Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is KS a public defender or did the suspect's family hire a lawyer? I say suspect but trust the certainty of LE on this one...

I do not think KS was hired by the family since he presented that he was not the attorney of record for the defendant, and requested a hearing to determine the accused's representation, which was fixed by the court for May 5, at 3:30 pm.

IMO, the accused probably met KS for the first time on Wednesday, April 27 -- shortly before the video hearing.

Also, the defendant waived his in-person appearance per KS after the hearing concluded.

I wasn't sure how to interpret the prosecutor's description of the murder, but the description of strangling her, sexually assaulting her after she is deceased, does give the impression that he didn't realize how long it takes to completely strangle a young healthy person until they are completely dead. Sounds more like lack of experience than cunning.
I can’t keep track of everything I’ve read, but I believe somewhere it was stated he beat/punched/kicked her prior to strangling her. That along with strangling, would be pretty consuming. Assume a lot of adrenaline and rage built up. And then to rape her is quite shocking.

actually best to talk to any kids, male or female, he's had contact with IMO
Yes, very true.

I just mentioned siblings and a possible girlfriend (if there was ever one) because the siblings would be with him 24/7 and a relationship with a girlfriend would be more intimate (or not), which could easily turn into abuse.

But I do agree with you.

Might be a good idea to check if he had a girlfriend at some point that could've been victimized too. I don't think it's possible to go from not abusing anyone to murder someone. Also, if there are girls in his home, it's probably best to interview them too. Poor Lily.

I agree.

This is a horrific and tragic case, there are so many victims of this heinous crime.

<modsnip>

I can't think of anything worse to try to recover from than that.

Words fall short in expressing my wish for healing for the many victims here.

Everytime I follow a heinous case like this, I think I've heard the worst of human depravity.

Then another comes along.

Just, no words.

WG

Last edited by a moderator:
Chippewa Falls struggles to comprehend Lily Peters' death | kare11.com

“I think everyone wants to feel like they’re helping in some way,” she said. “This is like nothing we’ve ever experienced. I don’t even think I have the vocabulary.”

Ouimette said many parents expressed a sense of fear early in the investigation, before Chippewa Falls Police announced the arrest of a 14-year-old suspect in connection with Lily’s killing.

Now, that fear has turned to a mix of anger, confusion and many other emotions.

“I think a lot of people are still shocked, and it’s just taking it in, and realizing that bad things happen,” Ouimette said. “There’s just a lot of quietness going around.”

I am just catching up with everything regarding this case and it really is horrific. What a senseless tragedy for Lily and her family/friends etc. It is hard to make sense of this world at times.

Lily Peters news - latest: Suspect, 14, ‘beat, strangled and raped’ 10-year-old, court hears

If a judge rules there’s enough evidence for the case to move forward to a preliminary hearing, the defendant’s lawyers have the ability to petition the case be moved to juvenile court.

"Eau Claire attorney Jay Heit, who’s not affiliated with the case, told WEAU10NEW in an interview that certain crimes give adult court “original jurisdiction”.

“If you’re between the ages of 10 and 17 a charge for a juvenile would start in juvenile court where it’s confidential, the hearings are closed,” he told the news outlet. “There are certain charges for juveniles, once you’re above the age of 10, that automatically start in adult court.”

The prosecutor, however, has told the media that it’s “premature” to speculate whether they plan to continue to try the suspect in adult court, but noted that it is a “very serious case”.

If the 14-year-old’s case was to remain in juvenile court, the proceedings would be closed to the public and a judge, not a jury, would deliver the verdict."

Ethan Crumbley in court: Psych evaluation done in Oxford shooting case

"The Oxford school shooting suspect's psychiatric evaluation is complete, though his defense team said it could take another 45 days to get the results as the evaluation includes a thorough review of the criminal case.

This was disclosed at Wednesday's pretrial hearing for 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley, whose jail status has to be reviewed every 30 days under a federal law that protects the rights of incarcerated juveniles.

Oakland County Circuit Judge Kwame Rowe said that Crumbley will remain in the Oakland County Jail, which he concluded on March 1 is the best place for him right now, though he will revisit the issue every 30 days as required."

so my question for our WS legal beagles...do you see lily's killer being treated/going down the same path as in the ethan crumbley case? is michigan that different from wisconsin?

This sadly might be one of those cases where the reasons are never fully clear. An undeveloped child decided to allegedly brutally murder and rape an even younger child.

That doesn't compute. It strays far from the path of the 'usual' scenario here where a suspect has a lengthy criminal history or is in an abusive relationship, etc. and it involves kids on both sides whereas normally child SA/murder is at the hands of an adult. I am not going to begin to speculate on what suspects motives were at the moment.

For now, will just pray for Lily and her family because this is an outright atrocity that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Not saying neglectful mother. Were "psychopath" and "sociopath" replaced with antisocial personal disorder in DSM5?

View attachment 341718

https://www.psi.uba.ar/academica/ca...ica_tr_personalidad_psicosis/material/dsm.pdf

I don’t want to get too OT or too clinical, but “psychopath” and “sociopath” are, not quite layman’s terms, but not truly clinical ones and were not diagnoses in DSM IV either.

I didn’t know this until I looked it up just now, but psychopathy was apparently ADDED in DSM V as a specifier (basically a potential sub-feature, if that makes sense) of antisocial personality disorder.

Different states have different laws for how juvenile offenders in homicides are handled, but the recent case of Grace Ross in Indiana (6 year old assaulted and murdered, left in the woods by a 14 year old neighbor) may give some indication of how things will go. IN - Grace Ross, 6, found dead; Boy, 14, taken into custody, New Carlisle, 12 Mar 2021

In that case, prosecutors were allowed to release certain things, like cause of death of the victim and how the suspect was established (his mother has suspicions and brought him to police, where he confessed) but they did not officially release the offender's name until a lengthy process decided that he would be tried as an adult. However, each state and each case is different.

The fact that a search warrant was executed at the aunt's home and that boxes of evidence were removed need not necessarily mean that any part of the murder took place there. Instead, there may be evidence of past criminal activities or if the offender returned there after the murder with, say, clothes with biological evidence on them, or tried to clean up or hide a murder weapon there in the home, that would need to be removed by LE for processing too.
That happened very close to me. Very sad.

You are certainly right, and anyone who follows sports certainly knows about CTE, and it has been seen as at least a contributing cause in some crimes. I just do not think that is likely the case here, and I do not wish to help plan this killer's defense. JMO

I agree with not wanting to contribute to defense. I wondered if I should even post about head injuries, but one person I know, was injured about the same age, was treated, but lots of bad "stuff" followed.

I agree with not wanting to contribute to defense. I wondered if I should even post about head injuries, but one person I know, was injured about the same age, was treated, but lots of bad "stuff" followed.

Your thoughts are as valid as any others. Certainly, none of us knows what caused this 14-yer-old to become a killer, and we may never know. Experts may never know. My hunch is this was probably just the escalation of violent acts and rage that probably first showed up at a much earlier age, and were either unknown, ignored, or otherwise mishandled. JMO

I wasn't sure how to interpret the prosecutor's description of the murder, but the description of strangling her, sexually assaulting her after she is deceased, does give the impression that he didn't realize how long it takes to completely strangle a young healthy person until they are completely dead. Sounds more like lack of experience than cunning.

I find the sequence of his attacks to be odd. JMOO, but if he confessed as reported that he set out to both rape her and kill her, the most likely sequence would have been rape first, strangulation after. Unless, it wasn't solely his idea to do it.

This case reminds me of stories I've read about initiation into gangs like M13.

I think it will be interesting to hear his explanation--if we ever hear it. Because to my mind, at his young age, someone had to be exerting influence.

All JMOO, of course.

I find the sequence of his attacks to be odd. JMOO, but if he confessed as reported that he set out to both rape her and kill her, the most likely sequence would have been rape first, strangulation after. Unless, it wasn't solely his idea to do it.

I think it will be interesting to hear his explanation--if we ever hear it. Because to my mind, at his young age, someone had to be exerting influence.

All JMOO, of course.

Bolded by me, this might be the likely sequence if the rapist was just trying to silence the victim or help conceal his crime, but IMO a lot of adults who end up offending like this actually fantasize about murdering during the process of the rape (in plain terms, it is the murder that is sexually arousing to them - Samuel Little, Michael Bruce Ross are just two examples of this type of sexually motivated offender who have admitted to this behavior). So it is not outside the realm of possibility that this 14 year old boy was a nascent version of this and had similar reasons for the sequence in which he did it.

I suspect he either wasn't expecting the amount of fight she put up and was otherwise unable to complete the sexual assault, got carried away/was too inexperienced to know when to stop, or (I apologize in advance) the act of strangulation leading up to and during the assault was specifically appealing to him. Strangulation to the point of death is not actually strangling to death, in my interpretation.

All JMOO, of course.

According to the information in this link, there are no active gangs in Chippewa Falls. This killer's bad influences, and there may have been many, came from elsewhere.

Regional Gang Activity in Chippewa County, Wisconsin | Detailed Gang Statistics for Chippewa County (insideprison.com)

Last edited:

All JMOO, of course.
In the deposition, it is fairly clear and explicit that the suspect stated he punched her in the stomach, hit her with a "stick", strangled her to death and then raped her. This is a part of why the judge opted to set bail at $1m rather than the defense request of $100k which is effectively an order for the suspect to remain in police custody - one I completely agree with. I think we can somewhat safely assume the suspect himself has been a victim of past abuse.

The suspect's identity officially remains sealed because at his point it is technically undecided of he will be tried in adult or juvenile court. I think the next hearing was said to be May 2nd or 3rd but I'm not sure if that decision will be made and the identity will officially be revealed then or still further down the line.

I do expect that this case will ultimately be tried in adult court or there would be serious public outcry. By the suspect's own admission it was premeditated and I caught a bit of the prosecutors statement that in Wisconsin, Juvenile court does not impose sentencing requirements. I'm not altogether convinced that even heinous very young offenders like this one or Aiden Faucci are beyond rehabilitation but I certainly would not want for them to be tried in juvenile court were it is explicitly presumed that they can and will be rehabilitated. That is something that needs to be evaluated over years if not decades of actual incarceration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member