Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN REMINDER:
It is STILL very important to CLEARLY MARK that it is your OPINION when commenting on things that cannot be linked in MSM or by LE statement. Posts that include opinions stated as facts because they do not include the qualifiers that it is OPINION are subject to removal. It MUST be stated in the body of your post, not your signature, that it is MOO/IMHO/etc. to keep it clear that what you are stating is not established as FACT at this time. Please be diligent about this to preserve Websleuths’ fact-based TOS and gold-standard reputation.

THANK YOU for your efforts!

It's a significant issue for the defence IMO, both because Baz was awake and active at that time, and it means she didn't view her messages in the period from when he arrived home, until it was switched off.

Not at all consistent with abduction - why didn't it turn back on in the morning?
I think the inference here is that BM turned SM's phone off? If so, I a wondering why he didn't look at her messages? Unless, of course, BM really didn't think that SM would be in the midst of an affair (or did know and didn't care), so the reason 'he killed her' was what? Money?

I think the inference here is that BM turned SM's phone off? If so, I a wondering why he didn't look at her messages? Unless, of course, BM really didn't think that SM would be in the midst of an affair (or did know and didn't care), so the reason 'he killed her' was what? Money?

I believe from the prelim, that she communicated with JL via linkedin messages, and BM appears not to have discovered that. They used WA for the video calls - and I think she just deleted the calls from her end. Because her phone is not recovered we don't know that - just a guess.

So I believe he did look through her phone - she was just clever at concealment because she knew BM already checked it (see AA)

Here’s some photos posted 2 weeks ago on the Chaffee County SAR Facebook page.

• The first group of photos were taken at a high elevation in Chaffee Co. and show plenty of snow on the ground on May 30th.

• The second group of photos from a Chaffee Co. conservation camp for 6th graders on May 29th. Not as much snow as in the higher elevations but still some snow.

Last edited:
I believe from the prelim, that she communicated with JL via linkedin messages, and BM appears not to have discovered that. They used WA for the video calls - and I think she just deleted the calls from her end. Because her phone is not recovered we don't know that - just a guess.

So I believe he did look through her phone - she was just clever at concealment because she knew BM already checked it (see AA)
I am not so sure about SM's carefulness toward the end....especially, as revealed when she texted him that "I could care less what you're up to ....and have been for years".....I think her not caring may well have resulted in diminished care of covering her tracks. She was "done".... I really think that affected her meticulous covering of communications.

But. What if JL sent a message other than through Linkedin? If BM 'killed' SM, presumably, he would have unfettered access to her phone; apps, emails etc. If you message via Linkedin, a notification would show up on the app or in email (or possibly both).

I am not so sure about SM's carefulness toward the end....especially, as revealed when she texted him that "I could care less what you're up to ....and have been for years".....I think her not caring may well have resulted in diminished care of covering her tracks. She was "done".... I really think that affected her meticulous covering of communications.
Yes, I agree with you. If she was past caring, then she would likely be less careful.

IMO, IF BM is responsible for SM's disappeance/death, I think it likely he caught her unawares, doing something that was not for his benefit.
IMO, IF BM is responsible for SM's disappeance/death, it was quick and unplanned.
I do not believe the tranquilliser theory, yet.

I’m curious why you say “ tip “.

These are sincere questions— not being snarky at all. Just trying to understand if your opinion is that the DA asked to dismiss the case 9 days before trial because of a tip that’s leading LE to one particular area?

Are you saying that a “ tipster “ came forward and decided to talk?

Or do you think it’s an old tip that LE overlooked and failed to follow up on ?

Again, I am not trying to be argumentative.

I honestly don’t know what to think. I stepped away from the threads after April 19 when it was dismissed. So there is a good chance I’ve missed something.

I was already disappointed and disheartened that the Prosecution was being disallowed to present the core of their case. By all appearances, they made a lot of missteps that earned them some sanctions. Or ,maybe they were just out-lawyered. I don’t know.

I’ve been here since Day 1 so I’m not giving up on SM being found and Justice served.

I’m wondering if other posters here think that the DA and LE are following a “ tip” - OR is it some other kind of investigative lead that’s making them focus on a particular area?

I would imagine there are MANY reasons besides weather that could prevent a thorough search of that area. JMO

Call me naïve, but when I read the Motion to Dismiss I guess I just take it at face value that the DA is being earnest when she states that LE has been looking at this area for some time.

Sorry to ramble- hope it makes sense.
Prayers for SM to be found soon, prayers for her siblings & friends.

Barry Morphew murder charge dismissed

Included in the prosecution’s motion, as proof of “good faith,” is the written belief that “the People and law enforcement… are close to discovering the victim’s body. The People were hopeful that the search for, and the discovery of, the victim’s body would be concluded well before trial, but weather has complicated the efforts.”

Through the motion filed Tuesday, the state wrote, “Throughout the pendency of this case, the People and law enforcement have been unrelenting in our search for Ms. Morphew. For some time, a single location has been the target of ongoing investigation. For the reasons expressed below, the People have a good faith reason to believe further investigation into this matter is essential to answering the most consequential question presented by this case. As this search cannot be accomplished in the coming weeks due to weather and snowpack conditions, the People respectfully ask this Court to dismiss the current indictment against the Defendant without prejudice.”

More than 70 investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and dozens of local law enforcement agency partners have provided their expertise on this case, executed more than 135 search warrants across Colorado, and have interviewed more than 400 individuals in multiple states. The team has also investigated more than 1,400 tips generated from within and outside of law enforcement.

MOO
I'm just guessing a tip....it's been over 2 years so I'm thinking they had to get some new information that lined up with past investigation in order to identify a particular location....and a location that hasn't been covered in all the prior searches. I'm thinking that it must be a very high elevation or they would not have mentioned snowpack this year as an obstacle to investigation. It gives me pause only because I wonder how the conditions of this alleged location or area differ this year from when Suzanne disappeared a couple years ago. It has to be somewhere that was accessible the year that Suzanne disappeared but not accessible this year in April at the time the claim was made by the DA.

But. What if JL sent a message other than through Linkedin? If BM 'killed' SM, presumably, he would have unfettered access to her phone; apps, emails etc. If you message via Linkedin, a notification would show up on the app or in email (or possibly both).
Not sure about the unfettered access. If Suzanne’s phone had a lockscreen, Barry may have needed the passcode. if Suzanne went to the trouble of never communicating via text or email with JL, she may have changed her passcode frequently on her devices. Her communication, and lack of it, is key. She went dark when she had absolutely no intention to. If we are to believe an alternative theory, she told JL she was switching platforms and then walked off into her new life, with nothing more than some money, a brown towel, a cell phone and a charger that she never used again. Scratch that-first she spent a blissful day and night with Barry.

It's possible.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is she likely used the web client for linkedin, so there was no app/notification on her phone. So basically BM would have to go to linkedin, and have her pass to get access. This is IMO why he couldn't discover JL and was messing around with FB. It was clever because he probably didn't realise she had an active LI account.

Then on the WA end, all she needs to do is delete the call record each time.

Possibly they had each other stored as innocuous contacts.

T
IMO, IF BM is responsible for SM's disappeance/death, it was quick and unplanned.
I do not believe the tranquilliser theory, yet.
RSBM I feel quite the opposite.

I’m thinking her death was mulled over countless times/fantasied about since his first discovery the year before, when he suddenly was interested in her cell phone.
I think her out of town trips were Barry giving her rope. The marriage was going to end on his terms. He didn’t accidently show up in Florida, he knew about JL.

As her brother said Barry was cunning…Barry was also a lifelong hunter, through and through. If nothing else he had patience and planning. A constant repeated theme… "Deer hunting teaches a lot of valuable life lessons. In particular, the attitudes of patience and the priority of preparation are two traits"

Barry's true loves were hunting and money. With Suzanne becoming her own person and a settlement just ahead, netting them hundreds of thousands, she wasn't going anywhere. I would love to know who's idea the girls camping was.

All IMO...

T

RSBM I feel quite the opposite.

I’m thinking her death was mulled over countless times/fantasied about since his first discovery the year before, when he suddenly was interested in her cell phone.
I think her out of town trips were Barry giving her rope. The marriage was going to end on his terms. He didn’t accidently show up in Florida, he knew about JL.

As her brother said Barry was cunning…Barry was also a lifelong hunter, through and through. If nothing else he had patience and planning. A constant repeated theme… "Deer hunting teaches a lot of valuable life lessons. In particular, the attitudes of patience and the priority of preparation are two traits"

Barry's true loves were hunting and money. With Suzanne becoming her own person and a settlement just ahead, netting them hundreds of thousands, she wasn't going anywhere. I would love to know who's idea the girls camping was.

All IMO...
I don't think he knew it was JL but I do think he suspected something was not on the up and up. Suzanne was careful but left clues. Arguing more or fighting more would also be a clue. I do think people know when marital dynamics change and they had quite a long marriage. JL should have been able to back up what he and Suzanne were doing the day she disappeared...even if thought he destroyed all the evidence on his end they had talked plenty over the time they were having the affair that I have to think he would have been able to articulate to LE if something felt amiss.

I don't think he knew it was JL but I do think he suspected something was not on the up and up. Suzanne was careful but left clues. Arguing more or fighting more would also be a clue. I do think people know when marital dynamics change and they had quite a long marriage. JL should have been able to back up what he and Suzanne were doing the day she disappeared...even if thought he destroyed all the evidence on his end they had talked plenty over the time they were having the affair that I have to think he would have been able to articulate to LE if something felt amiss.
When BM spied on Suzanne and her friend SO....that was an indication that he didn't trust her and was on a fact-finding mission. He either knew or suspected to the point of accepting that something was going on. Besides, even with his grizzly-sized ego...he wouldn't give Suzanne the benefit of the doubt anyway.

When BM spied on Suzanne and her friend SO....that was an indication that he didn't trust her and was on a fact-finding mission. He either knew or suspected to the point of accepting that something was going on. Besides, even with his grizzly-sized ego...he wouldn't give Suzanne the benefit of the doubt anyway.
I agree. I thought it was interesting that LE didn't turn up an affair on Barry's part in the past couple years. My gut opinion says he did in Indiana and that Suzanne lost trust in him then. But I have to think that LE would have uncovered something in the last two years. Hard for people to keep "local" relationships hidden and people were calling in tips left and right at the beginning.

I don't even care about the "would she?" What's far more important to me is "could she?"

The answer is an unequivocally no. As I've said before, it would be like "Gone Girl," except many times more complicated.

It would be the kind of movie you walk out of in the first 5 minutes. It's equal parts impossible and insane.

This is all my opinion. The thing is, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that BM murdered her. I don't think they can do that, unless they start over and produce more conclusive evidence than before, and drop some of the more improbable theories-like BM using a tranquiller gun on SM.

Just because there is not a proven reason for her disappearance doesn't automatically mean her husband murdered her. Again, there is that reasonable doubt thing.

In fact, there is reasonable doubt all over this case. First and foremost reason for reasonable doubt now is that the prosecution dismissed the charges against him.

They way this case is playing out in public opinion, it reminds me in a way of the Curtis Reeves shooting of Chad Oulson in a Florida movie theatre. Not because the dynamics of the cases, but because probably 90% of people were loudly convinced Reeves was guilty. But they were surprised when the jury came back with "Not Guilty" In this case, it also seems like 90% of the people are loudly convinced BM is guilty, but in my opinion, a jury could only come back with "Not guilty" based on the evidence we saw in the AA and in the media.

But I think we're going to have to live with BM living not in prison, but life ruined nonetheless, by government overreach because, in my opinion, there will never be another murder case filed against him. Unless some government informant worm's his way into BM's life at taxpayer expense, and BM breaks down and confesses. Or unless they find SM's body and there is evidence there.

Percentages stated above and everything else is just my opinion.

This is all my opinion. The thing is, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that BM murdered her. I don't think they can do that, unless they start over and produce more conclusive evidence than before, and drop some of the more improbable theories-like BM using a tranquiller gun on SM.

Just because there is not a proven reason for her disappearance doesn't automatically mean her husband murdered her. Again, there is that reasonable doubt thing.

In fact, there is reasonable doubt all over this case. First and foremost reason for reasonable doubt now is that the prosecution dismissed the charges against him.

They way this case is playing out in public opinion, it reminds me in a way of the Curtis Reeves shooting of Chad Oulson in a Florida movie theatre. Not because the dynamics of the cases, but because probably 90% of people were loudly convinced Reeves was guilty. But they were surprised when the jury came back with "Not Guilty" In this case, it also seems like 90% of the people are loudly convinced BM is guilty, but in my opinion, a jury could only come back with "Not guilty" based on the evidence we saw in the AA and in the media.

But I think we're going to have to live with BM living not in prison, but life ruined nonetheless, by government overreach because, in my opinion, there will never be another murder case filed against him. Unless some government informant worm's his way into BM's life at taxpayer expense, and BM breaks down and confesses. Or unless they find SM's body and there is evidence there.

Percentages stated above and everything else is just my opinion.
I have stated my opinion all along that the original trial could have gone either way based on what the AA said minus the information in the AA that was hearsay or characterization that was never going into the trial and the weak preliminary. The prosecution closing arguments with time left on their 50 percent time allotment stunned me. I have also said since then that I thought the arrest was premature. I do not see this going to trial anytime soon without stronger evidence. I have seen images of locals putting up banners and trying to support a re-energized investigation to find Suzanne which in my opinion is the best way to keep local pressure on local law enforcement and prosecutors. Right now local media is most likely going to be focussed on Fibark so the next week will show if local media picks up the Find Suzanne cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul