OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this one Lenny said that BJM discovered Frankie first then Chris then came to his house and got him then called 911 while JM and grandson went to Dana's. I always thought BJM discovered Chris first. Also from what he says the key BJM got was to Frankie's house.

JMO
I'm,ike you Raisin, I've always thought BJM found Chris Snr first. His door was locked but she knew where a key was kept.
From there she went next door to Frankies home. Door was locked but Frankies son was inside. BJM asked him to open the door.

I'm,ike you Raisin, I've always thought BJM found Chris Snr first. His door was locked but she knew where a key was kept.
From there she went next door to Frankies home. Door was locked but Frankies son was inside. BJM asked him to open the door.

I would go with BJM's explanation written by Chris Graves.

Leonard was under alot of pressure getting questioned by reporters so I think that this is simply the way he quickly described it. They kept asking him things that he said he couldn't tell them.

Very interesting after all these years to hear him talk about it. Wow.

Wonder if anything interesting comes out in court tomorrow? We recently learned a new fact about getting into Chris Sr's.

At trial I think it will come out how (Jake) they, got into the other 3 homes.

I think it's possible Jake went into Dana's and Frankie's by himself, or at least was the one who got inside first then let the others in.

Last edited:
I'll shorten this up a bit...

Tuesday, June 21st:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1pm ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
7/5/22 through 7/8/22 & 7/11/22 through 7/15/22, beginning each day at 9am - completion of jury questionnaires by summoned prospective jurors.
8/8/22 through 8/12/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am - beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 5/6/22 reference post #5 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...e-4-members-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/

5/12/22: Warrant for removal from Montgomery County jail on 5/16/22. Motion to suppress hearing on 5/16/22. 5/16/22 Motion #89: Defendant's motion for an order requiring an exhibit list prior to trial filed by John Parker.
5/16/22 Update: Former BCI agent (Captain) Seth Hagaman, who now a captain with the West Chester Police Dept. testified on his role during the investigation. He was a homicide investigator with the Ohio Attorney General’s BCI during the Pike County Massacre in 2016.
for more info see post #19 in article here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...e-4-members-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/
and post #29 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mbers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-2
Judge Deering stated today that the jury would also see the trailers/homes, a truck that is in impound & pond.
see post #43 for State's motion on jury view here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mbers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-3
Lawyers on both sides of the Wagner IV murder case sparred during a motions hearing Monday over whether the court should create a transcript of the grand jury proceedings used to indict Wagner & three members of his family. The lawyers also went back & forth over witness discovery. The defense said the prosecution needs to whittle down its witness list from 350, knowing it's unlikely they'll all be called. Canepa said the prosecution is in the process of doing that. She complained that the prosecution has only received two recordings of defense witnesses, doubting that at this late date, it only has the two. The defense assured her that's all it currently has.
see post #47 for more info here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...mbers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-3
Pike County Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering said in court that he will hear arguments on June 21 on Wagner's motions to suppress audio recordings & his family's testimony, as well as to dismiss the death specifications filed against him.
Regarding defendant's motions #65 (denied), 77 (denied), 78 (denied), 79 (denied), 82 (denied), 83 (denied) & 84 (granted) see post #48 here:
Next motions hearing on 6/21/22 to hear arguments on Motions to suppress audio recordings (Motion #81-was denied) & family’s testimony (Jake & Angela’s) & dismiss the specifications (Motion #80).

5/16/22: Certification of Non-Disclosure pursuant to Criminal Rule 16(D) filed by State. 5/18/22: Motion #90: Motion for in camera hearing for review of prosecuting attorney's certification of non-disclosure filed by John Parker. 6/1/22: It was agreed that Defendant's Motion No. 85, entitled "Defendant's Motion to Dismiss" will be scheduled for hearing on 6/21/22. It was further agreed that the State of Ohio will file a written response to Defendant's Motion No. 87, filed on 4/29/22, entitled "Defendant's Motion To Adhere To The Ohio Statutory Scheme For Jury Service", it is so ordered. Defendant's Motion No. 88, filed on 4/29/22, entitled "Defendant's Motion To Prohibit The Exclusion of Potential Jurors From Jury Service Based on A Felony Conviction" is hereby granted. 6/2/22: Order to seal jury list (Motion is sealed by this Order. 6/3/22: Motion #91: Motion to extend discovery deadline filed by attorney John Parker.
6/7/22: Defendant's supplemental notice of reciprocal discovery. Motion #92: Motion to dismiss death specifications. Motion #94: Motion for transcripts at the State's expense. All filed by attorney John Parker. Subpoena issued to Scioto County Sheriff for service upon Darren Lebrun, Scioto County engineer. Subpoena issued to Adams County Sheriff for service upon Lee Pertuset, Adams County engineer, both filed by attorney Richard Nash. Motion #93: Defendant's motion to suppress testimony of jail house informants filed by attorney John parker. Motion #91: Motion to extend discovery deadline filed (original) by attorney John Parker. Journal entry: Granting defendant's Motion #91 filed. Defense's Motion #95: Motion to extend discovery deadline filed by John Parker.
6/10/22: Order to seal documents related to witness (all documents, motion & order to seal included). Memorandum contra defendant's motion #95 to extend discovery deadline filed. Request for court-paid expert expenses (sealed by Order dated 3/18/22). 6/17/22: Return from Adams Co. Sheriff-subpoena served to Lee Pertuset, Adams Co. engineer on 6/15/22. Warrant for removal from Montgomery Co. jail on 6/21/22 for hearing.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

“Thus, the State seeks to hold the death penalty over the head of George Wagner who did not kill anybody while it has struck a remarkable plea bargain with the actual killer of at least five of the victims who also shot a sixth victim.”

I find this very strange.

In my opinion it is made to sound like he shot Chris SR in an extremity while another did the other shots.

Regardless Jake is still being charged for Chris SR's murder as well as for Gary and Kenny.

WAVERLY, OHIO: On Thursday, April 22, 2021, Edward "Jake" Wagner, a member of the notorious Wagner family, pleaded guilty to eight counts of aggravated murder

Last edited by a moderator:

I would go with BJM's explanation written by Chris Graves.

Leonard was under alot of pressure getting questioned by reporters so I think that this is simply the way he quickly described it. They kept asking him things that he said he couldn't tell them.

Very interesting after all these years to hear him talk about it. Wow.

Wonder if anything interesting comes out in court tomorrow? We recently learned a new fact about getting into Chris Sr's.

At trial I think it will come out how (Jake) they, got into the other 3 homes.

I think it's possible Jake went into Dana's and Frankie's by himself, or at least was the one who got inside first then let the others in.
Maybe they willl get into specifics about the things they claim happened in Scioto and Adams county. I think there are 7 or 8. I thought I had posted motion 85 here before but not positive. Will look to see and if not will ry to get it posted before the hearing.

Maybe they willl get into specifics about the things they claim happened in Scioto and Adams county. I think there are 7 or 8. I thought I had posted motion 85 here before but not positive. Will look to see and if not will ry to get it posted before the hearing.
What do you mean by 7 or 8?

What do you mean by 7 or 8?
I do not remember exactly how many, but it's the things that they say happened in Scioto or Adams County that the defense is trying to get dismissed from Pike County. I have not looked at it since March so I do not remember for sure how many there are.
I do not think it will work. If you commit any part of a crime in more than one county it can be tried in any county I think. Should be able to find it and post it shortly. I cannot remember if I posted it a while back but might not have.

Motion 85 attached. Moderator approved, obtained from Courtview.

Motion 85 is one that is suppose to be heard today. On bottom of page 3 and on page 4 are the charges listed that they are saying happened in Scioto or Adams County. Might be why the two people are suppose to testify today as to county lines as Dudly had said, seems extreme to have them come in for that. Maybe we will get some details on these today.

I think that if a related crime occurs in several counties that it can be tried in any of those counties. They could have to amend the indictment and mention those counties but not sure they would even have to do that.

Attachments

• Motion 85.pdf
    593.1 KB · Views: 10
@Johnny B Bad
Why or how do you think CRjr was shot in the top of the head twice as was reported. BCI agent had said in court it appeard they were all shot in their sleep/bed. I guess he could have sat up and was shot in top of head and fell back in bed.
If I remember correctly Little Chris was between his bed and the wall. Probably heard it all and was hiding, poor boy.

Motion 85 attached. Moderator approved, obtained from Courtview.

Motion 85 is one that is suppose to be heard today. On bottom of page 3 and on page 4 are the charges listed that they are saying happened in Scioto or Adams County. Might be why the two people are suppose to testify today as to county lines as Dudly had said, seems extreme to have them come in for that. Maybe we will get some details on these today.

I think that if a related crime occurs in several counties that it can be tried in any of those counties. They could have to amend the indictment and mention those counties but not sure they would even have to do that.
To sum up this Motion:

The indictment in this Case alleges all of the offenses occurred in Pike County Ohio. A defendant must object to a trial of offenses outside the County where they occurred or he waives the issue on appeal or risks having only a plain error analysis on review.

Several of the indicted offenses are alleged to have occurred outside of Pike County....According to Discovery and witness proffers.

The elements of the offense charged and the venue of the matter are separate and distinct. Nevertheless, venue is a fact that must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt unless it is waived by the Defendant. The Defendant here is not waiving venue.

In this Case, the Pike County indictment does not designate that the crimes in the Counts listed below were actually committed in Scioto or Adams County.

COUNTS THAT THE DEFENSE WANTS DISMISSED DUE TO NOT BEING LISTED OUTSIDE OF PIKE COUNTY:

Count 6 - Aggravated murder - Dana Rhoden Scioto County.

Count 7 - Aggravated murder - Hanna May Rhoden Scioto County.

Count 8 - Aggravated murder - Chris Jr. Rhoden Scioto County.

Count 9 - Conspiracy to aggravated murder (Peterson Rd.) Adams County.

Count 13 - Aggravated burglary 3122 UHR - Scioto County.

Count 18 - Forgery (Peterson Rd.) Adams County

Count 19 - Unauthorized use of property (Peterson Rd.) Adams County.

Count 20 - Interception of wire, oral, or electronic communications (Peterson Rd.) Adams County

Count 21 - Obstructing justice - Adams County.

*** See property and warranty and mortgage attachments ***

Last edited:
Will the hearing be aired today ?

Yes click here:

Watch

Just this court photo, nothing happening yet.

WKRC LIVE Event

LIVE
NOW PLAYING
LIVE NOW
WKRC LIVE Event

I cannot believe it, I'm a total pillock! That's an idiot for you all in US. I've just watched 5 minutes of the hearing. Then Lord almighty, I just watched Len Manley walk across in front of my eyes.

Obviously I've wasted half of my evening.

If I remember correctly Little Chris was between his bed and the wall. Probably heard it all and was hiding, poor boy.
That's the way I remember it, too. It took more than one pass through the house to find CRjr. I seem to remember an early interview with Mr. Manley in which he references the delay in finding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong