TX TX - Cheryl Bowman, 89UFTX, murdered, Harris County, Nov 1989

SolVic

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but this cold case always bothered me due to how obscure it is.

On November 26, 1989, the body of a woman was discovered in a ditch in Harris County. The only things to identify her with were her painted nails, her jewelry, and her teeth. That’s because the top part of her face had been battered to the point of resembling jelly, leaving her unrecognizable. She became known as 89UFTX, or “Red Nails”. The resulting sketch is one of the most unsettling things I’ve ever had the misfortune of seeing.

3A6EA54F-2D16-4E88-B347-94D7B8B57292.jpeg

In 2005, she was identified as Cheryl Bowman. She was a drifter who had cut ties with her family. As far as I know, her killer has never been identified.

And that’s all we know.

No estimated age. No actual age. No time of death. No date of birth. Not even a photo. Despite how violent her murder was, she faded into obscurity, only surviving as a brief mention on the Doe Network and a few instances on the Internet to discuss how creepy the drawing of her is. There used to be a thread here about this case, but it appears to have been recently deleted.

Cheryl’s murder seems to have been mentioned in the Houston Chronicle. On November 27, 1989, an article titled “Decomposed body found” reads as follows:

“A woman’s decomposed body was found early Sunday by people searching for aluminum cans near a roadside in far west Houston. The body, face down, was discovered about 7 a.m. in the 11200 block of Clay Road near Addicks Reservoir. The woman was wearing faded a denim shirt festooned with lace and bead embroidery, faded blue jeans and white sandals. The cause of death was not known, but Houston police said they believed the woman was killed before being dumped in the remote area.”

Hopefully, there are more newspaper articles out there about this homicide. If I had my face destroyed to the point of being unidentifiable and then quickly forgotten about, I’d be enraged. Cheryl deserves better than this.

Let’s find out more about this victim.

It should be noted Cheryl is not to be confused with this lady: TX - TX - Houston, Wht/HispFem 17-30, 95UFTX, upper & lower braces, clothes, shoes, watch, Nov'89

Not only was her face not destroyed beyond recognition, but she also wasn’t found in a ditch and had different clothing, as well as no jewelry (aside from a watch).

With that being said, however, the fact two bodies were found on the same day seems like too much of a coincidence for me. It’s entirely possible that they were both killed by the same person.

Last edited:
Cheryl’s murder seems to have been mentioned in the Houston Chronicle. On November 27, 1989, an article titled “Decomposed body found” reads as follows:

“A woman’s decomposed body was found early Sunday by people searching for aluminum cans near a roadside in far west Houston. The body, face down, was discovered about 7 a.m. in the 11200 block of Clay Road near Addicks Reservoir. The woman was wearing faded a denim shirt festooned with lace and bead embroidery, faded blue jeans and white sandals. The cause of death was not known, but Houston police said they believed the woman was killed before being dumped in the remote area.”

RSBBM
Please provide a link to the article you cited as it is a requirement for keeping the thread open.

Also, in terms of researching Cheryl's case, you might consider contacting The Doe Network to ask whether they would provide you with more information such as links that were displayed on her UID page and/or information they used to confirm her ID. You might also ask Doe Network to give you contact information for the investigating agency (e.g., Houston PD, Texas Rangers, FBI, etc.). I'd start with the investigator seeing as it's possible Cheryl's case may have already been solved. MOO

HTH. Good luck with your research!

Doe Network Identified
89UFTX was located on November 26, 1989 in Harris County, Texas and later identified as Cheryl Bowman.

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but this cold case always bothered me due to how obscure it is.

On November 26, 1989, the body of a woman was discovered in a ditch in Harris County. The only things to identify her with were her painted nails, her jewelry, and her teeth. That’s because the top part of her face had been battered to the point of resembling jelly, leaving her unrecognizable. She became known as 89UFTX, or “Red Nails”. The resulting sketch is one of the most unsettling things I’ve ever had the misfortune of seeing.

View attachment 338729

In 2005, she was identified as Cheryl Bowman. She was a drifter who had cut ties with her family. As far as I know, her killer has never been identified.

And that’s all we know.

No estimated age. No actual age. No time of death. No date of birth. Not even a photo. Despite how violent her murder was, she faded into obscurity, only surviving as a brief mention on the Doe Network and a few instances on the Internet to discuss how creepy the drawing of her is. There used to be a thread here about this case, but it appears to have been recently deleted.

Hopefully, there are more newspaper articles out there about this homicide. If I had my face destroyed to the point of being unidentifiable and then quickly forgotten about, I’d be enraged. Cheryl deserves better than this.

Let’s find out more about this victim.

So we are looking for her killer?

RSBBM
Please provide a link to the article you cited as it is a requirement for keeping the thread open.

Also, in terms of researching Cheryl's case, you might consider contacting The Doe Network to ask whether they would provide you with more information such as links that were displayed on her UID page and/or information they used to confirm her ID. You might also ask Doe Network to give you contact information for the investigating agency (e.g., Houston PD, Texas Rangers, FBI, etc.). I'd start with the investigator seeing as it's possible Cheryl's case may have already been solved. MOO

HTH. Good luck with your research!

Doe Network Identified
89UFTX was located on November 26, 1989 in Harris County, Texas and later identified as Cheryl Bowman.
Search Results | Houston Chronicle Archives

There’s the article. “Decomposed body found”. It requires an account to read, though. Fortunately, someone was kind enough to send me the text.

I’ve also contacted the Doe Network, but I haven’t gotten a response yet. Same with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

There’s the article. “Decomposed body found”. It requires an account to read, though. Fortunately, someone was kind enough to send me the text.

I’ve also contacted the Doe Network, but I haven’t gotten a response yet. Same with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

Doesn't link to a specific article for me, but to a search on the term Decomposed.

Not a subscriber, though.

Any luck around the dates in the Texas newspaper archives?

jmho ymmv lrr

Doesn't link to a specific article for me, but to a search on the term Decomposed.

Not a subscriber, though.

Any luck around the dates in the Texas newspaper archives?

jmho ymmv lrr
If you scroll down, you should be able to find the article pretty easily. If not, I’ll upload a screenshot.

As for the Texas newspaper articles, no such luck yet. I’ll definitely need help from my fellow sleuths.

Who did you email with Doe? I'm an admin, what can I do for you.

From archived Texas Missing Persons Clearing house Online Bulletin (via the WaybackMachine - 2/3/2002):

Photos at link

Unidentified Person's Details

Case Number: U9207013
NIC #: U581345157
Agency: Harris County Medical Examiner
Date Found: 11/26/1989
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
Cause of Death: Unknown
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 3" - 5' 5"
Weight: 95 lbs. - 105 lbs.
Eye Color: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown
State Found: Texas
Country Found: USA
Clothing: Blue long-sleeved blouse with white lace yoke, black bikini panties, and white sandals. Jewelry found consists of four gold chains, a gold heart-shaped pendant with a clear stone, four gold rings, six silver bracelets, one gold bracelet, one gold bracelet with 35 clear stones, one gold earring wih a clear stone and a watch.
Miscellaneous:
Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

ETA: Change original date from WB Machine to 2002. She was still on the site in 2003 and 2004 but gone in 2005

Last edited:
From archived Texas Missing Persons Clearing house Online Bulletin (via the WaybackMachine - 2/3/2003):

Photos at link

Unidentified Person's Details

Case Number: U9207013
NIC #: U581345157
Agency: Harris County Medical Examiner
Date Found: 11/26/1989
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
Cause of Death: Unknown
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 3" - 5' 5"
Weight: 95 lbs. - 105 lbs.
Eye Color: Unknown
Hair Color: Brown
State Found: Texas
Country Found: USA
Clothing: Blue long-sleeved blouse with white lace yoke, black bikini panties, and white sandals. Jewelry found consists of four gold chains, a gold heart-shaped pendant with a clear stone, four gold rings, six silver bracelets, one gold bracelet, one gold bracelet with 35 clear stones, one gold earring wih a clear stone and a watch.
Miscellaneous:
Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection
You amazing person! The age estimate places her as much older than I thought. I was also surprised that she was white. She looked Hispanic to me.

Last edited:
From DN via Wayback Machine 7/10/2004 (probably not helpful - same info as above post)

The Doe Network:
Case File 89UFTX
Unidentified Caucasian Female
Located on November 26, 1989 in Harris County, Texas.
Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 40 - 50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3 - 5'5; 95 - 105 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
Dentals: N/A
Clothing: She was wearing a long-sleeved blue blouse with a white lace yoke and black bikini panties. The victim was wearing the following pieces of jewelry: four gold chains and a gold heart-shaped pendant with a clear stone (see sketch below). She was also wearing four gold rings; six silver bracelets; one plain gold bracelet; one gold bracelet with 35 clear stones; one gold earring with a clear stone; and a watch. These items can be seen in the first sketch of the victim, which appears at the top of this Case File.
Necklace
Sketch of victim's necklace
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this woman's identity, please contact:
Texas Department Of Public Safety
512-424-2811;
512-424-2812
OR
800-346-3243
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
NCIC Number:
U-581345157
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Wayback Machine

From DN via Wayback Machine 7/10/2004 (probably not helpful - same info as above post)

The Doe Network:
Case File 89UFTX
Unidentified Caucasian Female
Located on November 26, 1989 in Harris County, Texas.
Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 40 - 50 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3 - 5'5; 95 - 105 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
Dentals: N/A
Clothing: She was wearing a long-sleeved blue blouse with a white lace yoke and black bikini panties. The victim was wearing the following pieces of jewelry: four gold chains and a gold heart-shaped pendant with a clear stone (see sketch below). She was also wearing four gold rings; six silver bracelets; one plain gold bracelet; one gold bracelet with 35 clear stones; one gold earring with a clear stone; and a watch. These items can be seen in the first sketch of the victim, which appears at the top of this Case File.
Necklace
Sketch of victim's necklace
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this woman's identity, please contact:
Texas Department Of Public Safety
512-424-2811;
512-424-2812
OR
800-346-3243
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
NCIC Number:
U-581345157
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Wayback Machine
I feel like we’re definitely getting somewhere. Cheryl won’t be forgotten.

2DF3DC48-F455-4F1F-9BC6-42AD40D1F569.jpeg
I figured that I’d include a screenshot of the Houston Chronicle’s article about her. Thanks to the information provided by @CCJD we can say that the woman described is conclusively Cheryl Bowman. Hopefully, there are more follow-up articles, especially describing the damage inflicted onto her face.

Also, assuming the estimated age is correct, Cheryl would’ve been born as early as 1939 or as late as 1949.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back