NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 Jun 2001 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did it, I wrote to the Omaha Police Dpt. via Facebook, just asking them to let Detective Schneider know that we follow the case and are open to sharing any requests from them regarding Jason's case. At the very least, they will know we care. I also shared a link to WS.

It would be useful to know specifically what Jason's brother and the old neighbor saw and at what time. Did either of them see Jason walk off in any direction? Or did they just notice him taking in the trashcans? Do either of them recall about what time he left? Was it about 10:45 or closer to 10:30 or maybe 10:20? I also have never read what time Jason's work shift was to begin and what time he was supposed to meet his co-worker at the school? 11:00? 11:15? That should be known. Better yet, about what time did he get the call requesting he fill in for his absentee co-worker? The witnesses, however, may not recall what time it was when they last Jason since nobody could have predicted it would be the last time they'd ever see him. All of that would be useful to know if Jason had time to stop anywhere. If he was to meet his co-worker at 11:00 and he left about 10:45, that leaves no time. I also recall Jason's mother saying on the podcast that the middle school cameras didn't pick up any trace of Jason. The middle school, as I understand it, is slightly closer than Benson High, and his mom seemed to know the route he took to school. I don't know the area, but maybe there was a shortcut he could have taken if he was running a little low on time.

Last edited:
It would be useful to know specifically what Jason's brother and the old neighbor saw and at what time. Did either of them see Jason walk off in any direction? Or did they just notice him taking in the trashcans? Do either of them recall about what time he left? Was it about 10:45 or closer to 10:30 or maybe 10:20? I also have never read what time Jason's work shift was to begin and what time he was supposed to meet his co-worker at the school? 11:00? 11:15? That should be known. Better yet, about what time did he get the call requesting he fill in for his absentee co-worker? The witnesses, however, may not recall what time it was when they last Jason since nobody could have predicted it would be the last time they'd ever see him. All of that would be useful to know if Jason had time to stop anywhere. If he was to meet his co-worker at 11:00 and he left about 10:45, that leaves no time. I also recall Jason's mother saying on the podcast that the middle school cameras didn't pick up any trace of Jason. The middle school, as I understand it, is slightly closer than Benson High, and his mom seemed to know the route he took to school. I don't know the area, but maybe there was a shortcut he could have taken if he was running a little low on time.
I did see a news clip from last year covering the 20-year disappearance of Jason and they had spoken with his neighbor at the time who was one of the last individuals to have seen him. I believe he noted in the news segment that he saw him taking in the trashcans and heading in the direction of Benson High. I have a couple of questions that maybe someone might be able to help clear up. I read that Jason did not have a great sense of direction, therefore his co-worker and he could meet at a mutual location where they both were familiar. However, if he did not have a good sense of direction did they only refer to giving directions or understanding directions in a vehicle? I myself do not have a good sense of direction, I definitely know I would get lost or could get lost walking as easily as driving. I just don't truly understand the purpose of a meeting point? Could the co-worker not pick him up at his home? I mean I am awful at explaining directions but if someone is coming to pick me up, I don't give them directions I just give them my address and let them figure out how to get to my location. Another thing that I need a little clarity on, is I read an article or news piece that discussed speaking with Jason's mother and she mentioned that he was about to start a new job the following week after his disappearance? Was that job in addition to Fazoli's or to replace it? Did he feel obligated to agree to come in on his non-scheduled day when talking to his boss on the phone? Maybe he did have plans arranged and decided in an instant why am I gonna cancel my plans to work a shift on my day off at a job I am not going to be at next week? Just a hunch. I noticed many articles mentioned he liked to take long walks. I truly believe if he had the sole intention to fulfill his work shift and meet his co-worker I don't think he would have gone for a long walk instead. The area of town in which Jason lived, did have higher crime rates, however very unlikely for a male over 6' tall to get abducted or lured into a vehicle and never seen again. This area of town 20-years later still has a substantial amount of criminal activity, however, it is not consistent with random abductions of young, white males.

thank you! I am wondering how many in here following Jason's disappearance are from the Omaha area as well? Or have lived in Nebraska? I know I was almost in high school when he went missing, but I just can't believe there is nothing found on him. Literally, poof. Disappeared. So disheartening.
I am from Omaha. I lived in the house right behind the Jolkowski's at the time Jason disappeared. I've been reading some of your posts. (busy week at work) I didn't know Jason went to Westside, and transferred. I knew his brother went to Westside.

The bad news is, that I am as baffled as anybody is about this case. I'm willing to answer any questions you have. Many of them have been answered in the now 3 forums that have covered this topic. :-(

My son went to Benson a couple years after this happened.

I don't know how good I am at giving directions. I tend to give them the way I can follow them best, which is using landmarks and street names instead of compass points and mileage. If someone says, go five point six miles east on Main Street, forget it. I don't know what direction is N, S, E, or W.
Also, once I drive somewhere, it's committed to memory. I can't do that as a passenger. Once I know the directions, I think I can give them to someone all right. Not sure if that's how it works for everyone, or if it's just me. It's also why it's so baffling to me that Jason couldn't give good directions, if he'd driven to and from work often. How complicated was the route between Fazoli's and home? Based on Google Maps, it doesn't appear to be, but I'm not from there, so I don't know.

I read that Jason did not have a great sense of direction, therefore his co-worker and he could meet at a mutual location where they both were familiar. However, if he did not have a good sense of direction did they only refer to giving directions or understanding directions in a vehicle? I myself do not have a good sense of direction, I definitely know I would get lost or could get lost walking as easily as driving. I just don't truly understand the purpose of a meeting point? Could the co-worker not pick him up at his home? I mean I am awful at explaining directions but if someone is coming to pick me up, I don't give them directions I just give them my address and let them figure out how to get to my location.
The girl who was picking him up was suppoedly already at the restaurant when they called Jason in, so giving her just an address might be difficult because it's not like she could access map quest or any other GPS. She didn't have a cell phone either, so if she did get lost on the way to his house, it would be a huge mess. She graduated Benson the same year as Jason so they both knew the school.

The girl who was picking him up was suppoedly already at the restaurant when they called Jason in, so giving her just an address might be difficult because it's not like she could access map quest or any other GPS. She didn't have a cell phone either, so if she did get lost on the way to his house, it would be a huge mess. She graduated Benson the same year as Jason so they both knew the school.

Like Jason, I think I would've had trouble giving directions if the route was a bit difficult to describe. So it did make sense to meet at the school. I recall you saying you reached out to the girl via FBk but she did not reply. I sure wish she would be open to coming here to give her viewpoint on this whole disappearance, but sounds like she won't be. As mentioned above, the detective handling this case is no longer dealing with it and there are no new developments. Glad I at least got a response from Omaha Police Dpt.

I got a response from the Omaha Police Dept. already. Here it is: "Hello and thank you for your contact. Dave Schneider has not been in the cold case unit for a few years now. As of this time, we do not have any further updates on Jolkowski."

I appreciate the update, and also that the OPD got back to you. Makes me wonder if anyone is actively handling the case or if they're just waiting on tips to come in.

Ahh gotcha.

How were you able to obtain the name of the girl who was supposed to pick him up?

I read an article or news piece that discussed speaking with Jason's mother and she mentioned that he was about to start a new job the following week after his disappearance? Was that job in addition to Fazoli's or to replace it?
The new job was at SITEL. His uncle worked there at the time, as well as I. I actually had an order from HR, to get him into our intranet system. He was that close to starting.

I don't remember the exact job he was going to do there. It was probably with one of our inbound call centers. He had given his 2 weeks notice at Fazolli's and he was on break from Iowa Western, so he could not do the radio gig until he enrolled again.

Omaha has also reached the 1-year anniversary of a missing child Ryan Larsen. (there is a forum on webslueths too) It is a little different in that the boy is autistic and he had a fascination with water. Searches of the nearby lake they think he might have went to have yielded nothing.

Omaha has also reached the 1-year anniversary of a missing child Ryan Larsen. (there is a forum on webslueths too) It is a little different in that the boy is autistic and he had a fascination with water. Searches of the nearby lake they think he might have went to have yielded nothing.
I'm so sorry to hear this little boy is missing. As the mum of an autistic child, him wandering off was one of my biggest fears. We got him into swim lessons as a toddler so he'd be safer around water, and, luckily, he never had a fascination for it. My heart goes out to this boy's family.

I know this thread is a little older, but I can't help but notice a similar topic that flows throughout it. I do find it odd that a co-worker coming to pick Jason up says, "Ok. You better be there." Has she picked him up before? Did she volunteer to go and get him, or did her boss ask her to go get him? I do believe the co-worker was quite a few years older than Jason, I could be wrong. I just do not understand if my co-worker was not there and I waited 30 minutes after the time they were supposed to be there, why wouldn't I drive around the area? Next to Benson High School is Monroe Middle School, why not go over there and check? If the co-worker was familiar with Benson, you would assume there would be a familiarity with the area. I don't find it the easier school to get to, especially since I did not attend there, so one would have to know the area. I have driven and been through the area from his house to Benson High many times and it does not seem like a long-distance, but the number of residential streets trees, buildings, hills, shrubs, and different routes in which he could have taken or individuals encountered could have been countless. 7 blocks do not seem like a lot of walking, but it is a lot of steep hills I mean near Benson High School is Gallagher Park, Lake James Park, Fontenelle Park, and Adams Park. Depending upon circumstances that may or may not have occurred, there are so many parks within that area, I could even venture a little farther out since he liked to go for longer walks. Benson Park, Miller Park farther South, Carter Lake, Kountze Park, Memorial Park, Dodge Park, Hummel Park, and of course Missouri River. I don't know but if I was going to get a co-worker of mine and they did not show up, which is out of character, I would be concerned. I would drive around the area a bit, before heading back to work. If this is unlike him, there should have been a sense of unease set in. Also, taking 10-days to report a 19-year-old missing is absolutely ridiculous. What 19-year-old male who has a job, a couple of jobs at that, a car, a bank account, attended IWCC, was starting a new job next week would runaway with no money, no car, and no apparent reason? 10 days is a long-time in which something could have potentially been figured out.

I know this thread is a little older, but I can't help but notice a similar topic that flows throughout it. I do find it odd that a co-worker coming to pick Jason up says, "Ok. You better be there." Has she picked him up before? Did she volunteer to go and get him, or did her boss ask her to go get him? I do believe the co-worker was quite a few years older than Jason, I could be wrong. I just do not understand if my co-worker was not there and I waited 30 minutes after the time they were supposed to be there, why wouldn't I drive around the area? Next to Benson High School is Monroe Middle School, why not go over there and check? If the co-worker was familiar with Benson, you would assume there would be a familiarity with the area. I don't find it the easier school to get to, especially since I did not attend there, so one would have to know the area. I have driven and been through the area from his house to Benson High many times and it does not seem like a long-distance, but the number of residential streets trees, buildings, hills, shrubs, and different routes in which he could have taken or individuals encountered could have been countless. 7 blocks do not seem like a lot of walking, but it is a lot of steep hills I mean near Benson High School is Gallagher Park, Lake James Park, Fontenelle Park, and Adams Park. Depending upon circumstances that may or may not have occurred, there are so many parks within that area, I could even venture a little farther out since he liked to go for longer walks. Benson Park, Miller Park farther South, Carter Lake, Kountze Park, Memorial Park, Dodge Park, Hummel Park, and of course Missouri River. I don't know but if I was going to get a co-worker of mine and they did not show up, which is out of character, I would be concerned. I would drive around the area a bit, before heading back to work. If this is unlike him, there should have been a sense of unease set in. Also, taking 10-days to report a 19-year-old missing is absolutely ridiculous. What 19-year-old male who has a job, a couple of jobs at that, a car, a bank account, attended IWCC, was starting a new job next week would runaway with no money, no car, and no apparent reason? 10 days is a long-time in which something could have potentially been figured out.
The coworker picking him up was definitely the same age. In the Benson high yearbook, they both graduated together in the class of '99. As for driving around the area looking for him, I'm not sure I would totally agree. If she had gotten lost or ran into a problem looking for him, then they would have been down 2 workers instead of just 1. Realistically, most people would probably think that a coworker was playing hooky and decided not to come- especially if that coworker was leaving that minimum wage job the following week. It's easy to now say that she should have looked or been concerned about him, because now we know he's gone and something happened. At the actual time though, I'm sure tragic disappearance was the last thing she was thinking. They did call throughout the day though asking if he was there, so they did show a little concern.

@lisamkomo88 - One thing I've learned over the years is folks don't think the same way I do when it comes to extending themselves, going the extra mile, and being foresighted. If I'd been in the coworker shoe's, I definitely would've been concerned, but, based on the circumstances, I don't know if I'd attempt to go find him. Especially if I didn't know the area. What I would have done is sat there a little longer, maybe and extra fifteen minutes.
To be fair, the coworker may have been on a tight schedule and told not to wait. Perhaps she couldn't go searching for Jason. It sounds like to me Fazoli's was extremely busy and she couldn't sit around and wait, or go looking. It would be interesting to find out what she meant when she said he'd better be there. I'd also like to know how Jason got to and from work while his car was in the shop, and when, for sure, his last regularly scheduled shift was prior to his disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle