? Then what...?

I so completely agree with you.

Disagree completely. I would say it is definitely a murder however I don't believe for a moment the hotel was in on it... That is conspiracy crazy thought!

What I think this is - a "mercy killing". She knew she was going to die and her partner killed her to spare her a worse death/torture by other people. So it's close to suicide, but a murder.

Nope, sorry, I just don't agree. There is simply zero evidence to suggest that. None at all. Also, I've never, ever heard of this type of "mercy killing". When has it ever happened before?

There is lots to rule that out, in fact, such as no signs of a struggle. And why two rounds fired? The most persuasive evidence against such a theory is the fact that the trigger was still fully depressed by her thumb. If she was actually shot by someone else then they would have either have to had their hand over hers at the time or they would have had to have shot her and then removed the gun from their hand and placed it in hers whilst all the while keeping the trigger depressed. That is as close to impossible as you are ever going to get. I suppose at a stretch, a massive one, you could argue that she was shot by person unknown who then placed the gun in her hand whilst firing the second shot but that's extremely unlikely and I don't think it's even possible from the location of the bullet hole in the bed.

All of the above would require someone of supreme calmness and callousness. Try going to a range and firing a 9mm pistol with no hearing protection (if they'll even let you) - I've been involved with firearms for over 35 years and things being fired without ear defenders is a most unsettling experience, especially indoors. And then they'd need to escape the hotel almost certainly covered in blood and whilst, as far as they knew, all hell might be kicking off due to the fact that someone had just been shooting inside a busy hotel.

An open water swimmer would likely have a higher BMI from training (unless that IS a mistake with her height). The water in the Skagerrak is crazy, but perhaps someone dropped her close to shore.

The last name "Fergate"... I am curious how people are pronouncing this? Fur Gate? I wonder if it could be "Forgot"?
That actually kind of sounds like the dutch (Belgium & The Netherlands) word for ‘Forgot’: Vergeet. You can hear what it sounds like if you look it up on Google Translate.

That actually kind of sounds like the dutch (Belgium & The Netherlands) word for ‘Forgot’: Vergeet. You can hear what it sounds like if you look it up on Google Translate.

Wow! How strange....

There is a clear photo of Marie-Hélène with the same article in my post directly above. Her eyes are appear to be a golden light brown to hazel vs the blue "Jennifer Fairgate" was believed to have. I would not rule out based on this. Only noting.

Here is a crop of the photo from a montage: View attachment 315293

To compare MH and the UID:

Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 10.24.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 11.27.07 PM-modified.png

I do think they look verry verry much alike (hairline, eyebrows,…)

However, i noticed our UID doesn’t appear to have pierced earlobes (for earrings) in her post mortem… If you look for pictures of Marie Helene you find pictures with loop shaped earrings. They don’t seem to clip on…

There is a clear photo of Marie-Hélène with the same article in my post directly above. Her eyes are appear to be a golden light brown to hazel vs the blue "Jennifer Fairgate" was believed to have. I would not rule out based on this. Only noting.

Here is a crop of the photo from a montage: View attachment 315293

The newsrnd article says Marie-Hélène Audoye has "piercing green eyes". Eye color can be an imprecise descriptor however. Was "Jennifer's" eye color suggested by anyone who observed her alive, or only by a medical examiner or similar official post mortem?

Yes the gap is interesting...The lead receptionist is convinced that there was a man with her, when they checked in. I'm pretty sure she stayed at the hotel and just went to his room (or a third partyes). We have no reason to believe otherwise. No one in Oslo seemed to have seen her while she stayed at the hotel.

I love this case. I come back to it again and again. It’s like a movie.

Here is what I think happened. It’s an incomplete hypothesis but answers some of the questions that come up again and again, like the meal and the missing companion.

I think this was a politically motivated killing, by security services or a private operative purporting to be security services. I think it’s tangentially related to the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin, the Israeli prime minister, in November 1995, shortly after the signing of the second Oslo Accord in September 1995, which (arguably) attempted to broker peace between Israel and Palestine. The Oslo Accords are so called because much of the negotiation between Israel and Palestine took place in Oslo, with Norway acting as (again arguably) a neutral third party facilitator. I have tried and failed to find out where the various parties to the negotiations were staying during their time in Oslo, but it’s entirely plausible that the Oslo Plaza may have hosted closely guarded VIPs, including, potentially, Rabin himself. I’ve tried to track his movements through press reports but failed so far to find any specific reference to the first week of June 1995. Suffice to say, this is a hotel that was used regularly by diplomats and visiting foreign dignitaries, and the hotel security staff would be used to liaising and cooperating with outside security/close protection personnel.

There’s been a lot of speculation about what happened to Jennifer’s male companion Lois (imho this is actually Aloïs but was mistranscribed by whoever took the booking). Did he kill her? Was he staying in the same room? What happened to him? Did he even exist?

My belief is that Lois/Aloïs and Jennifer were working together, or that one of them was part of the other one’s cover story, and that they checked in together. I think they were identified as a threat to someone important and an operation to neutralise them was planned. (Alternatively, I think they may have been part of a close protection operation and were identified and neutralised by someone posing as security services.) The hotel security logs show that someone left the room at some point (twice, iirc) so it seems to me that Aloïs left at some point but was dealt with and disposed of elsewhere in the hotel or the city and never returned. The fact that we’ve never heard anything more about him imo means that that all went according to plan and he was excised smoothly from the story.

Spooked by her companion’s non-reappearance, I’m speculating that Jennifer stayed holed up in her room to prevent anyone from, e.g., garotting her in an empty stairwell and smuggling her out in a laundry trolley. She eked out her room service meal over two days because she didn’t know when it was next going to be safe to move. Eventually – perhaps because the arrival of the VIP alleged to be under threat was imminent – a decision was made to force her hand. Reception was asked to send a message about unpaid room service via the in-house system to try and get her to go down to reception with a credit card. I believe that request was spurious because of the large sum of cash we know she gave to the maid who delivered her room service, which – depending on its order of magnitude – may have been payment for the meal itself or may also have been a tip for getting a message delivered discreetly to someone elsewhere in the hotel or beyond. Either way, reception does as they are asked while hotel security plus/minus external operatives wait for her to emerge… except that she doesn’t. She acknowledges each message but doesn’t react. After three attempts someone makes the decision to force entry to the room and neutralise her.

If I think about what might have happened next, I find myself noticing the muddled testimony from the part-time security guard/student, who was hiding something imo. What exactly? Well, here are some suggestions. Perhaps he was persuaded to corroborate a cover story that he couldn’t back away from later for fear of perjury charges, e.g. “Let’s say we had to go in because we thought we heard a gunshot.” Perhaps the reason he didn’t use his two-way radio is because everyone had been told to turn them off to avoid alerting Jennifer - but if he explained that it would blow the covert aspects of what unfolded (or the fact that they had been bamboozled into believing this was an authorised covert operation when it was actually a murder). Perhaps he was sent back downstairs by a colleague (or an outside agent) to keep him from knowing – and blabbing – too much. Or perhaps the poor scared boy absented himself to throw up in a stairwell and his colleagues agreed that they’d cover for him by excluding that from their account of what happened. Any of these, or a combination, might explain the inconsistencies his narrative presents. He is still active on the internet saying he feels a sense of responsibility towards the UID, btw, which suggests to me that some aspect of what happened eats at him.

Whatever the details, once they were in the room, Jennifer was despatched, the gun was wiped and arranged, the scene was staged, various things were moved for whatever reason, perhaps mistakes were made in haste (e.g. the clothes bag was removed instead of the ammunition bag). Any outside agents present then removed themselves from the scene and the hotel called the police and reported an apparent suicide.

Pure speculation/JMO obviously. (Except that Rabin was assassinated 5 months later.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow