TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that one theme that emerges after every such horrific crime is "the problem is mental health."

Yet I've never seen any leaders who say this, then advocate immediately for improvements to mental health care.

They say this is the solution and yet they do nothing to try to bring about that solution.
Welcome to politics.

While I understand the reaction to the police not storming the building faster, let's not displace our rage onto those who put their lives on the line for all of us every day.

Let us think about the things that happened for months & years in the life of the young man who committed this mass murder.

While SR bears primary responsibility for his heinous choices, he didn't live in a vacuum. He lived in a family, school and community environment.

Solving the problems we are facing means confronting not just the consequences but also the causes.

Do we have the courage to do that? At what point past the age of the young victims - 10 - is it too late to stop the creation of a mass murderer?

What would it take to do that? Guns can easily be obtained illegally.

The decision to pursue violence as your way of dealing with the world begins within the heart of a person, not with a weapon.

Many parents of school shooters ignore glaring warning signs. This grandmother didn’t.

My opinion only

While I understand the reaction to the police not storming the building faster, let's not displace our rage onto those who put their lives on the line for all of us every day.

Let us think about the things that happened for months & years in the life of the young man who committed this mass murder.

While SR bears primary responsibility for his heinous choices, he didn't live in a vacuum. He lived in a family, school and community environment.

Solving the problems we are facing means confronting not just the consequences but also the causes.

Do we have the courage to do that? At what point past the age of the young victims - 10 - is it too late to stop the creation of a mass murderer?

What would it take to do that? Guns can easily be obtained illegally.

The decision to pursue violence as your way of dealing with the world begins within the heart of a person, not with a weapon.

Many parents of school shooters ignore glaring warning signs. This grandmother didn’t.

My opinion only
Great post. Thank you.

Witnesses rip police in Texas school shooting: ‘The cops aren’t doing anything’​

I wondered when I heard police were going around breaking windows to help kids get out elsewhere, why weren't they getting after the shooter?

Witnesses rip police in Texas school shooting: ‘The cops aren’t doing anything’​

The problem isn't that the police "were slow" - the problem is that there was no security to speak of on the campus.

There's no reason that the same security which courthouses have couldn't be implemented in schools (such as guards equipped to handle a potential shooter, metal detectors, etc), and without even having to bother with federal 2nd amendment concerns.

The problem isn't that the police "were slow" - the problem is that there was no security to speak of on the campus.

There's no reason that the same security which courthouses have couldn't be implemented in schools (such as guards equipped to handle a potential shooter, metal detectors, etc), and without even having to bother with federal 2nd amendment concerns.

I think there was a guard at the school, wasn't there?

"As the shooter entered the school, two local officers and a school guard opened fire but failed to stop him."

Schools are not courthouses! They have security because they have actual criminals there. They are children, why is the first response to change schools into a prison like place? It’s almost like we are blaming the victims. So we then need this type of security in supermarkets, movie theatres, night clubs??

The boy and four others hid under a table that had a tablecloth over it, which may have shielded them from the shooter's view and saved their lives. The boy shared heartbreaking details about what happened in that room.
“When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.'

The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

He said that once the shooting stopped, he came out from under the table.
“I just opened the curtain. And I just put my hand out,” he said. "I got out with my friend. I knew it was police. I saw the armor and the shield.”

If this report is valid (seems like AP News would be), the time taken for LE to enter the school was unacceptably slow. Could children/teachers have been saved if recognized protocols (LE rushing in despite unknowns) been followed?

I think it is very likely some of the victims families will possibly file lawsuits in the weeks and months ahead because he was able to get into the school building when it should not have been possible for him to do so. There may be additional lawsuits because of the response and how long he was in the building committing murder before he was shot dead.

I saw someone who has a law enforcement background speaking on CNN and he was struggling to understand how it was possible for him to enter the school building without him being shot and how long he was reportedly barricaded inside the classroom committing murder before being shot dead. He said the response went against the Active Shooter Response Protocol which was developed by the FBI and law enforcement agencies as a result of mass shootings that have occurred in the U.S. He talked about how every second counts in tragedies like this one and how most attacks normally only last a few minutes but can result in multiple fatalities. The protocol outlines the most effective way to respond to active shooter situations and it is what law enforcement across the U.S follow with training and practice drills.

This document from the IACP LAW ENFORCEMENT POLICY CENTER about Active Shooter Response Protocol may be what the guest on CNN was referring to https://www.theiacp.org/sites/default/files/2018-08/ActiveShooterPaper2018.pdf

I don’t mean to be critical of the fact this despicable mass murderer was able to enter the school building or how law enforcement responded when they became aware there was an active shooter situation at the school. I fully appreciate in horrific tragedies like this it is easy to say what should have been done and be critical of the response without appreciating the difficulties, challenges, significant stress and chaos there can be as law enforcement on the scene in a life or death situation like this.

Now is the time to mourn the extremely tragic and heartbreaking loss of the two teachers and all the children who have died. It is desperately sad to see their photos with them smiling and full of life knowing they are no longer alive and how they were murdered. It is absolutely horrendous to see the severe emotional pain the parents of some of the children who lost their lives are in in interviews shown on CNN. I’m so, so sorry for their loss and how much they are suffering. I expect there will be an investigation and analysis of this devastating tragedy in the coming weeks and months to see what could be improved when responding to future active shooter situations in the U.S.

"How do you shoot my baby???"

"Frustrated parents considered storming school themselves.

Frantic parents of the children murdered in their Texas school screamed at law enforcement officers to enter the school and discussed storming the building to rescue their kids, as it emerged that the gunman was only stopped when authorities obtained a key to open the classroom door."

Last edited:
"How do you shoot my baby???"

"Frustrated parents considered storming school themselves.

Frantic parents of the children murdered in their Texas school screamed at law enforcement officers to enter the school and discussed storming the building to rescue their kids, as it emerged that the gunman was only stopped when authorities obtained a key to open the classroom door."

From the link you furnished:
All of the dead came from a single classroom where Ramos barricaded himself before being shot dead by a Border Force agent around 1pm.

How did a girl emerge from that classroom where all the children were shot… alive? She was sitting right next to Amerie as she tried to dial 911 and was covered head to toe in Ameries’s blood when she was shot but the girl escaped unharmed. That amazes me and seems to defy explanation. I hope we hear more.

I'm lost for words I feelnso much sadness for these poor children and their families how do you go on with life after this how do the children that survived go back to school they must be so traumatised I'm from Australia and just watched the story on the news they just showed pictures of these beautiful children and I just cried it is all so senseless I pray for everyone affected by this I'm so sorry this has happened I can't imagine sending my children to school and not coming home sharing their day with me it's just so horrifying sorry about the rant but I'm just so sad for everyone involved

How did a girl emerge from that classroom where all the children were shot… alive? She was sitting right next to Amerie as she tried to dial 911 and was covered head to toe in Ameries’s blood when she was shot but the girl escaped unharmed. That amazes me and seems to defy explanation. I hope we hear more.
I guess, if she was covered in blood and stayed motionless, the perp thought she was dead.

As a teacher myself from Europe, I can say that nobody, except students and staff can enter my school.
All doors are locked, nobody can sneak into the building.

RIP to all victims :(

I pray for strength for the poor families to carry on.

"Why only in America?"

"Parents debated storming the building"

Last edited:
I hope we can put to bed the "if only good guys that had a gun were *_______ they would be able to neutralize the threat"

*at the high school
*at the middle school
*at the elementary school
*at the movie
*at the grocery store

there were "good guys with guns", trained police on site and they couldn't do anything to help.
What if the teachers had guns? There were two teachers in the classroom.

How did the shooter get to the gun store?
Grandfather stated he didn’t know how to drive or have a license. So who drove him there?

Uber?

I think you're misreading. That quote doesn't say that EVERYONE in the classroom was killed. It said that all the deaths came from the same classrom, which doesn't mean that everyone was killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa