Person doing a backbend or hanging upside down in dense foliage

That's what I see as a scrap of paper. :D
Tell me you see a scrap of paper with a face in a sombrero on it!!! :) I know, i know... I suffer from severe pareidolia!

MOO JMO

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 14.24.59.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 14.24.59.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 46
I do not see a sombrero, but I came to see I think this is a newspaper? I definitely see the face, now that you called attention to it, and then lower bottom right of what I am attaching looks like bold font. A headline, perhaps?

Edited to add: Do you guys think the red could be blood?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.43.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.43.02 PM.png
    99 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.47.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 8.47.04 PM.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 44
I think this person might be Brecksville John Doe found in 1976 and presumed to have died in 1975. I think Alcala someway aquired this photo.

This person had brown long hair with bleached parts. And jeans. No facial reconstruction though.

I think this person might be Brecksville John Doe found in 1976 and presumed to have died in 1975. I think Alcala someway aquired this photo.

This person had brown long hair with bleached parts. And jeans. No facial reconstruction though.

They had brown hair? Or blonde? (The thread is a little confusing.) That does seem an interesting possibility.

I agree with your theory of Alcala possibly collecting violent images of acts he did not commit. Trading cards for sickos, inspiration, heck he would probably consider that sort of thing "art."

One question though: Is there such a thing as forensics geared towards photography? That is, might his equipment or developing techniques have had quirks that marked image as his? I do not have the personal level of experience with film to know, but do have a few old cameras and one reason I enjoy some of the much older ones--i.e. older than the 70s--is the effects/imperfections some leave. (scratches, etc.)

They had brown hair? Or blonde? (The thread is a little confusing.) That does seem an interesting possibility.

I agree with your theory of Alcala possibly collecting violent images of acts he did not commit. Trading cards for sickos, inspiration, heck he would probably consider that sort of thing "art."

One question though: Is there such a thing as forensics geared towards photography? That is, might his equipment or developing techniques have had quirks that marked image as his? I do not have the personal level of experience with film to know, but do have a few old cameras and one reason I enjoy some of the much older ones--i.e. older than the 70s--is the effects/imperfections some leave. (scratches, etc.)
The question is whether he had a negative for this picture and if so a single one or on a roll.

Brown medium to long hair with bleached parts is what I understood. I think a layered haircut.

I know Alcala was incarecrated in 1975, but just noting this missing teenager as the appearance and details are interesting. (i.e. in case someone else took the photo.) Andrew Memmelaar – The Charley Project

Edited: This in particular :He has a one-inch scar on his lower left arm and a scar from cyst removal near his right armpit.

I made this rough timeline of RD's locations and the females reported missing according to area and timeframe.
It's missing RD's trip to Denmark and visit to Wyoming.

1961-1964 North Carolina-
(1963) NC to California- Everywhere else- RA said that he had hitchhiked from Fort Bragg and traveled about three thousand miles to go AWOL.

1373DFLA - Jane Rowell Clement

3394DFOH - Linda Kay Britton

2277DFIL - Mary Ann Ruth Switalski

4021DFMO - Phyllis Marie Corbin

1964- 1968 California- 9/25/1968 rapped 8yo wf in his apartment in LA.

2880DFCA - Lynn Bernadette Luray
(She may have traveled out of the area in the company of an adult male.)

1675DFCA - Lynn Marjorie Bandringa
(Foul play is suspected.)

1734DFCA - Dixie Lee Arensen

September 1968- August 1971 NY- NH (summer camp in George Mills, New Hampshire)

754DFNY - Denise Marie Sheehy

In prison from 8/1971 until 8/1974

August/September 1974 Hired by a photography company to take photos in stores throughout Los Angeles County.

12/1974- 6/16/1977 Served sentence- released on parole

June 1977- Christine Ruth Thornton- Granger, Wyoming (missing from Biloxi, Mississippi), RA admitted to meeting and photographing her but claimed she was alive before he left her.

Summer 1977- John Berger NY/ Often takes women to Westchester County, New York

7/16/1977 - Ellen Jane Hover (WF, 23) is considered a missing person after last being seen with a photographer named John Berger in New York City, NY.

9/1977 Alcala returned to Los Angeles from New York and was hired as a typesetter at the Los Angeles Times.

73DFCA - Rachel Hanna Ziselman

915DFCA - Sylvia Helen Carlson

2883DFCA - Sarah Rachel Tokier

3/1978 Spent a brief period of time in jail when marijuana was found in his home

1787DFCA - Cheryl Schille Wyant

1112DFCA - Connie Gail Minchaca

877DFCA - Wendy Susan Byron

3712DFCA - Cristina Parodi

870DFCA - Debra Lynn Kidwell

739DFCA - Adrianne Gilliam

7/11/1979 Alcala rents a storage unit in Seattle, Washington.

7/12/1979 Returns to LA.

129DFCA - Diane Genice Dye

July 24, 1979 — Rodney James Alcala, an unemployed photographer, is arrested at his parents’ Monterey Park home.

I personally don't see any resemblance between these MPs and the person in the dense foliage... But there are few MPs that could be related to RA though.

Last edited:
I know Alcala was incarecrated in 1975, but just noting this missing teenager as the appearance and details are interesting. (i.e. in case someone else took the photo.) Andrew Memmelaar – The Charley Project

Edited: This in particular :He has a one-inch scar on his lower left arm and a scar from cyst removal near his right armpit.

Very similar appearance. It sounds as though this guy may have been suicidal, but possible he just left the group for a short break and met foul play.

Unfortunately RA was serving a sentence when these two males went missing. He was released on parole on June 16, 1977.

Yes, I am well aware. I mentioned that in my reply. I included the two young men just in case Alcala was not the photographer, which I also mentioned.

I'm not sure how probable that is, since law enforcement has labeled these images as his, butI do think it is theoretically possible for an image to have been his in the sense he possessed it vs he was there and a participant in whatever happened. Since others have raised the possibility someone else may have taken this photo, I noticed some similarities to the subject and both of those young men and noted.

My personal opinion: this person is probably yet another one of the countless people either never reported missing, or reported missing and purged when they turned 18 or shortly after. They;re probably not someone we will find in NAMUS, etc. So frustrating! Can't hurt to keep trying though.

Hope this clarifies.

Yes, I am well aware. I mentioned that in my reply. I included the two young men just in case Alcala was not the photographer, which I also mentioned.

I'm not sure how probable that is, since law enforcement has labeled these images as his, butI do think it is theoretically possible for an image to have been his in the sense he possessed it vs he was there and a participant in whatever happened. Since others have raised the possibility someone else may have taken this photo, I noticed some similarities to the subject and both of those young men and noted.

My personal opinion: this person is probably yet another one of the countless people either never reported missing, or reported missing and purged when they turned 18 or shortly after. They;re probably not someone we will find in NAMUS, etc. So frustrating! Can't hurt to keep trying though.

Hope this clarifies.
I wasn't invalidating your suggestion... That's why I used the word "unfortunately". Because I always thought the NY MP, wearing faded blue jeans, could be a good match, until i found a more detailed timeline for RA's whereabouts. "Unfortunately" i had to rule him out.

Hope this clarifies. ;)

MOO JMO

I don't think Alcala took this picture so the date doesn't matter other than prior to his 1979 arrest.

Unless I find an other plausible explanation of the brown "spot" in the eye I go for brown eyes.

I stumbled upon this thread when I was searching for info on the Brecksville John Doe.

What makes you think it was him?

I stumbled upon this thread when I was searching for info on the Brecksville John Doe.

What makes you think it was him?
That's an old post of mine. I need to think back. Probably because of the prickly ash and akebia quinata and his facial structure.

The left leg is amputated below the knee. It looks like a plank has been put in the jeans' trouser leg.

interestingly enough, on the background of Ciggie girl smoking there's a man with a left leg prothesis. And she's wearing a hearing aid. This is the Aztec Motel in Miami.

Lastly, there's this red band on the smoking photo at the top. You can see the same on the Foliage person photo. I assume light hot in the film roll. Imo these photos are close in time.

Edit: can't see the red line on the Foliage photo. Must have seen it on another version. Need to verify though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240330_123007.jpg
    IMG_20240330_123007.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240118_182549.jpg
    IMG_20240118_182549.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2024-01-08-01-54-54-845_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-08-01-54-54-845_com.android.chrome.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220608_084157.jpg
    IMG_20220608_084157.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 26
The left leg is amputated below the knee. It looks like a plank has been put in the jeans' trouser leg.

interestingly enough, on the background of Ciggie girl smoking there's a man with a left leg prothesis. And she's wearing a hearing aid. This is the Aztec Motel in Miami.

Lastly, there's this red band on the smoking photo at the top. You can see the same on the Foliage person photo. I assume light hot in the film roll. Imo these photos are close in time.

Edit: can't see the red line on the Foliage photo. Must have seen it on another version. Need to verify though.
You've clearly put some thought into this!

Unfortunately, I don't believe they would be a match based on the prothesis. I requested a copy of the Brecksville John Doe's autopsy report and both ankles and feet were recovered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back