Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Pressure Mounts On Academy To Release SECRET Three-Second Video Of The Will Smith-Chris Rock Slap That Rocked The Oscars

Pressure Mounts On Academy To Release SECRET Three-Second Video Of The Will Smith-Chris Rock Slap That Rocked The Oscars

It’s the three seconds of tape that only Academy bosses have seen. Crucial unseen video showing what Jada Pinkett Smith said to Will Smith in the seconds before he charged the Oscars stage and slapped Chris Rock is central to the Academy of Motion Pictures’ investigation— but has yet to be publicly released, Radar has learned.

The main camera remained on Rock for at least three seconds before Will stormed the stage, a Hollywood source told Radar.

“We know there was a camera right in front of Will and Jada,” the insider said.

“Someone needs to force the hand of the gatekeepers to release the missing video after the cutaway (television speak, for a shot that cuts away from the main action to a separate or secondary action).

“An analysis of the video in slow motion shows Will not only laughing at Rock's joke but also clapping. The video of what happened during the next three seconds afterward needs to be released; it's a multi-camera setup.

“Jada did something major that snapped him out of genuine laughter. He was never looking at her as you can see in the video before the director cut back to Rock.”

Quoting my post

Is this what has not been seen the reason for WS to resign?

Quoting my post

Is this what has not been seen the reason for WS to resign?
I think the resignation is what PR people call 'getting in front of the problem'. It's pretty clear now, it's not being forgotten by people, it's gathering steam. If the Academy board were to meet in a month to collectively decide and vote, that would mean a month+ of leaks, rumours, as pro WS and anti-WS forces try to influence other board members.

As said above, IMO the brand 'WS' should be higher than ever with winning best actor, instead it's getting major flak. Every word he says, every image he posts will be examined critically in the media.

He has 63 million followers on Instagram. The Academy means nothing compared with the power of having 63 million people idolizing him.

JMO

Here’s a new slant on why. :eek:o_O Crikey!

The Academy Awards slap has reignited a vigorous conversation — particularly amongst black Americans and here too in Australia, amongst Indigenous people — that Smith was striking out against a history of racism and brutalisation of black people, particularly women.

That Rock is also black only complicates the matter: the comedian, it is said, has internalised racism that makes it OK to mock the appearance of black women.
Clearly Smith and Rock are fabulously wealthy, privileged and famous black people, but that doesn't mean they cannot also be scarred by racism.
Race and racism runs deep in America — and Chris Rock and Will Smith

The Academy Awards slap has reignited a vigorous conversation — particularly amongst black Americans and here too in Australia, amongst Indigenous people — that Smith was striking out against a history of racism and brutalisation of black people, particularly women.

That Rock is also black only complicates the matter: the comedian, it is said, has internalised racism that makes it OK to mock the appearance of black women.
Clearly Smith and Rock are fabulously wealthy, privileged and famous black people, but that doesn't mean they cannot also be scarred by racism.

Just a bunch of bull malarky.

Jmo

Racism? Someone is reaching and doing too much ‘splaining.

If this wasn't so disgusting, it would be funny. How about just accepting responsibility for your effed up behavior WS? .. and same for the Academy .. you screwed up in how you have chosen to handle this whole situation .. over and over and over. I just can't comprehend the total lack of class from all of them.

The comparison is to a strong, successful woman! How is that mocking?

So do descendants of the American citizens of Japanese descent racially incarcerated during WWII react with violence at any point?

Do the descendants of Irish immigrants, Italian immigrants, Easter European immigrants, Catholics, Jews, all subject to racial violence and brutalization, any of these groups react with violence today?

And -- Native Americans? Racism & brutalization there, too, looking through the suggested lens.

Now if Jada had slapped Mr. Rock herself, well, my perspective might be different.

Are there a lot of 'free passes' coming?

jmho ymmv lrr

I think the resignation is what PR people call 'getting in front of the problem'. It's pretty clear now, it's not being forgotten by people, it's gathering steam. If the Academy board were to meet in a month to collectively decide and vote, that would mean a month+ of leaks, rumours, as pro WS and anti-WS forces try to influence other board members.

As said above, IMO the brand 'WS' should be higher than ever with winning best actor, instead it's getting major flak. Every word he says, every image he posts will be examined critically in the media.

He has 63 million followers on Instagram. The Academy means nothing compared with the power of having 63 million people idolizing him.

JMO
He burnt down his own bridge that night
IMO.

@Laughing

It’s as if some folks will come up with anything to justify wrong doing as if that makes it OK.

Jmo

I am glad CR & WS are the same race I can’t imagine where this would be if not.

Jmo

Wonder what WS would have done if Jason Momoa was the presenter & joke teller.

Jmo

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days actually. There have been quite a few black women who have said this week that there is a racism element to this and they felt someone was standing up for them. I didn’t understand it at first, but I’m not a black woman, so I’m not going to understand. It’s not for me to say if how they feel is right or wrong. It has really hit a nerve with black women, and it’s clear to me there is something that I can’t truly get as a white woman.

It’s not an excuse for what WS did. There should be consequences, and most people are saying exactly that. But a discussion about why this struck a chord not with just JPS, but with many black women, is not a bad thing IMO. Saying inherited trauma caused him to do it is a stretch IMO, but I absolutely do believe inherited trauma is real. I think it’s a fascinating theory, but that’s off topic…

It changes nothing for me that it was WRONG for WS to assault CR and he should pay the price. He will. I don’t care if he loses his Oscar—that was for acting and he earned it so whatever. The Smiths also do have a reputation for being entitled, and I think that does play a huge part in this. There will be a lot of people in Hollywood who won’t want anything to do with them.

There are probably a lot of factors going into this bad behavior. It’s not for me to say race had no part. That would be saying all these women’s feelings aren’t valid. I don’t think CR intended to put a black woman down or whatever, but it doesn’t mean that engrained racism wasn’t a factor. If not a factor for the actual joke, then at least for the reception of the joke. Anyway, just my take on it.

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days actually. There have been quite a few black women who have said this week that there is a racism element to this and they felt someone was standing up for them. I didn’t understand it at first, but I’m not a black woman, so I’m not going to understand. It’s not for me to say if how they feel is right or wrong. It has really hit a nerve with black women, and it’s clear to me there is something that I can’t truly get as a white woman.

It’s not an excuse for what WS did. There should be consequences, and most people are saying exactly that. But a discussion about why this struck a chord not with just JPS, but with many black women, is not a bad thing IMO. Saying inherited trauma caused him to do it is a stretch IMO, but I absolutely do believe inherited trauma is real. I think it’s a fascinating theory, but that’s off topic…

It changes nothing for me that it was WRONG for WS to assault CR and he should pay the price. He will. I don’t care if he loses his Oscar—that was for acting and he earned it so whatever. The Smiths also do have a reputation for being entitled, and I think that does play a huge part in this. There will be a lot of people in Hollywood who won’t want anything to do with them.

There are probably a lot of factors going into this bad behavior. It’s not for me to say race had no part. That would be saying all these women’s feelings aren’t valid. I don’t think CR intended to put a black woman down or whatever, but it doesn’t mean that engrained racism wasn’t a factor. If not a factor for the actual joke, then at least for the reception of the joke. Anyway, just my take on it.
Or, could it be that people are using this to push their own agendas?

I hardly dare comment, as like you I don't know. But isn't that also a problem? We can't tell people how to feel so how can we even dare to question their motives?

It's a tough one.

Or, could it be that people are using this to push their own agendas?

I hardly dare comment, as like you I don't know. But isn't that also a problem? We can't tell people how to feel so how can we even dare to question their motives?

It's a tough one.
Yes, it’s a tough one. As long as he isn’t EXCUSED for what he did, I am open to trying to understand it more. Most people aren’t condoning what he did, whether they felt the joke was out of bounds or not. The actions were wrong, period. But so many women were truly offended by what I saw was just a silly joke, that I think their feelings shouldn’t be ignored.

Interesting read.. rbbm.
Will Smith’s slap sparks debate on defense of Black women | Miami Herald
''After returning to his seat, Smith twice shouted at Rock, “keep my wife’s name out your (expletive) mouth.” Baruch College professor Shelly Eversley said Smith’s language toward Rock left her questioning whether the actor’s motivation for slapping the comedian was an act of love. “‘My wife' — get my wife’s name out of your mouth — is a logic of property ownership,” said Eversley, who is interim chair of Baruch’s Black and Latino Studies program. “In the history of racial slavery and violence against Black women, we can certainly see all the ways in which Black women in particular have been treated as property,” she said. “For Black men to do it does not make it any better than when white people do it.”

''Still, times have changed. Today, behavior like Smith’s slap at the Oscars is more likely to be condemned as a consequence of an unchecked ego than to be cheered as a righteous defense of a Black woman, Eversley said. “Jada Pinkett (Smith) is not a damsel in distress,” she said. “The idea that somehow Will Smith should be applauded for treating her as if she doesn’t have a voice or doesn’t have her own agency is also a problem.” “That he can get away with that kind of violence on national television, go back to his seat, receive an award and then go party,” Eversley continued, “suggests to me that even the tears about defending his wife aren’t really about defending his wife but his own ego.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article259943725.html#storylink=cpy

There are a number of people speaking out online who believe that Will is a victim of Jada, and this is only the latest episode of her 'controlling' Will.

Grown adults are responsible for their own actions, period. No matter how someone treats you, you control your feet, your hands and your mouth. WS has shown appalling judgement, and has displayed his own narcissism. There's no need for him to borrow his wife's as cover!

I'm neither a black woman, nor a fan of JPS, but let's be real here about who needs to be held accountable. I wish the Academy would handle this swiftly. Hollywood's PR machines appear to be spinning. Look at all the finger pointing just in this thread! We should be looking out for the distractions and perception management that may be forthcoming.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back