Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to 1 small and 1 medium food distribution this week. I noticed the quantity of protein items is lower lately. Not pictured is a pkg of ground beef and a chicken breast meal. That’s plenty for me so I’m not complaining.

It was great to get a gluten free pizza and dairy free milk. My oldest is going to try the pizza. The youngest was happy to have the milk to go with all that cereal I gave her.

A friend is going to take that Hot Capicola. I have no idea what she’s going to use it for! I had never seen asparagus in a can before. My oldest likes fresh asparagus.

I have 4 bags of apples now. I need to make cooked apples and freeze them. I don’t think anyone will eat that apple pie.

I organized my chest freezer yesterday. Now I need to do the fridge’s freezer.

what are the 'cherubs' in the first picture?

Reactions: JDG
what are the 'cherubs' in the first picture?
Those are tiny tomatoes which my kiddo took home to roast. I am not a huge fan of them unless there are no regular tomatoes. Altho I do have a cherry tomato plant in my garden.

Hey @PayrollNerd I am sorry you were in the hospital. I hope you are on the road to recovery. Take good care and for sure take advantage of convenience foods!
I sure wish I was! I had a heart attack last Fri 4/22, stent added 4/25, came home 4/26 and to top that off...... I tested positive for Covid. So I'm over here struggling for a few days now. I've been so good and worked hard to stay safe.

My youngest picked up some soup, bread, lunch meat and ice cream for me. It as $30!!! I just can't believe the prices. I can't go to a food distribution but I'll be fine. I can't swallow much anyway.

Last edited:
I sure wish I was! I had a heart attack last Fri 4/22, stent added 4/25, came home 4/26 and to top that off...... I tested positive for Covid. So I'm over here struggling for a few days now. I've been so good and worked hard to stay safe.

My youngest picked up some soup, bread, lunch meat and ice cream for me. It as $30!!! I just can't believe the prices. I can't go to a food distribution but I'll be fine. I can't swallow much anyway.
Oh my gosh @PayrollNerd!

Awww @PayrollNerd I am sorry!! This just breaks my heart. I know you have been through so much. To worry about your health and grocery prices. Which are sky high. Please know you are in my positive thoughts. Hang in there. Try and sit in the warm sun if you can. Even for a minute.

I am so sorry to learn about your recent health issues. Know that you are in my prayers.

Oh, my gosh, PayrollNerd! I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you're feeling better soon. What a double whammy - a heart attack and COVID19. Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it.

Oh no! Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Thanks for the lovely messages!! I was able to have warm soup twice today. It felt so good on my throat. I’ve essentially been on liquids since Friday. I cut the crust off the bread and had a nice soft sandwich. It took me a while to get it down. Little bites, lots of water. I noticed the label on the package of lunch meat was over $7.00!!! Probably get 3 sandwiches from it.

omg! sending you healing energy

So in my Covid haze on Sat., I ordered what I thought was a normal package of cookies on Amazon. Why? No idea. I rarely buy cookies to begin with. I thought $5.69 was a bit pricey but I wanted to have a dessert on hand. Something small that wouldn't go stale. It's not like I can pop over to the store at the moment.

Anyway, the box arrives Sunday and I'm focused on my numbing throat spray because that's what I was desperate for. I pull out the package of cookies...... "Party Size" how in the world did I miss that?!? I won't be having a party anytime soon but, I'll have cookies for weeks! LOL!!!

So, new side effect of Covid I guess ? Ha!

upload_2022-5-3_14-15-23.png

So in my Covid haze on Sat., I ordered what I thought was a normal package of cookies on Amazon. Why? No idea. I rarely buy cookies to begin with. I thought $5.69 was a bit pricey but I wanted to have a dessert on hand. Something small that wouldn't go stale. It's not like I can pop over to the store at the moment.

Anyway, the box arrives Sunday and I'm focused on my numbing throat spray because that's what I was desperate for. I pull out the package of cookies...... "Party Size" how in the world did I miss that?!? I won't be having a party anytime soon but, I'll have cookies for weeks! LOL!!!

View attachment 342385

LOL! If you're craving chocolate, you're in good shape for a while :D DH just finished his winter supply of McCann's Original (plain) instant oatmeal. He likes cereal with fresh fruit and almond milk for breakfast year-round and found a source for McCann's two years ago. Meijer and Kroger don't carry it, and the instant oatmeal packets rarely go on sale at Nino's. DH was having a hard time finding any size box of Grapenuts for warm weather months, so he ordered 10 large boxes that should get him through the summer. He finished the oatmeal first and just started on the Grapenuts.

Last fall, I mentioned that we ordered a 20# bag of whole walnuts for the neighborhood squirrels. Starting around Thanksgiving, we tossed a handful on the deck every day and watched the squirrels retrieve the nuts. They ate some and buried some. They came to expect the nuts each morning and sometimes showed up before one of us had put the nuts outside. The walnuts were gone on April 1, so the squirrels got an April Fool's Day surprise when there were no more nuts out on our deck :D

Our local grocer makes a delicious rotisserie chicken salad. I buy it every so often to have on croissants. Stopped by last night and a small container was $9 :eek:. And I mean SMALL! I passed.

Chris' coworker caught some lovely speckled trout yesterday and shared with us. So, I'm going to make pecan crusted trout with browned butter tonight.

LOL! If you're craving chocolate, you're in good shape for a while :D DH just finished his winter supply of McCann's Original (plain) instant oatmeal. He likes cereal with fresh fruit and almond milk for breakfast year-round and found a source for McCann's two years ago. Meijer and Kroger don't carry it, and the instant oatmeal packets rarely go on sale at Nino's. DH was having a hard time finding any size box of Grapenuts for warm weather months, so he ordered 10 large boxes that should get him through the summer. He finished the oatmeal first and just started on the Grapenuts.

Last fall, I mentioned that we ordered a 20# bag of whole walnuts for the neighborhood squirrels. Starting around Thanksgiving, we tossed a handful on the deck every day and watched the squirrels retrieve the nuts. They ate some and buried some. They came to expect the nuts each morning and sometimes showed up before one of us had put the nuts outside. The walnuts were gone on April 1, so the squirrels got an April Fool's Day surprise when there were no more nuts out on our deck :D

I'm picturing squirrels picketing your porch, carrying signs like "Unfair to Squirrels" and such!

Ohmygosh :eek:
Sending Positive thoughts and vibes for a quick recovery.
Take care !!

Is there even such a thing as too many cookies :D

We’ve had several size related Amazon ooops ordering issues. Let’s see.
Wee little bottles of Gatorade.

GIGANTIC bottle of pancake syrup -I may never live that one down

Ridiculously small slotted spoons (thought they were “serving ware” sized, nope regular tablespoon sized)

I’m pretty sure there are more I can’t remember right now :D

View attachment 342385

Last edited:
I'm picturing squirrels picketing your porch, carrying signs like "Unfair to Squirrels" and such!

The squirrels continued to appear on the deck for a few days but must have finally figured out that we were not going to feed them. They turned to their buried stash: We see them digging for the nuts that they put away during the winter.

USPS carrier left bag and post card for food collection next Saturday (May 14). Time to clean out the pantry and pick up a few items that are always needed at food banks.
Ours was today but I didn’t dare put anything out since I’m still testing positive for Covid. I have a number of items I’d like to share tho. I know someone can eat peanut butter!! Just not us. Maybe once I’m better, I can set a box of items out with a free sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member