UK- Two cases of monkeypox virus found in Wales, June 2021

Interesting peer reviewed article about the emergence of monkeypox following the cessation of smallpox vaccination, just published in February of this year.

That article (and many others I have read) is incorrect in stating there is no vaccine for monkeypox. There is. It's called Imvanex and is licensed in the US and Canada for both smallpox and monkeypox.

The map is weird, too. There are hundreds of active cases of monkeypox at any given time in Africa, but the Africa map is completely blank?

"IMVANEX (MVA-BN) is approved by the European Commission for active immunization against smallpox but has also received approval for monkeypox by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Health Canada, as the only vaccine approved for this indication in these territories. Bavarian Nordic previously delivered IMVANEX to PHE in connection with the first human cases of monkeypox in the UK in 2018 and later in 2019, when several unrelated human cases were imported from Nigeria with a subsequent infection of a healthcare worker in the UK."

That article (and many others I have read) is incorrect in stating there is no vaccine for monkeypox. There is. It's called Imvanex and is licensed in the US and Canada for both smallpox and monkeypox.

The map is weird, too. There are hundreds of active cases of monkeypox at any given time in Africa, but the Africa map is completely blank?

"IMVANEX (MVA-BN) is approved by the European Commission for active immunization against smallpox but has also received approval for monkeypox by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Health Canada, as the only vaccine approved for this indication in these territories. Bavarian Nordic previously delivered IMVANEX to PHE in connection with the first human cases of monkeypox in the UK in 2018 and later in 2019, when several unrelated human cases were imported from Nigeria with a subsequent infection of a healthcare worker in the UK."

Imvanex is mentioned in this article if you read to the end.

The UK's current monkeypox vaccination strategy relies on Imvanex, made by Denmark-based Bavarian Nordic. Data shows it prevents around 85 per cent of cases, and has been used 'off-label' in the UK since 2018.

The jab, thought to cost around £20 per dose, contains a modified vaccinia virus, which is similar to smallpox and monkeypox but does not cause disease in people.

As part of its strategy, sources claim the UK has already ordered an extra 20,000.

IMO, the map illustrates where Monkeypox has been found ‘outside’ of Africa.

Its a given that it exists and is endemic to parts of Africa, esp the Congo and Nigeria.

Imvanex is mentioned in this article if you read to the end.

The UK's current monkeypox vaccination strategy relies on Imvanex, made by Denmark-based Bavarian Nordic. Data shows it prevents around 85 per cent of cases, and has been used 'off-label' in the UK since 2018.

The jab, thought to cost around £20 per dose, contains a modified vaccinia virus, which is similar to smallpox and monkeypox but does not cause disease in people.

As part of its strategy, sources claim the UK has already ordered an extra 20,000

Dont know if the article has changed since being posted but as soon as you click on it, IMVANEX jumps right out at you in the right hand corner of the map.

There are also photos of their logo.

Smallpox vaccine was discontinued in the USA and Canada in 1972. The vaccine was given around the age of one. Anyone born after 1971, younger than age 50, did not received it. There's some suggestion that people who did receive the smallpox vaccine have lost immunity, but I doubt anyone knows.

Am I the only one thinking of wearing latex gloves to pump my gas or open doors etc when away from my ’bubble’??

With blistery lesions on palms, I’m thinking it’s well worth considering.

Pulling out the bottles of hand sanitizer I had bought for COVID

May 24, 2022
''Studies have found the smallpox vaccine is at least 85 percent effective against monkeypox, CDC revealed. At present, the US has licensed two vaccines to prevent smallpox, one of which is being authorised specifically for monkeypox''

''A smallpox vaccine can provide protection against monkeypox, but its use is currently limited to people who work in a lab with the variola (smallpox) virus. Prevention depends on decreasing human contact with infected animals and limiting person-to-person spread. You can prevent monkeypox virus by:
  • Avoiding contact with infected animals (especially sick or dead animals).
  • Avoiding contact with bedding and other materials contaminated with the virus.
  • Washing your hands with soap and water after coming into contact with an infected animal.
  • Thoroughly cooking all foods that contain animal meat or parts.
  • Avoiding contact with people who may be infected with the virus.
  • Using personal protective equipment (PPE) when caring for people infected with the virus.''
''Monkeypox normally takes about two to four weeks to run its course. If you are exposed to monkeypox, your provider will monitor you for 21 days.''

Am I the only one thinking of wearing latex gloves to pump my gas or open doors etc when away from my ’bubble’??

With blistery lesions on palms, I’m thinking it’s well worth considering.

They are saying it really requires close contact (close proximity to an infected person or something contaminated by bodily fluids), not casual contact like surfaces in public.

I bought gloves and used them a few times when going to the grocery store after Covid-19 first arrived, but now I realize that's not how Covid spread, and the right kind of hand washing or sanitizer was enough. I imagine that will be true for surfaces in public and this money pox, even if it spreads for awhile. My opinion only.

I'm very bothered that the lives of children are being threatened by promiscuous, apparentlyl unprotected, sexual behaviour.

Last edited:
I'm very bothered that the lives of children are being threatened by promiscuous, apparentlyl unprotected, sexual behaviour.

In Africa, I believe it’s usually children (16 & under) who catch Monkeypox.

This is either a one-off from super spreader who was infected, or the virus has mutated to become an STD within certain demographics.

Im only concerned about people pumping gas/ opening doors etc without realizing they are infectious. This in not something I wish to experience.

They are saying it really requires close contact (close proximity to an infected person or something contaminated by bodily fluids), not casual contact like surfaces in public.

I bought gloves and used them a few times when going to the grocery store after Covid-19 first arrived, but now I realize that's not how Covid spread, and the right kind of hand washing or sanitizer was enough. I imagine that will be true for surfaces in public and this money pox, even if it spreads for awhile. My opinion only.

yep, they say a lot of things to prevent panic and because they truly do not know yet.

I wore masks before they were mandated, gloat glared at and asked to not wear them into certain businesses.

IMO,anything that can be spread by coughs and sneezes, also has the potential for contact infection.

Better to be safe than sorry, you don’t know who went into the store/ pumped gas ahead of you.

In Africa, I believe it’s usually children (16 & under) who catch Monkeypox.

This is either a one-off from super spreader who was infected, or the virus has mutated to become an STD within certain demographics.

Im only concerned about people pumping gas/ opening doors etc without realizing they are infectious. This in not something I wish to experience.
I read a study the other day that found while the median age for monkeypox infection back in the 70's was 4 years old, that has steadily risen now to age 21 as immunity to smallpox is non-existent for people born after 1980. And cases are expected to steadily increase (as they have been for the last 20 years) as fewer and fewer people currently alive are vaccinated.

I've been vaccinated twice, so I'm not personally worried about it. I am concerned for children and pregnant women who have no immunity at all. IMO

''Monkeypox cases in Canada are suspected to have originated from a local sauna in Montreal, doctors have told Global News.

The country’s first two cases were reported by Quebec public health officials on May 19.

Dr. Robert Pilarski, a general physician in Montreal, who treated one of those patients last week, said the individual likely got the virus from a sauna he recently visited.

“He actually got it from G.I. Joe. So this is the suspected epicentre of the epidemic,” Pilarski told Global News.''

''Government officials have so far stayed clear of confirming the origin of monkeypox in Canada due to concerns of privacy and stigmatization.

“As it was the case with COVID-19, we never confirm publicly outbreaks for both privacy and identification matters,” Jean Nicolas Aubé, a spokesperson for Montreal public health, told Global News in an emailed response''.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back