VA - Johnny Depp's defamation case against ex Amber Heard, who countersued #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. :)

It's simply that his comment keeps lingering in my mind. However, it doesn't take much for me to worry about the results of jury trials. I do a lot of hand-wringing even when I've watched a perfect slam-dunk case. It's a truly bad habit of mine (stemmed from having served as a juror on several cases). :oops:

preach, lol.

I once was a juror in a murder case and found out that one of the other jurors could not believe any part of the story of the state’s witness, until they saw a picture with the placement of a tangential prop referred to in the testimony (in this case a shopping bag set down atop the hood of a car, lol).

Me… ‘really?’

preach, lol.

I once was a juror in a murder case and found out that one of the other jurors could not believe any part of the story of the state’s witness, until they saw a picture with the placement of a tangential prop referred to in the testimony (in this case a shopping bag set down atop the hood of a car, lol).

Me… ‘really?’

Yes... yes!! You know exactly what I mean! I did my best but I'm sure my facial expressions were priceless at times. :D

ETA: I'm not proud of it but during one trial I had a Seinfeld-Elaine and Pez dispenser moment. A witness kept pronouncing a word incorrectly. It was not a murder trial!

Yes... yes!! You know exactly what I mean! I did my best but I'm sure my facial expressions were priceless at times. :D

ETA: I'm not proud of it but during one trial I had a Seinfeld-Elaine and Pez dispenser moment. A witness kept pronouncing a word incorrectly. It was not a murder trial!

absolutely!! By the bye, I only learned about my fellow juror’s POV after the verdict, because the prosecutor asked to meet with all of us afterwards. (I was too afraid to ask if he wanted to meet us because he was astonished we’d voted to convict the guy!)

Richard Marks is next witness. Sounds like an entertainment attorney works with producers, makes deals

Richard Marks was an excellent expert witness. He wouldn't allow the AH attorney; Nadelhaft (who moved to object on the count of hearsay to his own question a week before) to come to their own conclusions. Richard Marks said Hollywood can forgive "diva" behavior, like Depp arriving late to set, but drew the line at #MeToo abuse allegations. He said the op-ed lead to a "cancel culture" situation for Depp and harmed his ability to get work.

Johnny Depp, Amber Heard Trial: Key moments from Day 12 testimonies

JMO

Richard Marks was an excellent expert witness. He wouldn't allow the AH attorney; Nadelhaft (who moved to object on the count of hearsay to his own question a week before) to come to their own conclusions. Richard Marks said Hollywood can forgive "diva" behavior, like Depp arriving late to set, but drew the line at #MeToo abuse allegations. He said the op-ed lead to a "cancel culture" situation for Depp and harmed his ability to get work.

Johnny Depp, Amber Heard Trial: Key moments from Day 12 testimonies

JMO

I agree, he was good. Clearly he was chosen by the Depp team partly because of his association with the recuttings and reshootings of the Kevin Spacey projects … he also did the eye contact with the jury thing that CourtTV swooned over when the shrink did it.

Still waiting for someone on the Depp team to ask if association with the ACLU leads to a salary for AH… activism can be lucrative, and most actresses are keenly aware their youthful looks don’t last forever and the roles tend to go down, so if I were the AH team, I might stop harping on their ‘has any woman ever become more successful as a result of making a DV claim?’

I’m not really into celeb news so I hadn’t really been paying attention to this until recently but it is so interesting. A combination of law, Hollywood, attitudes to violence, cancel culture and media. Fascinating stuff. Both trying to save their careers in court and trying to control the narrative outside of it too. Fascinating.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe AH. I’m a feminist and have strong views on the way domestic violence is treated in public discourse, but try as I might I just can’t find any reasons to believe her testimony. It’s so weak. I think she’s probably a highly strung individual and often slave to her emotions in a way that doesn’t combine well with impulsiveness. I get the feeling she reacts badly when people see the real person behind the mask, and I also get the feeling that if she can’t control people she’ll try to control how others see them. I think she has probably been finding reasons to position herself as a victim (in order to justify her own poor behaviour) for so long that she might genuinely believe her reactions are a valid response.

Depp is no angel (I’d be way more suspicious if he was tbh) but there’s just nothing there to convince me that he’s abusive. Sounds like they had a horrifically toxic relationship though. Yikes.

All my own opinions etc.

I’m not really into celeb news so I hadn’t really been paying attention to this until recently but it is so interesting. A combination of law, Hollywood, attitudes to violence, cancel culture and media. Fascinating stuff. Both trying to save their careers in court and trying to control the narrative outside of it too. Fascinating.

For what it’s worth I don’t believe AH. I’m a feminist and have strong views on the way domestic violence is treated in public discourse, but try as I might I just can’t find any reasons to believe her testimony. It’s so weak. I think she’s probably a highly strung individual and often slave to her emotions in a way that doesn’t combine well with impulsiveness. I get the feeling she reacts badly when people see the real person behind the mask, and I also get the feeling that if she can’t control people she’ll try to control how others see them. I think she has probably been finding reasons to position herself as a victim (in order to justify her own poor behaviour) for so long that she might genuinely believe her reactions are a valid response.

Depp is no angel (I’d be way more suspicious if he was tbh) but there’s just nothing there to convince me that he’s abusive. Sounds like they had a horrifically toxic relationship though. Yikes.

All my own opinions etc.

you would get on well with Judge Ashley Willcott, who has been frank with the CourtTV audience that she’s there for every bit of it.

Similarly, I agree with your opinions.

I agree, he was good. Clearly he was chosen by the Depp team partly because of his association with the recuttings and reshootings of the Kevin Spacey projects … he also did the eye contact with the jury thing that CourtTV swooned over when the shrink did it.

Still waiting for someone on the Depp team to ask if association with the ACLU leads to a salary for AH… activism can be lucrative, and most actresses are keenly aware their youthful looks don’t last forever and the roles tend to go down, so if I were the AH team, I might stop harping on their ‘has any woman ever become more successful as a result of making a DV claim?’

Agreed. I don’t think I saw them all but I thought Marks and McGivern were credible and persuasive. McGivern’s beard was particularly mesmerising - probably because it’s a great beard but probably also because he just didn’t look like I expected him to look! He was calm, he was engaging, he didn’t sound like he was trying to minimise or exaggerate on either side, and his version of events at the penthouse made so much more sense than AH / sister version. He’s gone straight to the top of my “if I ever end up very rich and need security” wish list.

Agreed. I don’t think I saw them all but I thought Marks and McGivern were credible and persuasive. McGivern’s beard was particularly mesmerising - probably because it’s a great beard but probably also because he just didn’t look like I expected him to look! He was calm, he was engaging, he didn’t sound like he was trying to minimise or exaggerate on either side, and his version of events at the penthouse made so much more sense than AH / sister version. He’s gone straight to the top of my “if I ever end up very rich and need security” wish list.

absolutely… as for the ‘AH fight issues’, it seems obvious at least to me, that a problem with the scenario is because AH tells it to achieve an outcome. (I know, ‘duh’, but yet…) it sounds wrong, because it is wrong. She’s not telling it from experiential memory, which when you have it, you don’t need to remember what your stories are… the actual events are burned into your brain.

Amber in her deposition, ‘I don’t know what part of my body I put between the two of (my sister and Johnny)…’ in order to avoid admitting it was her closed fist… c’mon, Amber, what silly tortured locution. Are you envisioning a scenario where some listeners might go ‘oh, ok, I guess she thrust her shoulder between the two of them’… physical fights are not the Hokey Pokey, lol.

absolutely… as for the ‘AH fight issues’, it seems obvious at least to me, that a problem with the scenario is because AH tells it to achieve an outcome. (I know, ‘duh’, but yet…) it sounds wrong, because it is wrong. She’s not telling it from experiential memory, which when you have it, you don’t need to remember what your stories are… the actual events are burned into your brain.

Amber in her deposition, ‘I don’t know what part of my body I put between the two of (my sister and Johnny)…’ in order to avoid admitting it was her closed fist… c’mon, Amber, what silly tortured locution. Are you envisioning a scenario where some listeners might go ‘oh, ok, I guess she thrust her shoulder between the two of them’… physical fights are not the Hokey Pokey, lol.

Yes, possibly also an attempt to try and introduce the idea that there could be a pattern of him being violent to others, because she knows there’s a clear pattern and track record of her being violent to others. She’s discovering the hard way that it’s much harder to gaslight more than one person at a time.

I wish I didn’t have to work and earn a living because I really want to spend all week watching this. Can’t wait to see how she handles being on the stand this time. Did she take the stand in the Sun trial? If so, anyone know how she came across?

I wish I didn’t have to work and earn a living because I really want to spend all week watching this. Can’t wait to see how she handles being on the stand this time. Did she take the stand in the Sun trial? If so, anyone know how she came across?

Yes, she did.
IMO (what I've watched) she came across as an entitled brat that couldn't keep her lies straight. She was eating on the stand and didn't mind continuing to chew while making everyone wait on her answers. I would gladly attach a video or two but I'm not sure they are allowed. If you get on YouTube and put in AH testimony UK trial, you will be able to see some of her testimony.

ETA .. I am wrong about the date .. that's the search I done but now I looked again and it says those were her depositions back in 2016 .. just as bad I'm sure.

Yes, possibly also an attempt to try and introduce the idea that there could be a pattern of him being violent to others, because she knows there’s a clear pattern and track record of her being violent to others. She’s discovering the hard way that it’s much harder to gaslight more than one person at a time.

well, the judge believed her report about/on 12 of the 14 incidences of violence she claimed.

Cameras weren’t allowed, so we don’t know how she came across apart from her recorded deposition.

I have read a few of the documents back in the day, but I don’t know if there is an unimpeachable WS-friendly source of them.

I doubt she worried about whether or not she was perjuring herself, as not even being a citizen of England, I doubt anyone could reinforce it; and she was also not a party to the action IIRC, she was a witness for the defendant, publisher of the Sun. (It’s been said that this means she also wasn’t required to comply with the rules of evidence. I’m not a lawyer in either country, so you can take this with a grain of salt.)

Yes, she did.
IMO (what I've watched) she came across as an entitled brat that couldn't keep her lies straight. She was eating on the stand and didn't mind continuing to chew while making everyone wait on her answers. I would gladly attach a video or two but I'm not sure they are allowed. If you get on YouTube and put in AH testimony UK trial, you will be able to see some of her testimony.

ETA .. I am wrong about the date .. that's the search I done but now I looked again and it says those were her depositions back in 2016 .. just as bad I'm sure.

lol, I would have given a million dollars to see the Heard team’s reactions, if Brown Rudnick had greeted any objection made to JD’s testimony by telling JD: ‘now, you can answer this question in any way you see fit, including the way you started to do so just now.’

What happened to ‘only ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers’ when it’s your client being grilled, Elaine?

eta: below has several minutes of said deposition:

Video: Amber Heard seen smiling admitting to 'clocking 'Johnny Depp | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Her UK deposition videos are out there in SM. I'm sorry to say that I found her completely unbelievable under oath. Quite a few body language and statement analysis people seem to be in agreement. But the judge, Justice Nicol, accepted her testimony as truthful at the time and believed her false claims that she had donated the charity money as proof she was not doing it for the money. And here we are.

lol, I would have given a million dollars to see the Heard team’s reactions, if Brown Rudnick had greeted any objection made to JD’s testimony by telling JD: ‘now, you can answer this question in any way you see fit, including the way you started to do so just now.’

What happened to ‘only ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers’ when it’s your client being grilled, Elaine?

eta: below has several minutes of said deposition:

Video: Amber Heard seen smiling admitting to 'clocking 'Johnny Depp | Daily Mail Online

If this is what we have to look forward to with her testimony this week .. I may be the one needing anti anxiety meds. :D

well, the judge believed her report about/on 12 of the 14 incidences of violence she claimed.

Cameras weren’t allowed, so we don’t know how she came across apart from her recorded deposition.

I have read a few of the documents back in the day, but I don’t know if there is an unimpeachable WS-friendly source of them.

I doubt she worried about whether or not she was perjuring herself, as not even being a citizen of England, I doubt anyone could reinforce it; and she was also not a party to the action IIRC, she was a witness for the defendant, publisher of the Sun. (It’s been said that this means she also wasn’t required to comply with the rules of evidence. I’m not a lawyer in either country, so you can take this with a grain of salt.)

Thank you for explaining all of that!

Her UK deposition videos are out there in SM. I'm sorry to say that I found her completely unbelievable under oath. Quite a few body language and statement analysis people seem to be in agreement. But the judge, Justice Nicol, accepted her testimony as truthful at the time and believed her false claims that she had donated the charity money as proof she was not doing it for the money. And here we are.

I'm kind of hoping that the door has been opened wide enough with the UK trial to allow them to use some of this testimony against her in this trial.

Thank you for explaining all of that!

my pleasure. For the record, I’m pretty sure that her deposition will make it into current MSM eventually because, as I mentioned, CourtTV did use it as part of their lunchtime discussion today (it’s the one with the electric blue backdrop wall behind her), but in the interests of expediency I thought the Daily Mail chunk could pinch hit.

Regarding that deposition video mentioned above

I know this is probably of absolutely no importance but why in the world is AH eating during something as important as a deposition?! And then just rudely wiping the crumbs off onto the floor? Makes her look like a messy pig. How disrespectful. If I had ANYTHING to do with ever hiring her for anything the vote would be a resounding NO from me from this point forward. She looks like someone who takes no pride in herself or the image her behavior projects. I really don’t think any new PR guy is going to help unless he changes her and how she acts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla