OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The compactor or dumpster are big possibilities. There have never been confirmed sightings, no witnesses and not even any clues. If he was in one of those, carried away and dumped in landfill, even if landfill was searched there's the possibility he would never be found.

I've always wondered how much of the video after closing LE looked at. Say BS was intoxicated enough to pass out somewhere in the bar - like a bathroom or dark corner. Or, if he somehow did get into the construction area and then feeling confused about where he was, sat down and fell asleep/passed out for a few hours. Did they watch the videos from all around the area through till the next time someone would have been back to work?

The compactor or dumpster are big possibilities. There have never been confirmed sightings, no witnesses and not even any clues. If he was in one of those, carried away and dumped in landfill, even if landfill was searched there's the possibility he would never be found.

Yes, absolutely... the landfill possibility bothers me all the time. It's a very upsetting thought.

This was the most stomach turning part of the HLN special - that a couple of the south campus area dumpsters wound up in Tennessee and no one realized that possibility in time to search.
That presents a very plausible scenario. I don't think that Brian made it home that morning. If he isn't still on the premises, then I think that he was the victim of a crime of opportunity on the way home. I don't think that street thugs would bother to bury a murder victim, but they very well might toss one into a dumpster.

That presents a very plausible scenario. I don't think that Brian made it home that morning. If he isn't still on the premises, then I think that he was the victim of a crime of opportunity on the way home. I don't think that street thugs would bother to bury a murder victim, but they very well might toss one into a dumpster.

How in the world did the dumpsters end up in Tennessee? Is that a usual practice for a refuse collection company to send bins from state to state?

The cell phone activity is much more important than the cameras, IMO. I'm convinced somebody nearby had his phone for some time after the disappearance. I do not believe the ringing was a "glitch".

Figuring out who exactly had his phone, how they got it, and what they did with it is the key to solving this thing, I believe.
I mentioned that he could have went out the back exit, because they said the camera wasn't panning correctly "at the time he went missing" his phone pinged (not sure if it was that weekend?) And again like 6 months after? He could have "taken off like he has before" used his phone to organise leaving with someone and probably turned his phone on 6 months later because he wouldn't think anyone would be trying to call it/the sim wouldn't be working, so he could get any numbers he needed and that's when Alexis was calling?
It kind of fits with his "I'm gunna take off" attitude and after losing his mum and not being close with dad or his brother, he might have left to live how he wants without constant judgement, because life is too short. It was said he loved Mexico and looking at Brain and his troubles before starting med school (DUI, depression) he very well COULD HAVE left. It seems more likely given his mental state, then being murdered, hidden and dumped elsewhere, like I've seen online. I just wish they would release the full video footage.

I mentioned that he could have went out the back exit, because they said the camera wasn't panning correctly "at the time he went missing" his phone pinged (not sure if it was that weekend?) And again like 6 months after? He could have "taken off like he has before" used his phone to organise leaving with someone and probably turned his phone on 6 months later because he wouldn't think anyone would be trying to call it/the sim wouldn't be working, so he could get any numbers he needed and that's when Alexis was calling?
It kind of fits with his "I'm gunna take off" attitude and after losing his mum and not being close with dad or his brother, he might have left to live how he wants without constant judgement, because life is too short. It was said he loved Mexico and looking at Brain and his troubles before starting med school (DUI, depression) he very well COULD HAVE left. It seems more likely given his mental state, then being murdered, hidden and dumped elsewhere, like I've seen online. I just wish they would release the full video footage.

I wish they'd release the full video footage too. And I mean everything they have from every camera, whether on the premises, around the corner, or down the street. What would there be to lose at this stage? I could understand them holding back in the earlier stages. Now it seems more like having a lot of eyes on it is worth a shot.

I wish they'd release the full video footage too. And I mean everything they have from every camera, whether on the premises, around the corner, or down the street. What would there be to lose at this stage? I could understand them holding back in the earlier stages. Now it seems more like having a lot of eyes on it is worth a shot.
I agree. I wish they would just release it. Websleuths literally helped find info on the Marion barter case! Why not let those who can help, help? Another case of bumbling police making assumptions or not bothering to do their job properly.

Forgive me if this is maybe factually irrelevant to the Shaffer case, but it's what came to mind as I'm reading this thread.

A month ago one of the kids I work with had a birthday get-together at one of the bars on South Street, here in Philadelphia. It was fun. I drank way too much vodka. I said goodbye to my friends and staggered out around 1am and waited for a bus on a street corner a few blocks down.

I was drunkenly reviewing the bus schedules on my phone when I heard a voice I didn't recognize. I looked up and 4 young dudes were sitting there in a car at the intersection. They were all staring directly at me with blank looks on their faces. Late-teens/early-20's. All wearing ball caps. The one kid asked me if I "was all right". I laughed a second and responded affirmatively.

There was an awkward moment of silence, then another kid asked, with a distinctly flat affect, "What happened?" I had knee surgery and am still walking with a cane at the moment. Before I could answer, one of the other kids asked, in his own flat tone, "Are you okay?"

This was a desolate section of South Street. There was no one around. No pedestrian traffic. No automobile traffic. Just me, my cane, and them. I immediately sensed at the time, and I still feel now, that I was being sized up for some kind of...unfortunate incident. I'm in my early-40's but I look a lot younger. I stood up straight, pushed my shoulders back, purposely took my weight off the cane. The point was to look as "not vulnerable" as possible. There was a few more moments of strange, tense silence, and then they drove off without another word, heading north towards downtown.

I got out of there, hobbled back in the direction of the bar, which was now closed. So I drunkenly wandered around the adjacent Old City neighborhood, which is decidedly safe. I was about to just call a rideshare, but by the Grace of God I stumbled upon the 40 bus, which heads to West Philly, where I live. A very random but fortuitous coincidence.

My point is, if those 4 little pricks (they could have been just bighearted kids sincerely concerned for my well being, but I doubt it) had snatched me up then dumped my remains in a pit somewhere after extracting the gold out of my teeth or whatever...everyone would now be discussing my missing person's case. And my friends and family would have no where to start. The randomness of my disappearance would be formidable.

Those kids just randomly rolled up on me. No one could have predicted it.

With all this mind, what my gut tells me, as I read about this case, is something was done to Shaffer. Alone and drunk= vulnerable. Even if you're 6 feet tall. This is likely, in my opinion, why the Shaffer case is so mysterious- if he was snatched, it transcends any clues we can discern out of his behavior, or any clues in what he said to anyone that night, because none of it would be relevant. If he was snatched, he had no agency in being snatched. It was done to him. It's an intrusion onto his timeline, entirely dictated by whoever's responsible. My guess is it'll take either the person responsible admitting it, or being ratted out by someone they've confided in and/or was an accomplice.

In no way am I advocating defeatism or apathy. Apologies, respectfully, if that's what it sounds like. I could be 100% wrong, and I'm heartened to see threads like this. It's a good thing that we discuss this case and try to sort it out. I just can't shake this dread that he was...descended upon. And that's a formidable thing to unravel. The randomness of the unknown person's- Shaffer's possible abductor/murder- actions makes it formidable. Just as it would have been in my nearly-but-didn't-happen-case.

These are just my thoughts as I read. Hopefully we find this guy alive. I sincerely hope so. Sorry about the novel.
I keep going between "he could have left" because of his past behaviour and then changing back to "something bad happened to him" I just doubt they'd take him, when most just bash someone and take what they want and leave them there. I went through the theories I can think of and I keep coming back to thinking he could have left. The photos on reddit and fb have convinced me he could be alive, but that might not even be him (it does look like him when he had long hair before) and the picture of the 4 guys, one user mentioned the beer labels were used after 2010. I'm torn between which is more likely. Anyone in Mexico should keep an eye out for him with his long hair.
There was also that other sighting in Mexico where some guy thought he saw him in a restaurant and asked if he was brian and he just covered his face with a napkin? I'm not too sure about that one, but I wanted to know what restaurant it was!

what happened there?
An Australian woman, Marion Barter, who secretly changed her name to Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel and went missing in 1997 and her daughter has been looking for her ever since. They've just completed the inquest into her disappearance where she was tied to a Belgian conman who swindles single, vulnerable women. He has some very shady answers and has had over 30 alleged "identities", but only admits to 13. It was a roller coaster! Check out "The Lady Vanishes" podcast and how a websleuth found a personals ad for a guy with the same last she changed hers to... crazy stuff.

An Australian woman, Marion Barter, who secretly changed her name to Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel and went missing in 1997 and her daughter has been looking for her ever since. They've just completed the inquest into her disappearance where she was tied to a Belgian conman who swindles single, vulnerable women. He has some very shady answers and has had over 30 alleged "identities", but only admits to 13. It was a roller coaster! Check out "The Lady Vanishes" podcast and how a websleuth found a personals ad for a guy with the same last she changed hers to... crazy stuff.
I forgot to add that you can watch the inquest on YouTube NSW Coroners court- Marion Barter.

I keep thinking about this. I first heard about it on the crime junkie podcast last week and keep going back to it. How did he just disappear? Someone had to have seen something and they just aren't saying something.

After some digging I am starting to question if many of these murders/disappearances are connected to a serial killer in the area. I’ve read some YouTube comments of an individual claiming Adam Saleh was framed in Julie Popovich’s murder and the real killer may have also been involved with Brian. Apparently, there are a lot of connections and Saleh was convicted on largely circumstantial evidence and CPD lost in the Supreme Court of Ohio to overturn the case files. The individual alleges the suspect has ties to CPD as well.

With regards to Julie Popovich, apparently there was a tall man wearing a shell necklace seen with Julie that night that was never identified. This individual believes that could have been Brian as this man never came forward as a witness or in the trial, possibly because Brian was already missing/dead. Brian and Julie went to the same high school, which is a strange coincidence. The theory further suggests the individual matching the description of a man that was seen with Julie late that night, is also seen going down the escalator as Brian is coming up (black hoodie). A motive for killing Brian was because he was with Julie that night and would have been able to identify the alleged killer and thus would exonerate Adam Saleh. The individual also has property in Hilliard where Brian’s phone pinged.

It seems plausible to me and would explain exactly why there has been no traction on Brian’s case. This should not be difficult to solve IMO and one would think LE has the suspect’s name. The question is whether they covered anything up/chose not to pursue.

I can link the video with comments but not sure if that violates WS rules.

After some digging I am starting to question if many of these murders/disappearances are connected to a serial killer in the area. I’ve read some YouTube comments of an individual claiming Adam Saleh was framed in Julie Popovich’s murder and the real killer may have also been involved with Brian. Apparently, there are a lot of connections and Saleh was convicted on largely circumstantial evidence and CPD lost in the Supreme Court of Ohio to overturn the case files. The individual alleges the suspect has ties to CPD as well.

With regards to Julie Popovich, apparently there was a tall man wearing a shell necklace seen with Julie that night that was never identified. This individual believes that could have been Brian as this man never came forward as a witness or in the trial, possibly because Brian was already missing/dead. Brian and Julie went to the same high school, which is a strange coincidence. The theory further suggests the individual matching the description of a man that was seen with Julie late that night, is also seen going down the escalator as Brian is coming up (black hoodie). A motive for killing Brian was because he was with Julie that night and would have been able to identify the alleged killer and thus would exonerate Adam Saleh. The individual also has property in Hilliard where Brian’s phone pinged.

It seems plausible to me and would explain exactly why there has been no traction on Brian’s case. This should not be difficult to solve IMO and one would think LE has the suspect’s name. The question is whether they covered anything up/chose not to pursue.

I can link the video with comments but not sure if that violates WS rules.

OK, I'm intrigued. But it's worth mentioning that Adam Saleh was convicted of murder, which carries a high burden of proof. His appeal was dismissed.

He maintains his innocence. The Ohio Innocence Project was successful in its court case to get the police investigation records. Yet nothing seems to have come out of it with regard to Saleh's case.

Could the Ohio Innocence Project have decided not to pursue the matter further upon reviewing the investigation records? It looks that way, but I don't know for sure.

If the Ohio Innocence Project chose not to pursue the matter because they felt it wasn't viable to pursue after reviewing the investigation records, that would seemingly say a lot about the theory of Saleh being innocent and/or framed.

Last edited:
OK, I'm intrigued. But it's worth mentioning that Adam Saleh was convicted of murder, which carries a high burden of proof. His appeal was dismissed.

He maintains his innocence. The Ohio Innocence Project was successful in its court case to get the police investigation records. Yet nothing seems to have come out of it with regard to Saleh's case.

Could the Ohio Innocence Project have decided not to pursue the matter further upon reviewing the investigation records? It looks that way, but I don't know for sure.

If the Ohio Innocence Project chose not to pursue the matter because they felt it wasn't viable to pursue after reviewing the investigation records, that would seemingly say a lot about the theory of Saleh being innocent and/or framed.
Totally agreed. I’ve read a lot of conflicting information on Saleh. However, I wish someone could get the records to really see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member