LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in the article I responded too - the couple stated Lacey never complained of her sores and that Sheila Fletcher routinely cleaned them
First I'd seen of it was in that article.
Don't believe it either
Many things in this case I find perplexing but one of them is the pain she had to be in had to be horrendous I cant even imagine. She had to complain somehow.Scream, cry I dont know what else but I have a hard time believing that she would have bed sores to the bones and be okay with it. Its just impossible, the question is how come she didn’t scream her lungs out in pain enough to make her “parents “ take action.
Wonder if she was medicated in order to not feel pain. IMO

Many things in this case I find perplexing but one of them is the pain she had to be in had to be horrendous I cant even imagine. She had to complain somehow.Scream, cry I dont know what else but I have a hard time believing that she would have bed sores to the bones and be okay with it. Its just impossible, the question is how come she didn’t scream her lungs out in pain enough to make her “parents “ take action.
Wonder if she was medicated in order to not feel pain. IMO

Part of autism is feeling pain differently then other people. Some are very difficult to anesthetize.

Not excusing the extremely negligent 'caregivers,' trying to find all the pieces to this puzzle.

jmho ymmv lrr

Such strong painkillers are only on doctor's prescription.
Only mild ones are over the counter.

If Lacey did have an ASD, she may have been prescribed medication to help with other issues, possibly behaviours that may have been of a challenging nature to some. She may have been prescribed something like Risperidone, it is prescribed for some individuals with ASD and behaviours that are physically aggressive/physically challenging. Too much Risperidone will make someone sleepy/very tired, they can experience difficulties standing or walking, feel dizzy, have seizures, quickened heart rate etc. Something caused Lacey to not want to leave the safety of her sofa, possible side effects to meds that Lacey didn't fully understand and she experienced one of these side effects and associated it with leaving the sofa and parents weren't interested enough/invested enough to notice? Just a thought.
Would be interesting to know whether she was on medication, if so, what medication and when the prescription was last filled? If she was on medication, her parents could have kept her sedated, especially in the last 2 years due too Covid and lockdown where interactions with Dr's and pharmacists etc have been limited. Dont know bout the States, but has been virtually impossible to get a face to face GP appointment where I live during Covid and even now, surgery still prefers telephone consult.
Can't believe that NO-ONE has been involved in Lacey's care, support and well-being needs since her teens/early 20's. It's downright disgraceful and it hurts my heart to think about her and what she endured.

All MOO

Ebm for accuracy

If Lacey did have an ASD, she may have been prescribed medication to help with other issues, possibly behaviours that may have been of a challenging nature to some. She may have been prescribed something like Risperidone, it is prescribed for some individuals with ASD and behaviours that are physically aggressive/physically challenging. Too much Risperidone will make someone sleepy/very tired, they can experience difficulties standing or walking, feel dizzy, have seizures, quickened heart rate etc. Something caused Lacey to not want to leave the safety of her sofa, possible side effects to meds that Lacey didn't fully understand and she experienced one of these side effects and associated it with leaving the sofa and parents weren't interested enough/invested enough to notice? Just a thought.
Would be interesting to know whether she was on medication, if so, what medication and when the prescription was last filled? If she was on medication, her parents could have kept her sedated, especially in the last 2 years due too Covid and lockdown where interactions with Dr's and pharmacists etc have been limited. Dont know bout the States, but has been virtually impossible to get a face to face GP appointment where I live during Covid and even now, surgery still prefers telephone consult.
Can't believe that NO-ONE has been involved in Lacey's care, support and well-being needs since her teens/early 20's. It's downright disgraceful and it hurts my heart to think about her and what she endured.

All MOO

Ebm for accuracy

About medications IF she was medicated its all speculation and thinking out loud.
Medication didn’t have to be hers, her parents could have some issues and meds prescribed for them. My mom suffers from back problems and she has pretty strong meds at home that me and my dad took few times when in much pain from something.

All MOO

Ebm for accuracy
I think I read that she hadn't been to the doctor in years, and I doubt any doctor would prescribe that kind of medication without ever seeing the patient. Maybe for a regular patient, but not for someone he has never seen. This case is overwhelming. How did they live in that house with another human being slowly tortured and killed on their couch. Did they have her in a room where they didn't have to look at her? Even so, the smell had to be absolutely horrendous. Do we know, was she able to speak? God Bless her soul. She is clean and happy now. May those two who call themselves parents get whatever God doles out to them. Katt

I think I read that she hadn't been to the doctor in years, and I doubt any doctor would prescribe that kind of medication without ever seeing the patient. Maybe for a regular patient, but not for someone he has never seen. This case is overwhelming. How did they live in that house with another human being slowly tortured and killed on their couch. Did they have her in a room where they didn't have to look at her? Even so, the smell had to be absolutely horrendous. Do we know, was she able to speak? God Bless her soul. She is clean and happy now. May those two who call themselves parents get whatever God doles out to them. Katt

You make some very good points. I would expect a doctor would not renew pain med prescription without actually seeing a patient periodically or even via video ( telehealth) during a pandemic. I have no doubt these two so-called parents totally ignored the needs of their daughter. The evidence? She was found dead, parts of her poor body melted into the sofa- with urine and feces that had accumulated for years! These two monsters get no benefit of the doubt from me and I hope a judge throws the book at them. They didn't just allow her to die they assisted in her death through their horrific negligence, which is why I believe this is considered a case of homicide.

What is even more telling about who they are, is they put on a face for the public, going to church, charming strangers, while watching their daughter suffer until she finally perished in filth, and no doubt infected. Can you even imagine the stink of the feces, urine and infection that was emanating from Lacey's poor body? Did she moan, cry out, before she lost consciousness. One cannot even grasp how human beings could allow this to occur- let alone to their flesh and blood. This is a homicide IMO.

Last edited:
About medications IF she was medicated its all speculation and thinking out loud.
Medication didn’t have to be hers, her parents could have some issues and meds prescribed for them. My mom suffers from back problems and she has pretty strong meds at home that me and my dad took few times when in much pain from something.

That's why I stated it was 'Just a thought', and said all moo at the end.
We know very little

Sorry to obsess about "home schooling" :)

I could understand it, if she was assigned a tutor by Education Department b/c of her social anxiety.

This way her mental state would have been monitored and adequate measures taken.

But just taken out of school at 14/15 with parents as teachers???

With no teaching qualifications?

My mind boggles o_O
I'm sorry but this death is not the result of "Home Schooling"
It is extremely offensive to me as a homeschooling family who has successful adult children and thriving younger ones to continue to read about the "shock" that parents can educate their children. Lacey was 36 years old when she died.

It is extremely offensive to me as a homeschooling family who has successful adult children and thriving younger ones to continue to read about the "shock" that parents can educate their children. Lacey was 36 years old when she died.
"Home schooling" in this case caused that Lacey lost contact with professionals/ counsellors at school depriving her of adequate treatment.

From the age of 14/15 she was at the mercy of her parents, cut off from others.

Her misery started from this decision in my opinion.

Last edited:
I know that in my state the rules and follow up are too loose. Anyone can say they are home schooling . I personally know of a family that home schools and and the kids are getting a good, well rounded education. I know of a family that is getting a so-so education, and I know of one where the kids got a bit of book learning, but they definitely didn’t get a good education. All in the same state following the same guidelines.

I’ve read some people wonder why the parents called emergency when they could’ve disposed of Lacey’s body? Like many of you here, I’ve read countless stories like this one and in the majority of cases, the parents/guardians/carers, have called emergency when the victim has died or they’ve died soon after admittance to hospital.

I think it’s arrogance and a strange kind of logic applied by these fiends.

They think authorities can’t determine the cause of death,
the death can’t be attributed to them,
neglect and starvation can be blamed on the victim (even 10 yr old Josie Ann Abney)
they feel justified in their treatment of the victim,
it‘s not murder because the final breath of the victim wasn’t taken by them by a murderous act like assault or use of a weapon,
the victim became a scapegoat and they derived some kind of pleasure from witnessing the suffering,
the victim is a ‘problem’ and needs to be kept hidden from society,
they say there was no other option,
their discipline style is severe and extreme,
they lack empathy,
they believe everyone would do the same in their shoes but when discovered, no one understands.

JMO

Great post.

And I keep coming back to what their relatives knew & thought. Did no one advocate for her, for them to choose another option? It definitely seems like her parents closed the door on other options, for their own warped reasons.

I mentioned home schooling earlier myself, not in judgmental way but it’s because here in Sweden home schooling is illegal and in many EU is the same. It’s just difficult to understand for me personally since the concept of home schooling is new to me.
Of course parents have right to educate their children and most do great job just as you do.
Problem is that some people are using this opportunity to cut of a child from services which might spot ongoing abuse.
Home schooling then is just an excuse to isolate a child.
Here school system is working to spot problems at child’s home and make sure that child gets adequate education, health care and social contacts.
Its not that home schooling is bad but can be used by bad people. Sorry you found our talk about it offensive.

What is even more telling about who they are, is they put on a face for the public, going to church, charming strangers, while watching their daughter suffer until she finally perished in filth, and no doubt infected.
Adding to this point, I think someone who knew the couple was quoted as saying that they would do anything for someone in need. I am at such a loss with this.:(

Adding to this point, I think someone who knew the couple was quoted as saying that they would do anything for someone in need. I am at such a loss with this.:(

someone in need, but not their own daughter....

Did they 'blame' her for her disabilities, consider everything her own 'fault' perhaps??? Decide that as an "adult," Ms. Fletcher could make her own decisions???

We are a Shrine Hospital family. That orthopedic condition is not Little Laughing's fault! We managed treatment until the 18th birthday, and kept track of care provided through Vocational Rehabilitation after that.

Sometimes tricky to fit in travel to the Shrine Hospital within the entirety of the family, but guess what, we managed.

jmho ymmv lrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member