TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's massacre is almost unbearable to even hear about.

Another member here, @stattlich1, brought up the notion of more resources needed in order to identify potential mass killers.

He has a solid point because most of these mass killers leave a trail throughout their youth and beyond. Most times we read about the clues, the trails, the forensic behavior afterwards.

It is so heartbreaking and frustrating to learn that people reported these individuals and there weren't enough resources available (or even in place) to do anything about this.

Would a viable answer be that countries put as much money and resources towards the value of preventing the human lives lost as much as the value of Gross National Product resources?

My heart is with the loved ones of these little children and the adults who lost their lives trying to protect them.

May the families be surrounded by comfort, strength and love during this unfathomable time.

Last edited:

Fourth-grade teacher Eva Mireles was killed along with at least 14 students in a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.

Mireles worked in the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District for 17 years, her aunt, Lydia Martinez Delgado, said in a statement.

She was a mother and wife who loved running and hiking, according to Robb Elementary School's website.

This is horrific. When I was in school we had tornado drills, that’s it. The fact that there have to be active shooter drills at schools just blows my mind. I still remember crying privately when my then-kindergartner explained them to me - “Mrs. (teacher) says she’s our momma bear and we’re her baby cubs and momma bears don’t ever let anyone hurt her cubs.”
We had active riots throughout my school years. I remember our teacher taught us how to crouch under our desk with our arms over our heads. Running to the school bus hoping I was fast enough. The school bus being rocked and bricks/rocks came through the windows of the bus. Bomb threats were frequent and we would go outside to crouch in a ditch. I had hoped my children and grandchildren would be spared the daily fear of going to school.

Fourth-grade teacher Eva Mireles was killed along with at least 14 students in a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.

Mireles worked in the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District for 17 years, her aunt, Lydia Martinez Delgado, said in a statement.

She was a mother and wife who loved running and hiking, according to Robb Elementary School's website.
RIP Mrs. Mireles.

IMO this 18 year old was mentally unstable and I 100% believe there were signs prior to what happened today.
I agree, it is likely there were signs. The FBI says that 25% of active shooters had a diagnosed mental illness prior to the offense. And how many are undiagnosed?

Ramos bought the guns on his 18th birthday. Per the FBI study, 40% of active shooters purchased a firearm legally and specifically for the purpose of the attack.

There had to be red flags.

I'm so heartbroken. I have an almost 6 year old in primary school (kindergarten) and I don't even know how to process my feelings. How do I explain to my child that things like this happen in a place that's supposed to be safe?
I’m so sorry Kristen. I sent this to my daughter to talk to my young grandkids.

In situations like a mass tragedy, it is "extremely important" for parents and caregivers to "be willing to bring this topic up," one expert said. - How to talk to kids after 14 children, teacher killed in Uvalde, Texas, school shooting

I apologize that I haven't looked through all the links in this thread - but we do know anything about the type of security that the school had? How did he enter the school?
I was wondering that as well. Was he able to simply walk in? Any security in the building?

I teach in a high school in Southern NJ, and visitors have to be buzzed in to enter the building. They are greeted by a security guard (former LE) who does have a weapon. First they are asked by intercom the reason for their visit and then buzzed in. They have to wait in the corridor until whatever business they have come for is verified. It does provide some level of comfort.

I was wondering that as well. Was he able to simply walk in? Any security in the building?

I teach in a high school in Southern NJ, and visitors have to be buzzed in to enter the building. They are greeted by a security guard (former LE) who does have a weapon. First they are asked by intercom the reason for their visit and then buzzed in. They have to wait in the corridor until whatever business they have come for is verified. It does provide some level of comfort.
I know in my town the elementary school also has a buzzer.

I don't think many elementary schools have security personnel (cops), as you're not dealing with the issues you'd encounter in a high school.

It seems this guy was able to get in easy. Too easy.

Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
Sgt. Erick Estrada of the Texas Dept of Public Safety tells
@andersoncooper
the shooter crashed his car near the school, got out with a gun and wearing body armor, was engaged by law enforcement, but made his way into the school anyway and went classroom to classroom shooting.

How did he gain access to the school building?

A first move to provide for the protection of students in public school would be to harden the points of entry. Move the offices and secretarial staff from the often direct path inside the front doors.

Install strong entry doors and bullet proof glass. Create a foyer with a second set of strong entry doors and bullet proof glass. Hire two dedicated and heavily armed guards to handle all entries therein. This would be similar to Prisons and Courthouses, and a few other hardened facilities in the United States.

Once inside the main lobby of the school, all corridors to the classrooms, the classrooms themselves, and the offices should also have strong, locked, entry doors with bullet proof glass, only accessible by an electronic entry system manned by select office staff.

All ground level windows should be of bullet proof glass. If it's good enough for the Presidential motorcade, is it not good enough for our children? What amount of money should we spend to protect them while they are in school anyway?

Strict policies and procedures need to be in place to keep all other access doors to the building locked at all times during the school day. Entry and exit for gym class, and any other reason one can fathom, should be done only through the front lobby.

Of course, the time of student arrival, and departure, then becomes the logistical nightmare.

No amount of armed LE presence can guarantee safety. Not at school, or anywhere else in the United States. However, strong LE presence when the busses roll in, and when they depart at the end of the day would be helpful.

In this incident, if the school had a hardened main door entryway, this killer would most likely never have gained entry. In fact, in most school shootings, the killer enters through the main lobby doors.

I wonder if public school officials would consider the students worth the immediate investment to put these protective measures in to place?

I have 20 years of experience in public school. I was one of several trained in intruder/lockdown drills. I was a member of our response team and we had strict procedures in place. We worked with local LE, who also did live drills in our building. I wonder if this school did the same.

Last edited:
Natasha Bertrand
@NatashaBertrand
Sgt. Erick Estrada of the Texas Dept of Public Safety tells
@andersoncooper
the shooter crashed his car near the school, got out with a gun and wearing body armor, was engaged by law enforcement, but made his way into the school anyway and went classroom to classroom shooting.

How did he gain access to the school building?
Oh that's maddening. He could have been neutralized outside if he was locked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong