2nd Grader Suspended For Drawing Figure Firing Gun

White Rain

Reaction score
This is ridiculous.

DENNIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. — A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension.
Kyle Walker, 7, was suspended last week for violating Dennis Township Primary School's zero-tolerance policy on guns, the boy's mother, Shirley McDevitt, told The Press of Atlantic City.
Kyle gave the picture to another child on the school bus, and that child's parents complained about it to school officials, McDevitt said. Her son told her the drawing was of a water gun, she said.
A photocopy of the picture provided by McDevitt showed two stick figures with one pointing a crude-looking gun at the other, the newspaper said. What appeared to be the word "me" was written above the shooter, with another name scribbled above the other figure. more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303796,00.html

This is ridiculous.

DENNIS TOWNSHIP, N.J. — A second-grader's drawing of a stick figure shooting a gun earned him a one-day school suspension.
Kyle Walker, 7, was suspended last week for violating Dennis Township Primary School's zero-tolerance policy on guns, the boy's mother, Shirley McDevitt, told The Press of Atlantic City.
Kyle gave the picture to another child on the school bus, and that child's parents complained about it to school officials, McDevitt said. Her son told her the drawing was of a water gun, she said.
A photocopy of the picture provided by McDevitt showed two stick figures with one pointing a crude-looking gun at the other, the newspaper said. What appeared to be the word "me" was written above the shooter, with another name scribbled above the other figure. more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303796,00.html

Absolutely beyond the ridiculous!!! Geesh., my son had a total fascination with Great White Sharks and drew pictures of attacks, blood, and some stick figure yelling for help. Was he a threat to society at the young age of 7? I do not think so! He was a child, fer gawd sakes.

This "political correct" stuff is out of control. Next thing you know we'll be reading about some poor family who decorated for Halloween and were labeled offensive. Oh, wait. Been there, read that. I suppose I should be careful hanging that goofy flying witch that smashed into a tree/building? After all, isn't that a violent slam against a Wiccan??? Anyone care about that?

We are losing perspective of just *being*. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. No more, no less. I truly hate how we are losing the simple fun of life. Cartoon drawings from a child to just having fun with a non holiday.

People need to lighten up and enjoy more. Life is to damn short. Just say'in...;)

This is absurd. My first reaction would be concern,maybe having the child sit with a school counselor,and gently trying to find out if there is violence in the home,at this time,after talking to the boy, they would have realized he mean't a water gun,and the issue would be over...but nooooo,they immediately put him on suspension.Craziness.

Absolutely beyond the ridiculous!!! Geesh., my son had a total fascination with Great White Sharks and drew pictures of attacks, blood, and some stick figure yelling for help. Was he a threat to society at the young age of 7? I do not think so! He was a child, fer gawd sakes.

This "political correct" stuff is out of control. Next thing you know we'll be reading about some poor family who decorated for Halloween and were labeled offensive. Oh, wait. Been there, read that. I suppose I should be careful hanging that goofy flying witch that smashed into a tree/building? After all, isn't that a violent slam against a Wiccan??? Anyone care about that?

We are losing perspective of just *being*. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. No more, no less. I truly hate how we are losing the simple fun of life. Cartoon drawings from a child to just having fun with a non holiday.

People need to lighten up and enjoy more. Life is to damn short. Just say'in...;)

I was with you up until you mentioned cigars, then I started thinking politics for some reason. :D :D

Anyway, I agree. The dummy/noose halloween decoration shouldn't have had to come down, and this little boy shouldn't have been suspended!!!

I totally understand how schools feel the need to be on top of potential violence, but I can bet you this kid isn't the one they should be focusing on in that classroom or school. They are probably totally overlooking the real potential problem kid.

Still, I warn my son to keep his jokes, silly comments, drawings including anything with fighting etc to himself and only at home!

My son is 7 and he likes to hunt, actually he likes to do whatever his dad does and his dad likes to hunt. So he draws pictures of guys hunting, which is basically a stick figure holding a gun. I'm glad his teacher hasn't misinterpreted any meaning behind them, because there is none, just a 7 yr old who thinks his dad is cool.

Are they going to throw him into the slammer with the little girl who drew a flower on her doorstep?

This world is becoming more ridiculous every second!

Sami

Wow, I'm surprised I'm the only who agrees with the repercussions.
The kid drew a picture of a gun with the word ME above it, come on!. If someone gave that to my son, I'd be quite miffed about it too.
What is a 7 year old doing and thinking to make him want to do that. Drawing sharks is a little different than drawing a picture representing the boy shooting someone.

My 7 year old nephew is suspended now for 10 days, and lucky that it wasn't for the rest of the year, because he brought a toy gun to school and threatened someone with it. I think he absolutely should have been suspended to let him know that guns are serious, but as for this little guy, kids draw guns all the time. It's not because they are psycho's in the making, it's because most kids have toy guns, they see guns on television, they have them in the video games, they don't see them for the danger that they are.

I think a lot of posters who are older grew up with old western movies and played cowboys. I know I did. Sometimes we had play guns and sometimes we had a stick. It didn't mean we were going to shoot someone in real life. If you have a teenager who is withdrawn, hates other people, has a cache of weapons, and has told someone he wants to kill others, a drawing of a gun would be serious. But a small child in second grade drawing a picture of a gun! This is ridiculous. I think we have some nuts in our schools and it isn't always the kids.

I'm tellin ya, we're not going to be able to take a whiz in our own backs yards, next. (Well, I don't, but my boys and hubby do sometimes! LOL!) This is just lunacy. People have lost all perspective and common sense and worse, they can't see what this kind of thing is paving the way for.

Eve

There is something greatly amiss in our culture these days and we see it daily in the forums below. Many are in denial and just see it as a gun problem or other easy to pinpoint solutions without trying to get down to the roots of the cause.

My guess the cause lies in the lost of sacredness of life along with the notion of entitlements. What are the hidden messages that my be receive erroneously in our youth today. For some reason we are producing this aberrant behavior and I don't think the pc-friendly experts are looking in the right directions.

Wow, I'm surprised I'm the only who agrees with the repercussions.
The kid drew a picture of a gun with the word ME above it, come on!. If someone gave that to my son, I'd be quite miffed about it too.
What is a 7 year old doing and thinking to make him want to do that. Drawing sharks is a little different than drawing a picture representing the boy shooting someone.

The child is 7 years old. Children live for imagination, pretend playing, and action. And, they should be allowed to do so. I do not, in any sense of the word, believe this child is a psychopath in the making! Frankly, if you saw the drawings my son made of shark attacks, you would think at that age he was of sick mind. He was/is not. He was simply a child who was fascinated by this incredible animal and the power it had over it's victims. No matter who he named the victim as being. No hurt was intended. It was a play in his mind. Pretend. A child who had no true concept of what a White Shark was possible of. He learned as he grew older. Isn't that what we desire our children to be/do? Grow and learn as they can over time?

They are kids. They grow out of every stage as they mature and realize what is "real" vs imagination. This judgment is out of control. Why and when did we lose that not all fit in some horrific mold?

As always, my very humble opinion. :)

There is a difference between pretend gun play in a school and a drawing of a gun.

Freedom of artistic expression should apply to children as well.

This is just so sad.

And with all this, administrators and teachers and everyone else is wasting time. There are far more pressing needs in any school than this.

Ridiculous!

Another obvious case of Chicken Little behaviors. When I was 6,7 and 8, WE made guns out of two clothespins. The long stiff kind with two sorta legs that clamped over the clothesline. You just stuck the legs together at an angle and you had a GUN, except when your mother needed to hang up wet clothes on the clothesline, then you used your finger to shoot with and moms broom to ride the range with Roy Rogers.

One side you held like the handle of the gun, the other clothespin pointed at YOUR victim, and you hollered BANG BANG yer ded. I managed to grow up without killing anyone, can you believe it? My brothers did not kill anyone either except in WWII, one in the Navy and the other in the Army.

The world is populated by ignoramuses, some of whom hang out in the principals office of the local school house.:loser:

I suppose the ancient cave teachers were horrified when they found this drawing on the wall! That one bow and arrow is pointed at a person!
odb60-13.gif

:p

This really is absurd alright--A second-grader!--I remember being in second grade and I always drew pictures of planes dropping bombs--lol--and that's the ONLY thing I remember about those years

This really is absurd alright--A second-grader!--I remember being in second grade and I always drew pictures of planes dropping bombs--lol--and that's the ONLY thing I remember about those years

Oh my, are you a KAMIKAZE or something worse?

Kids today. Sheesh!

When I was a kid, we played "Tag, the Assassination Game." That's when you could get water guns that looked like real pistols. I wish I still had mine. It was cool. You would get a list of people to "assassinate," and, of course, people would be looking to assassinate you, too. I was killed on my way to a babysitting job.

The next day we started all over. We would have been so expelled.

Oh, and the kid I babysat? He liked to chew his toast into the shape of a gun and shoot people with it. He's probably a murderer now.

The world is becoming really boring for kids today. Yes, there is a lot of violence, but most kids are just kids. They play war (how could they not?) and robbers and aliens and all kinds of things. Or at least, they used to. Now they can't even draw without getting busted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back