Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

According to a “calendar 12” site that I found, the moon was full 100% on August 9th, 1976.

Do you know ,what the weather was on that day?
I am very curious about that..

Remember why it was odd that Pam and James were found - without underwear?

If the weather was good and they decided to go for a swim,but hadn’t any bading suits,they could have swim in their underwear and because it was wet,they just put their clothes on..
There are beautifull swimming lakes in SC,like lake Jocassee ,with waterfalls!
They also looked freshly showered...with a nice tan.

Most of them must have camping grounds ,I reckon..

If the weather was good and they decided to go for a swim,but hadn’t any bading suits,they could have swim in their underwear and because it was wet,they just put their clothes on..

I’m not sure but will search that weather history site. I’ve seen references in news clips of the typical hot humid days that would be expected in August. They were both wearing open sandal type of shoes and that’s why I was doubtful of them hitchhiking.
I know Joecassie/Keowee quite well. I used to camp there often on weekends and holidays.

I’m not sure but will search that weather history site. I’ve seen references in news clips of the typical hot humid days that would be expected in August. They were both wearing open sandal type of shoes and that’s why I was doubtful of them hitchhiking.
I know Joecassie/Keowee quite well. I used to camp there often on weekends and holidays.

Thanks,I really think their journey was a life to the fullest.
But maybe it is because we are living now,under COVID restrictions...I miss traveling..Camping is nice,when you wake up and start the day with fresh air and a spectacular view

It looks stunning,all those pictures!

Also lake Marion is mentioned (Sumter county)
15 Best Lakes in South Carolina - The Crazy Tourist

I've always thought Hurricane Belle could have had an effect on the events that night. 40,000 people evacuated on the N. Carolina coast. I know those numbers would diminish further south but still yet if it was even a fraction of that it could be significant. Campgrounds were also closing down.
The intersection at I95 closest to Locklear Rd was a direct route into the Myrtle Beach area.

Hurricane Belle - Wikipedia

If accurate for the area they were traveling, it would certainly rule out hitchhiking and possibly motorcycle riding.
Why?
I don't know about motorcycle riding, but I used to hitch-hike a lot in the 90s, rain, thunder, snowstorms. You try to get where you want to go, and weather has nothing to do with it.

Also, I hitch-hiked wearing heels and platforms most of the time.

Last edited:
Why?
I don't know about motorcycle riding, but I used to hitch-hike a lot in the 90s, rain, thunder, snowstorms. You try to get where you want to go, and weather has nothing to do with it.

Also, I hitch-hiked wearing heels and platforms most of the time.

Guessing based on the good condition of their clothing, shoes, hair, etc. If you look at the photos of their bodies at the crime scene, their clothes were nice, clean,pressed, not wrinkled, muddy or wet. Their hair also looked very nice, freshly shampooed and styled.

I do agree,imo hardly possible that they were hitch hiking or riding a bike,due from what I read and James being a professional mechanic.

Also if you read back in thread 1,before their identities were known,car jacking was presumed more likely.

There are also written post about Verna,a (former?) WS member was in close contact with her,it seems that the killer(s) was only a few feet away when he or she fired the shots.

I really think that James and Pamela went for a swim,that day.Much opportunities there,the beach like @T rex mentioned (thx for that! you got me looking at :History )
or beautiful lakes.
Some maybe with accessible toilet/shower buildings,maybe?
Or Nature could provide in their hygiene travels...lake/beach swimming...

Very possible..idd, that Hurricane Belle lead to the unfortunate killing of Pamela and James...

JMO, from photos at the death scene, it looked like Pam's hair looked like it was shampooed and blow-dried. She would have had luggage with her that included make-up, toiletries, blow dryer, probably a curling iron, too.

If they visited a local beach for swimming, there probably were a lot of other people there. Probably wouldn't be unusual for criminals to cruise around those areas to looking for opportunities. I recall in the mid 70's visiting a popular local beach and having my purse stolen from a locked van. Same with my friends who lost wallets, etc.

It would have been difficult to steal a car or van at a crowded beach, but maybe the killers followed them?

Since they have been ID'ed - in many ways this has become more mysterious.

It goes without saying that the weapon is probably the key to this. That isn't to say that fella that had it, was the killer. For all we know someone found it, and it ended up in his possession through a unrelated series of events. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible the gun belonged to one of the victims. Who knows.

Other thoughts:

Did PB & JF know one another? Or was there an intermediary?

Did PB & JF have any history of being gone for extended periods of time? If I recall both were last seen in late winter of 75. That's roughly 6-7 months before they were gone.

What did they leave behind in terms of Apartments, houses, bank accounts, roommates, jobs, cars, personal property, relationships, friendships?

It's hard imagining a scenario that ties everything together.

Slightly off topic, but I recently came across info about a guy who grew up not far from Jim in Pottstown, PA. They probably had similar experiences growing up, went to the same kind of schools and certainly a similar German-American ethnic background. His name was Daryl Hohl

8b775c2cfdd49ee531f971ed0b5d6cb5.jpg

Since they have been ID'ed - in many ways this has become more mysterious.

It goes without saying that the weapon is probably the key to this. That isn't to say that fella that had it, was the killer. For all we know someone found it, and it ended up in his possession through a unrelated series of events. On the other hand, I suppose it's possible the gun belonged to one of the victims. Who knows.

Other thoughts:

Did PB & JF know one another? Or was there an intermediary?

Did PB & JF have any history of being gone for extended periods of time? If I recall both were last seen in late winter of 75. That's roughly 6-7 months before they were gone.

What did they leave behind in terms of Apartments, houses, bank accounts, roommates, jobs, cars, personal property, relationships, friendships?

It's hard imagining a scenario that ties everything together.

There could have been a mutual friend. Someone that had introduced them and was from the area of the crime or had ties to it.
If Pam and James were traveling with someone how well would they have known this person? Or I guess the question would be how long do you have to know someone before you know them? A couple days? A couple weeks? Probably a matter of opinion but if they were with someone I'm gonna say they knew them well enough to take a trip with them but not so much that either Pam or James family would've known of them. If so this person could be key or possibly a suspect.

I don't think George was the killer but his family definitely has ties to the area. Quite a few of them. Maybe I can post some of it later. I don't have time for much research lately but I can still make a post or comment.

There could have been a mutual friend. Someone that had introduced them and was from the area of the crime or had ties to it.
If Pam and James were traveling with someone how well would they have known this person? Or I guess the question would be how long do you have to know someone before you know them? A couple days? A couple weeks? Probably a matter of opinion but if they were with someone I'm gonna say they knew them well enough to take a trip with them but not so much that either Pam or James family would've known of them. If so this person could be key or possibly a suspect.

I don't think George was the killer but his family definitely has ties to the area. Quite a few of them. Maybe I can post some of it later. I don't have time for much research lately but I can still make a post or comment.

Both @Eddie99 and @Betty P make god points above. About the gun history, they knew that a brother gave the gun to Lonnie as a gift and said numbers were on it. I don’t know anything past that but if he bought it from a dealer there would have been records even in the 70s. As for how the victims came to know each other is a million dollar question. I’ve not seen a word from anybody who knew them and I’m sure they are around. My own mother is the exact age of Pam and can still talk about and to people that she knew in the 60s even. As has always been with this case, a bunch of questions and few answers.

I do have to wonder, like everyone here, what their relationship to each other was and how long they had known each other. Since they both disappeared in December 1975, part of me still has to wonder if they had met sometime while traveling and either started a romantic relationship or a friendship and decided to go on a trip together. It's unfortunate that it's not easier to piece together a timeline and figure out what ties they may have had to each other.

The carjacking theory is interesting and makes sense to me. Part of me also wonders if they were being stalked.

I’ve often wondered if Lonnie’s son and friends were looked into. He was willing to cling tight to info to protect somebody. It’s just a rambling theory I’ve had kicking around a while.

Very interesting, and definitely something worth considering imo.

I do have to wonder, like everyone here, what their relationship to each other was and how long they had known each other. Since they both disappeared in December 1975, part of me still has to wonder if they had met sometime while traveling and either started a romantic relationship or a friendship and decided to go on a trip together. It's unfortunate that it's not easier to piece together a timeline and figure out what ties they may have had to each other.

The carjacking theory is interesting and makes sense to me. Part of me also wonders if they were being stalked.

As we got more into it, the timeline doesn’t fit.

I've tried thinking of anything that would bring people from across the country together.

The only things I could think of were:

1. Military related things. Example a soldier from (for example) New York, marries a soldier from (colorado) or wherever.

Then friends of each go for a visit.

2. Some religious thing: In the 70s I had 2 older cousins that took up with some ministry & they went all over. One never came home, settled down in MN.

3. Following some rock band, like the grateful dead. I'm not sure what other acts had people following them around.
** I suppose that this could include other types of entertainment, besides rock&roll shows.

There are a million reasons people travel. But those 3 were the ones I could think of that probably account for a fair percentage of cross country travel.

I've tried thinking of anything that would bring people from across the country together.

The only things I could think of were:

1. Military related things. Example a soldier from (for example) New York, marries a soldier from (colorado) or wherever.

Then friends of each go for a visit.

2. Some religious thing: In the 70s I had 2 older cousins that took up with some ministry & they went all over. One never came home, settled down in MN.

3. Following some rock band, like the grateful dead. I'm not sure what other acts had people following them around.
** I suppose that this could include other types of entertainment, besides rock&roll shows.

There are a million reasons people travel. But those 3 were the ones I could think of that probably account for a fair percentage of cross country travel.
Keep in mind this was 1976 and the Bicentennial was being celebrated, which likely created a spike in tourism especially to historic sites like Philadelphia. For all we know a chance encounter (James was already in PA and Pam travelled to Philly?) could have occured. Or James could have started traveling, maybe working for an event like the Freedom Train which started in the east and travelled west where a chance encounter occurred.

Didn't we establish that Lonnie's son died before Pam and James?. I will have to go back and check when I've put kids to bed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back