TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't an SRO be posted visibly in front of the school or by the front desk?
A SRO is not assigned to the campus.
This is not unusual for elementary schools in small/rural districts.
The police department consists of six officers (including the chief) and the district has eight schools.

From what I read, there were officers (Uvalde PD on the scene (at the funeral home) within one minute of the 911 call and a school district police officer who was working that day wasn't on campus around this time arrived on the scene after hearing the 911 call, but drove past the suspect.

This is based on Texas Public Safety Director Steve McCraw press conference on Friday, May 27th.
Since the information is from May 27th, it is already old.

McCraw did say information does change because some of the timeline was based on eyewitness accounts etc.

MOO MOO MOO Like other parts of the timeline, I feel information about the school officer arriving on the scene is lacking details. It leaves much to my imagination. MOO MOO MOO

Last edited:
He could have thought he was being chased by LE. But it doesn't explain the school shooting.
Besides, he somehow had time to send the message to the German girl - "I shot my Grannie".

He wrote he was going to school to shoot.

He must have written it in the school car park.

Shouldn't an SRO be posted visibly in front of the school or by the front desk?

The SRO rotated among several schools. Plenty of schools can’t even afford mold-free, rodent-free, air-conditioned classrooms. Teachers pay for basic supplies from their own funds. An officer permanently posted at the entrance of every single school is not within the budget. As for private schools, my kids’ preschool has a 1k/year per family security surcharge to have that…on top of tuition.

Is there any possibility that the killer was being pursued by LE following the Grandmother's 911 call? That may explain the truck in the ditch. I guess we just need to wait for the official report... IMO
The distance from his grandparents home on Diaz St. to the school is about 2 minutes by vehicle, so that is doubtful.

Probably the best chance of stopping him before he entered the school was if one of the people outside the funeral home that he shot at & missed had been carrying.

MOO

Was this only a State ID, not a drivers license photo?

I read this on KHOU MSM: He purchased the guns legally and used his Texas Driver's License. The image appears to have the blue background of a TDL. He also appears to be a few years younger than on his SM photos.

Also this photo appeared on May 24th, which indicates to me it is a DPS photo.

MOO MOO MOO I assume he had a driver's license, even though I heard "He couldn't drive".
I suppose if he did not have a TDL, he could have obtained a state issued photo ID in order to purchase a firearm. But, he would have needed his birth certificate and other documents. He really does not seem like the type who would go out of his way to obtain a state issued DPS photo ID....Usually those photo IDs are obtained in order to vote and board domestic flights. Since he had just turned 18 and was already planning this shooting and his own death, I don't think he had any intention of voting or getting on a plane. Maybe he went out of his way to obtain a state issued photo ID, just to purchase the firearms, but I personally feel, his family would have noticed. He could have needed his birth certificate and proof of citizenship etc. Even with all that info, he looks several years younger in the photo ID, so I assume it is a driver's license. MOO MOO MOO (Sorry to ramble...just providing details to my thought process) How to Apply for a Texas Identification Card | Department of Public Safety

Last edited:
I wonder if the door was left unlocked because of the ceremony that day. She said the door could be locked only by turning the key from inside, so was it common for the key to be left in the lock?

Did the killer know the door might be unlocked or did he just take a chance on it being open?
If a key was needed in that door at all, which I doubt because it had a security bar on the inside, only extreme gross negligence would mean leaving a key in the lock at any time. How many people would have a dup?

This building was not secure. It may have been designed to be when it was built but that design stood in the way of everyday use IMO. It is close to the student drop off/pickup area and was probably designed only as an exit, not an entrance.

The entrance/exit designed for that purpose is a longer walk from their cars from what I read so for convenience, instead of making the longer walk, staff would prop this door open for quick trips outside.

The building is about 20 years old, so built after Columbine probably. Hardening doesn't work if design leads to misuse of a door meant to be a barrier. I still wonder if that door even has an outside handle.

All the different accounts lead me to believe staff were unconcerned about security, which is a normal response since most of us are complacent unless we work where security is an ongoing focus.

I worked as a temp in a mailroom at a university. A few times I went out the delivery door and had to walk all the way around the very large building which house dorms to get back in because I was locked out. That double door had bars on the inside & no handles on the outside. Frustrating! When I propped one side open for practical job-related reasons (it was large & heavy with no proper tool to do that), in hindsight it was a security risk that no one ever talked to me about.

JMO

Last edited:
A SRO is not assigned to the campus.
This is not unusual for elementary schools in small/rural districts.
The police department consists of six officers (including the chief) and the district has eight schools.

From what I read, there were officers (Uvalde PD on the scene (at the funeral home) within one minute of the 911 call and a school district police officer who was working that day wasn't on campus around this time arrived on the scene after hearing the 911 call, but drove past the suspect.

This is based on Texas Public Safety Director Steve McCraw press conference on Friday, May 27th.
Since the information is from May 27th, it is already old.

McCraw did say information does change because some of the timeline was based on eyewitness accounts etc.

MOO MOO MOO Like other parts of the timeline, I feel information about the school officer arriving on the scene is lacking details. It leaves much to my imagination. MOO MOO MOO

"A SRO is not assigned to the campus.
This is not unusual for elementary schools in small/rural districts."

After Sandy Hook and Robb Elementary, I think they need to reconsider.

"A SRO is not assigned to the campus.
This is not unusual for elementary schools in small/rural districts."

After Sandy Hook and Robb Elementary, I think they need to reconsider.
But having their own school district police force is?

I'm in a town almost the exact same size as Uvalde - we have 9 schools - I think they have 8. There is an SRO at every school. There is no school district police unit - all SRO's and emergency calls are handled by either the sheriff or the local town PD. SRO's are all sheriff deputies.

Bigger, urban cities have their own school district police force. Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, New York City, Atlanta - they all have their own school police. And this is understandable - those districts have 100's of schools in them.

I don't understand why this town needed a school police unit - but and since they did - why didn't they hire enough officers so that each school would have one? I mean, c'mon - they have 8 schools and 5 officers (not counting the chief). Their local PD has 40 officers.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion they are erroneously calling it a police force. Do we have a good idea of the job description for an SRO in this district?

If the SRO only called "the district police force" I feel that is not enough, first call should be to 911 or police dispatch. <modsnip>

My opinion they are erroneously calling it a police force. Do we have a good idea of the job description for an SRO in this district?

If the SRO only called "the district police force" I feel that is not enough, first call should be to 911 or police dispatch. <modsnip>
Right? An SRO may only be trained as a security guard even if armed. That is different training than LE.

JMO

If the SRO only called "the district police force" I feel that is not enough, first call should be to 911 or police dispatch. I just feel like Barney Fife was

The Chief of Police for the School District was NOT experienced enough to handle this on top of it avoiding cooperating with TDPS. Ego? Arrogance? fear of being sued?

Meet the 6 person police force for UCISD:

Uvalde CISD
@Uvalde_CISD

Happy National Police Officer Week to our District Police Officers! Each and every day we feel safer and happier because we know that you are protecting our staff and students. Thank you for all that you do!

6:35 AM · May 16, 2022·Twitter for
Right from the school district website. This is considered a separate policing unit from the local town PD or the sheriff's office.

A lot of districts - and all the ones that I have taught in - the SRO's all are sheriff deputies - there is an agreement between the sheriff's office and the school board in how to handle or split the salaries of these SRO's - how many the sheriff will provide, etc. etc.

In urban areas where there is a school district police unit - they are usually the first to respond and then depending on the severity of the incident - if needed will acquiesce to the local town PD or sheriff's deputies when they arrive.

In the case where the SRO is a sworn sheriff's deputy - well then, obviously the sheriff's office will have command of the scene.

At this stage of the "investigation" - they are working at coming up with the best "narrative" that covers all the bases, accurately ( or somewhat accurately) describes the timeline and events, and - this is the big one! - depict this as a horrific crime committed by a deranged teenager. THAT alone will pacify the public and and AND limit individual LIABILITY.

Will it work? IDK But everyone with a dog in this fight has lawyer now. And its those lawyers with their legalese doublespeak that are in control.

There will be lawsuits - LOTS of them - millions upon millions of dollars. Count on it.

I'm waiting to see what the DOJ finds and releases but this is going to take years.

JMHO

The commander at the scene of a shooting at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, was not informed of panicked 911 calls coming from students trapped inside the building as the massacre unfolded, a Texas state senator said Thursday.

Sen. Roland Gutierrez said the pleas for help from people inside Robb Elementary School on May 24 did not make their way to school district police Chief Pete Arredondo. The Democratic senator called it a “system failure” that calls were going to the city police but were not communicated to Arredondo.

“I want to know specifically who was receiving the 911 calls,” Gutierrez said during a news conference, adding that no single person or entity was fully to blame for the massacre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff