TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with OP's husband that the chief should have turned this over to the other agencies. I've since learned that the Chief Arredondo's Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Department (UCISD) is 6 officers for a district of about 8 schools, versus the City Police Dept with about 40 officers on the payroll and a part-time SWAT team. Arredondo actually named three of his officers in his recent FB post quoted below -- including fallen teacher Eva Mireles's husband, Ruis.

In March, according to a post he made on Facebook, Arredondo’s department led active shooter training.

Has anyone seen whether HE decided he should be in charge or if the responding agencies just didn't take charge? I've read a couple of news items that implied that he thought it was his case or whatever, but they don't come out and say it. If this ends up being about his ego, GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Has anyone seen whether HE decided he should be in charge or if the responding agencies just didn't take charge? I've read a couple of news items that implied that he thought it was his case or whatever, but they don't come out and say it. If this ends up being about his ego, GRRRRRRRRRRR.
I too have thought this all could have been a big pi**ing match! But it infuriates me even more! :mad:

Actually, I've since found that it's state law since 2019 when the Texas Legislature adopted a measure that required such training (active shooter) for all school police officers.

And while policing experts say it makes sense that the school police chief is in charge, given that it's their campus, and the school officers know the safety protocols, the incident commander's (or school police chief) orders can be ignored or overruled which is what a Border Patrol tactical agent allegedly did when he arrived at the scene. (I previously posted these measures in thread #1).

Reading this front page, I'm so taken back after learning what the US Marine Corps requires of its soldiers to obtain a weapon (which they aren't allowed to keep)! It was in a tweet that I'm sure has gone viral. (I'm from the UK but think the US Marines are the best forces in the world). I'm saddened that very troubled SR was allowed to possess these powerful weapons and ammunition.

Last edited by a moderator:
"My daughter could have survived"

I think the autopsies will be very revealing, and I'm afraid we are going to be hearing more of this.

In the quoted link, it's a daughter, and in one obituary I was able to get through, it stated the young boy died at the hospital. Also, we know of the 18 that were reported wounded, all but two, both in serious condition, were treated and released. o_O :(

Excerpt:

"Even strangers have traveled from hours away to help those suffering in Uvalde."

"Patrick Johnson, 58, drove for seven hours from his hometown of Harleton, Texas, to Uvalde and set up a table filled with toys for children who haven't smiled in days."

I disagree that the propped open door was the FIRST failing of the school. The fence was. It should have considerably delayed his attempts to get himself and the ammo into the school ground, and he should have been shot by LE (or anyone) as he attempted to enter.
Unless the fence has electrified barb wire I doubt if it would keep out someone who was determined to get in.

JMO

What I find extraordinary is that 2 persons directly responsible for school and security:

- the Principal/Head teacher
- Chief of School Police

haven't spoken to the public and Press yet.

I mean formal speeches.

Expressing condolences.
I would expect the Superintendent to release a statement. Could be the Principal has been advised not to? At this point, I’m sure lots of attorneys are involved.

"My daughter could have survived"

This reminds me of Columbine teacher David Sanders, who bled to death over four hours. The kids even hung a sign out the window: "1 bleeding to death." That was over 20 years ago.

I'm surprised that everyone is bringing up the fence. Do all schools have fences in this area? All the schools in the midwest where I live, as well as the one where I grew up, they do NOT have fences unless it's around a playground. Definitely not in the front yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie