Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
One area that I am focused on is the witness list. I think there are some first-hand witness vulnerabilities on the defense side....Suzanne's friend who BM told "you are Suzanne to me" along with the roving hands. Barry stayed with GD for a period of time right after the murder...What were those first-hand conversations about? What exactly did he tell MG in addition to "I could bury a body and it would never be found"? I think all of the impersonal, yet incriminating tekkie evidence, while crucial, needs to be accompanied by the human factor...i.e. those close to BM/SM who had contact with him shortly before and after the murder and have something specific to share. His ego would work against him in those interactions.
The one family from church that came out to the bike scene that night were not buying it. I recall the husband had some words to say about Barry's behavior. I'll check the AA and see exactly what it was. Often people hold on to believing the best in someone even when they have that uneasy feeling too. Maybe some closest to him already suspect he isn't being honest, but believe they should just keep quiet because if he killed her and hid her this well, then who is to say he won't do it again? If they don't have exact proof maybe some just remain neutral thinking police will sort it out? Look how many are already saying exactly what they think and many of them had and are afraid of Barry.

I don't have time to peruse "dozens and dozens" of articles.

Just one link, please.
And I don't have time to look up dozens...but here's one I referenced as a couple different family members spoke to the press to voice the families message that they hope Suzanne is found and they will wait for a trial....they did not say Barry's trial...they said "a" trial and that is the only point I was making. Here's the mountain mail article: Judge grants prosecution's motion to dismiss Barry Morphew murder case.

Laura and Andrew Richardson were interviewed and on page 55 of the AA Andrew's account of what happened when they showed up to the bike scene about 9pm. The name of who called them is redacted so one of the girls called them and they came out that night and stayed on the road with Barry for 4 hours. He said Barry and George searched in the days after Suzanne went missing and it was disorganized and they went off alone many times to search. He said he (Andrew) saw a defense attorney friend and got his card for Barry and Barry told Andrew he didn't think he'd pass a polygraph.

He said he kept quiet about this until Dec because he didn't know if it would be helpful or not. I think this type of thing likely is how many felt. No strong feelings either way, but sees some things as "off" not sure if what they know is helpful so they keep quiet. Barry's behavior was not "normal" and I know we all don't really know until it happens to us, but I'm fairly sure we all have had those moments when things feel "off" and maybe we get goosebumps chills, or whatever it is we just know something is off. I think this is exactly how Andrew and his wife felt in the months after Suzanne went missing. Maybe no smoking gun, but all of it, every interaction was off.

It doesn’t really matter right? It was prosecution’s job to prove he was guilty. That has not occurred so in the eyes of the law he is a free person. Why would you need an argument he is innocent at this point? No one knows yet one way or the other. I think most people that aren’t screaming he’s guilty from the mountain tops are saying give me a trial. Even members of Suzanne’s family are saying that.
The topic was not really about in “the eyes of the law”. We all know the answer to that one. The topic was : Given the evidence we know to date, what other scenario can you come up with other than BM killed the love of his life.

The topic was not really about in “the eyes of the law”. We all know the answer to that one. The topic was : Given the evidence we know to date, what other scenario can you come up with other than BM killed the love of his life.
Due to Barry’s staging of the bike scene, it logically prevents the possibility of any other scenario. IMO

There is absolutely zero evidence that Suzanne was abducted or that she disappeared herself. JL’s time has been accounted for that MD weekend. This is a nightmare only of Barry’s making. He has been entitled by the other women in his life his entire life. 100 percent my whole life I’ve done that or they’ve done that depending on how you look at it. How he’s been so enabled his whole life is anyone’s guess. It’s disgraceful and unsettling. She didn’t take a bike ride she only asked to leave a dysfunctional marriage on her own civil terms. She was denied this too. From the looks of Barry he is feeling her pain. Finally. Everyone else to him is just collateral damage. He will pay eventually but not before stealing every ounce of dignity from his loved ones. He simply doesn’t care and believes he is always right with utter complete disregard for everyone he claims to love. The truth remains the truth. It never changes although Barry’s narrative changes to meet the discrepancies. Suzanne please whisper when we are close. No one has given up on you. We see you despite the smoke and mirrors. You are not a statistic and we will never give up on you or the cause you unfortunately brought to light for many.

Exactly

Seeing other posters said there was lots of reasonable doubt, I was asking them specifically what the nature of the doubt was.

Due to Barry’s staging of the bike scene, it logically prevents the possibility of any other scenario. IMO

And also SMs digital disappearance in the early afternoon of the saturday

So I was wondering, how do you create a reasonable doubt scenario that accounts for those things?

This has always been my trouble with the Judge's holdings at the Prelim - the DNA evidence couldn't account for the other circumstantial evidence - but because it wasn't a full trial, and a no body case, I kind of give him a pass for that.

It doesn’t really matter right? It was prosecution’s job to prove he was guilty. That has not occurred so in the eyes of the law he is a free person. Why would you need an argument he is innocent at this point? No one knows yet one way or the other. I think most people that aren’t screaming he’s guilty from the mountain tops are saying give me a trial. Even members of Suzanne’s family are saying that.

I'm just a bit confused why people are saying there is little or no evidence.

The trial was dismissed for technical reasons which meant that expert evidence was not allowed to be presented.

But the evidence exists. And we know what it is.

I agree with your point above. He doesn't need an argument for innocence because he got off on a technicality (for now). And of course we need a trial. But given we don't have one for now, I am genuinely curious how other posters think this could all be explained.

The trial was dismissed for technical reasons which meant that expert evidence was not allowed to be presented.

I agree with your point above. He doesn't need an argument for innocence because he got off on a technicality (for now). And of course we need a trial. But given we don't have one for now, I am genuinely curious how other posters think this could all be explained.
I said at the beginning that no body circumstantial cases are difficult to prove, even with a competent prosecutor. I still believe this to be true and I think that what has transpired in this case has proven that to be true.

Is there evidence? Sure. But it is not enough, and deep down inside, most people know that. Even Linda Stanley, which is why she dismissed the case.

I don't disagree with that. My point is solely that there was no trial. The prosecution has not yet proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Barry Morphew killed his wife. Finding Suzanne obviously will help. What if she is deceased and her body is found in Utah or New Mexico or somewhere that might not attach to Barry? All the circumstantial evidence in the world isn't going to overcome that. That is just one possibility. My point was just that there are many people "waiting" for a trial before they scream "Barry did it" from the mountaintops...including family. Not that the family or anyone doesn't believe that Barry had means, motive and opportunity in private. We can only guess. It is still the job of the state via the prosecution to prove this...and that has not happened.
Suzanne’s body being found out of state wouldn’t lend credibility to Barry’s innocence. Gannon Stauch’s body was found in Florida, 1400 miles away from where he was murdered.

just sayin’..

Suzanne’s body being found out of state wouldn’t lend credibility to Barry’s innocence. Gannon Stauch’s body was found in Florida, 1400 miles away from where he was murdered.

just sayin’..

True. However, they found that poor kids blood in his bedroom. IIRC, there was even blood found behind an outlet cover. His home was proven (IMO) to be where the murder event happened. I believe once LE had the warrant to go into the home it didn’t taken them long to find it. One thing that crazy B did that I didn’t believe she would do, was go back and move his body presumably from the first dump site. While it was winter, I still believe it would have been a gnarly scene, especially that drive to Florida. That kid suffered major body trauma. She’s in her own category for me. Imo

True. However, they found that poor kids blood in his bedroom. IIRC, there was even blood found behind an outlet cover. His home was proven (IMO) to be where the murder event happened. I believe once LE had the warrant to go into the home it didn’t taken them long to find it. One thing that crazy B did that I didn’t believe she would do, was go back and move his body presumably from the first dump site. While it was winter, I still believe it would have been a gnarly scene, especially that drive to Florida. That kid suffered major body trauma. She’s in her own category for me. Imo

Yeah, the lack of evidence of a murder scene, let alone a body, has not helped the prosecution‘s case against BM. Remind me, they did luminol PP right? Won’t matter though, if he strangled her. Also assuming he didn’t take her for a ride somewhere else and then murder her.

Recalling Kelsey Berreth‘s condo where they missed blood evidence. Thankfully, her mom made them take another look.

I said at the beginning that no body circumstantial cases are difficult to prove, even with a competent prosecutor. I still believe this to be true and I think that what has transpired in this case has proven that to be true.

Is there evidence? Sure. But it is not enough, and deep down inside, most people know that. Even Linda Stanley, which is why she dismissed the case.
Not being able to meet proof positive presumption great at the preliminary which tilts toward the prosecution was a huge warning shot to the prosecution that the case was more weak than strong at that time. Unfortunately they were never able to get more evidence or strengthen the case prosecutorially…if that is a word. Finally if or when they find Suzanne it has to be within a specific time period that fits known and accurate data or they won’t be able to prove Barry moved her…not necessarily that he didn’t murder her but that he didn’t move her that day. Comparing this to the Stauch case is apples and oranges.

I've tried hard to come up with any scenario that points to SODDIT (or whatever) and nothing works. BM's mountain of lies regarding Saturday afternoon and Sunday before 5am in the face of the digital evidence prove him guilty. If he had said that she was gone when he arrived home on Saturday, things might be different.
The prosecution must be allowed to present the evidence and the prosecution must provide clarity to a judge and jury amidst the obfuscation of the defense.
BM is guilty with or without a body and with or without a trial. A trial won't change anything except the punishment.
MOO
EBM

Last edited:
We are all aware and understand the legal standard of presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. That obviously, to most anyway, does not mean someone actually IS innocent of a crime. Just as a ‘not guilty’ verdict handed down by a jury in a court of law doesn’t always equate to someone’s innocence. Case in point- OJ Simpson and Casey Anthony, both of whom
got away with murder, imo.

To believe BM innocent of any wrongdoing, one would have to believe an abductor(s) broke/forced/walked into the PP home Saturday afternoon after BM arrived home and while BM and SM were home alone together, abducted SM and amazingly left BM the only eyewitness to their crime, alive. That the abductor(s) also forced BM to:
*put his phone on Airplane mode at key moments during the commission of their crime
*stage SM’s fingernail gauges on his arm
*burn SM’s journal
*back his truck up in driveway later that evening, open and close truck doors during the night and early hours of Sunday morning
*stage SM’s bike
*stage SM’s helmet
*power SM’s phone down, destroy/discard/plant? phone
*go to Broomfield (for a non-job) on Sunday and dispose of trash at 5 different locations
*lie to the Ritter’s about where he was by saying he was at the wall with worker’s present when he got the emergency call
*sleep/clean/sit (take your pick, perhaps combo of all) in a Broomfield hotel room on Mother’s Day for 5-6 hours after claiming he went there to work on a big job and that he’d worked at all day
*continue to tell lie after lie to investigators
*continue to this very day to cover for the abductors that stole his wife of three decades, his angel.

Sounds like the plot of a very bad B movie.
I digress.

To believe SM was alive on Sunday, May 10, 2020 after BM left for Broomfield and went for a bike ride (she wasn’t and didn’t imo), and was abducted, all of the above still applies - that the abductors forced BM to do all those things and he is covering for the abductors????? Nonsense. Further, to believe SM, a low risk victim from a low crime area was riding a bike in an area she didn’t normally ride and didn’t take things that she normally took with her on her bike rides, and was abducted from said bike ride in said area in broad daylight without one soul hearing or seeing a da*n thing, defies all logic and credulity nor does it explain all the damning evidence against her husband. Not to mention, there’s just no way in he!! any abductor(s) abducting a woman from a bike ride in broad daylight are going to stick around staging items nor go to the victim’s house to burn their journal and touch the glovebox of their vehicle lolol. Abductor(s) MO, especially in broad daylight at risk of being seen- grab victim very quickly, in one fell swoop so to speak, and get tf outta dodge as quickly as possible. Period.

Mountain Lion got her, accident/got lost fell in river, Gone girl, hard NO to all of the above. In fact, no other scenario is plausible in this case as not only is there not a shred of evidence that points to any of those things having happened, it is virtually impossible to believe without any evidence pointing to such that something else ‘could have’ happened to Suzanne that can account for and/or explains away the evidence against BM. It simply cannot be done/the two cannot be reconciled, which is why we will continue to hear people (BM supporters, SM haters, people who for whatever reason don’t want to believe, are in denial, can’t see what’s right in front of them, can’t objectively and logically evaluate known evidence etc, etc) parroting the presumed innocent until proven guilty in court, rambling on about useless touch DNA that has been investigated and ruled out, how much the prosecution messed up, because imo there is literally no other argument they can make for something else having happened to Suzanne and explain all the lies and damning evidence against BM. He got a couple things right, knew enough not to leave physical evidence behind and hid/concealed SM very well. That does not mean everything else/totality of all the other evidence (yes circumstantial evidence is powerful) pointing directly at him, the fact he has NO ALIBI etc, etc, should be ignored nor that he should get away with his nefarious deeds. IMO, a murderer is walking free, for now. Having said that, I understand and am on board with the prosecution’s request for dismissal until they (hopefully) find SM’s remains to be able to prove in court without a doubt that SM is deceased and put the final nail in BM’s coffin.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzannei

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online