GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing they didn't get to was that whole weird reverse ransom thing with some international kidnapping expert...was he involved or a victim too?

The reverse ransom was such a bizarre part of this case, I’m surprised and disappointed the show doesn’t cover it. This article explains it. It’s so interesting to read an article written when everyone still believed SP, except the lead investigator. He “went ballistic” over the reverse ransom idea.

Kidnapping, reverse ransom and a bounty: the strange case of Sherri Papini

The California department of justice initially listed her as a “voluntary missing adult” before changing its classification – in response to a public outcry – to disappearance under suspicious circumstances.
Still, the lead investigator, Lt Anthony Bertain, told Papini’s friends and family that he did not think she had been abducted – despite ample testimony that she was a loving wife and a “supermom” completely devoted to her young kids. (Bertain was given multiple opportunities to rebut or challenge this version of events but offered no comment.)

More about Cameron Gamble of hostage negotiation and reverse ransom “fame.”
The Shady Hostage Negotiator at the Center of Sherri Papini’s Abduction

Last edited:
The reverse ransom was such a bizarre part of this case, I’m surprised and disappointed the show doesn’t cover it. This article explains it. It’s so interesting to read an article written when everyone still believed SP, except the lead investigator. He “went ballistic” over the reverse ransom idea.

The California department of justice initially listed her as a “voluntary missing adult” before changing its classification – in response to a public outcry – to disappearance under suspicious circumstances.
Still, the lead investigator, Lt Anthony Bertain, told Papini’s friends and family that he did not think she had been abducted – despite ample testimony that she was a loving wife and a “supermom” completely devoted to her young kids. (Bertain was given multiple opportunities to rebut or challenge this version of events but offered no comment.)

Thank you for sharing that! I don't recall seeing that when it was published.

It was sad to see on Dateline (and within the linked story) that Tera Smith's parents still have no answers on the disappearance of their daughter, then 16, and a real victim since Aug. 22, 1998.

It was sad to see on Dateline (and within the linked story) that Tera Smith's parents still have no answers on the disappearance of their daughter, then 16, and a real victim since Aug. 22, 1998.

I’m so glad Tera’s parents agreed to be part of this Dateline episode. The very real grief they have experienced over Tera’s unsolved disappearance in 1998 provides a heartbreaking contrast to the ugly hoax SP perpetrated for almost six years.

Definitely a lot of new information, including the fact that Sherri made Reyes shoot hockey pucks at her shins and tried to get him to hit her in the face with a hockey stick but he just couldn't do it, so he held out the hockey stick and she ran her face into it. Wow!

It was great to hear from investigators directly as well.

The one thing they didn't get to was that whole weird reverse ransom thing with some international kidnapping expert...was he involved or a victim too?
This whole case is so weird!
I want to hear more about that "whole weird ransom thing" too! Why did he get involved with this particular case?

IMO Papini’s lawyer’s statement should dictate that any visitation she has with her children in the future be closely supervised. She’s unpredictable and therefore not safe to be around. MOO
Agree with supervised visitation only. It is not unlikely her next caper may directly involve the children. They seriously need to be protected from her. IMO

So - do you all want me to keep track of the divorce hearing on 5/9/22??
@Niner Sure, but will we have to pay extra for that? :D
Couple questions: *Was boyfriend arrested for his involvement in SP's fraud?
*Does anyone think SP had this hoax all planned out in advance, or did she improvise when she realized what a mess she created with her disappearance?

Agree with supervised visitation only. It is not unlikely her next caper may directly involve the children. They seriously need to be protected from her. IMO

BBM - That is exactly what I have been thinking! She's had that family on a puppet string for years, it's going to so hard for them to understand the drama they've lived with is not normal. Thank goodness the truth finally came out! The boyfriend thinking he was helping protect her from her "abusive" husband, he probably needs therapy too.

This gal needs to be supervised! She's already harmed herself with her "fake kidnapping". She may lose it now that everyone knows the truth about her. I think her image is very important to her.

@Niner Sure, but will we have to pay extra for that? :D
Couple questions: *Was boyfriend arrested for his involvement in SP's fraud?
*Does anyone think SP had this hoax all planned out in advance, or did she improvise when she realized what a mess she created with her disappearance?

According to Dateline last night, the boyfriend did not break any laws. They were consenting adults and it's not illegal not to squeal on a "friend."

Also, in one of the MSM links up-thread, it was reported that investigators found evidence that SP planned this hoax at least a year in advance. It doesn't seem that she planned the end -- reversing her abduction on Thanksgiving seemed to be improvised. At least it was to the boyfriend when she suddenly said she missed her kids and wanted a ride back to Redding.

Okay - you got it! ;)
@Niner -- beware that there might not be much news past the initial filing. There's been so much public interest in the couple's status since the charges that networks were watching family (civil) court wires. I will not be surprised if KP's attorney blocks public/media access from any hearings as this is a private family matter that also involves custody issues of minor children. In his petition, KP's already asked the court to help protect his children.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member