GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they can. Because they did!

As for me, some suspected a hoax before she even turned up safe. But I didn’t until she showed up. After hearing her story, I was certain it was b.s. The reasons:

1. Traffickers don’t kidnap middle class blonde women from residential neighborhoods. It’s too much of a risk for them. They want easy prey. She doesn’t come remotely close to the demographic preyed upon by traffickers.
2. She wasn’t trafficked. According to her, she was just held for two weeks. Not sexually assaulted. Not sold. No motive for taking her.
3. She was released on the very day her husband promised she’d come back.
4. She was released from the hospital within hours. If she had been so badly tortured and injured, she would have been kept there, IMO, for longer.
5. She had a story in which she heroically attacked her captor who did not retaliate for being attacked.
6. Her husband claimed her head had been shaved but it looked to be in a cute bob when photos were shown of her, post-“release.”
7. She harmed herself when younger and falsely accused her mom of doing it.
8. She apparently wrote a racist screed on a white nationalist site showing her disgust of “Mexicans” and one in which she was both victim and hero in the narrative which was similar to the kidnap narrative.
9. She’s a good storyteller, as her wedding blog showed.
10. Given the then huge hype about traffickers targeting ordinary white women and children (which has no evidence and comes from a historic, racist and misogynistic construct), her narrative seemed suspiciously opportunistic.
Certainly Papini was NOT trafficked and she was ignorant of the subject. Pity she isn't sharing a cell with Ghislaine Maxwell, an expert on trafficking.

Last edited:
I have a difficult time understanding why she pulled this stunt. According to the ex-boyfriend, he picked her up and drove her to his apartment, where she spent most of the time sitting in a darkened bedroom where the windows were boarded up. No tv, alone during the day while he worked, no going outdoors. Sounded like a miserable, boring time. So why do it?
She wasn't getting enough attention at home.

She wasn't getting enough attention at home.

maybe she was tired of being a mom and a housewife and wanted a break. obviously she preferred a dark room without any stimuli to her prior life.
That said, trying to figure out such a dark disturbed personality is an
Exercise in futility. I think she is just evil. <modsnip>

The link states these two points that I didn't find in the 55 page Federal Criminal Complaint and Arrest Warrant that Ranch posted:

1. According to the arrest affidavit, Papini confessed to making up her story after being confronted with Reyes' testimony

2. It is believed she and Keith have separated.

Is that information somewhere else or is it a bit of creative writing by Daily Mail?

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe she was tired of being a mom and a housewife and wanted a break. obviously she preferred a dark room without any stimuli to her prior life.

I thought it was interesting that she napped the whole way to her exs house. Not a care in the world.

Wow! Had no idea it went that far back. It's floated and repeated every time a missing female report emerges, certainly in the 25+ years I've followed cases. It was one of the first theories mentioned in the Papini case, naturally.

I've often wondered why it continues to prevail today, when research shows it's not high on the Fed's list, and we've never followed a case where that's what happened. Have we learned nothing from all these cases, over all these years? It's the quintessential zebras vs horses, when hearing hooves. At least the Fed knows what they're doing, even if it takes years to sort things out.

It’s exciting for some to think that there are bands of dusky villains out looking for middle class white women and children to snatch. Many women post videos about how such people were trying to snatch them or their kids in Ikea or whatever. If and when the cops are called in such situations they tend to not take it seriously.

But the hysterical stories of being followed in Ikea by men staring at their kids (you kind of have to walk the same direction at IKEA and the kids might be acting up. Who knows), or at them get a ton of attention and shares. It confirms some people’s biases.

I am guessing she called KP on one of those pre-paid phones prior to arriving back home in Redding.

It was LE that actually called KP, the morning she was miraculously found:

''When he got the call from a California Highway Patrol officer, he said in an interview with 20/20‘s Matt Gutman, “It was my wife screaming in the background, yelling my name.” He added that he remembered thinking, “I already know it’s her. I can tell her voice." Sherri Papini’s Husband Keith Recalls Their First Phone Call: ‘I Love You, Oh my God, You’re Here’

I'm pretty sure she tossed the Secret Boyfriend phone asap.
I mean, you can't just go around having a Secret Boyfriend phone when you've returned from being kidnapped. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The link states these two points that I didn't find in the 55 page Federal Criminal Complaint and Arrest Warrant that Ranch posted:

1. According to the arrest affidavit, Papini confessed to making up her story after being confronted with Reyes' testimony

Is that information somewhere else or is it a bit of creative writing by Daily Mail?
I haven't seen that information anywhere else, but it seems as if

#1 is not true or it would have been included in the compliant. I'm guessing, but it doesn't make sense to leave it out, if it happened.

#2 hopefully is true. For obvious mental health reasons for himself and kids.

jmo

Well in the 55 page document it refers to him as the former husband and then says “husband” going forward.

Remember how a local newspaper (modbee.com) had a Sep 16 2016 article showing mugshots of two Hispanic gals who held men captive on a MJ farm? And the gals looked just like SP’s 2017 description of her Hispanic abductors?

And some of us were saying this little “Keep Walking” always-a-victim gal probably started to devise her plan after she saw the kidnapper gals’ mugshots in the local paper?

(I can’t link the modbee article since it requires a subscription.)

I have no doubt that as of summer 2017, investigators knew SP’s story was just a steaming pile of bs. But it was so hard to prove she was lying!

So it is absolutely stunning how family DNA and cops bird-dogging a DNA match led to finally arresting SP. Good job LE!

Great memory!! I did not recall that at all.

Police: Women arrested after 4 men held at Calif. pot farm, forced to work

Attachments

• 05EEBEEC-0C51-4F01-8CB2-E2C30EC1CC96.jpeg
    05EEBEEC-0C51-4F01-8CB2-E2C30EC1CC96.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 48
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article259058743.html

Sherri Louise Papini, the Redding woman accused of fabricating her November 2016 kidnapping and then lying to the FBI about it, made her first court appearance Friday in Sacramento and was ordered to remain in custody at least until Tuesday.

He added that Papini had told her jailers about her dietary restrictions but “has not been able to eat since she was detained yesterday morning.”

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

To clarify for some members who don't know how these threads get started ... the Opening Post of each thread in this discussion is a copy of Tricia's original post that started Thread #1. It is dated October 29, 2017. That original post continues to carry through on all subsequent threads so that members know the beginning of the story.

Tricia's initial stance about treating Sherry Papini as a victim was totally in line with Websleuths' long standing policy of treating a person like a victim UNTIL we know otherwise..

Obviously, now that Sherri has been charged, she no longer falls into the category of victim as per Websleuths' Victim Friendly policy.

Any questions in that regard, please use the Report feature to ask or message a Mod or Admin for clarification.

Thanks.

She wanted a break? I wanted a break once, went to the Marriott for the night, but phoned home first (well, after I ate a steak, medium-rare)

Late Sunday morning in Australia. My husband is away for the weekend. Speaking this morning, he asked me what I'd been doing. He got the entire SP story. She is such a liar. I'm sure people around her, who have known her for a long time, must have heavily suspected something like this. Some of her many previous lies have been outrageous too. They knew, or should of.

She wanted a break? I wanted a break once, went to the Marriott for the night, but phoned home first (well, after I ate a steak, medium-rare)

your idea of a break is what most normal people
Think about--- SP is real far away from being a normal
Person!!!

your idea of a break is what most normal people
Think about--- SP is real far away from being a normal
Person!!!
You are so right. I think many of us know a person somewhat like SP. Do we sympathize with women who irrationally crave attention and pull outrageous stunts? I doubt this was her first odd experience. If she was prone to attention-seeking behavior, what would her family do? Tell her to "Stop doing that?"

You are so right. I think many of us know a person somewhat like SP. Do we sympathize with women who irrationally crave attention and pull outrageous stunts? I doubt this was her first odd experience. If she was prone to attention-seeking behavior, what would her family do? Tell her to "Stop doing that?"

I can honestly say I don't know anybody like SP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288