NH - Djeswende ‘Wendy’, 66, & Stephen Reid, 67, Shot on Hiking Trail, Concord, Apr 2022 *Logan Clegg Arrested*

Ugh - shot several times each? Does anyone know of other cases of hikers being shot during an attempted robbery? Most people out for a walk have very little of value on them so robbery seems like such an unlikely motive. But this couple also seem so mild-mannered and from such a low-risk demographic, to have been a victim of a targeted attack by someone they possibly knew also seems incredibly unlikely.

I am at a loss for what happened here - really hoping the police have more leads.
Random robberies of hikers are generally rare for the reason you stated––robbers want to steal items of value, and those out hiking trails typically leave valuable items (aside from cellphones) behind. IMO a robber would be much more likely (and successful) to break into vehicles parked at a trailhead than trying to confront and rob hikers on a trail. With that being said, I was able to find a few instances (literally only 2 that match the description of WR and SR's murder) of violent trail robberies.

David Ruenzel, a 60-year-old retired English and journalism teacher, was killed during a robbery while hiking at the Huckleberry Botanic Regional Preserve in Oakland, CA in 2014. His murderers have not been apprehended.

In 2014, 69-year-old Francis “Pat” Gregory was hiking on the Iron Canyon Trail off State Route 36-E in Red Bluff, CA with a friend when a gunman confronted the pair in a remote area about 100 yards from the trailhead and demanded their personal belongings. Although neither of the men resisted the robber's demands, the gunman shot both men, killing Pat and critically injuring his friend. As of 2019, Pat's murderer had not been identified.

29-year-old filmmaker Jason Cortez was killed while hiking in Los Angeles' Ernest E. Debs Regional Park in September 2021 by a single shot to the back. Police believe he was shot by a single rifle shot from a man hiding in the bushes about 75-100ft away. Robbery is not a motive in this case, however.

Who gave the info for the sketch - another hiker?
The attorney general's office said the man in the sketch was seen in the vicinity of the area where the couple was killed. Investigators said the man was wearing a dark blue jacket, possibly with a hood, khaki-colored pants and a backpack.
The person of interest was seen in the vicinity of the shooting incident on April 18 wearing a dark blue jacket, possibly with a hood, khaki-colored pants, and he was carrying a black backpack.

The NH Attorney General has released a composite sketch of a person of interest in the investigation into the homicides of Stephen Reid and Djeswende Reid
Wow! Let's hope someone recognizes the POI in the sketch and can help bring Stephen and Djeswende's killer to justice.

I wonder how they created this sketch? Did another hiker see this man on the trails/in the area? Or was he captured on surveillance footage?

Wow! Let's hope someone recognizes the POI in the sketch and can help bring Stephen and Djeswende's killer to justice.

I wonder how they created this sketch? Did another hiker see this man on the trails/in the area? Or was he captured on surveillance footage?
If they had footage, I imagine they'd release it. It's much easier for a witness to recognize someone from something like that, as opposed to a sketch from that.

It's gotta be from a witness.

Person Of Interest Sought In Concord Retired Couple Killings Case – Patch NH
<snipped & BBM>
The man is described as white, in his late 20s or early 30s, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall, with a medium build, short brown hair, and clean-shaven. He was wearing a dark blue jacket, possibly with a hood, and khaki-colored pants. He was also carrying a black backpack.

----

Based on the sketch and the description (he was clean-shaven with short hair), I don't think this man was homeless. Given the fact he is white and relatively young (late 20s or early 30s), he does fit the profile of a violent hate crime offender––according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 24% of offenders in violent hate crimes are between the ages of 18 and 29. IMO I think this was a racially-motivated crime of opportunity rather than a targeted killing or a robbery gone wrong.

<snipped & BBM>
The man is described as white, in his late 20s or early 30s, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall, with a medium build, short brown hair, and clean-shaven. He was wearing a dark blue jacket, possibly with a hood, and khaki-colored pants. He was also carrying a black backpack.

----

Based on the sketch and the description (he was clean-shaven with short hair), I don't think this man was homeless. Given the fact he is white and relatively young (late 20s or early 30s), he does fit the profile of a violent hate crime offender––according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 24% of offenders in violent hate crimes are between the ages of 18 and 29. IMO I think this was a racially-motivated crime of opportunity rather than a targeted killing or a robbery gone wrong.
I totally agree. Regardless of the motive (hate crime is definitely a possibility), I think it's pretty clear this is more of a random event, as opposed to a targeted killing.

That obviously makes it harder to solve.

<snipped & BBM>

----

So happy to see a POI in this case. I do feel this terrible crime will be solved.

JMO

<snipped & BBM>

----

My mind is also moving in that direction with the release of the sketch and the horrific murders that occurred in Buffalo. In fact, I hope they know his whereabouts on April 20th. I hope this sketch leads to justice for this couple.

<snipped & BBM>

----

This will sound odd, but the mention of khaki colored pants rang a bell with me. We saw the white supremicists march in khaki pants and polo shirts ( the dated preppy look) in Charlottesville. His outfit also seems to be out of place attire for a local casual hiking trail ?

Very glad LE seems to making progress. This will generate tips for sure

All IMO

Just for curiosity, why would a person be of interest that was in the area days before the actual shooting? I’m not connecting the dots on this for some reason. What am I missing?

Edited for a typo.
The Reid's went to the trails April 18 & were found April 21.

Tips from the public, authorities said, helped lead to the sketch of the person of interest, described as a white male in his late 20s or early 30s, approximately 5’10” tall, medium build, with short brown hair, and clean- shaven. He was seen in the vicinity of the Broken Ground trails on Monday, 18 April, wearing a dark blue jacket (possibly with a hood), khaki-colored pants, and carrying a black backpack.

Djeswende Reid and Stephen Reid were found fatally shot in a wooded area near their home last month; a $33,500 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest and indictment in their murders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back