Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Yes, it’s a tough one. As long as he isn’t EXCUSED for what he did, I am open to trying to understand it more. Most people aren’t condoning what he did, whether they felt the joke was out of bounds or not. The actions were wrong, period. But so many women were truly offended by what I saw was just a silly joke, that I think their feelings shouldn’t be ignored.

You have a very open-minded, empathetic yet logical way of thinking that we all can learn a lot from, IMO. That statement you made the other day about the lack of civility that has been trending in our nation being “growing pains” really made sense and resonated with me.

There are a number of people speaking out online who believe that Will is a victim of Jada, and this is only the latest episode of her 'controlling' Will.

Grown adults are responsible for their own actions, period. No matter how someone treats you, you control your feet, your hands and your mouth. WS has shown appalling judgement, and has displayed his own narcissism. There's no need for him to borrow his wife's as cover!

I'm neither a black woman, nor a fan of JPS, but let's be real here about who needs to be held accountable. I wish the Academy would handle this swiftly. Hollywood's PR machines appear to be spinning. Look at all the finger pointing just in this thread! We should be looking out for the distractions and perception management that may be forthcoming.

Agreed. For some reason sometimes society likes to villainize women as the evil, treacherous cause of the downfall of a man. Like Eve tempting Adam to eat from the forbidden fruit.

It’s always the woman’s fault.

SNL was even more brutal last night:

“During his acceptance speech, Will Smith said love will make you do crazy things. You know what else makes you do crazy things? Crazy,” Che said. “But I understand where Will’s coming from. I mean, you can’t expect him to sit there and watch another man jump all over his wife — without signing an NDA.”:eek:

'SNL' Weekend Update Absolutely Roasts Will Smith for Oscars Slap (Video)

I don’t get that about the NDA. I’ve seen a few references to that. Was someone she was with forced to sign one?

I don’t get that about the NDA. I’ve seen a few references to that. Was someone she was with forced to sign one?
No one is sure. There is *rumor* that Will Smith has his dalliances sign one (Margot Robbie, for instance). And certainly talk that they should have made sure August Alsina signed one. Jada lied for years about August until she was forced to admit it when August himself came clean about it.

But there has been a plethora of jokes about the Smith's and NDAs the last few years.

IMO

I said when I witnessed WS smack CR across the face, we’ve had fires, floods, homes lost, a pandemic and lockdowns, lives lost, rent increases, unemployment, more people living on the streets like the depression era, a war raging in Ukraine as we speak and I needed something to distract myself, and what did I get, what did everyone expecting the same, get?
A raging WS taking to the stage at a star studded gala evening and exerting his dominance using violence. He could’ve waited to speak to CR afterwards, he could’ve given a thumbs down while seated after he was shown laughing, just to please JPS. JPS could’ve invited CR to her Red Table Talk to discuss the joke….. several options but WS chose to assault CR in front of millions of people, his bruised ego couldn’t wait and he chose violence.
Shall I now change the channel, watch people fleeing for their lives, bombs falling, bodies discarded on the side of roads, my long deceased mother’s people helping those displaced people as she once was? Back to WS, smug face, victory is his, applauded by the crowd as he received his award, no one stopped him, no one protected CR, no one cared! Why can’t I expect to watch the Oscars without seeing an assault, is that too much to ask?

Imo, your posts indicate there’s faux rage in this thread? Maybe, your posts should be directed at WS? He was once a comedian now cancelling another comedian because he didn’t like his joke?!

Ask those ladies what they’re fighting over, I’m sure they’ve got a lot more on their plate than WS, having real hardships can push a person over the edge! WS has shown he’s an arrogant, selfish man who’s lost touch with reality, and by the Academy’s reaction, they have too. I was a big fan of WS, so I’m more than a little disappointed. :(

Violence begets violence.
Rock on, sister <or brother>. We tune into things like the Oscars to escape into some benign frivolity. Watching people strut around in their best peacock finery on the red carpet. Watching our favorite artists hopefully receive recognition. Listening to the hosts poke light-hearted fun at the whole spectacle. It's a nice distraction and a point of normalcy in the craziest couple years in history. It nice to just have a break from it all.

When we tuned into the Oscars we weren't signing up to watch the WWE. Or have a week long conversation with our kids about violence, privilege, race and mental breakdowns. We didn't sign up for that at all. But Will Smith vomited all that into our laps nonetheless. Then parties the night away while the rest of us deal with the aftermath.

And it's even worse for victims of violence, many of whom suffer from PTSD and are horribly triggered by witnessing acts of violence. They avoid violent movies, violent people, watching violence on the news. And then, bam, they are hit in the face with it while participating in what should be a "safe" activity like watching a benign awards show.

Will Smith has a lot to apologize for and it remains to be seen if he'll ever grasp even half of it. The same can be said of the Academy as a whole for dreadfully mishandling the whole affair.

IMO

You have a very open-minded, empathetic yet logical way of thinking that we all can learn a lot from, IMO. That statement you made the other day about the lack of civility that has been trending in our nation being “growing pains” really made sense and resonated with me.
Thank you, @gitana1. That means a lot. :)

This is what my mother always scornfully referred to as “airing your dirty laundry in public.” :eek: Why on earth would WS agree to discussing this affair on his wife’s show? Ratings? How humiliating!

From the link…
Will Smith faces humiliation as Jada Pinkett Smith ex-lover August Alsina references 'entanglement' | Daily Mail Online

The couple made headlines in July 2020 when they addressed Jada's affair with August on her candid talk show Red Table Talk.

She began explaining the couple met August through their son Jaden, 22, and recalled the singer, who would have been 23 at the time, was 'really sick' (as he battled a genetic liver disease.)

Jada said: 'And it all started with him just needing some help, me wanting to help his health, his mental state.
<snip>
'And then what did you do, Jada?' Will asked, urging his wife to keep talking.

'As time went on, I got into a different type of entanglement with August,' Jada explained.

The mother-of-two went on to respond to August's claim that Will gave her 'permission' to have an affair.

When Will pushed Jada to clarify what she meant by 'entanglement' she responded, 'It was a relationship, absolutely.'
Many ladies admire and support WS even after the slap and yet, he is not known as a ladies man... imo. speculation.

There are plenty of other threads on Websleuths for people to peruse if this one is of no interest to them.

People are free to talk about what they want to talk about. This thread happens to be about Will Smith. If it's of no interest to someone the proper thing to do is move along and go find something that is of interest, not rudely and condescendingly interrupt the conversation.

jmo

Not my intent, but after nearly 20 years of reading and posting on WS, I’m extremely surprised at the horror created by a bit of celebrity foolishness.

I am not blaming CR. Actually, I think WS mistook something that may have been part of the cause of the joke. Sometimes we don't understand that even though someone is a comedian/actor/or famous, they may still gravitate towards the familiar. I have seen several clips of CR using Jada and/or Will in his stand-up. I have seen the look of anger and/or disgust from Jada on the previous times as well. I think CR may have used them because they are familiar to him. They became an easy mark because of familiarity and he may not have realized that Jada had been offended previously as well. I would really like to know if Jada said something to CR during this event. I am not blaming Jada either because Will should have controlled himself. However, I do think she just looks out for herself and doesn't ever look out for Will. Very narcissistic.

I have heard and wondered if this is correct. I have heard in the black community that an open handed slap is more derogatory than a fist punch. A "b!tch slap" is what they have referred it as.

I think that the whole dialog should be that talking through things and working things out is much better than resorting to violence. I wish that and hope that our teens and young adults can maybe learn a little from this. Honestly, we see violence from celebrities all of the time that is not discussed. Look at the basketball court, the ice hockey, or the football field. Many times someone loses their temper and fists start flying.

Last edited:
Again, why weren’t they praying with CR? The victim? He was left alone, humiliated while everyone rushed to surround that buffoon who came off the stage smiling after striking another human.

Quite frankly, IMO, each and every one of them minus CR, is sick. I believe the slap was a natural reaction for some people who are not able to control themselves. We see it every day.

CR, IMO showed a higher level of awareness.

Comedy is comedy. There are jokes about fat people, short people, tall people, sexual orientation, all types of diseases and conditions, southerners, northerners, East coast folks, West coast folks, and so on.

Even Will was laughing at first.

Comedy is comedy. There are jokes about fat people, short people, tall people, sexual orientation, all types of diseases and conditions, southerners, northerners, East coast folks, West coast folks, and so on.

Real life is the stuff comedy is made of. I feel sorry for us if we can't laugh at ourselves, I believe God is being entertained. He created us for His pleasure.

I think CR may have used them because they are familiar to him. They became an easy mark because of familiarity and he may not have realized that Jada had been offended previously as well.
This is what I’ve been thinking as well. Not only were they familiar, they are SUPER successful and one would think they have enough self confidence to take a joke. It’s different if you’re picking on someone who’s struggling and down on their luck. I think CR was truly shocked his joke was received by the Smiths so badly.

Academy moves up Will Smith's Oscar slap disciplinary review

Forget slaps, the academy is pulling no punches.

Discussion on how to discipline actor Will Smith following the slapping incident that occurred at the Oscars on March 27, has been moved up, according to an announcement made by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Academy President David Rubin shared in a letter to the academy members on Wednesday that the previously scheduled meeting on April 18 has been moved up to April 8.

Jada Pinkett Smith talked loving her bald head days before the Oscars - CNN

How would anyone, including Chris Rock, know she'd be offended at all?? He probably thought she'd love the joke.

For magazine covers, the request would often be for Pinkett Smith to have her hair “straight and flowy” which was “not really what my hair likes to do.”

“So I had to learn to get the courage to go, ‘Nah, I’m not doing that,’” she said. “Which is why I feel the freedom today – I don’t give two craps what people think of this bald head of mine. Because guess what? I love it.”

So he commented on her hair style, that she claimed she loved, and for that he gets smacked and humiliated?

Maybe she needs to get entangled again soon so her mood lightens.

But there's a connection.
Slap, kick, punch, stab, shoot, bomb.

Self defence, yes.

It's hypocritical to down play this display of violence because it's a famous person but condemn a random person who became violent because of road rage and slapped/punched the other driver's face. Why should WS get a free pass?

This whole site is dedicated to the victims who've suffered a violent attack, most have died.
If this incident happened off stage and the victim, CR, decided to defend himself, how bad could that situation get, one could fall and hit their head and die.
I can't believe I'm explaining the consequences of a violent act on Websleuths. :rolleyes:

This is why celebrities tend to get away with murder. Literally.

That aside, we can’t get upset over entitled, arrogant and violent behavior that’s enabled to occur, because much worse is occurring in the world?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back