IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins. We will never give up.

There's a great deal of information about the girls and the case at this site for anyone who isn't familiar with the murders of Lyric and Lizzy or just wants to review some old news articles or see more recent articles or interviews. Among other things, there are lots of pictures of the girls that I don't remember seeing earlier.

Lizzy and Lyric, two young girls, gone forever, and whoever took their lives is still unknown. Come July, it will be 10 years since they disappeared while out riding their bikes. It still breaks my heart.

It is hard to believe it will be the tenth anniversary of Elizabeth and Lyric’s case in a few months and there has been no arrest. I wonder if there will be any new appeal for information or any update by law enforcement to local media near the anniversary in July. It would be great if they could make a breakthrough and arrest the monster who harmed Elizabeth and Lyric.

It is hard to believe it will be the tenth anniversary of Elizabeth and Lyric’s case in a few months and there has been no arrest. I wonder if there will be any new appeal for information or any update by law enforcement to local media near the anniversary in July. It would be great if they could make a breakthrough and arrest the monster who harmed Elizabeth and Lyric.
Gosh. It's been ten long years since these two beautiful girls were brutally murdered. I hope there will be renewed interest in the case. Maybe after all these years someone's conscious will be bothering them and they will provide some new information. We can always hope anyway.

Investigators actively search for Evansdale murderer 10 years later

“According to the DCI, several people have confessed to the murders, but their stories didn't add up. This is one reason the DCI has never revealed the girls' cause of death.”

Thank you for posting this. Sometimes you will see people on forums (including here on Websleuths) asserting that because the cause of death has never been released, therefore these victims' remains must have been too decomposed for a cause of death to be determined. Now we know that idea is unfounded speculation. The information that investigators know a cause of death but aren't releasing it actually dovetails with an interview that one victim's father did with the podcast "Murder in My Family." In that interview, he talked about this case and how, as the family of a victim, there is information that police hold back even from you. The host asked him "do they have a cause of death?" and his answer was that he thought that they knew how the girls died but that they were withholding it. Now, from the article linked in the quoted post, we see:

"Everything inside of me as a husband and father would want to know that myself so that makes me want to provide that to the family while the greater evil is to let that out," said DCI agent Scott Reger.

I've read that alse confessions are a far bigger problem than the public ever guesses. Some people are seeking notoriety and some are just nuts. Some are trying to protect a third party and some have been persuaded by overaggressive police questioning. There are probably other reasons. They all take time to investigate and rule out--time and resources that could have gone to investigating that or another crime.

I've read that alse confessions are a far bigger problem than the public ever guesses. Some people are seeking notoriety and some are just nuts. Some are trying to protect a third party and some have been persuaded by overaggressive police questioning. There are probably other reasons. They all take time to investigate and rule out--time and resources that could have gone to investigating that or another crime.

I wonder what the statistics are regarding people who confess, but do it in such a manner that the confession is perceived as false and LE moved on, effectively ruling them out? In other words, I wonder how many "false confessions" aren't false at all...

I wonder what the statistics are regarding people who confess, but do it in such a manner that the confession is perceived as false and LE moved on, effectively ruling them out? In other words, I wonder how many "false confessions" aren't false at all...

Also per the article in post #973, “ The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said they could not rule anyone out as of June 2022.” Does that include those “false confessions”?

I’m in town for a wedding, and often take my son to Meyers Lake to play. We saw the news crews there and I believe several family members. I had forgotten today was the anniversary. It’s hard to believe that it’s been 10 years with so few answers.

July 13 2022
1657798030855.png

''EVANSDALE MURDER INVESTIGATION CONTINUES 10 YEARS LATER​

July 13, 2022
DES MOINES, Iowa –
It was 10 years ago today that cousins 10-year-old Lyric Cook-Morrissey and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins went out for a bike ride in Evansdale, Iowa, and never returned home to their families. Five months later on December 5, 2012, hunters in the Seven Bridges Wildlife Area of rural Bremer County came across two bodies, which were eventually identified as Elizabeth and Lyric — found approximately 25 miles from the Black Hawk County location where they originally went missing.
<modsnip>

Photos of Lyric and Elizabeth

Photos: Lyric-Cook Morrissey (left) Elizabeth Collins (right)

Last edited by a moderator:
False confessions that coerced by LE is a bigger issue, its rare but it can set a investigation on a really bad path.

Dealing with those who willfully falsely confess to something is more of a nuisance than a huge setback, most investigators, can rule people out quickly (hence holding exculpatory evidence from the public) but it does take manpower away from the investigation because now they have to be cleared.

IMO the worst however is heartbreak the families of the victims feel when they suddenly have some answers, only to have that dashed when the individual is cleared.

The reasons they confess, run the gamut ,I know of one case, where someone confessed to a an abduction rape/murder of a little girl, when he was cleared, he later showed up at the march the family had for the girl....The polarizing aspect of cases, like this draw all types .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member