Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I think the Amber Alert system is ridiculous for the most part. ANY CHILD under a certain age should automatically have an alert across the board, meaning all states should have the same age criteria. It would seem to me that every state should be able to say that any child 10 and under should get an alert. Or 8 and under, etc. you get the gist. Different states have different criteria. That is NOT helpful at all. If an 8 year old walks out of their house to go down the block to a friends and never makes it to that friends, and reasonable attempts to find that kid are unsuccessful, a NATIONWIDE Amber Alert in every single state should be activated whether or not somebody saw them get dragged into a car or not....WHY is that so difficult?

Amber alerts are issued to like 2% of the missing kids, runaways, etc. 97% of the those end up being found safe, just poor communications or the kid did something spur of the moment and only 1% are in imminent danger.

Currently, Amber Alerts actually mean something. Everyone pays attention.

IMO, having like 2 Amber Alerts every single day for the hourly missing or late cases of kids in your region would 1) overwhelm LE and 2) make the public pay way less attention to them, 3) make almost no difference in stopping the very few kids who are really abducted any safer.

Monday morning quarterbacking is not how to manage a complex issue. Let's leave it to the professionals. The system works pretty well but of course people like you and me who only look at murders, etc. on Websleuths/Reddit are a tiny subset of people and we can have a very skewed view of reality. Maybe we should all step back and look at it from less emotional and a more logical standpoint. Just my opinion.

Amber alerts are issued to like 2% of the missing kids, runaways, etc. 97% of the those end up being found safe, just poor communications or the kid did something spur of the moment and only 1% are in imminent danger.

IMO, having like 2 Amber Alerts every single day for the hourly missing or late cases of kids in your region would 1) overwhelm LE and 2) make the public pay way less attention to them, 3) make almost no difference in stopping the very few kids who are really abducted any safer.

Monday morning quarterbacking is not how to manage a complex issue. Let's leave it to the professionals. The system works pretty well but of course people like you and me who only look at murders, etc. on Websleuths/Reddit are a tiny subset of people and we can have a very skewed view of reality. Maybe we should all step back and look at it from less emotional and a more logical standpoint. Just my opinion.
In the county where I live we receive way too many weather alerts, so many that people have stopped paying attention to them, for the most part.

We get weather alerts for possible frosts, freeze warnings, heavy rain, possible fog, snow, possibly freezing rain, flash floods, and possible strong winds.

This time of year it seems nearly every day my phone is alerting possible windy conditions or frost warnings.

I wouldn’t want to see Amber Alerts overused to the point that they become largely ignored, or even just less important.

In the county where I live we receive way too many weather alerts, so many that people have stopped paying attention to them, for the most part.

We get weather alerts for possible frosts, freeze warnings, heavy rain, possible fog, snow, possibly freezing rain, flash floods, and possible strong winds.

This time of year it seems nearly every day my phone is alerting possible windy conditions or frost warnings.

I wouldn’t want to see Amber Alerts overused to the point that they become largely ignored, or even just less important.

ITA. Even had poor Lily met the criteria for the issuance of an Amber Alert, or if the criteria was changed to allow for it, it would not have mattered in her particular case. By the time her dad reported her missing, she was surely already dead. A similar argument was made in the very recent Naomi Irion murder case. Although she was an adult, her brother blamed LE for being slow to respond to his report of her missing. However, even though she lived with him, he didn't report her missing for some day and a half after he last saw her leaving home for work. By then, she was most likely long dead.

I believe it is natural, and healthy, to examine things and see if something could have been done to have prevented a particular crime to happen, but in Lily's case, I believe anything that could have been done to prevent her murder needed to have been done years ago. JMO

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

At this time we also know from the ME that Lily's death was caused by strangulation and blunt force trauma.

IMO, this homicide has the hallmark of an angry, impulsive, 14 yr old adolescent that allegedly used sticks and stones as his weapon.

This was no mastermind deliberating a violent attack on a relative/friend that he's likely played with all of his life.

Otherwise, I think we'd be looking at a situation where the youth took a knife out of the kitchen (or a violent weapon) and followed Lily to the woods.

I agree this was pent-up anger by a seriously disturbed youth losing control. But I'm more interested in knowing his toxicology results near the time of the attack, and what was going on in his life weeks earlier leading up to Sunday<modsnip>. I sense something surrounding spring break contributed to this attack. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
People would decline or stop reading Amber Alerts altogether if they were getting them from all over the country. Enough people are already annoyed by them in their own state. That may work when you live in the NE and someone could be states away, but it wouldn't work for Florida getting Alaska alerts, or even neighboring states getting Miami alerts when it takes 10 or so hours to get from Miami to another state.

IMO that's the purpose of Amber Alerts, though.

Someone kidnaps a child in Miami, let's say, and drives that child up to maybe Tallahassee, thinking he won't be found, or to Georgia, or up I-95 to the North....an Amber Alert is meant to spot that car and license plate wherever it may be in the hopes of rescuing the child.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO that's the purpose of Amber Alerts, though.

Someone kidnaps a child in Miami, let's say, and drives that child up to maybe Tallahassee, thinking he won't be found, or to Georgia, or up I-95 to the North....an Amber Alert is meant to spot that car and license plate wherever it may be in the hopes of rescuing the child.

Jmo
Amber Alerts that provide a vehicle description and license plate number should be widely broadcast. But issuing an Amber Alert for every missing child without knowledge or suspicion that they have been kidnapped might be of little or no value.

For example, IMO an Amber Alert in Lily’s case wouldn’t have been beneficial.

On the topic of why, I’d like to know what’s different in the brains of people who commit these crimes.

I’m guessing the vast majority of pre-teen and teenage boys (and girls, but most teen SA is committed by boys) have seen *advertiser censored*. Probably all teenagers have sexual desires. Every person feels frustration, jealousy, anger. Something makes a small minority act out on these feelings and impulses, while the rest of us deal differently, without hurting anyone. What gives someone like CPB the ability to turn normal feeling into a violent plan and then the…courage?…to actually go through with that plan? Courage isn’t the right word at all, but there’s a big leap from thinking “I could just punch him” to actually punching that most people just don’t make.

when we figure out why, we can begin to take steps to prevent it. We have to learn from SA perps instead of just throwing them in a cage for the rest of their lives. I’m not personally a fan of DP, but to repay the cost of housing criminals for years, we need to gather as much info as possible.

I agree 100%!

Amber Alerts are restrictive for a reason. It’s distressing to hear that loud klaxon sound blast thru the speakers of my phone. And… it should be. It’s rare and unexpected, so I immediately take notice. However, the more ubiquitous a stimulus becomes the weaker it’s effect.

If Amber Alerts were pushed out to the general masses every time a child went missing, people would just turn them off. Especially if they rarely provided the necessary information to help guide the public. This would render them all useless and inundate LE with thousands of unrelated tips and random hunches that require time, money, and manpower to track down. LE can’t afford to waste precious resources on wild goose chases when a child is missing.

I agree, I think the Amber Alert system is ridiculous for the most part. ANY CHILD under a certain age should automatically have an alert across the board, meaning all states should have the same age criteria. It would seem to me that every state should be able to say that any child 10 and under should get an alert. Or 8 and under, etc. you get the gist. Different states have different criteria. That is NOT helpful at all. If an 8 year old walks out of their house to go down the block to a friends and never makes it to that friends, and reasonable attempts to find that kid are unsuccessful, a NATIONWIDE Amber Alert in every single state should be activated whether or not somebody saw them get dragged into a car or not....WHY is that so difficult?

I would disable my Amber Alerts if this were the case. There is no point in getting alerts from areas I am not in. It dilutes who I might actually see and report with hundreds of cases I have no reason to know about. I think it would become a situation of "crying wolf" and people would stop paying attention.

The question remains why? Why would a young boy kill someone known to them? What motivated him to snuff a little girls life out of her? Anyone have any guesses? Do we know cod yet? I feel so bad for both families. I can’t imagine. I can only pray for healing and questions answered for the her family’s sake.
BBM

Demented mind? Sexual gratification?

I can't fathom how anyone can have a rational conversation about what causes a kid to do something so horrible. I can't get past the blind rage and devastating sadness. It's blocking out everything else.
I think people are just trying to understand to prevent it from happening again. It’s a terrible case… among many horrible ones.

I don't think it is ever possible to understand the why of something like this. And I don't know if reform is possible, I think I would always be afraid of the person. I do know that they won't research the brains and such much even prisoners have rights that they don't' have to subject to medical testing/research. I guess if we want to believe in good people we have to believe in bad ones. My opinions. But I do think someone has to be pretty damaged to do something like this, whether they were bullied, abused, molested, or ???? I just feel something had to have happened to them, to make it come bubbling up.

FWIW I once received a death threat when I was in grade school, and a second one to my home - "Or I'll burn down your house", as it were. I am aware that saying threats as such, and carrying them out, are two different things.

However, from what I have read about this young girl and how she was murdered, makes me think the perp may be a future repeater.

Hoping LE releases the name of this 14 year-old boy.

Nationwide? That’s a great way to get everyone to completely ignore all Amber Alerts. No one wants a text or alarm every day about a kid missing 2,000 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth