Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

<modsnip - not an approved source> As pointed at in the above post it seems there was a school situation/incident that had affected her to the point of asking for a leave of absence. It does seem odd to me that she would go to a park but not enter it as per the cellphone pings. Leaving her car unlocked was not something she would do according to her brother, which is another red flag to me. No mention if any of her clothes ,like a jacket/coat was missing as it was pretty cold there. No personal items, phone .wallet ,purse etc were recovered. Hiking boots left in car (I wonder if they showed signs of being in the mud). I feel this is more of a recovery search at this point and I hope her loved ones get some closure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd feel more convinced if I heard that quote directly from LE. In my experience, the press, especially those with limited staff, don't always choose their words as carefully as we might expect them to.
Oh gosh, that is SO true. A reporter could hear "We still don't think there was any foul play" and report that as "foul play was ruled out." I've seen so many media articles be "updated" as new info becomes available so the previous error was just corrected, no biggie to them, but a biggie to us as readers.

As a local, I know many, many are still on edge here. Just because there was no obvious crime scene doesn't mean she could not have been quickly abducted if someone lured her into their car or whatever, and then grabbed and tossed her phone into that area where it last pinged. Or it could be a case of self-harm, but then... where is her body? I don't know the logistics of hiring a PI, but my first thought was that they are hiring one because they think she may still be alive? Why not just hire a search team, like EquuSearch from Texas, Tim Miller's company? Or maybe a PI is needed as the controlling lead of a search if police are no longer involved? No idea.

I still think they need to do a thorough "re-search" of the first area they searched. Have read many stories of bodies being overlooked despite careful searches. All it takes is for one searcher to sneeze or get distracted talking to someone and they miss a small area on the other side where they didn't glance to...

Oh gosh, that is SO true. A reporter could hear "We still don't think there was any foul play" and report that as "foul play was ruled out." I've seen so many media articles be "updated" as new info becomes available so the previous error was just corrected, no biggie to them, but a biggie to us as readers.

As a local, I know many, many are still on edge here. Just because there was no obvious crime scene doesn't mean she could not have been quickly abducted if someone lured her into their car or whatever, and then grabbed and tossed her phone into that area where it last pinged. Or it could be a case of self-harm, but then... where is her body? I don't know the logistics of hiring a PI, but my first thought was that they are hiring one because they think she may still be alive? Why not just hire a search team, like EquuSearch from Texas, Tim Miller's company? Or maybe a PI is needed as the controlling lead of a search if police are no longer involved? No idea.

I still think they need to do a thorough "re-search" of the first area they searched. Have read many stories of bodies being overlooked despite careful searches. All it takes is for one searcher to sneeze or get distracted talking to someone and they miss a small area on the other side where they didn't glance to...
Totally agree they need to search the same areas again - even if it is done with citizen volunteers. I am hopeful that a PI will unearth something.

I'd be curious to know what the movements of Megan's cell phone were since the time she left home to travel to the Red Lion. If she ran into an unsavory character along her journey, at least we might know where that could have happened.
And did she venture out on that Saturday evening after talking with her brother at 9pm? Or can LE at least confirm she was at the Red Lion when they spoke?
And what time did she arrive at Longcope Park? Was it 4am? 6am? 11am? Did that coincide with her normal sleep schedule? And when her phone arrived at Longcope, did it immediately head towards that residential area or did it stay idle in the parking lot for several minutes which would give her time to be approached by someone?
And I'm sure LE doesn't do this lightly, but can they tell if another cell phone user was in the parking lot at the same time?
And lastly, I know this sounds crazy, but how fast did her cell phone travel into the residential area? Could she have been running from somebody or could the phone have been thrown across the street? I know I'm reaching here but I'm guessing the cell phone data is one of the only clues that LE has.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know what the movements of Megan's cell phone were since the time she left home to travel to the Red Lion. If she ran into an unsavory character along her journey, at least we might know where that could have happened.
And did she venture out on that Saturday evening after talking with her brother at 9pm? Or can LE at least confirm she was at the Red Lion when they spoke?
And what time did she arrive at Longcope Park? Was it 4am? 6am? 11am? Did that coincide with her normal sleep schedule? And when her phone arrived at Longcope, did it immediately head towards that residential area or did it stay idle in the parking lot for several minutes which would give her time to be approached by someone?
And I'm sure LE doesn't do this lightly, but can they tell if another cell phone user was in the parking lot at the same time?
And lastly, I know this sounds crazy, but how fast did her cell phone travel into the residential area? Could she have been running from somebody or could the phone have been thrown across the street? I know I'm reaching here but I'm guessing the cell phone data is one of the only clues that LE has.

YES! ^^^ The same questions have been spinning through my head for weeks. Hopefully that's all been looked at, and if not, hopefully the PI will. Did she eat at the inn Th, Fri and Sat nights as well, and if yes, was it room service or in one of their restaurants? If she didn't eat there, where did she go? Did she only go to Longcope once?

It was quoted that when she called her brother she was reading a book and eating soup. Guessing that she went to the restaurant and brought it back to her room. Seems she had some issues to work out and wanted to be alone. I thought it was confirmed she stayed at the Red Lion Inn and time of her intended stay.

After reading through the posts, my gut says self harm seems most likely. I wonder if whatever trauma she'd recently experienced had some new development right before she went away or while she was away. :( I hope they find her soon.

And her brother commented on the official Find Meghan Marohn website that there will be a vigil for Meghan held at Shaker High School tomorrow (May 13th). It will take place at 3 P.M. https://findmeghanmarohn.com

"Naple said there are still so many questions left unanswered about her disappearance. He says the family is looking into hiring a private investigator to look into her case."

I'm surprised that they haven't yet hired a PI. I also can't believe it was March when she went missing - that's a long time to have zero reported progress. very sad.

"Something upset her at school having to do with another colleague,” Ruth told Dateline.

Oh, so.....I didn't know that detail. I had presumed it was general stress of the job.

I wonder if that colleague was male and she rebuffed his advances, he didn't like it, and harassed her or made her life uncomfortable outside of school....?

MOO.

From the official https://findmeghanmarohn.com/information site. Peter posted a recent reply. I have converted the name of the poster to initials in red. I've also bolded new information re: boots left in the vehicle.

Hi A.S.. Once again, just to clarify, there has been a lot of misinformation that is being spread around. Please refer to this website for the facts. As this is still considered an active investigation, there are details that we cannot comment on. I want to clear up any misinformation though. Her car was NOT at Longcope Park on Saturday. There was a report of someone who thought that they saw her crossing the street at Stockbridge/Church St, but police has spoken to that person and based on the information we have about her wherabouts on that day, it was NOT possible that it was her. We have checked all geocaches in the area, and she did NOT record being there. She was NOT at the gas station (Mobile/Lipton Mart) on Sunday. Her car was abandoned at the park, unlocked. There were a pair of BOOTS inside, however, they were NOT hiking boots.

Oh, so.....I didn't know that detail. I had presumed it was general stress of the job.

I wonder if that colleague was male and she rebuffed his advances, he didn't like it, and harassed her or made her life uncomfortable outside of school....?

MOO.
Since the school refuses to say whether Megan was placed on leave (vs choosing to go on leave on her own), I'm somewhat inclined to think she was placed on leave. Could be totally wrong, maybe the school is trying to cover their butts if she was mistreated by a colleague.

I think I've read all of the comments from Peter as well as all of the news articles. Has it ever been confirmed MM intended to hike at that particular area on Sunday? I know it's BELIEVED she was possibly geocaching or hiking there, but was that based on prior conversations between the two or just assumed based on where the vehicle was parked?

It strikes me as very odd that she would park at the park and then wander onto private property when there's very clearly a parking lot with a trail off of it where her car was parked.. However, how accurate would her location data be? Especially in an area with potentially limited cell reception? I've seen my phone and my kids' locations get pretty wonky on Find my Phone and Life360. I assume a cell provider may be able to pinpoint a more exact location?
I pulled up a map and did a 1/2 mile radius from the parking lot. It definitely puts the search close to the river, but if it was a suicide, why not park closer to the river? Or why that particular park when there would have been far more scenic hikes south of the river. There are several sections of the AT that run through that particular area. I suppose a suicidal person may or may not act "logically" to someone else.
On the other hand, if someone else was responsible for her disappearance, why park at that little park area with nearby homes knowing it may draw attention from the locals. The parking lot is essentially directly across the road from a house.

In the NBC News article linked above, her brother Peter tells NBC, in reference to her cell phone pings:

"Peter told Dateline that he joined the search and hiked the surrounding area with the police to try to help find his sister. “We were able to obtain through her Google account, her Gmail account and a couple of cell phone pings to the cell towers,” Peter told Dateline. “There was three either GPS or cell phone pings for the rest of the day, all on private property across the road from Longcope Park.” He added that the area is full of “streams, ravines, and dense vegetation.” They were unable to find any trace of Meghan. And still haven’t."

The other day I read that authorities cannot subpoena cell phone records in a missing persons case unless they suspect foul play. Incredibly frustrating, I'm sure, for legitimate missing persons cases when the family knows for certain they didn't just jet off to disappear intentionally. "People are allowed to disappear willingly and keep their privacy" was the gist of several articles I read. Does the above information from Peter follow along those lines in anyone's opinion here? That is, they have still not said they suspect foul play, but the investigation is ongoing. Could they subpoena location data but NOT text messages and email data, for example, if they have not classified this as a crime? Or does his information above sound like they probably have her text messages and email as well from the phone (which would be great and hopefully helpful, pro or con, at this point)?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back