Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

If the small town my grandmother lived in is similar--it was Montana, so might not be--there would only be a couple of reasons they wouldn't talk to police about a murder.

One would be that they thought the victim deserved what happened, or that the murderer for whatever reason didn't deserve to be punished for it, or both. There was an incident of this in Grandma's town when somebody fatally beat up on a guy who was rumored to have raped a number of girls.

Another would be that they're more afraid of the person who committed the crime than they are of the police, as for instance gang violence.

I can't see how either of these situations would apply to Lucin and DR, though.
I can't see them fitting either but I know so little about the local residents or how they perceive distances or property ownerships.
I wonder about neighbourhood land owners.
I wonder about what it is communities come together for.
I also see beauty there and I can see why it's attractive to artists

Without site specific information, it's a needle in a haystack.
I'm stuck now, was disheartening to read that LE have nothing with all their combined skills and those of the FBI.

The trail is cold now.

Does anyone else find it curious that Dylan’s mother would initiate a missing persons report to Box Elder County police while ENROUTE to Dylan’s residence..before she even knew Dylan was actually missing. The drive from her home to Dylan’s farm is like 2 hours…seems very premature to make such a report.
No, not at all. When you live in rural America, the idea you can't reach your son, and he may be missing, but you want to think it likely he had a farm accident, or bitten by a snake, I think it reasonable to call authorities and apprise them you are on your way and request they meet you on the farm. And even with advance notice, BECS didn't arrive at the farm until after 5 pm.

"So if somebody's laying low that was involved in this or knows something, and they think they lay low long enough we're just going to go away, that's not going to happen. We're going to keep at this until we get answers."

Some random thoughts:
I was born in and spent the first 20 years of my life in SLC. Not only would I recommend looking into any abandoned mines that might be anywhere around the area, but also would keep look out for any possible sink holes or anything like that. Major Reservoirs around the 4 corners states are at all time lows, so land masses will be changing.

The truck was parked, the boots were there, am I correct his pistol is missing with him but his shotgun was on the bed? To me that really feels of him going out at night to check on something, possibly seeing or hearing someone or something on the property. I can see him taking his pistol with him and perhaps having the shotgun where he could get to it if needed, especially if something on the property or something was unsettling him. I can also easily see him just doing a routine check of the property. He seems to be the outdoor type and I can see him spending time sitting outside the trailer at the end of the day also. The boots still don't exactly fit. And it keeps standing out to me that if something happened to him, he would know that his parents would know he only has one pair or boots. I can see that as his way of leaving them a message. And to take that one step further, possibly the boots fully intended to point to a previously shoeless bloodied person he has dealt with earlier. All theory imo, of course. Eta: I find it just extremely bizarre for not one but 2 people to be randomly roaming the desert land without shoes. First the shoeless guy and now apparently DR.

Another thing bothering me is his parents keep insisting he did NOT go out, he worked and that was his life and joy. But it confuses me as to the need for him to stay anywhere else at anyone elses trailer of he never goes anywhere. Am I missing something there?
I don’t think anyone definitively saw or verified there was someone who was bloodied and without shoes on, just that there maybe was or wasn’t a ride given to a now known individual. That story as far as I can tell, has been given by only one person and has changed.

What is especially odd is that an unknown individual randomly appearing in the middle of nowhere acting strange and appearing bloody and without shoes and being refused a ride by Dylan only days before he went missing seems like a nearly 100% slam dunk to solve this case if LE could identify this man after finding boots with blood on them and supposedly evidence of someone else driving and cleaning off Dylan’s truck. Right? An odd bloody man without shoes has a need for some boots and a truck ride. Not to mention after being refused a ride that’s certainly a potential motive to become enraged and harm a young man way out in the middle of nowhere where no one could witness.

So then why are we further away from finding Dylan after identifying this person reveals not only does he have a previous criminal history, but he confirms getting a ride, having been to Dylan’s house which both would be placing him in direct contact with Dylan and inside the truck. ALL of this seems to perfectly align with a seemingly clean cut, open and closed investigation. The guy essentially turned himself in and confessed to being possibly one of the last people to see Dylan alive and placed himself at or near an area that is now part of a criminal investigation and if anything, we are not only further away from finding Dylan…now we have more questions than answers. How is that possible?

The fact that it all aligned and nothing came of it leads me to believe one of two things…IMO…

Someone created a story to help explain the boots OR someone used the boots to help create a story. Who? Why? Where is Dylan?

The amount of hours LE has logged per the press release paired with the involvement of the FBI and the general silence of all involved agencies tells me they have a good idea of the “who” and they are closing in on figuring out the “why” and most importantly…where Dylan is.

Those boots have significance to Dylan and I hope they are significant in finding their way back on this young man or at least bringing justice to those who took them off in the first place. JMO

With the facts in play and lacking any clear motive, I consider a secret troubled relationship or some sort of deal (legal or illegal) gone wrong. I ruled out accident because mom is stressing the boot issue. This is truly a mystery, and I agree with some that it's very possible that LE knows a lot more than is being released. Hoping for the best.

No, not at all. When you live in rural America, the idea you can't reach your son, and he may be missing, but you want to think it likely he had a farm accident, or bitten by a snake, I think it reasonable to call authorities and apprise them you are on your way and request they meet you on the farm. And even with advance notice, BECS didn't arrive at the farm until after 5 pm.
It would be interesting to know exactly what she actually requested or stated on that call. There is a significant difference, IMO, between asking for a well-fare check (i.e. farm accident, rattlesnake bite, medical emergency, etc.) and filing a missing persons report. Not hearing back or being able to get a hold of someone does not make them missing…ever…until or unless you have reason to actually believe they are missing. JMO.

If she in fact did file a missing persons report en route, someone at some point prior to her arrival must have had reason or given an indication to differentiate between missing person case and a well fare check. I’d love to know what that was since everything that’s been stated that raised red flags occurred once law enforcement was present. She said nothing was ransacked or out of place in the trailer when she arrived. The boots were found by law enforcement and they didn’t gain access to the truck until law enforcement was present per her version of events (JR asked LE if he could break the window since it was locked and they conceded it was his truck to do what he wanted).

So why couldn’t he be somewhere else on the property? The last known conversation was telling the grandmother he needed to secure the grain truck to protect the seed from rain. Did someone go there to check? I thought I had read or heard in one of her interviews that the boots were found near there. By law enforcement. It would be interesting to know who did and didn’t check that location for him before those boots were found. From the description of how they were found it sounded as if they were quickly and easily found so why didn’t anyone else find them first if people had actively searched the property before notifying LE and while waiting all that time for them to arrive if it took so long for them to come out? I mean, especially last possible known location he could be…JMO

Or maybe he caught a ride into town or to someone else’s farm to help them with something? Would be interesting to know who was contacted from his known contacts and when before that report was filed.

Or maybe he was at the hospital via ambulance from an accident or medical emergency. Would be interesting to know if and when anyone called to check to see if he was there.

Or, and probably unlikely based off his lack of criminal history, he could have been arrested. Did anyone ask LE if they had him there or had received any calls about anything happening at his farm?

Or did they just immediately jump to the most unlikely, in that moment (IMO), scenario imaginable based off nothing being amiss other than him not being home or answering his phone…that someone made him go missing?

Would be very interesting to know JMO

"Those people, who are few and far between in the rural stretch west of the Great Salt Lake, have offered little to investigators, Palmer said, which he said was "surprising and strange."

"We’re not even getting tips," he said. "We’re not getting phone calls."

For me this screams someone knows...(moo)
I don't like the vibe that this town has given off from the start. They're all quiet and weird. How come DR was a regular in this town and visited May 26th but after that nothing but weirdness? First he was seen May 27th, then it was backtracked, the call made by Kurt? There have been no residents named as POI so I'm not accusing anybody but this town is WEIRD. 50 people and you don't know what happened to this fellow who was damn near the 51st resident? So weird.

I don’t think anyone definitively saw or verified there was someone who was bloodied and without shoes on, just that there maybe was or wasn’t a ride given to a now known individual. That story as far as I can tell, has been given by only one person and has changed.

What is especially odd is that an unknown individual randomly appearing in the middle of nowhere acting strange and appearing bloody and without shoes and being refused a ride by Dylan only days before he went missing seems like a nearly 100% slam dunk to solve this case if LE could identify this man after finding boots with blood on them and supposedly evidence of someone else driving and cleaning off Dylan’s truck. Right? An odd bloody man without shoes has a need for some boots and a truck ride. Not to mention after being refused a ride that’s certainly a potential motive to become enraged and harm a young man way out in the middle of nowhere where no one could witness.

So then why are we further away from finding Dylan after identifying this person reveals not only does he have a previous criminal history, but he confirms getting a ride, having been to Dylan’s house which both would be placing him in direct contact with Dylan and inside the truck. ALL of this seems to perfectly align with a seemingly clean cut, open and closed investigation. The guy essentially turned himself in and confessed to being possibly one of the last people to see Dylan alive and placed himself at or near an area that is now part of a criminal investigation and if anything, we are not only further away from finding Dylan…now we have more questions than answers. How is that possible?

The fact that it all aligned and nothing came of it leads me to believe one of two things…IMO…

Someone created a story to help explain the boots OR someone used the boots to help create a story. Who? Why? Where is Dylan?

The amount of hours LE has logged per the press release paired with the involvement of the FBI and the general silence of all involved agencies tells me they have a good idea of the “who” and they are closing in on figuring out the “why” and most importantly…where Dylan is.

Those boots have significance to Dylan and I hope they are significant in finding their way back on this young man or at least bringing justice to those who took them off in the first place. JMO
Yes, let's hope the boots have answers. It was a strange place to leave them if someone was trying to hide them. They were seemingly just tossed behind the mound, near a junk pile. It was as if a child placed them there, thinking nobody would see them. That tells me the perp is not very bright and likely made other mistakes.

Although it seems the case, we don't yet know that nothing came of the barefoot bloody guy or whether there is any connection. Since he is incarcerated, police have some leverage in terms of getting more information. Unless, of course, he has obtained an attorney.

And yes, it's possible that LE has an idea who is responsible, but are waiting for enough evidence to ensure a conviction. It's hard to say since they don't reveal much information to the public. They may have several POI's at this point. It's also possible that they have no leads right now. It's unusual that they've barely received any tips.

It will be interesting to see what information LE gets from Dylan’s phone once they have the data.

I wonder if the barefoot man had a cell phone with him. I hope so. Didn't Candice say he called his family and they said he'd been missing for 3 days? Or did he borrow Dylans phone?

ETA The grain truck and shed were searched thoroughly. Maybe since they were concentrating on those areas, they didn't think to look behind the pile before police got there?

Last edited:
This might be a strange thought, but considering the day he went missing (in the middle of a place completely covered in dirt) it was rainy and presumably very muddy, why would a third party need to power wash the outside of Dylan’s vehicle? What evidence could there have been on the outside of the vehicle, what difference would it make if there was mud on the truck for family and law enforcement to see when Dylan himself would have been driving this thru dirt- wouldn’t that be less out of the ordinary for it to just stay dirty? Also the seat being pushed forward - allegedly to accommodate a much *smaller* person and the gear being set to a gear that Dylan and fam knew wasn’t working- that part. So now that I’m thinking about it if that’s the case and the vehicle was in a non-working gear - like a person was trying to drive with it but couldn’t even do it properly if at all- if that third party couldn’t figure that out-again im wondering what would need to be washed off outside of truck….

What if Dylan is missing because of his encounter with the shoeless guy? What if that's what put Dylan in jeopardy and it had nothing to do with Dylan personally, only someone else was trying to clean up unrelated criminal activity, of which shoeless guy is the nexus but not the agent?

JMO

Why would there be a three day delay between the call about the barefoot man (May 25 according to timeline posted earlier, and assuming the call was the same day as the encounter, the encounter could have been in the days before the call?) and the date of Dylan's last contact (May 28)?
That's why the call, and the seemingly not relating the exact details of the encounter, seem like they might not be the key to the disappearance many are assuming it is. Could be related? Yes. Definite proof of relation to disappearance? No.

This might be a strange thought, but considering the day he went missing (in the middle of a place completely covered in dirt) it was rainy and presumably very muddy, why would a third party need to power wash the outside of Dylan’s vehicle? What evidence could there have been on the outside of the vehicle, what difference would it make if there was mud on the truck for family and law enforcement to see when Dylan himself would have been driving this thru dirt- wouldn’t that be less out of the ordinary for it to just stay dirty? Also the seat being pushed forward - allegedly to accommodate a much *smaller* person and the gear being set to a gear that Dylan and fam knew wasn’t working- that part. So now that I’m thinking about it if that’s the case and the vehicle was in a non-working gear - like a person was trying to drive with it but couldn’t even do it properly if at all- if that third party couldn’t figure that out-again im wondering what would need to be washed off outside of truck….
Blood or marks in the mud on the truck. Or simply telltale signs the truck had been driven during the storm. Maybe someone wanted the truck to appear it hadn't been driven that day at all.

Shower thoughts: What if Dylan wanted to get away from his place/farm? Move on to greener pastures? His area sounds rather oppressive to me. Maybe someone was too up in his business? Maybe he left willingly with somebody and made up the story about the guy with no shoes and staged the scene (truck, shoes) to make it appear to be an abduction? Maybe throwing his boots (If he did) was a kind of symbolism, like somebody throwing their wedding ring in the river/ocean/ on the ground after breaking up with a partner? I'm out of here! Maybe the town folk are not talking because they are trying to protect Dylan? MOO

Just 2 passing thoughts I had…

1) I wonder where in the truck Dylan kept the pistol? Loose in the glove box? In a case under the seat? Perhaps he moved the seat forward himself to get his gun.

2) Is there any chance Dylan had a pair of rubber boots for rain? I know the area is desert and doesn’t get much rain, so it would make sense he ‘always’ wore his brown work boots. But I have spent time on a farm and had a pair of tall black rubber galosh style boots to put on if it was extremely wet/muddy.

Just 2 passing thoughts I had…

1) I wonder where in the truck Dylan kept the pistol? Loose in the glove box? In a case under the seat? Perhaps he moved the seat forward himself to get his gun.

2) Is there any chance Dylan had a pair of rubber boots for rain? I know the area is desert and doesn’t get much rain, so it would make sense he ‘always’ wore his brown work boots. But I have spent time on a farm and had a pair of tall black rubber galosh style boots to put on if it was extremely wet/muddy.
1) I don't recall any info released on where DR typically kept his pistol inside the Ford. Good point he could have moved the seat up himself.

2) DR did have a pair of muck boots and they were located inside his trailer.

I'm guessing the evidence could have been blood in the truck bed. The inside of the truck wasn't cleaned.

I don't like the vibe that this town has given off from the start. They're all quiet and weird. How come DR was a regular in this town and visited May 26th but after that nothing but weirdness? First he was seen May 27th, then it was backtracked, the call made by Kurt? There have been no residents named as POI so I'm not accusing anybody but this town is WEIRD. 50 people and you don't know what happened to this fellow who was damn near the 51st resident? So weird.
I wish I could like this post 100 times.

It would be interesting to know exactly what she actually requested or stated on that call. There is a significant difference, IMO, between asking for a well-fare check (i.e. farm accident, rattlesnake bite, medical emergency, etc.) and filing a missing persons report. Not hearing back or being able to get a hold of someone does not make them missing…ever…until or unless you have reason to actually believe they are missing. JMO.

If she in fact did file a missing persons report en route, someone at some point prior to her arrival must have had reason or given an indication to differentiate between missing person case and a well fare check. I’d love to know what that was since everything that’s been stated that raised red flags occurred once law enforcement was present. She said nothing was ransacked or out of place in the trailer when she arrived. The boots were found by law enforcement and they didn’t gain access to the truck until law enforcement was present per her version of events (JR asked LE if he could break the window since it was locked and they conceded it was his truck to do what he wanted).

So why couldn’t he be somewhere else on the property? The last known conversation was telling the grandmother he needed to secure the grain truck to protect the seed from rain. Did someone go there to check? I thought I had read or heard in one of her interviews that the boots were found near there. By law enforcement. It would be interesting to know who did and didn’t check that location for him before those boots were found. From the description of how they were found it sounded as if they were quickly and easily found so why didn’t anyone else find them first if people had actively searched the property before notifying LE and while waiting all that time for them to arrive if it took so long for them to come out? I mean, especially last possible known location he could be…JMO

Or maybe he caught a ride into town or to someone else’s farm to help them with something? Would be interesting to know who was contacted from his known contacts and when before that report was filed.

Or maybe he was at the hospital via ambulance from an accident or medical emergency. Would be interesting to know if and when anyone called to check to see if he was there.

Or, and probably unlikely based off his lack of criminal history, he could have been arrested. Did anyone ask LE if they had him there or had received any calls about anything happening at his farm?

Or did they just immediately jump to the most unlikely, in that moment (IMO), scenario imaginable based off nothing being amiss other than him not being home or answering his phone…that someone made him go missing?

Would be very interesting to know JMO
^^bbm

Welcome to WS @Encyclopediablue!

Days before the parents were even aware of DR's absence, farm hands were previously sent to check in on DR by his grandmother after he failed to return her call on Saturday, May 28. By Monday, nobody was aware of DR's whereabouts, and if he's not on his farm, he's in fact "missing" per the laws of UT.

Why is this even an issue?

Perhaps guidance from the Utah Department of Public Safety will satisfy OP's concerns as to when a parent reports their son missing.

What is a Missing Person​

A “Missing Person” is one who, for whatever reason is not found to be in their usual abode and whose family or acquaintances are unaware of their whereabouts.

“Missing Children “are those who for whatever reason are not in their usual abode and whose parents or caretakers are unaware of the whereabouts.

[..]

Missing Adults:

Nationally, there are approximately 47,842 missing adults entered into the National Crime Information Center database. There are many more adults who may be missing, but not entered into any database. The Utah Missing Persons Clearinghouse focuses equally on missing adults as well as missing children.

Some reasons adults may be missing may include:

* Endangered due to foul play

* Diminished mental capacity

* Physical disability

* Suspicious circumstances

^^bbm

Welcome to WS @Encyclopediablue!

Days before the parents were even aware of DR's absence, farm hands were previously sent to check in on DR by his grandmother after he failed to return her call on Saturday, May 28. By Monday, nobody was aware of DR's whereabouts, and if he's not on his farm, he's in fact "missing" per the laws of UT.

Why is this even an issue?

Perhaps guidance from the Utah Department of Public Safety will satisfy OP's concerns as to when a parent reports their son missing.

What is a Missing Person​

A “Missing Person” is one who, for whatever reason is not found to be in their usual abode and whose family or acquaintances are unaware of their whereabouts.

“Missing Children “are those who for whatever reason are not in their usual abode and whose parents or caretakers are unaware of the whereabouts.

[..]

Missing Adults:

Nationally, there are approximately 47,842 missing adults entered into the National Crime Information Center database. There are many more adults who may be missing, but not entered into any database. The Utah Missing Persons Clearinghouse focuses equally on missing adults as well as missing children.

Some reasons adults may be missing may include:

* Endangered due to foul play

* Physical disability

* Suspicious circumstances
Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

<modsnip>

But again, from all known facts about what was found, or most notably not found, was A.) no Dylan and B.) nothing else strange. So the same as I stated in my previous post applies…what actions did anyone take or not take to determine if he was or was not missing due to (quoted from your post):

“…* Endangered due to foul play

* Physical disability

* Suspicious circumstances…”

The behaviors, actions and dispositions of the people that knew him and first knew he was missing is very important and relevant to finding him IMO…not semantics and legal definitions of what does or doesn’t constitute someone being missing. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we try to nail down the boot issue? Did Dylan leave them purposely or did they end up where they did accidentally? Did a perpetrator leave them there?

Dylan left them purposely
To alert his family that something was wrong?
During/after a struggle to point them toward some area?
I could see this if we were talking about a hat or something, but wouldn't any situation be pretty desperate without the boots?

Dyland left them accidentally
Did they come off in a struggle? Can we imagine a situation where the only things that came off in a struggle would be his boots? How about a shirt? Did he usually wear a hat in the hot sun?

A perpetrator left them there
First, we have a strange situation where Dylan runs across someone bloodied, and without shoes. Two days later, Dylan is missing and he is now without shoes. (And, apparently, there is another case, not far away, of another 19 year old where shoes were an issue. I don't know much about it at all, so I'll leave it there.)
Okay so, back to a perpetrator: Maybe the boots didn't fit?
Would a perp leave them there as a "signal" to someone? ("Leave his boots behind if you got him". ? Or, if a kidnapping gone awry, maybe they were left to let the family know that they did, indeed, have their son. Possible?

Can anyone add to these possibilities? I really think the boots are an important clue.

(I also think someone/people in that town either know exactly what happened to Dylan or have a very good idea.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back