Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was his dominant hand injured? Maybe injured in the attack on GP?
That's possible but he was shooting himself weeks later. His hand looked fine in the camping photos CL shared. And if he'd hurt his hand so badly he couldn't hold a gun and pull a trigger once, he couldn't have written the note. But you are correct IMO an injury is possible. I just don't think it could be as old as when GP was killed.

I found a camping review site and there's reports of cell service at the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area. T-Mobile has poor signal strength.

We work from the road and need cell signal, AT&T worked well here, Verizon was fair but we had trouble keeping a signal using our jet pack.​

I kind of wondered the opposite, I wonder if he bashed her head and she started convulsing or seizing and then he strangled her to death. It’s like he tried to account for all of her injuries with his lies.
I so agree. He walks it backward.
Like it wasn’t his fault. He’s a victim too.
It could even be all her fault.
My question is- if she was so special, the love of his life, wanted to marry her…WHY leave her out in the elements as he drove her vehicle home…he came across people, places & phones…WHY did he then hide at his parents, go camping…WHY not at very least let Gabbys family know where they could start to -look- for her.
Then the way he paints himself…He couldn’t carry her…she asked him to kill her…? And that part at the end about his body being torn apart, please pick the parts up - cause Gabby hates litter.
No note would of served him better IMO
Bottom line he was too chicken to face everyone with what he had done in a RAGE. Even with his last words he paints it like it was part her fault. Pleeez.

All MOO

My question is- if she was so special, the love of his life, wanted to marry her…WHY leave her out in the elements as he drove her vehicle home…he came across people, places & phones…WHY did he then hide at his parents, go camping…WHY not at very least let Gabbys family know where they could start to -look- for her.
Then the way he paints himself…He couldn’t carry her…she asked him to kill her…? And that part at the end about his body being torn apart, please pick the parts up - cause Gabby hates litter.
Bottom line he was too chicken to face everyone with what he had done in a RAGE. Even with his last words he paints it like it was part her fault. Pleeez.

All MOO
If I had hip boots and shovels, I would pass them around to all y'all. bullshitmeter.jpg

All MOO
BAM!!!

I've read this suicide letter a hundred times.

1. She wasn't found next to ANY remnants of a fire.

2. Why was your first instinct to insist on killing her, when you could have put her in the van and drove her for help??!!

3. Mercy? Then why didn't you pick her up and place her in the van and head home instead of leaving her the cold wilderness left to the elements??!!

4. You left her there while faking texts messages that she was still alive.

There are some truths in his letter but the rest are lies because he is/was a coward.

BAM!!!

I've read this suicide letter a hundred times.

1. She wasn't found next to ANY remnants of a fire.

2. Why was your first instinct to insist on killing her, when you could have put her in the van and drove her for help??!!

3. Mercy? Then why didn't you pick her up and place her in the van and head home instead of leaving her the cold wilderness left to the elements??!!

4. You left her there while faking texts messages that she was still alive.

There are some truths in his letter but the rest are lies because he is/was a coward.
BBM - yes, she was Gabby's body was found '5 minutes from her & Brian's van'
He described in an interview with Dr Phil seeing the remnants of a fire ring and a clearing where a tent would have been placed.

All MOO
It is just SO bizarre. I know someone who gets gout on occasion really bad. REALLY bad. Cannot stand up. Hardly anything helps. They ride out the pain because you can't get pain meds these days because all those who are addicted have ruined it for regular folks who need pain meds on occasion. I cannot imagine killing this person during a flareup just because they are in excruciating pain!!! Even if we were in some wilderness area! I wonder how much the Moab incident played into this. Had he not felt he had a "record" there of DV, maybe he would have sought help for her. If he had hit her or pushed her this would have been his first offense. Now, assuming he did not create the incident (head injury), I could see an innocent person being torn between "stay with her, wrap myself around her for warmth" vs trying to move her and get her to the van with heat. Why couldn't she walk or lean on him as he dragged her? How far was the van? Miles away? No. Even if she died (assuming he hadn't hurt her and this was an honest to god head injury minus his subsequent strangling), he would have lived knowing he tried his best to find help. People get injured all the time hiking, falling off cliffs, stupid selfie shots, etc. And maybe he wouldn't have been able to live with himself then, either, but the more I think about this and re-read his writing, it just does not seem plausible.

Typed out:

"Gabby, I wish I was right at your side, I wish I could be talking to you right now. I’d be going through every memory we made, getting even more excited for the future. But [we] lost our future. I can’t [live] without you. I’ve lost every day we [could’ve] spent together, every holiday. I’ll never get to play with [illegible] again. Never go hiking with TJ. I loved you more than anything. I can’t bear to look at our photos, to recall great times because it is why I cannot go on. When I close my eyes, I will think of laughing on the roof of the van, falling asleep to the sight of [illegible] at the crystal geyser. I will always love you.”

"If you were reading Gabs’ journal, looking at photos from our life together, flipping through old cards you wouldn’t want to live a day without her. Knowing that everyday you’ll wake up without her, you wouldn’t want to wake up. I’m sorry to everyone this will affect, Gabby was the love of my life, but I know [adored] by many. I’m so very sorry to her family because I love them. I’d [consider] her younger siblings my best of friends… I am sorry to my family, this [is] a shock to them as well a terrible grief.”

"They loved as much, if not more than me. A new daughter to my mother, an aunt to my nephews. Please do not make this harder for them, this [occurred] as an unexpected tragedy. Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see. I couldn’t find her for a moment, shouted her name. I found her breathing heavily, gasping [illegible.] She was freezing cold. [Illegible] the blazing hot national parks in Utah.”

"The temperature had dropped to freezing and she was soaking wet. I carried her as far as I could from the stream toward the car, stumbling, exhausted in shock, when my [illegible] and knew I couldn’t safely carry her. I started a fire and spooned her as close to the heat. She was so thin, had already been freezing too long. I couldn’t at the time realize that I should’ve started a fire first but I wanted her out of the cold back to the car. From where I started the fire I had no idea how far the car might be, only knew it was across the creek.”

"When I pulled Gabby out of the water, she couldn’t tell me what hurt. She had a small [bump] on her forehead that [eventually] got larger. Her feet hurt, her [wrist] hurt but she was freezing, shaking violently. While carrying her she continually made sounds of pain. Laying next to her she said little, [lapsing] between violent shakes, gasping in pain, begging for an end to her pain. She would fall asleep and I would shake her awake, fearing she shouldn’t close her eyes if she had a concussion.”

"She would wake in pain, start her whole painful cycle again [illegible] furious that I was the one waking her. She wouldn’t let me try to cross the creek, thought like me that the fire would go out in her sleep and she’d freeze. I don’t know the extend of Gabby’s injuries, only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked, I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn’t go on without her.”

“I rushed home to spend any time I had left with my family. I wanted to drive north and let James or TJ kill me but I wouldn’t want them to spend time in jail over my mistake, even though I’m sure they would have liked to. I am ending my life not because of a fear of punishment but rather because I can’t stand to live another day without her. I’ve lost our whole future together, every moment we could have [shared.] I’m sorry for everyone’s loss. Please do not make life harder for my family, they lost a son and a daughter. The most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I’m sorry.”

"I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that animals may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy.”

“Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter.”

BBM - yes, she was Gabby's body was found '5 minutes from her & Brian's van'
He described in an interview with Dr Phil seeing the remnants of a fire ring and a clearing where a tent would have been placed.
And a 5-minute WALK is nothing! According to a site on the benefits of walking:

How far can you go in 5 minutes? It depends on your walking speed.
  • 2.5 mph (4 kph) – 0.2 miles (0.32 km)
  • 3 mph (4.8 kph) – 0.25 miles (0.4 km)
  • 3.5 mph (5.6 kph) – 0.29 miles (0.47 km)
  • 4 mph (6.4 kph) – 0.33 miles (0.53 km)
And he could have RAN to the van. Cannot believe he didn't know where it was.

Did BL write an earlier letter to his parents? I'm confused. If he did I missed that altogether.

It is just SO bizarre. I know someone who gets gout on occasion really bad. REALLY bad. Cannot stand up. Hardly anything helps. They ride out the pain because you can't get pain meds these days because all those who are addicted have ruined it for regular folks who need pain meds on occasion. I cannot imagine killing this person during a flareup just because they are in excruciating pain!!! Even if we were in some wilderness area! I wonder how much the Moab incident played into this. Had he not felt he had a "record" there of DV, maybe he would have sought help for her. If he had hit her or pushed her this would have been his first offense. Now, assuming he did not create the incident (head injury), I could see an innocent person being torn between "stay with her, wrap myself around her for warmth" vs trying to move her and get her to the van with heat. Why couldn't she walk or lean on him as he dragged her? How far was the van? Miles away? No. Even if she died (assuming he hadn't hurt her and this was an honest to god head injury minus his subsequent strangling), he would have lived knowing he tried his best to find help. People get injured all the time hiking, falling off cliffs, stupid selfie shots, etc. And maybe he wouldn't have been able to live with himself then, either, but the more I think about this and re-read his writing, it just does not seem plausible.

I agree it doesn't seem plausible. But, for the sake or argument, at least in nearby Jackson Hole in late Aug 2021, nighttime temperature as were at or below freezing. Jackson Hole Weather Thursday August 26, 2021 - Buckrail - Jackson Hole, news Jackson Hole Weather Thursday August 26, 2021

If someone really fell in Spread Creek as it was about to get dark, I'm not sure they could easily walk or lean on someone to walk even without a head injury. I'd think hypothermia would set in fast. Story still doesn't make sense though.

I thought going from a left to right orientation, the creek was on the left, the camping area where GP was found was next (and there was a fire ring) and then there was a road and the van was parked on the road. Is that right? I also never really got a feel for how far apart those things were.

"Rushing back to our car trying to cross the streams of [illegible] before it got too dark to see, too cold. I hear a splash and a scream. I could barely see. I couldn’t find her for a moment, shouted her name. I found her breathing heavily, gasping [illegible.] She was freezing cold. [Illegible] the blazing hot national parks in Utah.

They didn't get propelled from 95 degrees to 35 in a matter of a few minutes. They'd been out there some time and knew it got cold at night. Were they not prepared with jackets or coats or even, the idea to return to the rig long before dark? Odd for him to say this like they weren't prepared for it.

In the letter to his parents he writes “I should have known to stay home after what happened in Moab. Everything was already a disaster at that point but something made me return.”

I can’t reconcile this statement with the confession letter. It just doesn’t compute with a “merciful killing” after an accident with a potential life threatening injury.

TAMPA, Fla. – EXCLUSIVE: The first public glimpse of a confession Brian Laundrie left in a notebook in the Florida swamp where he killed himself last year reveals his final words.

"I ended her life," reads the note, which the FBI recovered from the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Oct. 20, 2021. "I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock."

Laundrie wrote that he chose to end Petito's life after she injured herself when she fell in Wyoming. He also wrote: "From the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her."

He also wrote: "From the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her."

<snip>

"Please do not make life harder for my family," the notebook states, "they lost a son and a daughter and a daughter – the most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I'm sorry."

Earlier in the note, he wrote: "I am sorry to my family. This is a shock to them as well [as] a terrible grief (sic)."

Of course he tried to justify it by saying it's what he thought that she wanted. GRRRR!

Did BL write an earlier letter to his parents? I'm confused. If he did I missed that altogether.

Those images were posted months ago and sort of debunked, at least until the actual journal/notebook was analyzed. I've done a bit of graphology/handwriting analysis over the years - Comparing them today, the handwriting is different albeit a bit similar. First difference - the capital letter I has serifs top and bottom. In Brian's notebook entries released today, he doesn't add the serifs. The descenders in the lowercase "y" in his entries released today are curved, but in that previously released doc they are straight. I don't know where that first set originated but I don't think it's by the same person or it probably would have come out by now that there was some truth to it. IMO!

In the letter to his parents he writes “I should have known to stay home after what happened in Moab. Everything was already a disaster at that point but something made me return.”

I can’t reconcile this statement with the confession letter. It just doesn’t compute with a “merciful killing” after an accident with a potential life threatening injury.
I don't think that "letter" that was published online months back is necessarily legitimate. I've yet to read it was, or was not. And handwriting doesn't match the notebook entries published today. Otherwise, yes, I'd totally agree that it's like 2 different plots taking place.

That's possible but he was shooting himself weeks later. His hand looked fine in the camping photos CL shared. And if he'd hurt his hand so badly he couldn't hold a gun and pull a trigger once, he couldn't have written the note. But you are correct IMO an injury is possible. I just don't think it could be as old as when GP was killed.

All MOO
ITA… what a pile of poop this suicide letter is!

But do we know if that letter is real? I think it was published by the Sun in Feb or so but I thought it was later deemed to be fake. Or if not fake, it was never authenticated as being written by BL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans